• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

Thorgran's Territory - Leakhena's Family Farm - Boss Fight - TURN 5
Senya = 7. Does 3 + 1 (4, Dragon Knight) to Irin. Irin is now on fire! Suffers 3 DMG! Irin HP = 64.
Henderson attempts to bite Irin (Feast.) D6 used. Chance Roll = 5. Chance Successful. Regenerates 3 HP. Does 3 DMG to Irin. Irin HP = 61, Henderson HP = 12.
Seriphine = 2. Misses Irin.
Wesley = 10 (True Shot V2.) CH Roll = 7. Does 5 DMG to Irin. Irin HP = 56.
Takato = 8. Does 3 + 1 (4, Butoo Style) to Irin. Irin HP = 52. Irin is stunned by Takato's burst of power (Like Water.) Cannot attack for 1 turn.
Leakhena = 9. Does 3 DMG to Irin. Irin HP = 49.
Gwen = 6 + 4 (10, Falcon's Eyes, Spiteful Survivalist.) CH Roll = 8. Does 6 DMG to Irin. Irin HP = 43.
Inari = 6. Does 3 DMG to Irin. Irin HP = 40.
Kassidy attempts to heal Leakhena (Reverse Succubus.) D10 used. Chance Roll = 6. Chance Successful. Leakhena regains 6 HP! Leakhena HP = 15.

Vincent = 7 + 3 (10, The Huntsman.) CH Roll = 9. Does 6 + 6 DMG (12, Killer Instinct) to Irin. Irin HP = 28.

Thorgran's Territory - Leakhena's Family Farm - Boss Fight - TURN 5 (ENEMY)
Irin is stunned and cannot attack this turn!

---
As Irin chased after Leakhena, the group chased after Irin. Determined more than ever to put the fallen angel down. Senya's flaming sword sliced across Irin's side, lighting the fallen angel on fire before she was knocked away by Senya's shield bash. Right into Henderson's grip. Henderson grabbed on tight and bit down onto her shoulder, ripping out a chunk of flesh before she could break free of the mutant's grip. As she broke free, Seriphine jumped off Henderson's shoulders to stab her from above, but missed as Irin quickly moved. Wesley was a bit faster, able to close the distance and drive his sword into the angel's side. Irin screamed out in pain, before planting her boot in Wesley's chest and sending him flying several yards.

Irin refocused her attention on Leakhena, flicking her bladed whip around before slinging it at the demon. But her action was interrupted, forcing the bladed whip to simply hit the dirt before her. Takato had moved in, delivering several blows and releasing his aura in a sharp burst. The act stunned Irin for a moment, her senses forced into a daze as she shook her head rapidly. It gave Leakhena and Gwen an opening, as both fired off shots at the angel before Inari moved in once more and delivered a devastating slash to Irin's leg. It buckled a bit, but Irin forced herself to remain standing. Kassidy quickly took the chance to heal Leakhena, rushing up next to her and working her succubus magic. As the pink mist enveloped Leakhena, she felt far better than she had before. She was back to full strength, and ready to finish off this angel of torment.

What Leakhena saw when she looked back to Irin is Vincent, surprisingly, rushing in towards her. And in a shocking display, using his rifle like a baseball bat. He hopped, planted his feet as he landed next to Irin, then swung with as much force as he could muster. The flat side of his rifle's stock collided with Irin's face, knocking several teeth from the angel's mouth and sending her sailing into the air to land in the mud a few feet away.

Last edited:
Senya immediately took a few steps back, holstering her sword and shield. She casted fire within her two hands, flames swirling until it grew into a large fireball. She focused on Irin and unleashed her palms outward, the fireball set to hit the angel.

Henderson grinned as the angel was now in the mud. High and mighty bitch was brought down low, but there was still time for some humiliation. Others can do what they want, but the mutant wanted to get one last hit in.

"I see why angel flesh is sought after by gluttony demons." He joked "That bite was devine." He laughed as he brought down his foot on top of her spine.

Irin shouted in pain as Vincent's rifle smacked some of her teeth out and the impact forced her down onto the mud. Yet her mind was sent further as the realization dawns on her that she might not leave this farm alive. Though if she was going to die here, she'd want to at least die avenging Karlel. With both her sword and her whip in her hands, she sliced and cracked as she charges screaming towards Leakhena.

Meanwhile Leakhena kept trying to fire her rifle, only to be responded with rapid-fire clicking. It's empty. She's out of bullets, but she's too caught up in her frenzy to use one of her other weapons. So she charges at Irin, her mouth wide open and that disturbing prehensile smaller mouth drooling and flicking spittle everywhere. For all the sickening things Irin did to her, for daring to kill her in her own home, Leakhena's going to kill Irin the same way she killed Karlel.

