• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Mercenary Dawn: Steel Phoenixes

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Dr. Moss chuckled upon reading the message and soon sent a reply. 'Military technology has advanced over the years, and don't underestimate the usefulness of your enhanced learning abilities.'

While the immediate destruction of a Sunburst caused by Akir and Null may have shaken a force of human enemies, these AI ones quickly started to react as if nothing was wrong. However they were not fast enough as a pinpoint shot from Irene cores a second Walker and Sara sweeps a brilliant blue beam over a group of tanks with explosive results. At the same one of the remaining Sunbursts suddenly seizes up, barely avoiding a fall to the ground, as the unique system on Tanu’s Walker screws with its systems.
((Not sure what happened to the mechanics part for this set of attacks that I had typed up, but Irene and Sara kill their targets))

Amidst the virtual destruction being caused by his allies, Evans rapidly closes in on a group of tanks that tries to back up from him to maintain distance. As he was now inside the minimal range of their cannons they instead open fire upon Null instead. As one they fire their cannons, the shells screaming through the air to hit with deadly force.
((Evans closes to Melee but then Tank Group 1 backs up to Short Range from him and Akir (Long for most others)! The tanks attack Null, getting a total of +3 on their roll due to mob teamwork rules, Null has -1 total to evade. Nullstring takes 3 Physical Stress and has a Boost against it, Off Balance. This happened as when you score a success with style on an attack, you can elect to reduce the damage by 1 to create a Boost upon the target instead.))

One of the other tank groups seeks revenge for the destruction of their peers by opening fire upon the Valkyrie, and while Sara is able to juke her Walker out of the way she does strain its systems a bit in the process.
((Tank Group 3 attacks Sara with +4 total against her +3 evasion total for 1 shift of damage))

The last group of operational tanks target Tanu with a barrage of cannon shells. While she is able to mostly get VAMPYR out of the way, it does suffer a glancing hit from one of the shells to its side, resulting in several pieces of armor plating crashing to the ground.
((Tank Group 4 attacks Tanu with +4 against her +2 evasion total for 2 shifts of damage))

The only Sunburst able to act opens fire against Akir, its hand held machine gun chattering away, the rounds bouncing off Oberon’s thick hide. But that wasn’t its main weapon, the dual-tubed rocket launcher mounted on its left wrist was aimed with much greater care… but it wasn’t enough. The flash from the rocket launch was enough warning for Akir to move his Walker to the side, the twin explosives flying past him to explode somewhere in the distance.
((Sunburst 4 attacks Akir with +2 Explosive Weapons against his +5 evasion total. It misses and Akir can now generate a Boost against it to use next turn!))

((Battle!
Objectives: Destroy enemy targets, each pilot does a 'create an advantage' action at least once
Aspects: Boxed-in Arena, Wide Open Area
Terrain: Open field with clear weather
Enemies: 3 Tank Groups, 2 Sunbursts (Sunburst 2 is stunned)
Tank Group 1 is at Short Distance from Evans and Akir, Long from Tanu and Null, Extreme for everyone else. All other enemies stayed at their original range.))

Last edited:
Null braces herself for the simulator pod's awkward jostling as it tries to emulate that the disorienting effect of being hit by shells but without causing any actual trauma. When the jostling never comes she tilts her head and sends another text message to the Doctor, Yes, I can see that military simulation technology at least has advanced.

Null pilots her virtual walker closer to the tanks that had barraged her while doing the simulation's equivalent of hacking. This time she was trying to limit their offensive capability by...well, in the simulation it was really just applying a status effect. In a real battle she'd be putting a ghost walker on their radar, sending fake orders over their comms, or some other shenanigans.

Null closes to Short Range with the Tanks.

Hack Tank Group 1
Create an Aspect to Aid Evasion: Compromised Tank Targeting
Roll +1
Security +4
If that's not a Success/Success with Style, burn a Fate Point (Black Hat Hacker) for another +2 if that will make it a Success/Success with Style.

Evasion: +1 (Use Compromised Tank Targeting if needed)

GM Edit: Null makes Aspect with 2 free invokes, no Fate point needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Roger's left came the sound of a door sliding open. A taller-than-average man in a long white garb stepped through. He had a straight, regal posture- or at least an earnest attempt at such.

