• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [ Interest Check ] I CAN PUNCH IT! Our Spirit-Slaying Startup

Blu

ᴏɴʟʏ ᴄᴏʟᴏʀꜱ ʟᴇꜰᴛ ᴀʟɪᴠᴇ.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I-CAN-PUNCH-IT-Logo.png

ICPI-Premise.png
When college dropout Ryota Shikinami gets into an automobile crash during a drunken binge, both of his arms are completely destroyed in the accident. He wakes up in a seemingly abandoned hospital and, to his surprise, he's been transplanted with two entirely new arms—although admittedly they look a bit odd. Not long after, he is approached by two strangers in suits asking him to come with them.

Out of nowhere, the three are attacked by an entity called a 'Yōkai'—a malicious spirit. In truth, Ryo could always see yōkai ever since he was a kid but, no matter how much he tried, he could never touch them. His hands would always phase through and they, in turn, would completely ignore him. But now he is being attacked by one. On the verge of imminent death, he shouts "Screw it!" and throws a blind punch. Splat! An explosion of blood and viscera covers the room and Ryo.

The two suits had the intuition to hide behind cover to avoid the mess. Finally, one of them smiles and says, "You passed. Welcome to our spirit-slaying startup company." Huh?

So begins the story of a group of coworkers out to save the world, one yōkai at a time… for a nominal fee of course!

ICPI-Setting.png
In Japan's distant past, yōkai roam the land in search of human hosts to devour their souls and take possession of their physical bodies in order to evolve to new heights and gain unspeakable power. To combat this threat, exorcists known as Onmyōji—practiced in the sacred rituals of Onmyōdō—battled tirelessly against these evil spirits using a variety of weapons and magic at their disposal. In the event of a possession, often times the human victim would be saved but countless lives were lost throughout. Regardless of their occasional failures, the onmyōji swiftly became revered as mystics and heroes that kept Japan safe from otherworldly dangers.

Fast forward to modern times and, well, the concept of yōkai and onmyōji are seen simply as myths and folklore, fit for cautionary tales but nothing to pay heed too. But every so often, mysterious disappearances and unexplainable deaths occur. Yōkai still reside among us to this very day. While the general public is ignorant of this issue, Japan's government does have a secret division that is involved in all matters paranormal. The ASC—Agency of Supernatural Containment—recruits present-day onmyōji to deal with the persisting yōkai threat. Only nowadays, onmyōji, having abandoned their esoteric ways and rituals, are simply referred to as Spirit-Slayers. No fuss, no fanfare. It's a job first more than anything.

Spirit-slayers are paid for their talents, and that idea blossomed into independent companies run by slayers who contract themselves out to the highest bidder. While government-sponsored work is steady, they tend to have poor compensation. Sometimes you'll get lucky and score lucrative private cases and really rake in the money. So as it stands, this is the current state of the world: yōkai cause trouble and spirit-slayers get hired to eliminate them for a fee. But dark forces rarely sit idle for too long. The eternal struggle between the yōkai and those who slay them may soon come to a head...

ICPI-Extra.png
Welcome to this Anime-style RP revolving around a small startup company that slays yōkai as a service. Players will take on the role of a spirit-slayer in said company and, together, we'll take on nasty otherworldly baddies while going through the pitfalls of owning a small business run by a tightly-knit group of eccentric troublemakers.

《 1 》 Spirit-slayers uses special weapons and/or magic to fight against their foes. Since this is anime-styled, you have a lot of freedom in what your powers may look like. If you're unsure of a character concept once the CS is up, feel free to DM me. Alternatively, you can study up on the ideas of Onmyōdō and draw inspiration from that.

《 2 》 Yōkai are the main threat of this world and they come in many varieties. The Official Yōkai Guide by the ASC (a book every slayer should have and studied) grades their threat level on a scale of 1 to 100. The higher the number, the bigger the threat. Yōkai-possessed humans are the result of a person falling under the thrall of a yōkai. While they're possessed, the yōkai slowly devours the human's soul. When the soul is completely gone, saving the possessed individual underneath becomes impossible. They are considerably more dangerous than normal yōkai with enhanced powers and the ability to freely change their physiology based on their controlling yōkai. Certain unique yōkai and possessed humans can go beyond the soft 100 threat limit. They are considered the strongest of their kind and, at this point, the guide may or may not have information regarding them.

