• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
With a nod, Antonia turns and says, "I will give you a few minutes to talk on this. I will return soon." She then walks off towards the trees that she came through on her way into the glen, leaving the Circle alone to discuss your reply.

Once Antonia is out of earshot, Amara rises and says, "Is there any reason why we shouldn't take her up on her offer of this hiding game of hers? I don't know what gifts that the rest of you have that might help here, but I can use my Essence to sharpen my ability to perceive things, possibly making it easier to spot the hidden hearthstone. We also have our friend Fat Cat that can slip into small places, giving him a handy edge on this hunt. It could be a very easy way to get past these wards and see if there are any other prizes to lay claim to that are still in the towers."

It could be a very easy way to get past these wards and see if there are any other prizes to lay claim to that are still in the towers."
O Mighty Fat Cat lowers his voice and speaks with some concern. "I was raised in de jongol. Dis forest is not so different. I would only take what Antonia offers. Dat is, unless she decides to become our enemy. If dat happens... all bets are off."

He continues on another train of thought. "I would like to try dis challenge; a stone of power from a Solar like Kirk must be some prize, yes? You notice Antonia has touched de hearthstone? Her scent is on it. Dis might be to our advantage. Does anybody not want to accept her offer?"

"First of all..." Aredin began as he rubbed his eyes about to tread a tired topic wearing away at his sanity. "Can we please stop advertising that we're Solars or implicating that we are by mentioning the Wyld Hunt? This is part of the reason we're still on the run. I know it doesn't matter in this instance because she's a spirit and thus can already tell what we are but still... You're volunteering valuable and technically incriminating information that can and will be used against the rest of us."

The Eclipse put his arm through a strap he fastened to the Lute and slung it across his back. "Secondly, this challenge seems as good a pass-time as any. I don't expect her to play fair, nor should we in turn. Before we begin though, Mercy, Glade, any read on whether those towers are rigged with traps and of what kind? Keep in mind, as long as we mind our manners she cannot harm us unless we attempt to harm her. This golden bull's eye on my forehead carries the kind of authority all spirits are obligated to honor after all."

Fat Cat looks up to Aredin with a touch of surprise - apparently the Circle had made a habit of telling people of their plight. This was something the Lunar was unaware of.

You're volunteering valuable and technically incriminating information that can and will be used against the rest of us."
"Aredin, I see your point and it is a fair one. I will guard in de future. But I am de newest among you. If de Circle has other rules, please tell dem to me. " Fat Cat crosses his arms and taps his fingers along his forearm. "Antonia. She is a forest spirit. By allowing us to stay, she is risking her life and home against de Wyld Hunt, yes? Does she not deserve to know?" Fat Cat considers aloud.

Last edited:
Grey Stone, having previously been silent following Antonia's arrival, spoke up while running his fingers through his beard. "My chief concern is that if we take this gamble and lose, the access and use of this place will be denied to us entirely. All for the sake of a Hearthstone we know nothing about yet."

He stood up and turned towards Antonia's retreating form, before switching to speaking in Old Realm. "Antonia. My compatriots might have appeared eager to claim the Hearthstone of this place. But what if we agree to leave it be? Could we not be permitted to stay here indefinitely in that scenario?"

"It's true that the Wyld Hunt is after us, but this is the case for every Celestial Exalted, regardless of whether or not their present locations are known to the Hunt. We likely shook our hunters not long ago, thanks to Fat Cat here, and it will take a lot of time for them to follow our trail to this place, if they even rediscover it at all. Of course, if they were to track us here, we would depart immediately. Besides our own safety, this place deserves better than defilement at the hands of the Shogunate Successors."

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

The wood elemental stops and turns back to look at Grey Stone. She stands silently and still, trying to read your expression before speaking. Finally, she says, "You would be willing to leave this hearthstone here, to better respect the sanctity of this place, and help guard it from those that would try to steal it? Is that what you are saying?" Antonia is soft spoken, but there is a force to her question that you can all feel.

Amara looks over to Grey Stone, trying to figure out what his overall play is going to be. She says nothing for the moment, not wanting to ruin what he's trying to do, but she is listening intently to what is said.

