• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ~Magicborne OOC and Bants~

SkyGinge SkyGinge So, I'm reading through all of the lore before I even start my CS and I've noticed that I can't view the map image in the 'Map and Further Lore' section. I have no idea why that is, but I hate to miss out on anything. >.<

For my twins, I really like the idea of one having some kind of disability, which made them rely on the other for guidance in varying scenarios throughout their lives. For example, I was thinking of having one twin with sensory magic, which they overused to the point where they went blind. I haven't settled on the magic of the captured twin yet, but I figured I should bring this up and get feedback before I push the idea forward. Ideally, the blind twin would've had this disability long enough to learn how to get around town comfortably, but then they would be challenged upon having to leave.

I understand this concept could be very challenging at times and potentially derail scenes, so I'll toss it if y'all mostly dislike it. I just got it from the Maximum Ride book series, as one character is blind in it, but he's still a capable fighter and can fly without the blindness necessarily crippling him too much. The only time it's crippling for him is when he's on his own without someone to give him directions here and there. Thus, it'd be a big challenge for the blind twin to have to embark on an adventure to find her lost brother.

SkyGinge SkyGinge Semblance Semblance

Just letting you two know I've finally fixed my post. I edited the whole Cordelius Fugal and the scroll with the twin names out of the post altogether. Sorry for jumping the gun on that one. I promise next time I'll let you two know before I plan to do something like that again. I don't know how you two feel about it, but at the time of that post I was pretty stoned.

I won't be "writing under the influence" again.

:)

For my twins, I really like the idea of one having some kind of disability, which made them rely on the other for guidance in varying scenarios throughout their lives. For example, I was thinking of having one twin with sensory magic, which they overused to the point where they went blind. I haven't settled on the magic of the captured twin yet, but I figured I should bring this up and get feedback before I push the idea forward. Ideally, the blind twin would've had this disability long enough to learn how to get around town comfortably, but then they would be challenged upon having to leave.

I understand this concept could be very challenging at times and potentially derail scenes, so I'll toss it if y'all mostly dislike it. I just got it from the Maximum Ride book series, as one character is blind in it, but he's still a capable fighter and can fly without the blindness necessarily crippling him too much. The only time it's crippling for him is when he's on his own without someone to give him directions here and there. Thus, it'd be a big challenge for the blind twin to have to embark on an adventure to find her lost brother.

I personally like the idea of a blind twin. Actually I love it!

Now if I were to follow through with my blind twin, would it makes sense for me to give her strong perception? For example, many people who lose one sense IRL tend to experience all of their other senses getting stronger to compensate for the lost sense.

I was actually doing something pretty similar, though reversed, where my second twin had a disability from overusing their magic and the main twin looked out for them. There are enough differences that it wouldn't be carbon copy characters (I hate feeling like i copied someone else's idea XD), but it might make for some interesting interactions. Especially when one half of the siblings are kidnapped, my main character would be pretty frantic trying to get back to her brother since he would depend on her for a lot of things. But I could see her kind of "adopting" your blind character, maybe even before the kidnapping happened, like she would have seen the similarities and wanted to help out the disabled twins because of some motherly instinct and looking out for them. Lemme know what you think, maybe we can work out some kind of pre-story character relationships, it might make for an interesting character development.

I was actually doing something pretty similar, though reversed, where my second twin had a disability from overusing their magic and the main twin looked out for them. There are enough differences that it wouldn't be carbon copy characters (I hate feeling like i copied someone else's idea XD), but it might make for some interesting interactions. Especially when one half of the siblings are kidnapped, my main character would be pretty frantic trying to get back to her brother since he would depend on her for a lot of things. But I could see her kind of "adopting" your blind character, maybe even before the kidnapping happened, like she would have seen the similarities and wanted to help out the disabled twins because of some motherly instinct and looking out for them. Lemme know what you think, maybe we can work out some kind of pre-story character relationships, it might make for an interesting character development.
Omg, this would make for some amazing (and adorable) interactions in the future. I 100% approve of this idea. :3

That sounds reasonable to me.

