• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Grey Stone gave a shrug of his shoulders. "Oh yes, I forgot that your Caste gets divinely ordained diplomatic immunity." he admitted to Aredin.
"De ghost who has killed Dunbar Kirk will honor de immunity? If de ghost is mad, den the ghost goes by its own rules."

Fat Cat rubs his chin and looks toward the two towers. "Perhaps I can follow you, Aredin, and alert de others if tings go wrong?"

"He has no choice but to honor it. The very laws that govern reality enforce it. It is an ancient magic, wrought by either by my forebears or the gods themselves. I presume the latter. You are welcome to accompany me if you wish, but I must ask that you only observe and refrain from any violence. Otherwise, he will become free to attack us in self-defense." Aredin starts to move, pauses then turns again. "This doesn't mean he won't try to provoke you, however... Do mind your wits, he may try to deceive or manipulate you into breaking the peace."

"If I were to follow at a discreet distance, and stay unseen in the ample shadows of this place, that would not hinder your immunity, correct? Then you would have another ally close at hand."

Amara looks about, saying, "I am not comfortable with the idea of you going in alone, even with your diplomatic immunity. If we all are together, and do nothing hostile to this spirit, can we join you? That way if things go badly, we can all be there to help watch each other's backs."

As you talk, the wood spirit listens, but doesn't step in to interrupt your conversation. She watches Aredin closely, waiting to hear his response.

What do you do?

"He has no choice but to honor it. The very laws that govern reality enforce it. It is an ancient magic, wrought by either by my forebears or the gods themselves. I presume the latter. You are welcome to accompany me if you wish, but I must ask that you only observe and refrain from any violence. Otherwise, he will become free to attack us in self-defense." Aredin starts to move, pauses then turns again. "This doesn't mean he won't try to provoke you, however... Do mind your wits, he may try to deceive or manipulate you into breaking the peace."
Rykon Rykon

O Mighty Fat Cat solemnly bows his head in agreement and ends his statement with a touch of humor. "I will do as you advise. You have always been betta at dealing wit tings like dis dan me!"

"If I were to follow at a discreet distance, and stay unseen in the ample shadows of this place, that would not hinder your immunity, correct? Then you would have another ally close at hand."
Da Chonk remains silent at this offer feeling it is not for him to decide.

Amara looks about, saying, "I am not comfortable with the idea of you going in alone, even with your diplomatic immunity. If we all are together, and do nothing hostile to this spirit, can we join you? That way if things go badly, we can all be there to help watch each other's backs."
But when Da Chonk hears this, he shakes his head and speaks up. "I don' like it. What is to stop de ghost from first attacking de Solars it hates so much first and den dealing wit Aredin after? De ghost has business too, no? Business of killing de Solars it hates." The Lunar swishes one toe through the soft grass in thought.

"Politics are games - and in dis particular game wit dis ghost is of life and death - a game I bet de ghost knows well."

"Truthfully, I would prefer to be alone to meet like this as a general rule. He'll be easier to read when focused on a single individual. Practically speaking anyways." Aredin sighed "I also admit the lack of faith in my ability to handle this situation stings somewhat, but I'd be lying to say the risks of someone tagging along being tricked into violating immunity didn't concern me. I understand everyone wants to participate and sate their curiosity so it's not like I can stop you." Aredin set the lute down and picked Adorei back up in her scabbard to buckle at his hip. "However... If you intend to watch in secret, you will likely be recognized as apart from my entourage and therefore offered no protection. So again, I'd prefer to go alone, but if you insist in tagging along we have to be direct and mind our manners. This is a legitimate negotiation and he will have no choice but to respect that as a part of diplomatic immunity."

The Eclipse drew his Daiklave admiring the light reflected from her surface with a smirk before resheathing her. "And even if it were possible to bypass... I can hold my own in a scrap. Including against Exalts, dead or otherwise."

Fat Cat had to chuckle at this - Aredin never changed. He was certain of himself until he wasn't certain of himself. Aredin was very confident and did what he did very well until he got captured and woke up unconscious, weaponless, and nearly bare-bunned in a creaky dirty wagon.

Still, O Mighty Fat Cat couldn't help but admire Aredin's confidence and his desire to do what he did as a Solar. Fat Cat had no doubt that when the time eventually came, the savvy bard would die his own man. Fat Cat was convinced; no one could take that admirable trait away from Aredin.

"You mistake intent, my good friend." Da Chonk replies to Aredin with his Cheshire grin.

Perhaps you and your friends will be successful in removing the ancient ghost and finally cleanse this manse of the hate of this Wyld Hunt that killed dear Dunbar.

"My only desire is to watch your back," Fat Cat nods, his own confidence showing. "You believe yourself to be dis great Solar Dunbar Kirk's betta? Who am I to tell you no?"

O Mighty Fat Cat settles in place and continues to admire the beauty of the broken manse. "I stay here," the Lunar says with finality.

"Jus' rememba. You were supposed to meet wit me to conclude a deal. I have my part of the deal; I bet you have yours. You betta not die before that deal is done!" Fat Cat cannot help but chuckle good-naturedly again.