Takato watched as, after he stunned Irin with a display of heaven in hell, the others piled on and didn't let up, Vincent batting her to next Sunday. However, soon enough, as everyone made their advances, Irin and Leakhena began to charge at one another.

Seeing that there is only one way things can end, he charged as much as he could into his hands one last time, his own final display - the damned angel, if this were to succeed, would be held in place by the hermitic powers of the blessed oni. And so, she would be forced one last time to take the brunt of his colleagues.

The force of the Fallen Angel’s kick sent the Ninja slamming at a nearby tree, creating a human-sized imprint on the side of tree where Wesley’s momentum was stopped. Gravity took over and he kneels on one knee to assess the damage to himself. The slam would have killed him if it were not for his vampiric endurance It seems that his plan of catching the fallen angel off guard with his strike worked. His other companions have dealt a huge blow against Irin, And now Loque and Irin have started to charge at each other, charging fast to rip each others head off.

He saw Takato work his magic and thus, Wesley made a desperate throw of one of his tagged kunais at Irin, but instead of throwing at Irin to cause physical damage, he threw it inches away from Irin’s face, enough to graze her at best. The tagged kunai has a blinding light effect to it in order to distravt the Fallen Angel as Loque drives her precieved “killing Blow” against the Fallen Angel.

Thorgran's Territory - Leakhena's Family Farm - Boss Fight - TURN 6
Senya = 2. Missed Irin.
Henderson = 4. Missed Irin.
Leakhena = 10. CH Roll = 2. Does 4 DMG to Irin. Irin HP = 24. Chance for Execution. Execution Rolls = 9, 3. Chance Successful.
Irin is dead.

---
As Irin moved quickly, she managed to avoid Senya's fireball as well as Henderson's foot. Sadly, their attacks would strip her of her weapons. Allowing Leakhena to easily lunge in and get the kill.

Whatever combination of fear and rage that overtook Leakhena has greatly reduced her to something now resembling a frenetic beast as she slams right into Irin and tackles her down to the mud. Pinning her down with all her strength, Leakhena headbutts Irin repeatedly with every impact getting bits of Irin's skin stuck in her teeth. She grabs a now semi-unconscious Irin by her shoulders and shakes her, slamming her head into the mud repeatedly. Drool and spit covers Irin's face as her prehensile mouth burrows itself through one of Irin's eyes. Nauseating sounds of something being swallowed are heard the deeper it goes as Irin's body twitches for the last time. Leakhena retracts her mouth, but still remains holding Irin's corpse. She's not quite done killing Irin yet. She brings Irin's bloodied head closer to hers.

"Y-you bitch... YOU BITCH!!"

Her bloody hands dig right into Irin's chest piece; crumpling it into a hunk of metal as she tears it off and throws it aside. She screams one more time before she takes a huge bite out of Irin's body. She takes another, and another, and another. Biting, tearing, and ripping apart Irin with teeth, nail, and fury until there's nothing left but blood, bones, and metal. As she ceases her cannibalistic brutality, her senses suddenly switch back on and leaves her in a shocked silence.

Suddenly remembering where she is and what she was just doing, she freezes, only to start weeping uncontrollably after. She falls over to Irin's side as she starts breaking down completely. Stuck on all fours, she tries looking up at Vincent and the others, giving them a good look at her blood and tear stained face as she struggles to keep herself off the muddy ground.

"Th-they promised me!... They p-promised me... a way out!" she wails. "O-one night!... That... that's a-all they wanted!...B-but they didn't let me go! They wouldn't let me leave, Vincent! Th-they w-would do it, again, and again, and again, AND AGAIN!!! Oh my g-god..." Whatever wasn't fully digested by this point explodes out of Leakhena's mouth before she finally breaks apart and collapses into tears. Everything hurts. All that's happened is too much for her to take.

As the fighting stopped, the group now found themselves gazing down at a distraught Leakhena. Vincent didn't know what to say to help beyond assuring her that it was okay. That it was over now, as Irin was dead. She didn't have to worry about them anymore.

Kassidy, surprisingly did it for him. She walked over, sitting next to Leakhena on the ground, and hugging her close. "...Both o' 'em are dead, now. Ain't no need to be scared anymore. Everything will be alright. I promise." she said softly. "...They were both scum. True scum. And now they're dead. You avenged...so many folks, Loque."