In real life my dads damn near deaf, but I'll tell you what! He can smell and see much better than me.

Also I've seen many role players, who play blind characters, give their character a kind of balance. Meaning they may be blind but they can hear someone creeping up on them. It's actually fairly common in my experience, although I've never actually played a physically disabled character, I've just seen them played like that.

Ah I heard it's a great series! This is the second time in the last week that I've heard of Mistborn being related to some fantasy magic RP. It's definitely on my to-read list, now that it's certainly caught my intrigue

It has a really cool magic system - writing's a bit rough around the edges in a few places but it's very engrossing, managed 250 pages in one of my sleep deprived nights! :D

Lioness075 Lioness075 : The idea sounds great to me! We already have two characters with similar conception (i.e Black's Sylvio and Stick's planned twin), but as Stickdom Stickdom says I think there's enough variance, it makes sense within the world with magic being so volatile, and also it'd be the first main story character to be in that vein, so I approve of the idea - and having raised natural perception would be fine too as yeah, that's a real phenomenon I can confirm happens because my dad has incredibly bad eyesight, yet has amazing hearing as a result!

Omg, this would make for some amazing (and adorable) interactions in the future. I 100% approve of this idea. :3
So, basic summary of my twin, just to throw it out there as well. My disabled twin would have practiced Earth magic and he used to work in the mines alongside his father. But when a cave-in occurred, he used up an enourmous amount of magic in one burst to try to stop it. It only partially worked, and he ended up turning part of himself to stone, right on his chest, so he has some pretty bad heart problems. I imagine it almost like leprosy or some other skin disease, where it's slowly creeping over his body over the years. So I picture him going from being an active, hard-working member of society to not being able to do hard labor without collapsing. He changed his course, staying at home now and actually turning his hand at a craft, pottery. He uses what little magic he dares to help shape the pieces he's crafting, and he's a skilled artist after several years practice. But he still longs to be active and run around the village with the other ones his age, and he feels like he's kind of a failure of their generation.

So, long way around, Lioness075 Lioness075 , the kind of character interaction I was thinking was that our two disabled twins became rather close over time. I have a picture in my head of my twin sitting outside of his house and spinning a potter's wheel while your blind twin sits nearby, he tells her stories and sings while he works and she enjoys his company because she feels he can understand her without thinking she's just some pitiful cripple, while my main twin watches over them both like a "big sister" even though they're all the same age. I don't want to assume too much about your character and their personality or habits, so it's open to changes and ideas you have as well :3

The ultimate challenge now is finding the face claim. I swear this is the part I always get stuck on.

The ultimate challenge now is finding the face claim. I swear this is the part I always get stuck on.
I happen to be a master of google-fu also, I can find just about anything you want XD I'll see if I can pull up something that looks like what you might be interested in :3

So, basic summary of my twin, just to throw it out there as well. My disabled twin would have practiced Earth magic and he used to work in the mines alongside his father. But when a cave-in occurred, he used up an enourmous amount of magic in one burst to try to stop it. It only partially worked, and he ended up turning part of himself to stone, right on his chest, so he has some pretty bad heart problems. I imagine it almost like leprosy or some other skin disease, where it's slowly creeping over his body over the years. So I picture him going from being an active, hard-working member of society to not being able to do hard labor without collapsing. He changed his course, staying at home now and actually turning his hand at a craft, pottery. He uses what little magic he dares to help shape the pieces he's crafting, and he's a skilled artist after several years practice. But he still longs to be active and run around the village with the other ones his age, and he feels like he's kind of a failure of their generation.

