• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Aredin's temper caught the better of him once more blurting out with a snarl before he could stop himself. "Oh can the abomination talk. People only hate us cause it's politically convenient for some dumb red bitch to protect her fancy chair and you know it. There's no shortage of her brats to throw their lives away to try and take ours too, so what's really keeping you around when your faith reviles the lingering dead just the same as it reviles me?" He looked coldly at Cadence to punctuate his call to face reality as he pointed to the corpse. "Clearly you weren't so good at your job here that they can't go on without you. So again, what's got you stuck here seething where you friends aren't. You aren't about to sit here and tell me they just weren't committed are you?" His snarl suddenly changed to a taunting grin, hoping to goad the spirit into spilling the truth. Just what are your fetters... stubborn old goat...

Antonia looks at the tower that Amara is talking about, saying, "That is where Dunbar would conduct his magical research and spell casting. It is specially protected to help keep any mishaps under control."
Mercy was silent as the decision was made for Aredin to approach the spirit by themselves. It seemed very reasonable to her to try and talk out the situation first and then turn to violence if need be. And yet she suspected that if the spirit was hostile to solars, there was probably not much they could do to talk the spirit down. She hoped that Aredin would prove her suspicions wrong. She watched him go with some reservation but was confident in his talents from what she has seen that he would account for the situation well enough.

She listened with rapt attention to Dunbar's story. As to the tower with Dunbar's laboratory, Mercy nodded. "There are usual wards and protections one can cast to keep such work safe from hurting others, a normal approach for sorcerers."

Aredin's temper caught the better of him once more blurting out with a snarl before he could stop himself. "Oh can the abomination talk. People only hate us cause it's politically convenient for some dumb red bitch to protect her fancy chair and you know it. There's no shortage of her brats to throw their lives away to try and take ours too, so what's really keeping you around when your faith reviles the lingering dead just the same as it reviles me?" He looked coldly at Cadence to punctuate his call to face reality as he pointed to the corpse. "Clearly you weren't so good at your job here that they can't go on without you. So again, what's got you stuck here seething where you friends aren't. You aren't about to sit here and tell me they just weren't committed are you?" His snarl suddenly changed to a taunting grin, hoping to goad the spirit into spilling the truth. Just what are your fetters... stubborn old goat...
With a glare, the ghost says, "I was good enough to wade my way through the defenses of this Dunbar's manse and still be able to deliver a killing blow before his last spell killed me. The others were fodder, used to help get through the layers of the wards while I dealt with this Solar." He seems to be indicating that the body was that of the felled Dunbar, but you are not certain of that.

Aredin smirks. "So you're the one that speaks of people, human beings, as fodder for the purpose of committing a murder and not to mention a ghost... and I'm the abomination in the room... Right, got it..." The Eclipse leaned against the doorway making an appraising glance about the ruined quarters in a brief moment of silence to punctuate the sarcasm.

"Listen, I came here to give you the chance to settle whatever unfinished business that keeps you stuck here so you can reincarnate and go live out whatever enlightened Dragon fantasy life you always wanted. If all you want to do is talk a big game about killing a spellcaster, fine. Pretend I'm shaking in my boots all you want, but how many chances do you really have at breaking your bonds and righting things after paying the ultimate price for your cause? Not terribly many I'd wager." Aredin seemed to grow tired of the raw hostility of this spirit as he watched the expressions play on Cadence's face. Don't tell me... Is the spell that killed this zealot what is holding him here? That's rich. The prospect of such an ironic fate amused the merchant prince into one more jab before he could stop himself from speaking. "Please tell me you've not been staring at that rotten corpse because you never got to confess your clearly undying and unrequited love for the man."

[Full 5m Excellency on Read Intentions. 5 successes]

Eonivar Eonivar Rykon Rykon Chowlett Chowlett Purr Purr Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude

As Aredin speaks, the angry shade alternates between glaring at him and the withered corpse on the ground between you. "Love him? I hated him! I still do! Because of him I am now trapped in here, locked away for all eternity and prevented from being able to pass on to my final rest, even with my mortal remains long gone. I only regret that his death was so quick; if I could, I would bring him back to life and kill him over and over again! I curse him for all time! I cannot vent my anger on Dunbar anymore, so I will kill any other Solar that makes the mistake of coming here. Eventually you will lower your guard, and when you do, I will strike and vent my rage upon you."