"Perhaps. I am not yet sure what plans my compatriots have. It may well be that we all choose to stay here, or move on." admitted the Zenith. "I have no knowledge of what this Hearthstone does, and thus have little reason to want to claim it as my own. Right now, I only wish to make sure that all of our options are clear. If we choose not to take your gamble for the Hearthstone, what liberties will you grant us whilst we remain in this place?"

Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

A slight smile crosses the face of the woman, and she says, "You are the first person to come here in centuries that was willing to even at least entertain the option of leaving the hearthstone here and not stealing everything you can get your hands on. What is your name, noble Exalt? I would like to know that."

The monk hadn't planned to get himself an in of sorts with the spirit, but he wasn't going to complain.

"I am known as Grey Stone. And before I was blessed by the Unconquered Sun, I spent most of my mortal life as a humble monk, a sohei of Lookshy. I am not quite as committed to my vows as I used to be, but a lifetime of monkhood, and several decades of life itself, have taught me to not overrate the value of material goods."

Admitting that he'd been a sohei was a bit of a gamble on his part, given the connection to the Immaculate Faith. But sohei didn't always use violence to deal with problematic spirits, so hopefully the admission would count as an act of goodwill.

He chose not to inquire about the Hearthstone's properties. Not after Antonia had praised him for having less interest in it than most.

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Fat Cat finds himself nodding to this wisdom. Grey Stone has created a third option that the Full Moon finds to his liking.

"Speaking as de only child of Luna here - I wish rest and sleep for all creatures here, spirit to Solar. If allowed to hunt, I wish only de creatures you recommend.

"I would love for us to explore dis place but only with your blessing, Antonia." Da Chonk folds his hands together and bows to her in respect.

"If dere are teachings or gifts you would pass on to us, I would like very much to be worthy of dem. But, I say again, I would like to find a way to repay you for the hospitality you have already shown. Is dere some way we can clean or rebuild help make dis place more than it is?" Fat Cat points at the remains of the third tower. " I am no architect, but I can lift and I am strong."

Fat Cat's huge smile appears to Antonia. "As a child raised deep in de jongol, I would like to leave dis place betta dan we found it. You undastand?"

With a raised eyebrow, Antonia says, "I can tell that you, Grey Stone, and you, O Mighty Fat Cat, both speak the truth. If you are willing to stand with these other Exalts and be responsible for their actions, I will grant you the right to stay here for as long as you wish. You may enter the towers, but any treasures you find inside them belong to Dunbar, and without his permission you may not take them from here. Master Lunar, you speak of trying to repay me for the hospitality of this place. If you truly wish to do so, I will ask of you only one thing. There is a shade that lives in the second tower that haunts this place. If you were to rid this place of that restless ghost, I will be grateful to you all. I will not make a requirement of this, though. This ghost is old and powerful, and would easily be the winner in most conflicts against those trying to destroy it."

Amara lets out a quiet breath that she didn't even realize that she was holding in. It would seem that the good will of Stone and Fat Cat has won us a chance to make a new friend. I wonder how tough this shade must be for this spirit to ask us to deal with it? She looks at Antonia and says, "I cannot speak for the others, but I do promise that I will not cross your rules, noble spirit. Thank you."

Grey Stone bowed and clasped his hands. "You have our thanks, Antonia."

He only hoped that the rest of the Solars would be as understanding as Amara.

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Aredin stood and looked toward the second tower, "Finally. An answer to the question of what favor was suitable. If the Shade is the issue, I'd like to try speaking with it. Perhaps we can learn more about this place while we're at it. Unless there are any objections, I'd like to go ahead and settle this one." His face turned back to their host with a smile. "Antonia, would you happen to know the name of this spirit?"

Aredin stood and looked toward the second tower, "Finally. An answer to the question of what favor was suitable. If the Shade is the issue, I'd like to try speaking with it. Perhaps we can learn more about this place while we're at it. Unless there are any objections, I'd like to go ahead and settle this one." His face turned back to their host with a smile. "Antonia, would you happen to know the name of this spirit?"
Grey Stone gave Aredin an approving look and nod, as if to say that he was onboard with at least looking into the matter of the shade.

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Fat Cat scratches his chin, thinking aloud. "Ghosts come from people, no? Mebbe dis ghost perhaps an old enemy of Kirk Dunbar?

Nodding to Aredin's question, Fat Cat asks Antonia. "What has dis ghost done to trouble your manse? What can you tell us about dis ghost, please?"