"...They were both scum. True scum. And now they're dead. You avenged...so many folks, Loque."
Though Leakhena doesn't respond verbally, seemingly not hearing Kassidy's words, she does however reply to the hug with an even tighter one. Tight enough that Kassidy might feel her blood stop flowing. She still weeps both audibly and messily, but it slowly subsides the longer she supports herself on Kassidy. It takes a while for her to stop completely, and she takes her time getting back up on her feet again.

Looking back at the others once more, she wipes the tears, the blood, and vomit off her face before speaking.

"I... I need to lie down..."

She wearily saunters over to a wall and starts leaning on it.

Vincent follows, as the rest of the group recouperates from the battle. Kassidy stood and simply glanced back down at Irin, before spitting on what remained of Irin's body. "Serves you fuckin' right, ya vapid whore." she muttered, before turning about and moving over to check on Henderson. He went down after all, and she intended to check and see if his wounds had healed up.

Vincent moved over near Leakhena, slinging his rifle onto his back as he quietly spoke. "...Leakhena, we can't stay here...We have to keep moving. Otherwise Thorgran's grunts may find us...and you know what will happen if we're caught." he said, glancing back to the others. "...You can rest in the back of the wagon on the way...Take a few moments to look around if you want to get anything, but we should move soon." He said as best he could. He knew how Leakhena was probably feeling right now, but they couldn't just wait there to be discovered by guards. And once Leakhena has gathered what she wanted, they were off. Walking back through the fields to where the wagon still sat. Surprisingly, the human that was in it was now gone. Likely having woken up and ran off. Vincent hoped they'd be alright. Otherwise it would be right back into the kitchen for them.

The group loaded up once again, with Leakhena resting in the back as they rode along. And a long ride it would be. They had ground to cover. Hours passed, which turned into days as they rode from the capital of Thorgran's territory to the border with Greed. The change in scenery was certainly interesting, as the dead and rotting fields turned into a dusty, barren landscape. Dry, with abandoned structures dotting the environment here and there. There were old caverns and caves, embedded in the sides of hills or mesas. Mine carts lay bare, tools lay broken and discarded. It was as if the land had been stripmined for its contents. There were no trees, only broken dead stumps from where they had been chopped down. In the distance, however, they could see what appeared to be a massive lavish mansion, surrounded by a large iron fence. Perhaps one of the higher level demons in Keggoth's repertoire.

They also found the train terminal, sitting quietly. Ditching the wagon, they moved quickly to the terminal. At last, they'd have a little time to relax before getting back into things...and finding Valeria. Vincent used the discs to summon the train, which arrived as promptly as it always did. And when the conductor called out for their destination, "THE LAND OF DEAD KINGS!" was the response.

---
Later...
Train Terminal Camp
The Land of Dead Kings

Hudson's group had the pleasure of making camp in this alien land, just off to the side of the train platform as their friends aboard the large train has instructed them too. Apparently Xager had mentioned to them that the other group, Vincent's, were finishing up their task in the land of Gluttony and were now soon to arrive in the Land of Dead Kings. Thus, the group would return to being a unified force once more.

Cassandra glanced to Mariette, as she sat back against a small boulder on the dusty white ground. "I do wonder how this...Vincent will take my presence here. As you recall, I'm not particularly liked by the Church or its servants." she said with a hint of a chuckle at the end. "...I wonder moreso about how dearest Valeria will take seeing me..." It would certainly be an interesting interaction...especially after the events of three years ago.

A whistle sounded off in the distance, forcing the small group to look up from where they were, sitting around a small campfire that Jakob had made from some old sticks and timber they had managed to find (that didn't attack them.) The train was rolling towards them, slowing down as it came to the terminal. And soon enough, the ramp deployed and Vincent's group emerged from the train car.

Last edited:
Mariette was preoccupied with her dirty nails; they bothered her now that the rest of her was clean, and she wondered whether she would bother to seek the time and tools to tend to them. Cassandra raised a concern about how the others they would soon unite with would feel about her presence, and Mariette gave a bit of a bitter smirk. "What vampire is in the good graces of the church?" she asked. "And Valeria- after all she's been through, I don't see her raising any objections to being rescued by a former foe. ...Mais, she and the others may raise a fuss when you seek to leave. In that case," Mariette mused as she flicked her wrist around, as if she were fencing, "I'll hold them off while you make a run for it. As fast as you are, I should only seek to bother them for, une minute, non?"