"Dr. Moss," he greeted in accented English. "Peace to you this morning. Forgive me for my lateness." He stepped forward and stopped by the doctor's side, turning his eyes to the displays in front of him. There were about half a dozen screens, each showing their own sweeping view of a broad field. It was a bit disorienting trying to follow more than one or two at a time, so he quickly gave up on that. "What are these? Are they from the simulation which I had heard about?"

Akir grins as Oberon is alerted to the enemy attack, the bullets barely making the breakthrough mech flinch, thanks to that warning shot though, Akir could easily see the incoming explosives and with a practiced dodge, moves to close with his opponent, however unlike the last time he doesn't tear immediately through it, closing to melee and through some fancy cat and mouse pilotting, manuveurs it in such a way that the enemy sunburst is in the way of it's allies fire. "That's it, Dance for me."

(Create an Advantage - Get an evasion boost by using the Sunburst as a impediment/shield.

0+4 Piloting+2 Boost

Success with Style, 2 free evasion invokes.

Evasion roll: 0)

Irene had her sights on the Sunburst engaging Akir, but scowls and shifts targets when he uses it as a makeshift shield.

"I had your dance partner locked on, but I don't want you to be shot through the heart with me to blame," Irene comments as she lines up her sights on the tanks shooting at Tanu and begins exploding them one by one by sending armor piercing explosive shells into their cores. "But one of the youngsters seems like they could use someone to cut in anyway. God! I sound like a spinster talking like that, I need to think of a better term... Aha! 'My young apprentice!' Ha! Perfect!"

Evasion:
Sidekick
BOT
Today at 12:38 AM
TheUnknownMarine TheUnknownMarine : 4df = (+---) = -2

Attack Tank Group 4.

Sidekick
BOT
Today at 12:36 AM
TheUnknownMarine TheUnknownMarine : 4df = (+++-) = 2+4(skill)+1(computer)= 7[/spoilers]

Jason watched the tank group, keeping his eyes on them. Strangely enough, they didn't attack him. He was sure that the lumbering Walker with a clear knack for Melee combat would be one of the first targeted combatants on the field. That being said, he wasted no time closing the distance as quickly as he could. Once in melee range, he raised the hulking fists of Gilgamesh, prepared to demolish all the tanks in this group.

Evasion Dice Roll: +1
Total: +1

Melee Attack Roll:
+4 Melee Weapons Skill
+1 from Support Gear "Improved Artificial Muscles
Dice Roll: -2
Total: +3

Tanu was so caught up in the design of the sunburst, mentally mapping out the schematics for a miniature one, that she almost forgot about the combat zone she was in. She saw the barrage of tank strikes just in time to move her walker. VAMPYR ducked to the side, falling onto all fours as the shells pelted its side. A few of the scrappy plates fell off, but thankfully none of the core mechanisms were harmed.

"No! VAMPY!" Tanu cried out as the walker regained its composure. She turned it around, facing the tanks in the distance. There was no way she could close the distance before another shot, and there was nowhere she could hide in such an open field. Thankfully, she had a team this time.

The walker's head followed the shots directed at the tank group, watching as each was exploded into shrapnel. Tanu's excited voice filled the coms. "Irene! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're like a guardian angel!"

VAMPYR turned back around to look at the stunned Sunburst. "Ok that's it, enough playing with my food. Outer schematics are complete! Time for a little scrapping!"

The walker bounded towards the stunned mech with an awkward gait, much like an ape. Its claw-like fingers dug into the armored plates defending the core, pulling in an effort to dislodge them.

Melee Attack: 0 + 1 = 1
evasion: 0

Sara moves on to another tank group, attempting to replicate the results of her last attacks.

Attack roll: 4df = (-+-b) = -1 + 2 Energy Weapons + 2 Invoke Aspect (Has a rifle and knows how to use it) = 3

Evasion roll: 4df = (b-+b) = 0

“Morning,” the doctor responds in way of greeting before glancing back at the various monitors. “Don’t worry about it, I had been informed that the last of your tests was running late and I’d rather that then find out later that we missed something important for your health.” There is a short pause as Roger taps in a note on his PDA. “And that’s correct, that is the simulator your new teammates are doing right now. I’m not going to pretend to be able to follow everything that is going on, I am more just watching to make sure everyone is responding well to the augmentations in a somewhat more stressful situation. So far they are all doing well.”