Outside in the glen, the rest of you are listening to tales of the old Solar that built this manse from Antonia. Other small spirits come flitting about you, all anxious to learn more of Dunbar and to see the strangers that have come to their hidden place. Antonia describes the wild battle between Dunbar and the murderers that came that dark day, telling you how his forethought in his wards were nearly enough to stop the offending group of Dragon Blooded, but there was one Exalt that was able to wade through all the traps that Dunbar had placed, and he unleashed a series of horrible spells and Charms that ended up destroying the one tower that collapsed all those years ago.

She says, "If it were not for that one Exalt, Dunbar would have probably been able to live through the attack. That one died in the final fight between him and Dunbar, and he is the one that is the source of the spirit that haunts the tower that your friend is now trying to deal with. Despite his confidence, I am afraid for Aredin. If he is not very careful, it will be a very ugly thing."

The exalted merchant gave a short polite chuckle, "That's rather generous of you to assume I'd be fighting you fairly or even one on one. Pardon my jest then, but now that I know you're bound here by a spell that makes the transactional process a bit easier. You don't care for me as a Solar Exalt, and I don't care for you as a creature of darkness, much less a slayer of a kindred spirit. That said, I'd have a hard time justifying my actions to my benefactor, Sol Invictus, if I do not make an earnest effort to return you to Lethe properly. So, if I bring a sorcerer here to release your bonds so that you can reincarnate, then will you agree to leave this place and remain peaceful until you reincarnate? Otherwise, I can merely leave you here to threaten dust and scowl at corpses."

[I believe the technical term for the action is Bargain, but it's a social roll all the same. 5m Excellency for a Charisma+Presence roll. 7 successes.]

Last edited:
Cadence looks shocked at Aredin's comment, then his expression changes to suspicion. "What do you mean? Why would you do something like that? What are you really up to?" He stands there for a moment, with his arms crossed over his chest, glaring at Aredin. "Why would you free me from this curse? Especially after I have gone through all the effort to kill the Solars."

"Everyone and their mother hates Solars these days, Cadence." Aredin says bluntly. "The whole murder-rage-grudge rubbish is far and beyond old news. I believe what I said earlier too. People have been encouraged to hate us for reasons of convenience. Because they see us as a threat to what scrap of power they have." The eclipse spread his arms wide in a deep shrug. "Even if it sounds like ego or pride of me to say this, that mess is beneath me. I don't care to be the one to deal with it. There are plenty of better things for me to spend my time on than winning a war of social engineering with an absent ruler too self-important to prepare a replacement. Each and every passing day the Scarlet Empire proves itself an unworthy, incompetent tyrant with no heart for people and the Legion is too stoic and overwhelmed to rally in the Empire's place."

"Your deeds personally in pursuit of your justice aren't any worse than what I've done either, truth be told. I've killed people for a good cause, aye, but the brutality with which we went about it I've been told is rather excessive, even if the songs sung today serve as a very healthy deterrent for future crimes." Aredin took a flask from a coat pocket and downed a mouthful of its contents. "That was far before I was stricken with the Anathema title though." He extended an arm offering it to Cadence as he continued, letting the scent of bourbon whiskey waft through the stale air of Dunbar's temporary grave. "So... when I was asked by the caretaker of this place to get you to leave, I figured you and I could have a little chat. It was fairly curious after all, you being here alone where your... fodder, are not. Now I at least know why."

Cadence is quiet for a long time, thinking intently. He finally says, "If I were to finally be able to go, to move on, that would be the greatest gift to ever be given to me, and to think it would come to me at the hands of a Solar. Very well. If you can have a sorcerer break the spell that binds me here, I will leave you alone and move into the Cycle of Reincarnation once more. I give you my word on that."

Aredin gives a short bow with his caste mark burning bright upon his brow to seal the deal. "It's a deal then. I'll get with my associates and see if we can resolve this quickly then. If you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way to let them know your decision."

The eclipse makes his way back to the circle casually with a friendly wave to explain the situation with Cadence. "Apologies Antonia, but only step 1 is complete. Our haunting apparition, Cadence Raff is actually stuck there as a result of Dunbar's work. The killing spell, actually. I'm not sure how familiar you are with his repertoire of magicks, but either way Cadence has agreed to be cooperative. He will leave if we can release the spell binding him to this plane so that he can reincarnate." He then turns to Gray Stone ( jaydude jaydude ) "There's more than work for just Mercy as well. Dunbar's remains are still in that room and I'm sure our host would appreciate it if we could provide proper rites and a sendoff. So now that we all have the facts at hand, any questions or concerns before we proceed." Aredin pauses for a moment before breaking the silence again. "Ah, almost forgot... Another Eclipse caste thing. I bound his oath of the deal. So in addition to diplomatic immunity, there is a curse if he breaks his word and tries to retaliate. So there's twice the safety net. However, I will also suffer a curse if we break the agreement and attack him. So please don't swing first if it comes to that..." He added with a nervous chuckle.

