• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Mercenary Dawn: Steel Phoenixes

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
She spins on her heel to investigate Abdul. "Wow, you really went all out with the dress, didn't you? Bless my soul, such flowery words, too! Inshallah, we'll drink deep of victory while our foes taste naught but the bitter draught of death!" Irene laughs.
Abdul leaned back slightly. "It is a called a thawb," he replied cautiously, then looked past Irene and scanned the room.

"Ok, I'm going to go get read to observe the simulator battle. You've got a few minutes left before it starts if you have anything you need to do first." With that he pockets the PDA and goes to leave the room.
Abdul watched the man leave and then turned back to Irene. "I am sure we shall all do very well in the second simulation. Please excuse me." Abdul slipped into the hall and headed for the break room. It seemed like a good time to get a soda or something.

"Well there you go! I'm planning to try and do the same so I can go back to performing when we're done here. Maybe we could do it together sometime," the woman says brightly.

During all the serious talk about terrible amputations and family loss, Tanu was busy spinning on another chair, spinning faster and faster out of boredom. She was secretly trying to beat her record, though nobody would know that.

When she noticed Abdul leave she hopped from her chair and stumbled immediately, chasing after him with all the grace of a blind drunk. "Hey hey, where are you going dress-man! I'm coming too!" she gasped, "let's go on an adventure! Last time I tried to explore this place a nurse got mad and a security guy had to get involved. That was so lame. I was just trying to sneak into the kitchen to make cookies. Who doesnt love cookies? Gawd, I'm starving just thinking about it. Oh we should make cookies later. Do you like cookies? Also I like your dress, where did you get it?"

She blew another large bubble of gum and popped it.

She blew another large bubble of gum and popped it.
Abdul kept walking as Tanu spoke, but nodded politely as she did so, sprinkling in an idle "yes, yes" somewhere in there, and patiently waiting to see she'd gotten all her words out before speaking. "This is called a thawb. It is a traditional Arabian piece of menswear." Abdul motioned up and down his thawb-covered frame. "I bought it online. I am headed to the break room to get a drink. You might find cookies there."

"A thawb? Heh, never heard of one. Or seen one really. At first I thought you were dressed in a fancy cosplay." She skipped ahead, trying to peek into closed rooms as they passed. When he mentioned the break room a devilish grin spread across her face, "excellent! I got kicked out of the break room 3 days ago but I'm sure if you're with me nobody will care!"

Tanu was practically bouncing with excitement. "Come on, come on, let's go! Before the nurses see! Haha!"

She broke out into a sprint, running down the hall towards the break room.

"A thawb? Heh, never heard of one. Or seen one really. At first I thought you were dressed in a fancy cosplay."
"A fancy what?"

Tanu was practically bouncing with excitement. "Come on, come on, let's go! Before the nurses see! Haha!"

She broke out into a sprint, running down the hall towards the break room.
Abdul wasn't exactly sure how to respond to that so he didn't. He moved along perhaps a little bit faster than he had been. He would be a bit later than Tanu but it wasn't such a long walk that the difference in speed would make that much of a difference. "For what reason where you removed from here?" asked Abdul as he came to the door.

Once the allocated break time is up the pilots are guided back to the simulator pods where they would see a pair of techs marking pods for Abdul and Morrigan to use. Once everyone was inside, Roger’s voice could be heard over their comms channel. “OK, the last one was just to make sure everyone had recovered sufficiently for what is ahead. This simulator is to hopefully test the limits of your abilities. We just ask that you do the best you can.” With that he leaves the communications channel as the simulators finish loading in the new scenario and the group found themselves standing in a forest. Their topographical maps indicated that there was a river to the west and beyond the edge of the rest was some fields backed by hills. In the distance in the hills their sensors would detect an array of Walkers waiting for them, once again ancient designs from Old Earth ranging from nimble, melee oriented Samurai to a massive Volcano, a design that was once known as the most powerful design to come from America before its destruction.