She grinned. Mariette was only joking, and Cassandra knew it. But there was still a sadness underlying it which they had discussed before and did not have time to discuss again right now. Cassandra wanted Mariette to follow her out of Hell, but Mariette was still committed to staying behind. The whistle of the coming train prevented any awkwardness to ensue as both vampires to stand and dust themselves off. As the others appeared, Mariette waited politely for Vincent to speak first.

Senya sighed after a fight with the fallen angel and did not interrupt Leakhena’s rage. If anything she just wanted to move on and move on to bigger things. As they entered the train, the Warden took the time to recuperate and take a well deserved shower. Time went by eventually, and she still craved for more battles and enemies to fight. The Land of Dead Kings seemed like a perfect opportunity to kill off more shadows.

Her relaxation came to an end, and it was about time to depart and enter the zone. She repaired and polished her black armor, sheathing her sword into the scabbard and loaded up two shotgun shells into the barrel. She walked down the ramp and saw Hudson, Detective Jakob and Riberta, along with new members to their party. She didn’t mind them, as they welcomed other people during their mission as well.

Senya nodded and spoke up, “New members I presume? In any case, welcome to the mission. We could use all the help we can get.”

Hudson turned his head to the whistle of the train as it sped by their camp, the hunter remaining seated by the fire while his sheathed sword was braced against his shoulder. When Vincent's group began to emerge he didn't say much of anything, simply giving a silent nod before turning his attention back to the flames before him. He scoffed at Cassandra's open questions, slightly adjusting his seating position by raising a knee for his arm to lazily bend against. "I figure you have a lot of explaining to do. Though Vincent's rather atypical for a Church type if you ask me. At this point I'm willing to believe he'd accept the assistance of those fucked blood worms a ways back if he could use the extra tendrils." the man wagered with a jaded chuckle.

Despite his harsh words Hudson didn't comment on Mariette's talk of either of them leaving. If it was one thing he felt strongly about it was the fact that the dead should stay that way, but once again he exercised restraint. Best to keep such opinions to himself from now on if they want to have any chance of doing what they have to at this point. As the rest of the group approached the hunter just raised his hand lazily, keeping his wrist on his knee for the most halfhearted greeting some may have seen.

"Welcome. Sit by the fire. Glad you're not dead."

Senya took Hudson’s comment as a case of not in a good mood, but it was better alive than dead. She nodded again, turning to the others behind her. “Likewise. We traveled to the Land of Gluttony and poisoned the Icon, Thorgan. Whether or not he’s dead or alive. It was worth a shot. There’s a few of our shadows remaining. Mine is somewhere still out there, but we’re destroying them one by one. Did you all manage to find anything important during your travel?“ She asked in a straight forward tone.

While the noises of Leakhena's anguish being taken out on the angel turned Gwen's stomach, she made it a point to not look at it. She'd rather not have lost the contents of her stomach. Instead, she simply made her preparations to get back to the wagon, and expedite them leaving this mouldering land for good. On the train, it was especially needed that she cleaned herself off, considering the mire they had waded through in Thorgran's castle. The train ride gave her time to ponder her lot, a good, hard think about her and her kingdom.

She had a bit of spring in her step as she came off of the ramp, rifle slung across her shoulder, under the presumption that the station at the very least would be safe from the things that prowl in the night. The idiot, the lich, and the beasts. As well as a couple of new arrivals. How quaint. "Hudson, Venextos! It's been so long! Who, if I may be so polite as to ask, are these, ah, new friends you've brought along?"

"Yeah. We killed one of Sazak's kids and found out where Valeria was being kept. Killed a few shadows, that sort of thing." he replied to Senya, tilting his head toward Gwenaelle as she asked who had been accompanying him. "New to some but rather old to others." Hudson said rather cryptically, though shrugged his shoulders as he did so to show that not even he had confidence in that answer. "They're capable of introducing themselves I think. The common traits are that they're all vampires involved with the Grimtham inquiry. And are also dead." With that he went back to staring at the fire, trying to relax.

Witnessing Leakhena's rage, grief and desperation manifest itself in such a raw manner- not to mention the primal ferocity of it.
Out of all the times Leakhena had lashed out this one time had served as a reminder for Seriphine in two ways;
Never cross a demon with nothing left to lose and don't underestimate the determination of someone desperate.

Beyond that she felt an urge to help her friend, though for now Kassidy's words would have to suffice but as the group made their way back towards the wagon Seriphine made sure to support Leakhena both physically and spiritually. Should the latter wish to speak then she'd listen and if not, well, then she'd simply be there.