Amara claps her hand against her leg, saying, "Well done, my friend! I have to admit, I was worried for you. Looks like you proved yourself to be the right man for the job, and I'm sorry I doubted you." She rises to her feet, brushing off the dirt from her behind, and continues with, "So, now our cards rest in the hands of our dear Mercy. Is this something that you can do? I know so little of sorcery to know the answer for myself."

Mercy pursed her lips and rose an eyebrow at the Eclipse Caste's explanation. Glancing at Amara and her encouraging words, and then over at the spirit, Antonia, who was complimenting her brother on his work.

"So you made a deal with a malevolent spirit, who sided with the dynasts and the Empress, who hunted and killed Solars, including the Solar that set up this manse, to release his spirit so he can reincarnate and...kill more solars but leave you or us alone?"

She stands up and crosses her arms across her chest looking into the fire, the fire seemed to intensify slightly upon her inspection, the flames reflecting on her still bronze-hardened skin. She did not like this deal. All she could see, all she could feel was her anger and the desire for vengeance on the Dynasts, the Empress, and their allies for what they did to her, for what they did to her past lives and her brothers and sisters, now and of the past. It was not just the anger of one life of slavery, of abuse, of hate...it was the anger of many past lives of the betrayal, of the atrocities seen, the deaths that occurred all at the hands of the Empress, the Dynasts, and their allies.

Her fists were balled. She was glad she wore gloves otherwise she would open the sores in her hands again.

She spoke to herself, though others could hear. "I had seen us, us of the past, in dreams. I saw when they came for me. They caught us divided, our circle was separated by distance when they came and killed us one by one. I have seen my past deaths. I feel deeply for what happened to Dunbar here." The fire intensified. "I sooo want to destroy this one, but...maybe in another life I will give Dunbar his vengeance."

She turned away from the fire going back down to its normal level, looking at everyone else. "I will not break my brother's vow. I will release the spirit as agreed. I will not like doing so...but I will." She took a deep breath focusing her thoughts again, pushing that emotion back down into the place in her heart.

"I will need to learn more about Dunbar's spell so I can set up the ritual properly."

He then turns to Gray Stone ( jaydude jaydude ) "There's more than work for just Mercy as well. Dunbar's remains are still in that room and I'm sure our host would appreciate it if we could provide proper rites and a sendoff. So now that we all have the facts at hand, any questions or concerns before we proceed."
"Of course. Just let me know the appropriate rites, and I will perform them as best as I am able." Grey Stone answered.

"Ah, almost forgot... Another Eclipse caste thing. I bound his oath of the deal. So in addition to diplomatic immunity, there is a curse if he breaks his word and tries to retaliate. So there's twice the safety net. However, I will also suffer a curse if we break the agreement and attack him. So please don't swing first if it comes to that..." He added with a nervous chuckle.
The old monk gave a little smile in reply to Aredin's nervousness. "Rest assured that I have no intention of starting a fight that would be inconvenient for us."

Mercy pursed her lips and rose an eyebrow at the Eclipse Caste's explanation. Glancing at Amara and her encouraging words, and then over at the spirit, Antonia, who was complimenting her brother on his work.

"So you made a deal with a malevolent spirit, who sided with the dynasts and the Empress, who hunted and killed Solars, including the Solar that set up this manse, to release his spirit so he can reincarnate and...kill more solars but leave you or us alone?"

She stands up and crosses her arms across her chest looking into the fire, the fire seemed to intensify slightly upon her inspection, the flames reflecting on her still bronze-hardened skin. She did not like this deal. All she could see, all she could feel was her anger and the desire for vengeance on the Dynasts, the Empress, and their allies for what they did to her, for what they did to her past lives and her brothers and sisters, now and of the past. It was not just the anger of one life of slavery, of abuse, of hate...it was the anger of many past lives of the betrayal, of the atrocities seen, the deaths that occurred all at the hands of the Empress, the Dynasts, and their allies.

Her fists were balled. She was glad she wore gloves otherwise she would open the sores in her hands again.