Evans quickly closes the gap with his chosen group of tanks, the giant fists of his Walker lashing out once, twice, three times, crushing a tank with each blow. The last vehicle continues to back away, firing upon Null again in the process. However the hacker’s efforts bear fruit as the cannon shell does little more than fly off into the distance.
((Evans crushes 3 tanks in Tank Group 1, Null uses 1 invokes from Compromised Tank Targeting to avoid being hit, the last tank in Tank Group 1 is at Short Distance from Evans, Long from Null))

While Akir’s efforts to keep one of the Sunbursts between him and the other enemies bears fruit, it does nothing to keep that particular Walker from opening fire upon him. However its aim is incredibly poor, leaving it wide open.
((Sun4 attacks Akir but he gets a succeed with style on his defense roll and can make a boost against the Sunburst)

Tanu’s bizarre, home-made Walker quickly closes in on the Walker she had previously disabled and begins tearing at its armor with its claws, ripping off huge chunks of armor and starting to expose actuators and other internal components before the machine comes back to life. Freeing itself, at least for the moment, from VAMPYR’s grasp, it opens fire against Tanu with one of its rockets delivering a nasty hit to the armor.
((Tanu does one shift of damage, Sun2 remains alive and shoots back, doing 2 shifts of damage. As VAMPYR’s 2 shift physical box was already used, this hit uses the next available box which is the 3 shift box.))

Irene’s aim proves deadly against her chosen targets, each tank in the group receiving an expertly placed round that instantly disables them, if not destroying the vehicles outright. This dedication to accurate sniper attacks almost turns into a mistake as a group of tanks closes to firing range, but before they could open fire blue beams from Sara’s laser rifle cuts three of them to pieces. The last tank of that group does manage to get a shot off however, the shell impacting her Walker’s armor.
((Irene kills Tank Group 4. Sarah kills 3 tanks in Tank Group 3, which then attacks Irene for 2 shifts of damage))

((Battle!
Objectives: Destroy enemy targets, each pilot does a 'create an advantage' action at least once
Aspects: Boxed-in Arena, Wide Open Area, Sunny Shield (against Sun4 with 2 invokes), Compromised Tank Targeting (against Tank Group 1 with 1 invoke left)

Terrain: Open field with clear weather
Enemies: 2 Tank Groups (1 damaged), 2 Sunbursts (1 damaged)
Tank Group 1 is at Short Distance from Evans, Long from Akir, Tanu and Null, Extreme for everyone else. Tank Group 3 is at Long Range from Irene, Short against everyone else. Sunburst 2 in Melee with Tanu and at Short Range from most others, Sunburst 4 at Short from Akir, Evans, and Tanu))

“Morning,” the doctor responds in way of greeting before glancing back at the various monitors. “Don’t worry about it, I had been informed that the last of your tests was running late and I’d rather that then find out later that we missed something important for your health.” There is a short pause as Roger taps in a note on his PDA. “And that’s correct, that is the simulator your new teammates are doing right now. I’m not going to pretend to be able to follow everything that is going on, I am more just watching to make sure everyone is responding well to the augmentations in a somewhat more stressful situation. So far they are all doing well.”
"Your concern for me is most kind," said Abdul. "How excellent to hear. I am glad to hear they are well, though unfortunately I have not had the chance to meet any of them. What would you be able to tell me about the other members of this team? Knowing more about them should help me work better with them later on. There are certain secrets I understand we are to keep, but about their demeanor-" Abdul motioned to the mess of monitors. "And their approach to battle. To whatever extent you have been able to discern."

Null noted with satisfaction that the medical exam was almost complete - this exercise was boring but she couldn't risk making things more engaging as that might result in further medical tests. It was a shame, it would have been informative to see how this group reacted to a battalion of shadow mechs blasting through the metal barriers and steamrolling them. Knowing how the others handled defeat would be useful information in the future but, for now, this was the simulator equivalent of an eye exam.

There were only a handful of tanks and walkers remaining. Null targeted the undamaged Sunburst and 'hacked' it so that someone else could take it down more quickly.

Hack Sunburst (The undamaged one)
Create an Aspect to Aid Attack: Compromised Sunburst Evasion
Roll -1
Security +4
Network Targeting Array +1
If that's not a Success with Style, burn a Fate Point (Black Hat Hacker) for another +2 if that will make it a Success with Style.