((Battle!
Objectives: Destroy the enemy
Starting Location: Forest 2
Aspects - Fields: Wide Open Spaces, Forest: Dense Trees, River: Deep Waters, Hills: Low Cover
Terrain:
Sim 2 map.jpg
Enemies: 4x Anubis, 4x Lions, 6x Samurai, 4x Stingrays, 1 Marine, 1 Typhoon, 1 Volcano, all in the Hills))

As soon as the Doctor's voice fades from comms, Morrigan starts to move through the trees. Suddenly, Morrigan's voice comes on through the Open Comm channel, "Come and get me you robots. You aren't real, which means I don't have to hold back. And I am going to enjoy every minute of tearing you all apart." Unlike Morrigan's almost bored voice during downtime, she sounds something between excited and angry.

Moves into Forest from Forest 2, rolls +provoke to create an aspect. Roll: (bb++)+4=6
Evasion: 1

Last edited:
"Don't criticize us later for 'doing our best'." Null responds, her artificial voice masking any emotion behind the comment. She then commands her virtual walker to advance into the next forest and takes cover behind in a copse of trees. She taps her finger impatiently on the console as she waits for the simulation to advance.

Stealth
Roll 4 + Skill 3 = 7

Evasion
Roll 2

"Now I reckon if I happen tae maybe charge off straight away that'll end up being a bit of a problem. Better call for now and wait in the forest before playing the cards." Akir comments, comms on but it seems like he's more talking to himself than anyone else. "Some interesting old antiques here too. Hey Junior Fist, Angry girl, Hyper kid, try and buddy up if you can if you're getting up close and personal, otherwise blast away. Looks like we've got a bit more long range support this time round but there's enough of them if you get surrounded it doesn't matter how good you are...your luck'll turn eventually."

He Advises, Oberon moving further into the forest, Akir not really doing anything particularly special. He was now in range of the back of the battlefield, and that was really what he was going for.

Evasion
Roll 0

"Woo! Let's hunt some walkers! Oh boy, think of all the scrap!" Tanu says gleefully, rushing forward with Vampyr and darting into the cover of the forest.

Learning from the previous simulation, she stayed close to the other walkers that went into the forest and simply decided to let them do most of the heavy lifting. If they could distract the enemy walkers than she could easily sneak up on them and hit them with the Vampyr special.

stealth= 0+3
evasion= 0

"Now I reckon if I happen tae maybe charge off straight away that'll end up being a bit of a problem. Better call for now and wait in the forest before playing the cards." Akir comments, comms on but it seems like he's more talking to himself than anyone else. "Some interesting old antiques here too. Hey Junior Fist, Angry girl, Hyper kid, try and buddy up if you can if you're getting up close and personal, otherwise blast away. Looks like we've got a bit more long range support this time round but there's enough of them if you get surrounded it doesn't matter how good you are...your luck'll turn eventually."
Abdul muttered something and then switched on his communications link. "I agree that we should exercise caution," he said. "There are many weak targets among our enemies. I recommend that we remove them first, so that we may more rapidly reduce the number of obstacles before us, and focus on the stronger targets without distraction."

It was only a simulation, so Abdul didn't care to take things too cautiously. Rather than set up, he'd start reducing the enemy numbers right away. He moved his walker closer, but remained in the woods. From behind the trees, he fired a volley of missiles into the air, which came down on the Stingrays.

Move from 'Forest 2' to 'Forest'

Abdul attacks Stingray Group
4df = (b-+b) = 0
+2 from Explosive Weapons skill​
+1 from Large Missile Pod​
+1 from Missile Fire Control System​
Total: 4

Evasion
4df = (+--b) = -1

"They're all at long range? Ah, it's been ages since I've had a chance for a proper shooting gallery!" Irene says over the comm as she takes aim. "Now let's see... I think I'll destroy the Marine first. For some reason it calls to me, unknown why."

((Stay and shoot the Marine. Kinetic Weapons: -2+5= 3. Evasion: 0))

Sara maneuvers her walker into the forest with the others. "Looks like it's a party in here. Mind if I join?" she asks, a smile in her voice.