She spoke to herself, though others could hear. "I had seen us, us of the past, in dreams. I saw when they came for me. They caught us divided, our circle was separated by distance when they came and killed us one by one. I have seen my past deaths. I feel deeply for what happened to Dunbar here." The fire intensified. "I sooo want to destroy this one, but...maybe in another life I will give Dunbar his vengeance."

She turned away from the fire going back down to its normal level, looking at everyone else. "I will not break my brother's vow. I will release the spirit as agreed. I will not like doing so...but I will." She took a deep breath focusing her thoughts again, pushing that emotion back down into the place in her heart.

"I will need to learn more about Dunbar's spell so I can set up the ritual properly."
Grey Stone became wary when he heard Mercy voice her disapproval, and saw the fire flare up as if in response to her anger. He supposed he couldn't really blame her for it, if she was treating the memories and pasts of her previous incarnations as no different than her own. Relief set in as the Twilight agreed to put her desires aside, and he walked over to her.

"I can understand your desire for vengeance, young one." he assured her. "But taking vengeance won't change the past, only the future. And as for that, we don't know what form the next incarnation of Cadence will assume. It may well be that he is reborn as a future ally, or at least someone who'll atone for the choices of his past lives."

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

"I know it's a bit ironic given what I've done in the name of vengeance, but I'm with Grey Stone on this one. He's already dead and we're liable to never see his reincarnation anyway. Even if he wasn't, I can tell Cadence is ultimately just another zealot, a follower of someone else's ideals. If vengeance is what you're after, you'll do more good for yourself and others to spare your energy for the source of it. Or sources, depending on what we find." Aredin added keeping his encounters with the White Wraith cult in mind. "The alternative is tantamount to wiping out at least a quarter of humanity and at that point we'll be proving them right. So let's do what the incarnae's chosen should do and be the bigger people for the sake of this world entrusted to us. The one we fought and died for over and over again." He concluded with a warm smile to try and cheer up Mercy.

Silent Glade stands, and places a hand on Mercy's shoulder. "I understand. While bound here, this spirit can do no further harm; if we release him, his spirit will rejoin Creation and he may wreak further harm. If we fight him, we may suffer losses. There is a safety in leaving him alone; but that is not the way things should be. I know you know this. He must be allowed to return to the cycle.

"Come, I will join in this endeavour, as much as I can. Between us, I am sure we can loosen this spirit's bonds."

After a moment, as if struck by an afterthought, Glade adds: "In any case, by my understanding, Terrestrial Essence does not reincarnate in the same way as that granted by Sol Invictus or the lady Luna. Might this spirit not reincarnate mortal, entirely unable to act against our kin?"

Aredin gave the issue a few moments of philosophical pondering before answering assuredly. "No, I don't think so. Dragon-Blooded Exaltation awakens from blood. Celestial Exaltation from my observation enters a living soul as a gift and exits for a new host on death. Otherwise, we'd be born as Solars essentially. We also know that didn't happen because Solars started appearing in multiple individuals of various ages around the same time from what stories have been traveling along the roads. And on the other end... the mortal soul, I don't believe, would be caught up or consumed by the Exaltation. It'd be rather odd for the gods to design a power like this only for it to consume human souls and even if it did, one could then not leave a ghost but we know they can from historical records and the fact so many were given tombs after the Usurpation."

The eclipse gave a casual shrug, "All that to say, whatever Cadence reincarnates into will be a normal human same as any of us were as babes. Even were that not so, I don't think any of us could outright destroy his spirit if we were feeling particularly spiteful. So he'd just reform eventually, still bound to that room and thus we wouldn't be fulfilling Antonia's request for him to leave. So we don't have terribly many alternatives, do we? So I ask you, please have faith in the Sun's doctrine of the virtue of compassion. I know it's difficult, but we have to be above this if we want to move past this cycle of pointless war." He concluded with a smile and comforting pat on Glade and Mercy's shoulders.

Amara lets out a small chuckle. "Well, however it is that we can rid this place of the angry spirit, I am willing to give it a try. Otherwise, I don't know how else we can end the threat of this thing by force of arms against it. Being able to destroy an angry ghost is not in my arsenal of tricks that I know how to do."

jaydude jaydude Chowlett Chowlett Eonivar Eonivar Sherwood Sherwood Purr Purr Rykon Rykon

It is now mid-day, and the sun is high in the sky and warming you all from the chill of the night. It is actually turning out to be a very pleasant day.