Evasion: 0

"Well, I've enjoyed this dance but...Time to go methinks." Oberon charges forwards, the familiar stake driver attempting to pierce through the sunburst that Akir had chosen to be his dancing partner. The novelty of the sim was wearing off and the erratic behaviour of his comrades made him feel tired...or in charge of a creche. He wasn't sure yet. The grizzled vet sighs, at least it won't be boring. He watches with a professional satisfaction as the stake pierces through the sunburst. It was all simulated, but that was fine.

Melee attack Sunny 4

-3 +3 Melee +2 Boost Fate Point. +4. Dead sunburst 4.

Evasion roll: 0

Last edited:
Irene scans the battlefield and with the knowledge this is all a simulator, decides to test out a few tactics rather than strike killing blows. Setting her sights on a nearby group of tanks, she loads incendiary charges into her sniper cannon and fires, aiming not at the war machines themselves, but rather the tall grass around them. With a little luck, the grass would ignite and surround the tanks in wildfires intense enough to baffle their thermal sensors and give her teammates some extra ease in avoiding their cannons.

TheUnknownMarine TheUnknownMarine : 4df = (---b) = -3
TheUnknownMarineToday at 11:42 PM
+4+1= 2

Being sure to stay in range of the final group of tanks, Sara takes aim and opens fire.

Attack roll: 4df = (b-b-) = -2 + 2 Energy Weapons + 2 Invoke Aspect (Has a rifle and knows how to use it) = 2

Evasion roll: 4df = (++b-) = 1

“That’s a good question, and one difficult to answer in the time we have,” the doctor responds to Abdul. “They are rather varied in their personalities and backgrounds. For example, Tanu is a scavenger who has managed to build her own Walker out of scrap which has resulted in some rather unique modifications according to the technical staff. Her personality is also among the most positive and energetic of the group. Irene and Akir are used to working together and their Walkers complement each other. She’s a jokester while he’s something of a risk taker.”

Roger pauses as he glances at the battle. It looked like it was going to wrap up rather soon, not leaving him much time to talk about the others. “Null is the result of some unique medical science and is skilled at hacking. Evans is skilled at melee combat and a bit of an eccentric, and finally Sara is setup to be your scout which is fitting given how perceptive she tends to be.” Another glance and he saw that the simulator match was almost over. “But it looks like we are out of time, if you want to know more, well this is your chance to meet them.” A beep from his PDA prompted him to quickly read the message that had popped up. “Looks like one of the others who were also delayed with their testing is now ready so they will be joining you shortly.”

Irene’s ploy of creating fire in the grass near the intact group of tanks may have not as worked as well as she would like, but it was enough. The heat from the fire as well as the smoke it made served to hinder the vehicles’ ability to track Sara’s movements long enough for the scout to find a clear line of fire against the tanks. The blue beams unleashed by her rifle were more than enough to destroy her targets.

At the same time Evans found it a simple matter to chase down the last tank from the group he had been attacking and finish it off. This left only a single, battered Sunburst on the field, easy pickings for the combined might of the group. As soon as it crumpled into a broken heap, their monitors go dark as the simulation ends.

During the short time it took for the pilots to climb out of the simulator pods, Dr. Moss had managed to make his way down to them, with another man in tow. “Ok everyone, that was a good first run! There’s a fifteen minute break for whatever you need to do before the next simulator run...” there is a brief pause before he gestures to the man beside him. “...but I would suggest possibly talking to Abdul here as he will be joining you. There should be another pilot coming here shortly as well.” What Roger didn’t mention was that there was yet another candidate who might be ready shortly, but seeing as they had their augmentation surgery a bit later it was still being debated if they were recovered enough or not.

“But it looks like we are out of time, if you want to know more, well this is your chance to meet them.” A beep from his PDA prompted him to quickly read the message that had popped up. “Looks like one of the others who were also delayed with their testing is now ready so they will be joining you shortly.”
Abdul listened carefully as the doctor spoke. "Very good," he finally replied. "I shall do my best to be in good relation to each of them." He fiddled with his thawb and the agal on his keffiyeh, so as to ensure he was presentable.

"There’s a fifteen minute break for whatever you need to do before the next simulator run...” there is a brief pause before he gestures to the man beside him. “...but I would suggest possibly talking to Abdul here as he will be joining you. There should be another pilot coming here shortly as well.”
Abdul nodded politely at his new compatriots.