Silent Glade had stood silently during the exchanges with Antonia, but now he added his voice in support of those of his allies.

"My friends speak nobly, and truthfully. I brought them here, as I knew of this manse from tales of old. I also am a child of the forests, although my home is many miles to the east; and I left it because I knew my presence there threatened it. We would not be here if we thought we endangered this place by so being. Keep the hearthstone, and we shall certainly see whether anything is to be done about your ghostly interloper."

More gently he adds:

"You must know, though, that Dunbar Kirk is surely dead by now? Even we Solars remain mortal, age and die, albeit not for thousands of years; but this place is old beyond reckoning. With good fortune, his spark lives on and will be drawn here again, but it will be a different person than the Kirk you knew"

Mercy had sat, watched and listened to this whole conversation and exchange. She was caught in awe of the spirit, and she was grateful for her friends good words with it. She would openly admit that she did not necessarily have a way with words as the others and was happy to sit and listen as it seemed her friends interest were her own.

Several times she opened her mouth to say something and then closed it when one of her friends spoke, satisfied with their words and decisions while nodding in agreement with Grey Stone's words to leave the Hearthstone in place, suspecting that the Hearthstone helped the Spirits live here in peace. Thus the price of removing it, while would give them probably considerable power, would disrupt the lives of the spirits that resided here. She could not help but think that maybe helping this spirit would give them other benefits in the future.

Mercy had a lot of questions for Antonia, more of what it was like to be a spirit and to learn more about how Dunbar Kirk was like, but she was happy to wait and find out more once her friends had all the answers they sought.

Mercy spoke up, she felt like her voice was tiny compared to that of her friends and allies. She spoke in the tongue of the Old Realm, the language of the Spirits.

<"Antonia, I would be honored to help my friends and allies here to remove the Shade from this sacred place, if anything to make life here even more peaceful for you and your kind here. I would also like to learn more of you and of Dunbar Kirk, as I too am a sorcerer and scholar like he was. I suspect Dunbar Kirk and I were of the same Solar Caste."> Mercy blushed..<"Forgive me Antonia, I am called Merciful Fire of Emancipation. While I have communicated and bartered some with demons and a few minor elementals, I have never met a spirit such as yourself, although I have read and studied of your kind. Do know that I would not dream of wanting to remove the stone of this place unless evil should possess it and even then I would return it once the evil is banished and destroyed.>

Fat Cat scratches his chin, thinking aloud. "Ghosts come from people, no? Mebbe dis ghost perhaps an old enemy of Kirk Dunbar?

Nodding to Aredin's question, Fat Cat asks Antonia. "What has dis ghost done to trouble your manse? What can you tell us about dis ghost, please?"
The wood spirit looks to Fat Cat and says, "The ghost is the angry shade of one of the Exalts that . . . killed my friend all those years ago. He wasn't a Dynast, but was instead some other kind of Exalt. The details of that elude me for some reason. It is old and it hates the Solar Exalted, and it has killed another Solar that had found her way here, many years ago."
Silent Glade had stood silently during the exchanges with Antonia, but now he added his voice in support of those of his allies.

"My friends speak nobly, and truthfully. I brought them here, as I knew of this manse from tales of old. I also am a child of the forests, although my home is many miles to the east; and I left it because I knew my presence there threatened it. We would not be here if we thought we endangered this place by so being. Keep the hearthstone, and we shall certainly see whether anything is to be done about your ghostly interloper."

More gently he adds:

"You must know, though, that Dunbar Kirk is surely dead by now? Even we Solars remain mortal, age and die, albeit not for thousands of years; but this place is old beyond reckoning. With good fortune, his spark lives on and will be drawn here again, but it will be a different person than the Kirk you knew"
Looking over at Silent Glade, Antonia says, "It is one thing to see a friend grow old and die as Gaia intended in his or her own natural pace, and another entirely to see that friend get cut down like a rabid dog. Even after all this time, it leaves a harsh taste in my mouth."
<"Antonia, I would be honored to help my friends and allies here to remove the Shade from this sacred place, if anything to make life here even more peaceful for you and your kind here. I would also like to learn more of you and of Dunbar Kirk, as I too am a sorcerer and scholar like he was. I suspect Dunbar Kirk and I were of the same Solar Caste."> Mercy blushed..<"Forgive me Antonia, I am called Merciful Fire of Emancipation. While I have communicated and bartered some with demons and a few minor elementals, I have never met a spirit such as yourself, although I have read and studied of your kind. Do know that I would not dream of wanting to remove the stone of this place unless evil should possess it and even then I would return it once the evil is banished and destroyed.>
With a pleased look on her face, the wood elemental nods. "I can see some of Dunbar in you, Merciful Fire. Perhaps you and your friends will be successful in removing the ancient ghost and finally cleanse this manse of the hate of this Wyld Hunt that killed dear Dunbar. If that is the case, it would be a welcome change to have some friends here once again."