"I will be cheering for you... until your return."

Antonia once more points at one of the towers, saying, "The shade haunts Dunbar's old living quarters there. I will say that while it was instrumental in the death of my friend, there were many others that fell in their efforts to end Dunbar's life, but this one is the only ghost that has lingered for all these years since that dark day. I fear that your efforts to talk with this spirit will not end well, but I wish you luck in your negotiations."

She turns her attention to the rest of the Circle and says, "In the meantime, so long as you do not try to take the hearthstone from the mantle or attack the guardians, you are safe here. Feel free to wander as you will." With that, the green-skinned woman sets herself down on the green grass and daintily crosses her legs, getting comfortable for however long the wait will be for Aredin to talk with the ghost.

Silent Glade inclines his head in acknowledgement of Aredin's wishes. "I mean no slight on your capabilities, and shall respect your request, Aredin. I shall remain here, but hold myself ready in case a fight becomes inevitable."

So saying, he settles himself, also with his legs folded under him, on the sward covering the manse's floor, within conversational distance of Antonia. After a moment, he addresses her: "As I may have mentioned, I am a Shaman by upbringing, a native of this Direction but not of this locale - my home lies many miles deeper into the east. In the nature of my position, I have collected a great many tales of the forest-lands, and I would love to add to my collection. While we wait for our diplomatic friend, would you tell me a story of this place? And if it pleases you, I can respond in kind."

[OOC: I'm not necessarily expecting an improvised tale actually written out - it's just something for Glade to pass the time. Unless you want to, of course!]

"Truthfully, I would prefer to be alone to meet like this as a general rule. He'll be easier to read when focused on a single individual. Practically speaking anyways." Aredin sighed "I also admit the lack of faith in my ability to handle this situation stings somewhat, but I'd be lying to say the risks of someone tagging along being tricked into violating immunity didn't concern me. I understand everyone wants to participate and sate their curiosity so it's not like I can stop you." Aredin set the lute down and picked Adorei back up in her scabbard to buckle at his hip. "However... If you intend to watch in secret, you will likely be recognized as apart from my entourage and therefore offered no protection. So again, I'd prefer to go alone, but if you insist in tagging along we have to be direct and mind our manners. This is a legitimate negotiation and he will have no choice but to respect that as a part of diplomatic immunity."

The Eclipse drew his Daiklave admiring the light reflected from her surface with a smirk before resheathing her. "And even if it were possible to bypass... I can hold my own in a scrap. Including against Exalts, dead or otherwise."

Grey Stone nodded. "I have interceded with spirits in the past, and I do know how to keep myself in check mentally." he said to the Eclipse. "Still, perhaps it is for the best that I stay out of this. The presence of two Solars might be more disagreeable to this shade than the presence of just one."

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Aredin gave the circle a short bow in thanks for their respect of his wishes and turned to head into the tower containing Dunbar's old living quarters. He gave a moment's consideration to Antonia's doubts but discarded the idea that the task was beyond him or the circle. After all, there were plenty of methods to deal with ghosts and this circle was far better equipped than most for the job. Now it'd be up to this assailant. Would he choose the easy way, or the hard way?

Amara doesn't look happy about it, but she finally nods. "I wish you luck, my friend. We shall wait here for your victorious return."

The wood spirit settles into a more comfortable position on the grassy earth and then proceeds to tell the story of Dunbar Kirk and how over the course of years shaped the geomancy of the glen to form the manse that is here now. It was a process that took decades, but when you live for thousands of years, that time is hardly noticed when you look at the long view.

She says, "I am glad that there are Exalted here once more. It has been lonely since that dark day when the betrayers came to kill my friend." Antonia looks off into the distance, remembering a time that has passed long ago. She blinks away the visions of the past that filled her mind and comes back to the here and now.

Rykon Rykon
With the decision made to go in alone, how do you proceed? Do you wait for a time before going in, or do you head there straight away?

With the decision made to go in alone, how do you proceed? Do you wait for a time before going in, or do you head there straight away?
Aredin wastes little time in this, so he'll be heading in right away with his spirit sight active [3m]. Spirits will not mistake what he is or diplomatic intent as the protection of immunity should be obvious to those bound to honor it.

When Aredin opens the door, he can see that this used to be a large, plush living room before a pitched battle and the ravages of time hit this place. What wasn't destroyed by the fight was looted by the surviving members of the Wyld Hunt, so the odds of finding anything of value here is slim to none.

While the conditions of the place is disappointing, the state of general housekeeping is not what brings Aredin here. You don't see any spirits in this particular room, but there is a stairway leading up to the next level across the room from you. Approaching that, you can smell the distinct odor of death coming from above, along with a definite chill to the air. It is likely that the spirit you seek is up there.

The second floor turns out to be a spacious bedroom, but what was once beautifully decorated is now a ruin. Artwork on the walls has faded away, and the soft furniture has disintegrated over the centuries until it is all a moldy pile of garbage. The skeletal remains of a human body that is missing its head is lying on the floor, no flesh remaining on the bones after all this time.