《 3 》 Spiritual resonance is a concept that will be widely-used throughout the roleplay. It's basically the strength of one's soul and it determines the ability to see and interact with all things relating to the supernatural. There is also active and passive states of spiritual resonance. If your spiritual resonance is active, then you are capable of slaying spirits and fully interacting with the supernatural. So while someone may have a strong resonance, if it's passive, then at the most they can see yōkai but interaction is extremely limited. Yōkai will seek out humans with strong resonances but they don't care about activity or passivity.

《 4 》 This will be a mostly plot-driven roleplay. I'm always open to story ideas so everyone's welcome to contribute. I'll be looking to accept 3 other players as part of our protagonist group. If there are extra interested players, you can optionally join as side characters that can freely go about doing whatever in the world and will occasionally show up in the main plot. Note that these side roles are more open to a variety of character concepts: you can play a good guy, bad guy, spirit-slayer, yōkai, yōkai-possessed human, etc.

《 5 》 There is a specific role that I'm looking to fill: our startup's President/CEO. I'm looking for a female character to fill that part but, other than that detail, there are no other requirements for the role.

《 6 》 The other two established employees of the startup have been with the company for at least a couple of years so pre-existing relationships should be established between all three characters (including the president).

《 7 》 The main setting of this RP is Tokyo, specifically the Hatagaya suburbs. The team operates out of an old ramen shop and the name of the company can be decided among the three players in the company group.

《 8 》 Our starting post in the IC will be a collaborative effort, retelling the events mentioned in the Premise in detail so I'll be providing a discord later on to facilitate that as well as just being an extra OOC.

「 Questions, comments, or concerns? Please let me know below or via DM. Thank you! 」

Last edited:
Closed already? Or is there space for more beyond the roles?

Are you interested in a main cast role?

I would be interested in taking up the role, though if one of the other two want it I wouldn't want to rob them of the opportunity.

Thank you, at least I know I'll have that role secured but yes let's wait for responses from the other two.

Aighto. Is it on a first made first accepted basis, or are you just selecting which ones you like for main cast? And for side cast, how does that work in terms of the plot itself? Do you still GM for side characters, or are they more independent in that regard?

Aighto. Is it on a first made first accepted basis, or are you just selecting which ones you like for main cast? And for side cast, how does that work in terms of the plot itself? Do you still GM for side characters, or are they more independent in that regard?

If we have an excess for the main roles, I'll accept based on quality. I'd understand if anyone wants to back out based on that alone, but I'm adamant about a small main cast.

Side cast is basically the free roam, make your own stories part. I'll be hands off mostly until I need those characters to be part of the main plot.

Obviously side characters don't need to adhere to weekly posting requirements. It's like a drop in, drop out role, no strings attached sort of deal. These roles would only be fun if you have others to interact with so I wouldn't go for this honestly unless there's other side cast members.

Well Defined Comedy Defined Comedy you have the president role all to yourself as of now.

I'm working on the ooc, lore, and character sheets as we speak but they won't go up until at least tomorrow (I have work later on). See ya then!

Alright gang, OOC, Lore, and Sheets are up: Fantasy - The Ramen Shop Headquarters《 I CAN PUNCH IT! Out-of-Character 》

I might be interested in a side cast for this, looks really fun

Unless we have more side cast, applying for that role right now may not be the best cuz your ability to interact with other players would be limited. On the other hand, side cast can drop in and drop out for a post at any time and you're not under the weekly posting rule so it may work for you if you like that no obligations style. In any case, thanks for the interest!

Is possible to still apply here?

You can apply yes, but just an fyi, if you're applying for a main role, I'll be accepting only 2 ppl based on the quality of their sheet. And right now we have 3~4 other players applying for those spots.

So I'd understand if you don't want to compete for a spot. Ty for the interest regardless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back