So, long way around, Lioness075 Lioness075 , the kind of character interaction I was thinking was that our two disabled twins became rather close over time. I have a picture in my head of my twin sitting outside of his house and spinning a potter's wheel while your blind twin sits nearby, he tells her stories and sings while he works and she enjoys his company because she feels he can understand her without thinking she's just some pitiful cripple, while my main twin watches over them both like a "big sister" even though they're all the same age. I don't want to assume too much about your character and their personality or habits, so it's open to changes and ideas you have as well :3
Okay, I'm planning to make my main twin be super friendly, optimistic, and an overall cheerful personality type. The captured twin will likely be more serious, but not necessarily angsty or moody. He'd probably take up the protective personality type, probably be overprotective of his sister at times and annoying her.

In the scene you've created, I could totally see my female twin, whom I'm naming Leandra, chilling with your disabled twin and thoroughly enjoying his company. Let's say over time, my male twin, whom I shall name Manjano, grows accustomed to your disabled twin and slowly learns to trust him in keeping Leandra safe. Thus, in this scene, Manjano might not be around atm since he feels uncomfortable around your main character, who can get all motherly and such. He's too serious and thinks it's weird that she acts like that around others her age. XD

I happen to be a master of google-fu also, I can find just about anything you want XD I'll see if I can pull up something that looks like what you might be interested in :3
Well, I haven't delved into Google just yet myself. I'll see what I can dig up and if I really can't find anything, then I may call on your expertise. :P

Okay, I'm planning to make my main twin be super friendly, optimistic, and an overall cheerful personality type. The captured twin will likely be more serious, but not necessarily angsty or moody. He'd probably take up the protective personality type, probably be overprotective of his sister at times and annoying her.

In the scene you've created, I could totally see my female twin, whom I'm naming Leandra, chilling with your disabled twin and thoroughly enjoying his company. Let's say over time, my male twin, whom I shall name Manjano, grows accustomed to your disabled twin and slowly learns to trust him in keeping Leandra safe. Thus, in this scene, Manjano might not be around atm since he feels uncomfortable around your main character, who can get all motherly and such. He's too serious and thinks it's weird that she acts like that around others her age. XD

Well, I haven't delved into Google just yet myself. I'll see what I can dig up and if I really can't find anything, then I may call on your expertise. :P

See, pictures are easy, but names are my bane, I haven't thought of one for my disabled twin yet, i'll just call him Twin for now, the main twin's name is Nadiya, I know that much already. How old were you planning on having Leandra be when she lost her sight? It might make a difference depending on who has been disabled longer, since she might have known Twin before she lost her sight, or was she already blind when his accident occurred? That might make a difference in how they interact too.

See, pictures are easy, but names are my bane, I haven't thought of one for my disabled twin yet, i'll just call him Twin for now, the main twin's name is Nadiya, I know that much already. How old were you planning on having Leandra be when she lost her sight? It might make a difference depending on who has been disabled longer, since she might have known Twin before she lost her sight, or was she already blind when his accident occurred? That might make a difference in how they interact too.
True, true, I hadn't thought of that. How old was your twin when he became disabled?

I was thinking it might actually be nicer if Leandra lost her sight before seeing your disabled twin. That way, she can't even pass judgement on him for however he may look now. Like, she only would know his appearance as he was before the accident. The only awkward part being that she'd have to touch him to know what he looks like. O.o I'd imagine she asks permission to touch everyone's face when she first meets them just so that she can try to picture how they look. She would've had her sight long enough to know what each color looks like.

True, true, I hadn't thought of that. How old was your twin when he became disabled?

I was thinking it might actually be nicer if Leandra lost her sight before seeing your disabled twin. That way, she can't even pass judgement on him for however he may look now. Like, she only would know his appearance as he is after the accident. The only awkward part being that she'd have to touch him to know what he looks like. O.o I'd imagine she asks permission to touch everyone's face when she first meets them just so that she can try to picture how they look. She would've had her sight long enough to know what each color looks like.