[Move to Forest (long range). If able, she'll take some pot-shots at the Marine if it's still standing, redirect to the Stingrays if not. Otherwise, she'll stay and bide her time.]

Passive - Notice: 4df = (b+-b) = 0 + 4 Notice = 4

Attack roll: 4df = (bbb-) = -1 + 2 Energy Weapons = -1

Evasion roll: 4df = (-+--) = -2

As Morrigan makes her broadcast, the massive form of the Volcano turns towards her. Despite its rounded and smooth edges, the two gigantic plasma cannons on its shoulders gave it a rather intimidating look, making the lasers dotting its torso and on its arms appear to be afterthoughts then viable weapons as well. Several of those lasers fired, but the beams were largely useless against the Bloodspiller’s reflective armor. That wasn’t the case for the plasma cannons, the pink blasts of destructive energy they fired lashed out against her Walker with savage fury and melting large chunks of armor plating. Thankfully the melee Walker had plenty more to spare.
((All Eyes On Me Aspect made with 2 invokes due to success with style
Volcano attacks, using Power Amp to increase final roll, 3 stress damage dealt to Morrigan))

Null carefully maneuvers closer to the enemy line, somehow avoiding being detected by any of them. Tanu attempts to follow the other pilot’s example and almost succeeds except for the fact that the group of Anubis spots her, the reverse-jointed Walkers quickly turning towards her location before firing the cannons that made up their arms. Thankfully she is able to use the trees as cover, the cannon shells blowing apart virtual foliage instead of her Walker’s armor.

Acting to support his allies, Abdul donates several large missiles at the group of Stingrays, the hapless Walkers reacting far too slowly to the sudden attack and are completely devoured by the explosions. Seeking revenge for its lost comrades, the Typhoon adjusts its position slightly to be able to target Abdul’s machine. Like the Volcano, the Typhoon sports a rounded, almost gentle appearance other than the laser rifles in its hands, additional lasers on the arms themselves, and the trio of vertical missile launchers attached to its back. The Walker almost vanished under the sheer amount of exhaust that came from the missiles launched by those launchers, twelve of the explosive weapons now on their way to his location. Unfortunately despite his best efforts, the Aurangzeb was hit by the majority of the barrage, dealing a high amount of damage.
((Typhoon deals 5 total stress to Abdul. You take 1 stress to a stress box and then soak the other 4 via some combination of Conditions/Consequences (be it two Minor/Fleeting, or one Moderate/Sticky). No point using the 2 stress box as you’d have 3 stress left over and then would need the same combination of Conditions/Consequences to deal with it. Just include your decision in your post along with the name(s) for any Consequences you take))

Akir’s movement through the forest does not go unnoticed as the four Lions, Walkers that appeared to have been cobbled together from various other designs, moved up in order to open fire with the rifles and gatling cannons. His skill at the controls however allowed him to spoil their aim with good use of cover and randomized movements, though it's a close thing and the vast majority of the trees in his area ends up being cut down.
((Tie, Lions get a Boost against Akir, Lions are in the Field))

Despite firing from incredible range, Irene is sure that the shot is good, only for the Marine to move at the last second. The shell just barely grazes the Walker’s armor, not doing any real damage but serving to cause it to stumble for a moment. Sara attempts to take advantage of this and fires her laser, but this time the AI controlled war machine was expecting an attack and agilely dodges out of the way.
((Irene gets a boost against the Marine, the Marine gets a Boost against Sara))

The Marine and the pack of Samurai, all seeking to get within melee range, charge forward from the hills and across the fields to reach the cover of the forest.
((Marine and Samurai pass Piloting check to move two Zones, they are now in Forest.))

Evans joins the majority of his allies by moving forward close to the edge of the forest.

