• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Incarnate OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Gnomar Gnomar Can incarnates communicate through telepathy with their human? I noticed Echo had them communicate in thought. At least I assume, given the italics. I was wondering if that is something they should be able to do? Or is it limited to some?

I never gave it thought before, but it'd be fun to have Wumsy feed Dayquan information about the other newbies. Though I also like the dynamic of people hearing Wumsy give Dayquan orders. Like a reverse role where the incarnate is in charge. Though, even if they could communicate telepathically, I could always make Wumsy prefer audible speech.

Screw it, why not. Might have to say there are limits on it, like they can't do it miles and miles away but within a reasonable distance of one another sure.

And yeah you can just have them talk it out normally if you prefer that, no reason why not.

Put up my first post, hopefully it's good enough.
This is draining >-<
You did great Echo, no need to fret : )

I too had a little chuckle when the doll was yeeted at the floor.

I know it probably isn't good practice, but I realized I messed a couple things up when transferring what I wrote over, and a couple important words I didn't think were right I really wanted to correct, so I made those couple changes on my main post. I'll try to avoid it in the future.

I know it probably isn't good practice, but I realized I messed a couple things up when transferring what I wrote over, and a couple important words I didn't think were right I really wanted to correct, so I made those couple changes on my main post. I'll try to avoid it in the future.
What'd you change? I certainly didn't note anything out of the ordinary.

What'd you change? I certainly didn't note anything out of the ordinary.
It wasn't anything major, it just urked me because it changed the connotations or things of a couple sentences. Like it should have been "I wonder if he was born after I died." rather than "I wonder if he was alive when I died.", since the latter would be more reasonable if Marie thought the ICE agent looked older, not younger. Or the italics for a few words during her internal rant not transferring over which just made the wording seem a bit awkward. Also a change to one of the sentences after she yeets the plushie, because the flow of the sentence had been bugging me this whole time but I couldn't figure out how I wanted to change it until now.

Again, all really minor things honestly, and I probably should have just left them. But it bothers me to no end when I see problems in my writing and it makes me really want to go and fix things for my peace of mind >-< I can try to avoid doing it in the future though.

It wasn't anything major, it just urked me because it changed the connotations or things of a couple sentences. Like it should have been "I wonder if he was born after I died." rather than "I wonder if he was alive when I died.", since the latter would be more reasonable if Marie thought the ICE agent looked older, not younger. Or the italics for a few words during her internal rant not transferring over which just made the wording seem a bit awkward. Also a change to one of the sentences after she yeets the plushie, because the flow of the sentence had been bugging me this whole time but I couldn't figure out how I wanted to change it until now.

Again, all really minor things honestly, and I probably should have just left them. But it bothers me to no end when I see problems in my writing and it makes me really want to go and fix things for my peace of mind >-< I can try to avoid doing it in the future though.
Ah, I understand. You and I are a lot alike. Unfortunately, I don't have lots of time like I used to, so, I try not to think too hard. I picture a scene, write it out, and let it be. I don't even try to proofread it, because I know I could easily spend hours on a single post.

Time is the one resource I wish I had more of.

Though, as I said before, please don't burn yourself out. I'm quite enjoying things so far. Though I do wonder if we've had any dropouts so far. Not that I'm impatient or anything, but few other players have been chatty recently.

Honestly should it be the case I'd run this for just the three of us! Not that I'm assuming others have already dropped out, not everybody is as into OOC as we are, and not everybody is available to post on the same days.

Hope you're all having a good one though!

Honestly should it be the case I'd run this for just the three of us! Not that I'm assuming others have already dropped out, not everybody is as into OOC as we are, and not everybody is available to post on the same days.

Hope you're all having a good one though!
I'm glad to hear that you'd keep it going. <3

Not that I'm impatient. It seems like I have tons of time, but I really don't. I can just take a moment to write a two minute post in OOC a bunch.

So, you wouldn't try to add others later on in the story?

I certainly could, but I think I'd give existing characters a little time to breath before adding the fresh batch.

I certainly could, but I think I'd give existing characters a little time to breath before adding the fresh batch.
That's interesting. Could build up our characters, then use us as teachers for the next generation of newbies.

Hmm. Wumsy never really put much thought into teaching. They're more focused on learning. They'd be a brutal teacher. No one would ever be good enough for them. XD

That's interesting. Could build up our characters, then use us as teachers for the next generation of newbies.

Hmm. Wumsy never really put much thought into teaching. They're more focused on learning. They'd be a brutal teacher. No one would ever be good enough for them. XD
Teleporting behind students to point out every single grammatical error in their answers. Even worse, Teleporting Dayquan (? Actually unsure of the spelling atm) alongside himself to share the error with him 😆

Teleporting behind students to point out every single grammatical error in their answers. Even worse, Teleporting Dayquan (? Actually unsure of the spelling atm) alongside himself to share the error with him 😆
Dayquan is correct. And, no. Wumsy isn't one for theatrics. More like asking questions that can't be answered. Like posing a scenario and asking them to calculate the trajectory of hundreds of projectiles midair to determine the safest spot to stand. Then getting frustrated at everyone's stupidity.

