• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Mercenary Dawn: Steel Phoenixes

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
A groan comes from the doctor in response to Null's comment about having already hacked the sim. Then he becomes distracted by Morrigan's comment, his voice sounding a bit strained as he responds. "This should be the last simulator test that we'll be requiring of you."

"That question would be better suited for the technical team, Abdul. But I'm guessing it's similar to most video games where the people in AI controlled units are just visual stand ins and can't operate independently." Distracted by the question as he was, Roger completely misses what Null is up to.
((Null has a success with style on the Stealth, needs Fate Point to do the actual hacking to make the Aspect with 1 invoke))

"I am afraid you misunderstand me, Dr. Moss. I am asking whether there simulated walkers contain visual representations of pilots, or if they appear to have no pilots in them- whether there is any image of a person or animal in the simulator." Abdul held up a hand. "Let us not worry about it though. I would not normally be so fastidious, and I am sure it will be no issue."

"Oooooh, this is getting more and more interesting by the minute!" Irene says, grinning broadly as she looks at the newcomers. In the blink of an eye she closes distance to Morrigan and inspects her robotic arm, giving the prosthetic an experimental poke. "Looks fancy! Can you rocket punch with it? Or do a radiation wave? If not, you should bug the engineers here about that, you're sitting on a golden, er, chrome opportunity!" She takes a step back. "So your name is Specter O' Death, eh? Guess your parents decided your profession right off the bat, huh? I kid, I kid. Irene's the name, sniping's my game!"

She spins on her heel to investigate Abdul. "Wow, you really went all out with the dress, didn't you? Bless my soul, such flowery words, too! Inshallah, we'll drink deep of victory while our foes taste naught but the bitter draught of death!" Irene laughs. "I was starting to worry we'd be the only adults here, too! Two more recruits for the ranks of the ol-, oh, I mean 'veteran'! Ha! Ah, but seriously, nice to meet both of you! I look forward to seeing what you can do in..."

Irene's eyes glint as her voice drops an octave for a clearly melodramatic tone.

"The SECOND simulation!"

Morrigan remains quiet while Irene harasses her, barely moving, tracking the ball of energy with her eyes as she bounced around. As Irene bounces away to bug Abdul, Morrigan glances down at her arm and mumbles under her breath, "My parents are dead..."

"Not exactly the same, but I have no idea where mine are anymore," Sara says softly, standing next to Morrigan. "Ran away to join the circus as a teenager and never looked back. I'm Sara, by the way," she offers, offering a hand and a warm smile.

"Bandits killed mine", Morrigan replies, taking the hand to shake it, but not returning the smile. In fact, other than her frown earlier, her attitude has barely fluctuated from being calm and rather cold. "My name is Morrigan." As with Tanu, her eyes seem to study Sara intently.

"Ah... well that's certainly one way to do it. I lost my left arm and leg during a border skirmish while traveling with my troupe. IEDs are nasty things," she says with a wince.

Roger 'hmmmm'd' at Abdul's response for a moment before tapping a message in his PDA to send to the technical team. He was pretty sure he knew what the pilot's concern was and the doctor figured it should be a simple matter for the techs to remove any images of people that might appear from the next simulator battle. Once that was taken care of he addressed the group once more. "Ok, I'm going to go get read to observe the simulator battle. You've got a few minutes left before it starts if you have anything you need to do first." With that he pockets the PDA and goes to leave the room.

"Well, I hope you never have to be," Sara replies. "In any case, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'd be happy to help you out," she adds with another smile.

Morrigan simply nods in acknowledgement before leaning against the wall to wait for the next sim. After a moment of silence, though, Morrigan speaks up again. "I don't talk much."

"That's perfectly fine. There are a few talkative people here that more than make up for that," the woman chuckles. "All the same, the offer will always be there."

Well, I know they called you 'Spectre of Death', but it's not a moniker I've heard before," Sara replies with a shrug. "I didn't have any kind of knowledge or contact with walkers until coming here."

Morrigan sighs and stands up off the wall. "You said you ran off to join the circus? What was the circus doing in a warzone?"

"We traveled from place to place, territory to territory. I guess it was only a matter of time before we ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Me especially, since I was the only one seriously hurt. And to add insult to injury, pun intended, I lost my job because of it. Can't really perform if your role requires four functioning limbs," she says wrly.

"Hmmm..." Morrigan leans back against the wall. "Keep your distance from me on the field if you want to keep the rest of your limbs." She gives Sara look of warning but there is no maliciousness behind it.

Sara lofts a brow, though a smile remains on her face. "Then I suppose it's good that I prefer to do things at range rather than up close and personal."

"Hmmm... good." Morrigan gives her a small nod of approval, then scans the room, trying to get a read on the others while they all go about their own business. "Do you know any of these other people?"

"Before today, no. I think the only two who know each other are Akir and Irene, but they're married. It'd be a bit odd to not know who you're married to, after all," she adds with a chuckle. "The group as a whole are pretty... eccentric, I think my be the best term for it. This whole experience certainly won't be boring, by any means."

"The energetic one..." Morrigan points to Tanu harassing someone else, "she knows who I am and is excited. I'd keep an eye on her, she may be the most unpredictable."

Last edited:
"Unpredictable, yes. But I've gotten no impression that she's anything other than extremely friendly... and has an obsession with bubblegum," Sara says with no small amount of amusement. "I've done a lot of people-watching in my former profession. I'm pretty good at reading them at this point."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back