• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ~Magicborne OOC and Bants~

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom

~Magicborne~
Main RP Thread ~ Magic System ~ Map and Further Lore ~ Out of Character ~ Character Application ~ Rules and Chapters

0c79b57cff326726f59c8ba93ef4bd1a.jpg

Welcome to the writer's library, home of this story's writing masterminds! Please use this thread to make friends, post memes and discuss character interactions and relationships! I'll also be tagging everyone here whenever we have an announcement to make! If you have any questions about the RP, either drop me a PM or ask away here, though please check out the list of answered questions below first as that might well contain the answer you need!

As a very general introduction, Magicborne is a detailed fantasy RP that will be running over the summer, lead by myself and my co-GM Semblance Semblance . The RP will begin in Bordissa as we play out the fateful night our characters' twins are kidnapped, and then follow them across Nortalis on their quest to discover what happened to their twins. We will also have the opportunity to play their kidnapped siblings in brief interludes as they find themselves subjected to imprisonment and worse. The focus of the RP will be exploring how our characters deal with the traumas of their journey, how they bond and interact, and there'll be plenty of high-stakes combat sequences along the way!
Q: What age does magic start to surface?
A: Still being discussed by the GMs! But regular tutelage, which everybody receives, starts at about 10-11.
Q: Details about the war?
A: Check out a new part in the Further Lore section!
Q: What happens with Necromantic dark magic attacks?
A: The exact form of expression (i.e shards, waves, beams, etc.) is down to the magician, but the magic itself has the sole affect of hurting without an addition affects.
Q: How much do people know about Vampyres?
A: People know they exist, but people don't know how somebody becomes a Vampyre, especially in rural communities like ours; as you might expect, there's a lot of urban legend.
Q: Can twins have different magic veins?
A: Yes they can!
Q: What kinds of blessings/buffs can a charmer give?
A: Stuff such as increased durability, strength, precision, speed, efficiency, etc. (arrows could be shot more accurately, shields could be more durable, poisons can be more toxic, etc.)
Q: Do channeling items stack?
A: No, because of the nature of them - you're chanelling magic into an external object so that that object takes the short-term strain you would otherwise take.
Q: Are pets allowed?
A: If you're sensible with them, and use domestic animals, then if you must :P

~Current Chapter~

CHAPTER ONE: Night TerrorsMain Objective: Play-out the dramatic circumstances of the twins' capture!
Minor Objectives: Introduce characters; ???; ???

It has been a warm summer's day in the backwater village of Bordissa. For some, Bordissa has been their lifelong home - for others, they have only recently arrived, or will arrive as the RP starts. It is six o'clock, and for most the day's work is done, and the towns youngsters begin to gradually congregate around the town square, or perhaps in the local tavern, The Lost Badger, or perhaps somewhere else of your choosing! The plan is we spend a few posts introducing the characters, playing around with both twins briefly and showing a bit of normal life. Then we'll send our character back to their homes, with the possibility of either writing out what happens over dinner, or simply timeskipping and sending them straight to bed. From here, the fateful events that kickstart our tale shall begin to unravel...

Last edited:
SkyGinge SkyGinge I am planning on making a character whose dreamweaver magic is frequently used for the purpose of taming animals. I will detail on how this would work exactly in my CS, but I realized this may mess a bit with the stat system. Should I consider the animals a weapon and thus make stats just for my character regardless of them, or should I consider them part of my character?

Idea Idea : Good question - looking forward to seeing how that plays out! My gut is saying that would probably best fit under aptitude as it's one of the main ways your character uses their magic. Twins can have different veins - mine certainly will :)

SkyGinge SkyGinge I am planning on making a character whose dreamweaver magic is frequently used for the purpose of taming animals. I will detail on how this would work exactly in my CS, but I realized this may mess a bit with the stat system. Should I consider the animals a weapon and thus make stats just for my character regardless of them, or should I consider them part of my character?
I'll leave this question to Ginge! Are you planning on having your character create illusions for animals and manipulating them that way?

Oh and can twins have different magic strains?
Yes they can!

Oh, you´re online Semblance Semblance . Congrats on putting together this amazing looking RP :3

Could you maybe answer my questions (above)?
Although I would love to take credit on this amazing RP, this was basically ALL conjured up in the brilliant, creative mind of Ginge. I am simply a humble servant

alright, thanks! I was a little disappointed when I saw the age restriction (I´m a big fan of making child characters), but given the plot I should have figured. Meh, not a deal-breaker. I´ll get working on things right away!

I'll leave this question to Ginge! Are you planning on having your character create illusions for animals and manipulating them that way?
The idea was to use traps to catch animals and manipulate their dreams to gradually make herself more appealing or dominating to them.

Idea Idea : That's some fantastic creativity - and yeah, I would classify that under Aptitude :)

I'll be posting my sheets up tomorrow, but for anyone curious I'm making an Acquarian main character with a Sanitigion sister!

I'm going to be off site now until morning my time, but feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything; alternatively Semblance will be around to answer things too :)

Last edited:
SkyGinge SkyGinge

I know remembering you saying that you could potentially have more then one magic right? If that's so I'd have one magic vein and the other would be not so effective since it isn't a magic vein? Sorry if I'm not making sense.

SkyGinge SkyGinge

I know remembering you saying that you could potentially have more then one magic right? If that's so I'd have one magic vein and the other would be not so effective since it isn't a magic vein? Sorry if I'm not making sense.
If they did, they changed it since. The rules or character sheet now say you can really only have one

SkyGinge SkyGinge

The other would still be considered a magic vein, but you would barely be able to do anything with that vein since most of your magic energy will be consumed by the dominant vein. Thus, it is very highly recommended in this world (and in this RP) that everyone specializes in only one vein because the amount of energy that your second vein consumes would be much more effectively used in your dominant vein. Does that make sense?