Wumsy would make a terrible teacher.

Though, if they kept at it long enough, they would question their own intelligence. I mean, how smart can Wumsy be if they can't help teach others? From that set of philosophical thinking, they would work on improving themselves until they got better. But Wumsy would be god awful at first. XD

Koodoo asking only trick questions and then gaslighting the students when they get everything wrong. Except the test is perfectly normal and everybody freaks out because the keep expecting that they're doing something wrong. Except for one question that is actually a trick question, just to keep them on their toes ^^;

While Marie tries and fails to reign things in, apologizing constantly while bickering with Koodoo xD

I should have my response up by tonight. Emery's giving me a bit of a hard time with his train of thought; he'll be bumping into Wumsy, I think.

I should have my response up by tonight. Emery's giving me a bit of a hard time with his train of thought; he'll be bumping into Wumsy, I think.
If you want to script a conversation, we can go back and forth in PMs, so you can include a back and forth with Wumsy without cluttering the IC.

I can write in short descriptions, as opposed to paragraphs, and mostly use their words, so you can copy/paste as you see fit.

This goes for anyone else, too. I find this is am effective way to hold conversations between a few members of a group RP without cluttering space, or sacrificing in-depth interactions.

Just a suggestion.

If you want to script a conversation, we can go back and forth in PMs, so you can include a back and forth with Wumsy without cluttering the IC.

I can write in short descriptions, as opposed to paragraphs, and mostly use their words, so you can copy/paste as you see fit.

This goes for anyone else, too. I find this is am effective way to hold conversations between a few members of a group RP without cluttering space, or sacrificing in-depth interactions.

Just a suggestion.
I'll send you a PM when I get there — it might be another few hours; I'm just checking on the OOC right now during break.

It's done! Ha... posting speed is not one my strengths.
It looks great! I still clearly have a lot to learn from the rest of you to improve my own writing ^^

I'll be happy to work with you on dialogue with Marie whenever you have the time.

It's done! Ha... posting speed is not one my strengths.
Gnome didn't mention any posting speeds, so I can't speak for them or anyone else, but I am unbothered.

Emery hadn't signed up for this. Not for navigating these clinically dull, winding halls with two guards to his back; not for transferring over to this new base an ocean away; he certainly had not planned on being conscripted into some sort of bizarre, monster-fighting army — but as one well-armoured official had so eloquently put it when Emery had argued soon after his revival, what were they to do? Emery had died, come back to life, and now he had an emotionally unstable demon that manifested in place of his proper soul. What could they do? Until he learned to control whatever dangerous impulses he might have, Emery couldn't leave. In the meantime, he might as well learn to fight after-death projections by channelling his nonexistent rage at them… or something like that.

Despite his two handlers wearing the bulkiest set of clothes he'd ever seen, they followed him silently. No thumping of thick boots, no jangle of a keychain — it set Emery on edge, the unnatural quiet. He was used to unending noise whether it be laughter or yelling through his flat's thin walls, the rowdy traffic or even the pigeons that would strut across — well, he supposed it was no longer his little balcony.

The young man replaced whatever bleak expression he might have had with an easygoing smile. No sense in acting all dreary when it would help nothing—

But again, Emery lamented: all he could hear was the shuffling of his own shoes on the pristine floor, his controlled, steady breathing.

Something clanked in the distance — Emery did not jump.

And the clanking got louder, echoing through the apparently not abandoned corridors.

His smile slipped with an amused, bewildered sentiment, and Emery let out a quiet huff of a laugh. He spun on his heels to face his guards, about to crack a silly joke about noise and expectations and the bizarreness of I.C.E., but his voice fell away upon spotting A and B's grim expressions. They had their guns out, pointed — not at Emery, and he released a shaky breath in relief at that — but at something past him, which was silly, because there was nothing that way but for clear walls and the occasional door.

"What? What is it?" Emery asked, searching A and B's expressions for any clue. Like the coward he was, he couldn't quite bring himself to turn his head around and see for himself. What if they fired? No, Emery didn't want to see that.

"Quiet," said Guard B.

And the clanking got impossibly louder. Impossibly louder. As in, coming from right behind him louder.

And then came a noise: "Hello," went the noise. "I am Wumsy," it resounded, and: "What are your names?"

With one last anxious look at his guards, Emery slowly turned. It was like looking at a bunch of scrap metal strung together, of a sort. Emery struggled to describe it, but at the very least, it was unnatural — even more so than the clinical appearance and artificial silence of the place. And its voice! Like the shrilling of metal, but not, and the clicking of coins as they splashed into the fountain, but not — wrapped messily in an air of uncanny wrongness.