More gently he adds:

The wood spirit looks to Fat Cat and says, "The ghost is the angry shade of one of the Exalts that . . . killed my friend all those years ago. He wasn't a Dynast, but was instead some other kind of Exalt. The details of that elude me for some reason. It is old and it hates the Solar Exalted, and it has killed another Solar that had found her way here, many years ago."
"Dere is our answer."

Fat Cat frowns and his eyes lower in respect of the fallen Solar. The ghost had killed not only the wood elemental's friend and mighty Solar, Dunbar Kirk, but another Solar after this. But has it faced 5 Solars and a Lunar all filled with the Resolve to extinguish its threat from this world?

Mercy spoke up, she felt like her voice was tiny compared to that of her friends and allies. She spoke in the tongue of the Old Realm, the language of the Spirits.
Fat Cat remains quiet and listened to the language he did not know hoping to recognize it. He doesn't.

Aredin stood and looked toward the second tower, "Finally. An answer to the question of what favor was suitable. If the Shade is the issue, I'd like to try speaking with it. Perhaps we can learn more about this place while we're at it. Unless there are any objections, I'd like to go ahead and settle this one."
Rykon Rykon "Aredin." As always, Da Chonk's accent and heavy voice almost make it sound like another word. "If de ghost hates de Solars," Fat Cat turns to everyone, "perhaps I should speak with it? We could learn very quickly if it also hates Lunars?" Fat Cat grinned. "I would like to know de ghost's reasons for doing what it has done. On de surface, it seems clear we should be enemies. But under de surface, perhaps another truth lies hidden?" Fat Cat briefly touches his brow in a sign of guidance from Luna and looks from person to person to wood elemental.

"Or perhaps de long-dead ghost might take advantage of how new an Exalted I am and prove talking to it is not so good an idea, Lunar or no. What you tink, my Circle?"

"Aredin." As always, Da Chonk's accent and heavy voice almost make it sound like another word. "If de ghost hates de Solars," Fat Cat turns to everyone, "perhaps I should speak with it? We could learn very quickly if it also hates Lunars?" Fat Cat grinned. "I would like to know de ghost's reasons for doing what it has done. On de surface, it seems clear we should be enemies. But under de surface, perhaps another truth lies hidden?" Fat Cat briefly touches his brow in a sign of guidance from Luna and looks from person to person to wood elemental.

"Or perhaps de long-dead ghost might take advantage of how new an Exalted I am and prove talking to it is not so good an idea? What you tink, my Circle?"
"I will say that having the Lunar of our Circle approach this shade first makes sense, if it holds a degree of animosity towards Solars," Grey Stone said, before a look of concern crossed his features. "Of course, if the shade does become hostile to you, we'd either have to be positioned close enough to risk being discovered in order to come to your aid quickly, or you'd have to escape that tower and get to us."

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Last edited:
The eclipse shook his head. "No, this is one of the duties I've been charged with by the Most High himself. It is my role, and that of my caste, to intercede between parties as a diplomat. If I were to shrink from the challenge of soothing old hates and grudges then this Exaltation would be wasted on me. I am not only up to this task but speaking to him presents no danger to me or to any of you."

The eclipse shook his head. "No, this is one of the duties I've been charged with by the Most High himself. It is my role, and that of my caste, to intercede between parties as a diplomat. If I were to shrink from the challenge of soothing old hates and grudges then this Exaltation would be wasted on me. I am not only up to this task but speaking to him presents no danger to me or to any of you."
Grey Stone gave a shrug of his shoulders. "Oh yes, I forgot that your Caste gets divinely ordained diplomatic immunity." he admitted to Aredin.

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back