Now that the pact has been sealed between the shade and Aredin, how do you proceed? Do you all wish to proceed into the tower and see the angry ghost, or do you leave it to Mercy and Silent Glade to go in on their own?

Amara is quite willing to wait outside and not get into a sparring match of words with the angry ghost, just so she can make sure that there is no chance of her getting goaded into losing her temper and starting something that will end badly for them. Even as much as it would be neat to see Mercy and Glade to work together on this magical thing, she knows that she'd most likely just be in the way if she went along.

Glade turns to Mercy before they enter the tower (with our without accompaniment).

"I have not done this kind of exorcism before. Minor spirits, restless lovers, I have laid a few to rest; never another Exalt. You will take the lead, yes?"

Mercy was silent listening to her brothers and sister provide assurance and comfort to her. She sorting through the conflicting emotions of Silent Glade's touch.

For a moment Mercy remembered Cynis Alena reaching out and touching her on the shoulder in the same way, the beautiful oval face gazing over her shoulder with her long blond hair that flowed down to her waist. The Dynast, her former master, reaching out and touching her just so on her shoulder, her long fingers often moved towards the back of her neck, her long nails scraping gently at that intimate vulnerable place...usually using her whiles to get Mercy to do something for her....sometimes leading to violence and abuse, sometimes leading to other activities...

Mercy shook her head...the fire flashed for a moment, burning the memory away at least temporarily. Silent Glade felt her tense slightly and then tried to will herself to relax. She was still getting used to her brothers and sister touching her, she wanted to be comfortable with such friendly and familiar contact, but it only has been a month even though her memories said otherwise. It would take time to wash away years of conditioning and gaslighting of being a slave. As Aredin came around and patted them on the shoulders Mercy awkwardly stepped forward stepping out of both of her brothers' grasp to adjust her clothing and to recompose herself and then reached to bring her backpack and the sheathed Skycutter to her shoulders.

She looked up at her circle, the Lunar, and the Spirit. "I will do my best to release the spirit. I have bound and released demons, elementals, and some smaller spirits before." Her emerald eyes moved to Silent Glade. "Yes, I would lead this ritual, and I am happy to have your assistance in this matter. I suspect that Dunbar's remains have a part in binding the spirit here so your ability to provide rites to Dunbar's body will be needed, and possibly to provide rites to the Spirit itself."

She seemed to look far away for a moment in thought as she went through the various teachings and learnings in her mind, before looking back up at the others.

"But First, I would like to go to the other tower first to see if we can gain any knowledge of the spell that Dunbar used to bind the spirit." She gazed down at Antonia. "Antonia, are there any wards on the Tower of Sorcery that I should be aware of to enter it? The more information I have on Dunbar's craft, the easier it will be for me to release this spirit so you and your kind will finally have peace here. Do know that while I am excited to learn of Dunbar's power, I do not plan to steal or desecrate his holding. I am sure Dunbar would be excited to share his knowledge with a peer and fellow Twilight Solar"

Mercy then looked at Aredin. "Aredin, for your promise, is there a time limit that we have to release the spirit by? Also, can you tell us everything you know about this spirit so far?"

Eonivar Eonivar jaydude jaydude Purr Purr Sherwood Sherwood Chowlett Chowlett Rykon Rykon

Antonia looks apologetic, saying, "The art of Sorcery is not one that I know, despite Dunbar's frequent attempts to educate me in its ways. There are many wards on the other tower, but so long as you have this hearthstone in your possession, you will be safe until such time as you can delve more fully into the details of the protections in place." She reaches out and passes you the stone. It feels warm in your hands, almost as if it were alive. "Carry it with my blessing, Noble Exalts."

With the stone in your hands, you can also see more clearly the lines of power that form the manse, along with the triggers on the wards around you. But even as wonderful as that is, it is not the true power of the hearthstone. It reveals to you whenever someone is telling a lie in your presence. It doesn't tell you what the truth is, but it does show you who is telling the lie and what statement is the untruth being spoken.

Which tower do you enter first? The one with the disgruntled spirit in it, or the other one?

Mercy takes the stone in both hands and bows gratefully to the spirit.

<Old Realm> "Thank you Antonia, I am honored"

She looks at her brothers, sister, and new feline-like friend and then to the spirit.

<Riverspeak> "I want to look over Dunbar's laboratory and library first before we deal with the spirit. With this stone, I see all the wards and the flow of energy around the manse and can guide us around the traps."

Mercy proceeds to head to the other tower (the one without the spirit) first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back