Allowing his manners to take control in such an unusual situation, Emery indulged himself a grin and replied, "Well, look at you! Someone's Champion, I presume? A friend of someone I'll be meeting today?" Somewhere along the line, Emery had assumed that incarnates couldn't speak. "The name's Emery, dear," he added. He was hiding his discomfort quite well, if he said so himself.

The scrappy beast repeated this name, then, seemingly losing interest with such a puny, boring human, clacked away. Emery watched it go; as soon as it turned the corner, he whirled on A and B, an almighty glower directed right at them.

"What," Emery challenged, "was that?"

Guard A had the decency to look apologetic for a second before smoothing over their expression. "Champions are not permitted to wander freely," they explained.

"That was clearly someone's Champion and I see no human nearby," Emery remarked. "And you!" He jabbed a finger at Guard B. "Why did no one tell me souls could speak?"

"Did you ever ask?" Guard B replied, gun still held loose in her left hand.

"Of course not!" Emery looked between his two handlers helplessly, fighting the embarrassment that was now creeping up on him. He was saved by Guard A insisting they move along now; it wouldn't do well for them to show up late.

They moved along.

€∆¥

His guards left him in front of a painfully auspicious door and there was nothing else for Emery to do but enter. He was met by great trees and pretty dappled sunlight — if only it were real.

Of course, he wasn't the only one in the room. Emery tore his gaze away from the sights and put on his best smile, then made his way through the trees — or he would have, had he not heard something of a snuffle from behind him.

He turned, gaze landing on a young woman who seemed… not quite as well as one would hope to be. Strange. Was she part of the simulation? Curious, Emery approached. "Are you... alright, ma'am?"
Haha! I loved that interaction. The fact that Emery didn't even know they could speak. Too bad they didn't have a lengthier interaction. I can't wait for Emery to see Wumsy's intelligence on display. Even more so when it starts waxing philosophical.

I'll be happy to work with you on dialogue with Marie whenever you have the time.
Feel free to PM me whenever!
Haha! I loved that interaction. The fact that Emery didn't even know they could speak. Too bad they didn't have a lengthier interaction. I can't wait for Emery to see Wumsy's intelligence on display. Even more so when it starts waxing philosophical.
Emery will have his mind blown, ha. His own incarnate hasn't moved on from its passive-aggressive ignore everyone stage — to see other newbies with souls that are not only chill, but highly intelligent? He won't know what to make of it.

Feel free to PM me whenever!

Emery will have his mind blown, ha. His own incarnate hasn't moved on from its passive-aggressive ignore everyone stage — to see other newbies with souls that are not only chill, but highly intelligent? He won't know what to make of it.
Haha! Especially given many incarnate aren't even capable of speech, let alone displaying wit and deep thought beyond any human.

Of course, this will be limited by my own flaws, but I hope I can at least portray it well enough for the suspension of disbelief to take effect.

While I'm thinking about it Gnomar Gnomar , how much can we assume our character's know about incarnates, champions, ICE activities, and the sort? I know they've been briefed on some things but of course they wouldn't know as much as we do.

Additionally, how much contact with the outside world have our characters had since their reincarnation? I presume they haven't been allowed to wander much with uncontrollable monsters attached to their souls. Also, who was alerted about their rebirth (if anyone at all)? Are there public records of I.C.E. employees? Considering the extent of technology in this world, once someone goes out into the field, they'd have to have been caught on camera or something.

Additionally, how much contact with the outside world have our characters had since their reincarnation? I presume they haven't been allowed to wander much with uncontrollable monsters attached to their souls. Also, who was alerted about their rebirth (if anyone at all)? Are there public records of I.C.E. employees? Considering the extent of technology in this world, once someone goes out into the field, they'd have to have been caught on camera or something.
Uh, Wumsy does what it wants. XD Wumsy doesn't really care about rules. They're morally a good being, but if a rule or law inhibits their curiosity, they would consider ignoring it. So, depending on how much time has passed, I'd wager Wumsy has already explored some of the outside world already. As much as time allows. Both since reincarnation, and limited by how far they can travel before needing to rest in Dayquan.

Uh, Wumsy does what it wants. XD Wumsy doesn't really care about rules. They're morally a good being, but if a rule or law inhibits their curiosity, they would consider ignoring it. So, depending on how much time has passed, I'd wager Wumsy has already explored some of the outside world already. As much as time allows. Both since reincarnation, and limited by how far they can travel before needing to rest in Dayquan.
Ha, excluding Wumsy. Wumsy is an odd exception to most rules when it comes to dealing with incarnates, I'd presume. I had those with more dangerous souls in mind — our recruits were walking around with guards in an I.C.E. base; if such extreme precautions were needed, I'm not sure if they'd have much freedom elsewhere. Of course, Wumsy wouldn't care about that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back