I imagine Twin's accident would have happened when he was closer to adult than child, you don't let a kid work in a mine unless they're a slave. So I'm thinking it happened at about 14 or 15 years old. I don't know what level of magic he'd have to use in order to cripple himself, but for a kid that age, trying to hold up an entire cave-in would probably do the trick.

I imagine Twin's accident would have happened when he was closer to adult than child, you don't let a kid work in a mine unless they're a slave. So I'm thinking it happened at about 14 or 15 years old. I don't know what level of magic he'd have to use in order to cripple himself, but for a kid that age, trying to hold up an entire cave-in would probably do the trick.
Yeah, I'd imagine so lol. Okay, then let's say Leandra lost her sight at the age of 13. I meant to say in my previous message that she'd only know how he looked before he was disabled.

I want to think of a new weapon to mix things up, but I keep falling back to a staff making the most sense for Leandra to have.

Yeah, I'd imagine so lol. Okay, then let's say Leandra lost her sight at the age of 13. I meant to say in my previous message that she'd only know how he looked before he was disabled.
Yeah, I was a little confused about how they would have grown up together and not seen each other XD Which also means that he wasn't crippled when she lost her sight, so he knew the risks of using too much magic firsthand and attempted to do it anyway. But he would have been a kind-hearted boy at that age, he probably would have been the first one to help her out when she first lost her sight, that might be the start of their friendship, and by the time Twin had his own accident, Manjano would have known him for a year or two and the trust would be there. Nadiya doesn't actually act like a "mother", she's just very similar to Manjano actually, protective and deep down she's a provider, she just wants her brother to be happy.

I want to think of a new weapon to mix things up, but I keep falling back to a staff making the most sense for Leandra to have.
Well, what is her occupation? What does she do for a living? What did she want to do before she was blind? What does her family do? If she's blind, would she really have need of a weapon at all?

Yeah, I was a little confused about how they would have grown up together and not seen each other XD Which also means that he wasn't crippled when she lost her sight, so he knew the risks of using too much magic firsthand and attempted to do it anyway. But he would have been a kind-hearted boy at that age, he probably would have been the first one to help her out when she first lost her sight, that might be the start of their friendship, and by the time Twin had his own accident, Manjano would have known him for a year or two and the trust would be there. Nadiya doesn't actually act like a "mother", she's just very similar to Manjano actually, protective and deep down she's a provider, she just wants her brother to be happy.
I mean, throw anyone in a situation like that and with a heart, they'd probably do the same thing.

I feel like they could've grown up as close friends before each experienced their accidents. Then after Twin helped Leandra work through her disability, Leandra would've done the same for him.

Yeah, that's the side of Manjano that he tries to hide from everyone. If you read any Blue Exorcist or have seen the show, I like to think Manjano's personality will be a lot like Yukio's.

Well, what is her occupation? What does she do for a living? What did she want to do before she was blind? What does her family do? If she's blind, would she really have need of a weapon at all?
The idea is that she was skilled with a bow before she lost her sight and she grew into the hunter trade with her skill. But she lost her sight, which she loved to enhance to help with both shooting accuracy and tracking. With the loss of her sight, she had to give up her bow and would've adapted to a staff. I don't necessarily mean it to be a weapon for her, though. It's more of a walking stick than anything else. Being blind and considering the personality I want to give her, I really don't plan on making her too combat-oriented. She'll end up being more of a support fighter than anything else. She can help the team with potentially avoiding traps or even ambushes, tracking with her other senses, etc.

MrBossMan MrBossMan : I don't think I ever specified - I think it would make sense if people were immune to their own magic as a general rule, otherwise you'd have Ignal mages setting themselves on fire all the time.

On another note, Lioness075 Lioness075 and Semblance Semblance , I may be guessing completely wrong but do you guys do that thing where you have linking character names? I've definitely seen those two twin names from you before Lioness, and Semblance checking back at Magistone your character there was also a Rylan with a name beginning with A :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back