• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

SilverFlight

Tende altum, volare altius
colorful-green-glade-surrounded-trees-spring-landscape-timber-flowers-grass-yellow-moss-rocks-hillside-40959345.jpg

In a small forest glade, on the edge of a vast field, separated by a little stream, there is a very unique nation: It is a nation of bugs! Each group with its own customs and cultures: The honey bees, with their elegant monarchies and well-trained military, the beetles with their hardworking communities, farms and mines, the jumping spiders, with their crafts and trade caravans…but most special of all, is each group has been gifted with magic. Some groups have strengths in one over another magic, some have little magic at all, and some their magic burns so strong and so bright that it eats up their lives and turns them to ash in only months. The groups have coveted their magic, and developed it with their own unique ways of life, but now something is coming and each clan will have to work together as one to stop it.

769d16d3b3a96135ed65a00a68e55990.jpg
Image (c) Simon Sweetman

Players can help develop the lore for their particular species or group of bugs (Honey bees and one species of jumping spider have been reserved, but there are many other species of social bee and more spiders, and you can make up your own honey bee colony with its own culture too). This will run sort of like Redwall, and or Hollow Knight, with the bugs generally looking like bugs, but standing and talking like people (as much as they can). I know finding charatcer refs will be hard so anything from a real bug photo to a sort of anthro thing will be fine.

The time period for this will be something like pre-renaissance, an era of art and scholars and battle with spear and sword. Poetry and plays are common and generally most groups are peaceable with each other. Smaller bugs like aphids and small flies will be more like livestock, allowing predatory bugs like spiders to live in peace with herbivores. Not all bugs have human intelligence and some can be the size of monsters.

Generally, the playable species and characters will be scaled to roughly the same size so a stag beetle would be larger than a bee, but only by a head and shoulders. There will of course also be larger (hungrier) bugs that could be the enemies.

The aging will be human-based, with your characters living years even though most bugs do not irl. The magic will be mostly elemental based (fire water earth etc.) but I will definitely be open to some insects having other types of magic with the exception of mind control, that never works in a group rp setting.
51e104d51c35ae6018f086d0f7dd5c6a.jpg
Image (c) GaudiBuendia

I generally do fairly long, plot-driven rps and I definitely have a story plan for this one too. It will mostly center around what the players write for their own character's and species lore. The post rate will be about once a week and the length will be 1-2 paragraphs on average, though I realize this concept is an uncommon one, I'll be flexible to accomodate a wider range of players.
I’d be happy to help anyone who wants to join but needs some info on different bugs, you can ask questions here in the interest check.
Hazmat44 Hazmat44

Link to the Thread

Last edited:
Omg, I love this idea! Is there a specific range that the bugs are supposed to be native to, for instance Florida, or can we have a bug from anywhere?
Also, do you have any requirements for post length?

Omg, I love this idea! Is there a specific range that the bugs are supposed to be native to, for instance Florida, or can we have a bug from anywhere?
Also, do you have any requirements for post length?
I'd say bugs from anywhere, to keep it interesting, and the posts shall probably be an average of one or two paragraphs long, I'm not a fan of one-liners.

I'd say bugs from anywhere, to keep it interesting, and the posts shall probably be an average of one or two paragraphs long, I'm not a fan of one-liners.
I'm hoping pistol shrimp/mantis shrimp aren't classified as insects for the RP. Those things are overpowered IRL.

I'm hoping pistol shrimp/mantis shrimp aren't classified as insects for the RP. Those things are overpowered IRL.
Though technically they would count, they can't breathe out of water, which would make them not great candidates for the rp.

Though technically they would count, they can't breathe out of water, which would make them not great candidates for the rp.
Oh thank goodness. A punch from a mantis shrimp generates temperatures of upwards of 8500 degrees Fahrenheit (3000 Celsius) so they really wouldn't need magic.

This sounds almost inspired by Webbed and when I say I screamed....

I don't think I've ever rped an insect before, let alone an insect with magic. Gonna put down my interest flag here.

Spiders and praying mantis looking mighty fun to play!

Awesome on the bug diversity, but I'm not sure I can meet your standards for length as consistently as you many want. Is the occasional one-liner excused?

This sounds almost inspired by Webbed and when I say I screamed....

I don't think I've ever rped an insect before, let alone an insect with magic. Gonna put down my interest flag here.

Spiders and praying mantis looking mighty fun to play!
Now I have to look up Webbed. Thanks for the info!

Awesome on the bug diversity, but I'm not sure I can meet your standards for length as consistently as you many want. Is the occasional one-liner excused?
Only in conversations and fights. It's always much more fun when each post has some substance for people to react to.

Oh my goodness, yes! I'd love this!!

EDIT: I am obsessed with loads of different insects/arachnid etc, so this is right up my street. I have never actually imagined I would be role-playing as one though!

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, yes! I'd love this!!

EDIT: I am obsessed with loads of different insects/arachnid etc, so this is right up my street. I have never actually imagined I would be role-playing as one though!
Well that's fantastic, because you landed with probably the only bug nerds on this site XD welcome aboard.

SilverFlight SilverFlight No way, that's crazy!!
I honestly hope you follow through with this idea because I will be now be spending my free time obsessing over a potential character idea for this!! XD

Silver's really good at keeping their posts running; a veteran DM for sure.
Oh that's amazing then! I have an idea that I am going to share without asking... An OBT (orange baboon tarantula, more commonly known as an orange bite-y thing) who is actually the most kindest, peacekeeping arachnid around. It sounds better in my head than on paper* XD.

I've looked after an OBT, and my goodness they are so angry! The only tarantula that wants to hurt you on purpose!!

*on screen

Oh that's amazing then! I have an idea that I am going to share without asking... An OBT (orange baboon tarantula, more commonly known as an orange bite-y thing) who is actually the most kindest, peacekeeping arachnid around. It sounds better in my head than on paper* XD.

I've looked after an OBT, and my goodness they are so angry! The only tarantula that wants to hurt you on purpose!!

*on screen
Ginger spider. Lol, that's fine, I'm scaling the size of the characters so no matter what species they won't be much bigger than the others, so yours would be like, football player size in comparison with a character like mine, who is a honey bee.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Haha, yes.

Yeah, that's perfect, I am glad you are doing that, I sort of got the gist of it when I read your opening. I am having a think of what I could suggest for those in the tarantula clans (am I getting the right idea?) magic. As 'old world' tarantula venom is rather potent, then maybe could incorporate some sort of potion making? I had a really fleeting idea just a min ago, but I've literally just forgotten, RIP.

How sweet, honey bees are amazing. I'd love to know more when you're ready!!

Also, shall I begin with creating them now or wait until you've created a character sheet etc. Sorry if I am too much, first role-play in a while and I get excited over the smallest of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back