Will some knowledge of coding be required? And how does one operate the stat blocks on the Character page? Semblance Semblance
No knowledge of coding is required! Feel free to beautify (or not beautify) your post however you like

Here is the code for the side stat block (that you can customize according to your character):
Code:
[side=right][sh][B]Stats:[/B][/sh]
[I]Edit the bars to allocate your stats: each character begins with [B]twenty[/B] points to spend, with no higher than [B]6[/B] allowed in any one stat. Copy and paste the shaded and unshaded boxes accordingly (and feel free to colour them in!)[/I]
[table][tr][th]Stat[/th][th]Value[/th][th]Total[/th][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(139, 0, 0)]Technique[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(47, 79, 79)]Physicality[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(0, 255, 0)]Intelligence[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(218, 165, 32)]Perception[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 205)]Aptitude[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 255)]Fortune[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[/table][/side]

Last edited:
The other would still be considered a magic vein, but you would barely be able to do anything with that vein since most of your magic energy will be consumed by the dominant vein. Thus, it is very highly recommended in this world (and in this RP) that everyone specializes in only one vein because the amount of energy that your second vein consumes would be much more effectively used in your dominant vein. Does that make sense? (Ginge, correct me if I'm wrong!)

No knowledge of coding is required! Feel free to beautify (or not beautify) your post however you like

Here is the code for the side stat block (that you can customize according to your character):
Code:
[I]Edit the bars to allocate your stats: each character begins with [B]twenty[/B] points to spend, with no higher than [B]6[/B] allowed in any one stat. Copy and paste the shaded and unshaded boxes accordingly (and feel free to colour them in!)[/I]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(139, 0, 0)]Technique[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(47, 79, 79)]Physicality[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(0, 255, 0)]Intelligence[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(218, 165, 32)]Perception[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 205)]Aptitude[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 255)]Fortune[/COLOR][/td][td]⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜[/td][td][B]?[/B][/td][/tr]
[/table][/side]
Thank you so much! Let me try to use the code here.

Code:
[/table][/side]

Stats:Edit the bars to allocate your stats: each character begins with twenty points to spend, with no higher than 6 allowed in any one stat. Copy and paste the shaded and unshaded boxes accordingly (and feel free to colour them in!)
StatValueTotal
Technique⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜?
Physicality⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜?
Intelligence⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜?
Perception⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜?
Aptitude⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜?
Fortune⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜?

A few question regarding Necromancers!

Is there a limit to the undead that they are capable of reanimating? As well, when reanimating, would one be constantly casting to keep them active, or would the corpses not require a source of power once brought back? Also, the dark energy-based attacks, much to note on how the energy itself affects others, as well as how it is used to attack? Orbs of energy, shards, or would that be the mage's choice?

Also what age would it appropriate for the surfacing of magic for our characters?
We will get back to you on that in a bit!

A few question regarding Necromancers!

Is there a limit to the undead that they are capable of reanimating? As well, when reanimating, would one be constantly casting to keep them active, or would the corpses not require a source of power once brought back? Also, the dark energy-based attacks, much to note on how the energy itself affects others, as well as how it is used to attack? Orbs of energy, shards, or would that be the mage's choice?
Yes there is a limit to how many corpses they are capable of reanimating, which would depend on the aptitude stat of your character at the moment

My take on this is that yes, I believe the corpses would still need a source of power once brought back to life (otherwise, an advanced necromancer could dedicate all his time to reanimating all the corpses and letting them run free through the cities!) I would also assume that the longer you want a corpse to stay alive, the more energy it would take

Regarding the nature of the dark energy-based attacks, that would be up to the mage :)

My take on this is that yes there is a limit to how much they are capable of reanimating, which would depend on the aptitude stat of your character at the moment.

And yes, I believe the corpses would still need a source of power once brought back to life (otherwise, an advanced necromancer could dedicate his life to reanimating all the corpses and let them run free through the cities!) However, I would assume that the energy it takes to bring a corpse back to life will be more than the energy it takes to keep a corpse alive.

Regarding the nature of the dark energy-based attacks, that would be up to the mage :)

Lovely, thanks for clearing that up! Another question that juuuust sprung up, how advanced would the culture and world be when compared to the real world century-wise? Any difference when we take magic into account? Hoping to figure out juuust how advanced the world might be, especially technology-wise, when magic's taken into account!

giphy.gif

I'm actually super intrigued looking at everything that's been put into this roleplay and the fact that you have a defined end date is an exciting kind of scary. I'd love to at least follow this if I don't end up writing an app!

Lovely, thanks for clearing that up! Another question that juuuust sprung up, how advanced would the culture and world be when compared to the real world century-wise? Any difference when we take magic into account? Hoping to figure out juuust how advanced the world might be, especially technology-wise, when magic's taken into account!

giphy.gif
The setting of this RP is medieval/renaissance, which I believe coincides with around 10th-14th centuries. So very basic technology such as windmills, clocks, agricultural techniques for planting crops, etc. When taking magic into account, specific areas that require certain techniques would attract certain mages and their abilities. For example- a wind mage could enhance the efficiency of windmills or a fire mage could work in the furnaces as a blacksmith. Because the magic veins are tied to the universe and nature itself, mages mainly use their abilities to enhance or support the technology that already exists, but not necessarily affect it directly. So to answer your question, the technology used in this world would be equivalent to the typical technology you would see in a medieval setting :)

I'm actually super intrigued looking at everything that's been put into this roleplay and the fact that you have a defined end date is an exciting kind of scary. I'd love to at least follow this if I don't end up writing an app!
Yes we intend on taking this story to its end! Hope you end up joining but we really appreciate your interest even if you end up becoming a reader instead :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back