((Battle!
Objectives: Destroy the enemy
Aspects - Fields: Wide Open Spaces, Forest: Dense Trees, River: Deep Waters
Terrain:
Sim 2 map.jpg

Locations
Forest 2: Irene
Forest: Null, Abdul, Tanu, Akir, Morrigan, Sara, Evans, Samurai Group, Marine
Field: Lion Group
Hills: Anubis Group, Typhoon, Volcano

Enemies: 4x Anubis, 4x Lions, 6x Samurai, 1 Marine, 1 Typhoon, 1 Volcano))

"You little fink, how dare you dodge!" Irene says as the Marine evades her. Undeterred, she continues to track the target with her scope as it moves. "You're not getting away so easily!"
((Kinetic: 3+5= 8+2 (boost)= 10 total. Evasion: 0 ))

Last edited:
Unfortunately despite his best efforts, the Aurangzeb was hit by the majority of the barrage, dealing a high amount of damage.
Abdul's seat suddenly jolted and shook him about. "Idiot! May Allah annihilate you!"

He narrowed his eyes. "Right. It's just a simulation. Worthless programs," he grumbled. It looked like most of the internal systems were fine, but reports on the armored shell of his Walker didn't seem good. He flipped his mic back on. "I must pull back some. Do not allow yourself to be overwhelmed by underestimating the numbers of the weak."

True to his word, Abdul moved further back into the forest and sought out some better cover- something to hide behind or use as a shield. He didn't find anything too obscured or sturdy, no massive boulders unfortunately, but thankfully there were some regions of thicker foliage in the woods which he was able to position his mech behind.

Takes sticky consequence "Broken Armor"

Moves to Forest 2

Roll Stealth to create an aspect based on "Unleash hellfire from a space spot"
4df = (-b-b) = -2
+3 from Stealth​
Total: 1

Aspect created: "They're in the Trees" (Invoke if Needed)

Evasion
4df = (-+-+) = 0

Akir grins. "Not too shabby. However, you're small fry. It's time I go for a dance with the big one in the back." He closes his eyes for a moment, and then Oberon springs forwards through the treeline, the heavy mech going all out to it's limits ending up loading up it's stake, charging and leaping into the jaws of death, the heavy spike glinting in the sun for a moment before he brings it down smashing through the Volcano, causing hopefully heavy Damage, seemingly oblivious to the movements of any other unit on the battlefield, or how wide open he is now.

"Sometimes you've just got to take a chance and go all out."

(Move from Forest to the Hills, Booster allows me to do so.

0+2 From using Ante Up as I'm changing zones, +3 from Melee Weapons, +1 for targeting another Juggernaut type walker, for a total of +6, Use fate point for another +2 going to +8 on the Volcano.

Evade: 0

Last edited:
"Wahhh! That's totally rude!" Tanu yelps as the Anubis fire their shots at her. Thankfully, Vampy managed to dash behind some trees, letting the pixelated foliage tank the hits for her. Splinters of wood and fallen branches bounce off of the walker's dark frame, a few getting stuck on it. "Come on, just get a little closer! I promise Vampy will only give you a nibble~!"

Granting her wish, some of the walkers charged ahead, but it was a little more than she thought. There was no way she wanted to be in the middle of that mess, so she decided to let some of her new team members deal with it while she looked for a better opportunity. She would do better with the element of surprise, so Vampy wasted no time in retreating deeper into the forest, trying to hide from the approaching units by stalking among the thicker trees.

stealth= 2 + 3 = 5
evasion= 1

"So much excitement over a simulation." Null comments in her robotic monotone, her simulated walker still hidden in the copse of trees. Offering an artificial sigh, she initiates a simulated hack to disrupt the evasion of the Lion group in the field. In reality, she'd be targeting their radars, comms, or exploiting some weakness in their design. In this simulation she was just applying a status effect. It was boring but necessary to jump these simulated hoops in order to receive the Doctor's clearance to engage in real combat.

Security
Hack Lion Group
Create an Aspect to Decrease Evasion: Compromised Lion Evasion
Roll -1 + Skill 4 = 3

If that's not a Success/Success with Style, burn a Fate Point (Black Hat Hacker) for another +2 if that will make it a Success/Success with Style.

Evasion
Roll -2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back