They certainly appeared varied.

"Greetings," he said through a slight smile. His hands spread casually but they were merely uncrossed, not extended for any handshakes. "It is my blessed pleasure to meet with all of you. I have been told that you are each favored with great skills. Surely we are to succeed wherever we step, should our power and purpose be combined. If Allah wills," he quickly added.

"Satisfied, Doctor? I've seen loading screens that were more challenging than that battle." Null complains in the usual robotic voice as the Doctor enters the chamber. She doesn't add anything as he introduces the new pilot but continues to examine the inner workings of the simulator pod. Yes, on a second look, the Doctor did see that correctly. In the short time since climbing out of the pod Null had somehow managed to remove a panel and expose some of the inner circuitry. It was probably why her toolkit was resting on top of the simulator pod.

Null does not respond to the new pilot who entered with the Doctor and, indeed, doesn't even turn her helmeted face to face him.

The doctor in charge of their recovery frowns when he spots what Null is doing. "If you are planning on hacking it, please don't. We don't have to fix anything before the next sim."

"...I hacked it earlier." Null answers in the same emotionless artificial voice, tracing a line in the circuity with a finger and pausing as it settles over a capacitor. The technological advancements were incredible and this was just a simulator pod. Not for the first time Null wanted to get a look at a contemporary walker's computer core. Even better would be the facility's mainframe but she hadn't been able to get close...yet. "That's why I wanted to see the new hardware."

“...but I would suggest possibly talking to Abdul here as he will be joining you. There should be another pilot coming here shortly as well.”
"I'm already here doctor. Didn't seem prudent to be later than I already am."
Morrigan stands in the doorway, sounding bored, seemingly more interested in her new cybernetic arm than any of her new team members. "Are we just going to be running simulations? I was told there would be real combat."

"Aww, come on guys! I didn't get to fully gut that sunwalker! Now how am I gonna complete Sundrop?" Tanu pouted, hopping out of her pod. "Ha, just kidding. I can improvise. Nothing could possibly go wrong. I mean I could always just ste- wait Null hacked into that sim? Impressive! Hey Null, you think you could give me some pointers? No reason at all~."

"Oh looksie, new people!"
Tanu seemed excited, but a moment later shocked after she looked at their faces. She blinked a couple times, uncharacteristically silent, then a shit-eating grin spread across her face. "No way... how in the bloody hell did you guys manage to get The Specter of Death? Do you guys even check the backgrounds anymore or do you just not care? Ha! I thought I was the crazy one here!"

As she said that she reached into her pocket and dug out more gum, holding a packet towards Morrigan, "Gum? Sheesh, these guys are totally off their rockers, am I right?!"

Morrigan slowly turns her eyes from her hand to the overly energetic person offering her gum. For a moment she stares quietly at Tanu, then gingerly takes the offered gum with her new hand, slightly pinching it by accident. Morrigan frowns, then pockets the gum before addressing the question.
"My background is exactly why I am here."

"Since simulations have been brought up, I have a question which I must ask." Abdul turned to Dr. Moss. "What will be the content of this upcoming simulation? I recall that the first was of mechanized combat, and I presume the second will be as well. Is there a simulation of pilots inside the combat vehicles, or merely the vehicles themselves, without pilots?"

Interactions: AldurSFC AldurSFC

As the Doctor turned to answer the new pilot, Null discretely pulled a small device from a pouch and secured it on the simulator circuit board. She then set the panel back and began securing it in place.

Security - Create an aspect.
Compromised Simulator Hardware
Roll 0 + 4
If that's not enough, she'll burn a fate point (win first, then start) for another +2.

Stealth
1 + 3 = 4
If that's not enough, she'll burn a fate point (black hat hacker) for another +2.

As she did so, Null sent a text message to Murphy's personal device of choice.

You're the closest thing I have to a male relative. You know I'm not allowed to speak with him but I'm keeping my head covered like a good girl. Can you talk to him for me and see if he's looking for another wife?

Last edited:
Akir reads the message on his somewhat archaic communication device and his lips twitch in a grin, sending a message back. "Not touching that with a bargepole."

Akir looks between the two other newcomers, visually sizing them up and chuckles. "Nice to add two more to the menagerie. I'm sure you're both as equally screwed in the head as the rest of them, so I'll start taking bets who dies horribly first after a week or so."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back