But even this discovery is not what brings you here. Standing over the body is the hunched figure of the ghost you are searching for. You can almost feel the anger of the living radiating from the figure, a hatred of anything alive that dares to come near it. The ghost turns to look at you as you come up the last few steps up to this level, and chill can be felt in the air. It howls in mindless rage as Aredin comes into the room, obviously trying to get you to feel fear before it attacks you.

The protection of the Solar diplomatic immunity is the only thing keeping you from being in a pitched battle with it, and you can feel the frustration from it as it screams at you. If you wish to speak to it, now is your chance.

EDIT forgot to tag Rykon Rykon in this. Here ya go!

The eclipse only had scant flashes of memory to prepare for this moment, but it wasn't far beyond his ability to imagine or anticipate. A hostile, angry spirit true to any description made by a passing shaman or funerist. 'Unburied corpse huh? This'll be easier than I thought.' He noted with a glance. 'All else fails, we have Gray Stone to settle things definitively.'

"Hello there, shade" He greeted simply wearing a slight stoic smirk etched into his face, an epitaph before his buried emotions. "It's about time the dead be laid to rest properly I see. Do you still remember your name?" Aredin asked as a probing question, trying to read from his posture whether that corpse belonged to Dunbar, the Shade, or another assassin taken down by their mark.

With a snarl, the response is, "My name? Why do you want my name? What does it matter to you? Using my name will not spare your life. But I will go ahead and tell you that I am Cadence Raff, and I will be your doom."

As Aredin is now heading into the one tower occupied by the nasty spirit, Amara looks at the other, asking Antonia, "What lies in there? What mysteries are there to be discovered after all this time?"

Antonia looks at the tower that Amara is talking about, saying, "That is where Dunbar would conduct his magical research and spell casting. It is specially protected to help keep any mishaps under control."

Antonia looks at the tower that Amara is talking about, saying, "That is where Dunbar would conduct his magical research and spell casting. It is specially protected to help keep any mishaps under control."
Da Chonk's eyes get a little larger when he hears this. With an amused chuckle, O Mighty Fat Cat slowly turns to Merciful Fire and Silent Glade to learn their reactions.

Chowlett Chowlett
Eonivar Eonivar

Da Chonk's eyes get a little larger when he hears this. With an amused chuckle, O Mighty Fat Cat slowly turns to Merciful Fire and Silent Glade to learn their reactions.
"You seem unusually excited all of a sudden." Grey Stone said from nearby. He was currently sitting down as he waited for the negotiations to conclude, and giving the Lunar a raised eyebrow.

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

"Doom? Get in line Cadence. You already know how this works and what I am from the fact that you can't doom a hair on my head until our business here is concluded." He snapped with a dismissive wave of his hand, confirming mere threats wouldn't help him here.

"Speaking of... I am Aredin Lentier. As I said, I'm here to ensure the dead are laid to rest and that the cycle of life return to it's proper course. Even if that means settling your unsettled business, Cadence Raff. With that settled, let's start with those remains... was that you or someone you knew?"

"Doom? Get in line Cadence. You already know how this works and what I am from the fact that you can't doom a hair on my head until our business here is concluded." He snapped with a dismissive wave of his hand, confirming mere threats wouldn't help him here.

"Speaking of... I am Aredin Lentier. As I said, I'm here to ensure the dead are laid to rest and that the cycle of life return to it's proper course. Even if that means settling your unsettled business, Cadence Raff. With that settled, let's start with those remains... was that you or someone you knew?"
The shade sneers at Aredin, saying, "What does it matter, after so many years? It may be true that I cannot harm you - yet. But it does not remove the fact that you and your ilk are abominations that need to be cleansed from Creation, and even my death did not remove that need to act from my shoulders."

"You seem unusually excited all of a sudden." Grey Stone said from nearby. He was currently sitting down as he waited for the negotiations to conclude, and giving the Lunar a raised eyebrow.
Da Chonk grins, his perfect white teeth gleaming in handsome contrast with his beautiful ebony skin.

He responds with friendliness in his voice and expression. "Wise One. How can a curious cat do anyting but grin in a moment like dis?" He pauses a moment and gazes at the ancient time-broken tower.

"Back at de camp, I run troo de Dragon-blooded and his group and never knew Silent Glade was near. Den... I come upon to see a beautiful woman riding a giant demon wasp and Merciful Fire and dis insect act as if dey are close friends.

"Dis... is magic to me!

"And now? Antonia, de fascinating wood elemental, who guards dis manse, tells of de tower where magical research is done by a Solar so long dead that de land itself seems to be the only one who remembas him.

O Mighty Fat Cat stretches his great limbs and gives a pleased-sounding sigh. "Now. I cannot help but wonda how de two most-magically inclined Solars among us regard a special tower like dis. What can dey be thinking? And what do I know of Solar magic? Nutting!

"As de only Son of Luna here, Grey Stone, I look inside myself for answers... and find only a void. I come face to face wit my own ignorance... and can only laugh along at my discovery!" He releases a hearty heartfelt laugh that makes his whole belly jiggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back