While onboard the train Seriphine utilized the time to clean her clothes and gear. Her weapons also received some much-needed love in the form of careful maintenance.
Afterwards another thought appeared, forcing Seriphine into action.

Seeking out Vincent she had finally confessed her feelings for him, confusing as they might be.
"I know not what the future holds," she had said to him.

"Be it my final days before my eternal rest or the beginnings of a second life I now know that I do not want to spend this time by myself. I do not know if I can promise you what you want, what you need or what you seek."
"What I can do however is promise myself." As her words fell silent Seriphine had hesitated before giving Vincent a brief but passionate kiss. Afterwards she had scrambled to excuse herself and leave his quarters, keeping to herself up until the train's arrival at the Land of Dead Kings.

Seriphine gave Vincent a brief smile before lowering her gaze as the party descended down the ramp. Seeing the other familiar faces was somewhat comforting and while she looked forward to speaking with some of them Seriphine's real attention was focused on Vincent and Leakhena.

Mariette couldn't help but roll her eyes at Hudson's bluntness, but kept a smile on her face. "My name is Mariette Desrosiers, and this is Cassandra Bainbridge. I was an Escarian countess, vintner, and an honorary Inquisitor in the service of Mademoiselle Valeria Witlock. I was a less than faithful ally... Sazak was poisoning my mind with evil promises, and so I took my own life for the protection of my friends. Cass, on the other hand, was entirely deprived of her sanity, another pawn in the wicked plot which unfolded on that island. And, au contraire to what Monsieur Hudson just described, she is not dead. She was merely thrown into this realm by Velin."

Senya heard Mariette's explanation and how they joined up with the others, she was also one of the members of the Witlock Inquiry back when Detective Jakob mentioned they all had bad history with Sazak. How she took her own life, perhaps the Warden didn't want to engage further for now. But Cassandra Bainbridge was a pure blood according to Jakob. At least the pieces were starting to come together. Senya placed a hand on the bottom part of helmet, thinking.

"Detective Jakob told me about the Witlock Inquiry in Grimtham and how you all wish to hunt down Sazak. We're here for similar reasons, rescuing Valeria Witlock and finding the stolen artifacts. And to kill Sazak, if possible. Our latest bet on finding Valeria is in Vucrox, the necropolis. If not, we're shit out of luck as my cousin Haegel would say."

"Cassandra Bainbridge? The Cassandra Bainbridge?" said Vincent, staring at the notorious vampire among the group. Cassandra gave him a toothy grin, before bowing theatrically. "The one and only!" she replied. Vincent's eyes darted between her, Hudson, and Mariette. Cassandra Bainbridge, a fallen hunter consumed by bloodlust and insanity. He already knew that Velin had cast the vampire into the Abyss, as a report had been filed on the incident at Grimtham shortly after its conclusion. Now, here she stood. Remarkably sane, and not trying to rip his spine out. The Abyss seemed to have done wonders for her.

He looked to Mariette, before nodding. "And how did you two come to meet Hudson and the others?" he asked. Cassandra answered, as she straightened up from her bow. "The lovely Countess encountered them after a battle in the land of Pride. She had escaped our former master's service, and went in search of dear Jakob as well as the rest of you. I was sent to be punished by Azgon after her departure. I escaped...eviscerating everything in my path...till I returned to Sazak's palace where I found this adorable little group as well as sweet Mariette here." she explained, motioning around with her off hand while her right hand gently clasped Mariette's. "And now we're here...to help you and get back at our former master in far more subversive ways than just killing one of his heirs."

Vincent glanced between Mariette and Cassandra, then looked to Senya as she spoke. Cassandra looked to the lady knight. "Oh, indeed. Our redheaded friend is inside Vucrox, likely in one of the tombs. We found a little clue in Sazak's personal chambers regarding it. Lets hope she's still alive when we get there. These northernmost reaches seem quite hostile to...well, everyone."

Last edited:
Takato had given up his attempt to restrict the fallen angel the moment after Leakhena began her tearing up of the vile being, just watching as the inner pain that they had seen back in the land of Lust manifested itself fully here. As she continued on, Takato wondered if he should step in and tell her it was fine now, but before his decision could be made, Leakhena snapped back to her senses. As she wept, Kassidy took up the mantle, and he just made sure to stay close as the two hugged, just to add another sense of security, one that he was sure she needed.

As Takato recouped, watching Leakhena and Henderson from nearby, he considered his actions during the battle just now. Due to the nature of the opponent they faced, one fallen from Heaven, it seemed as though he had tried to show the angel his following of their home, whether it be to show Heaven stood behind him, or that they had lost it. As he thought about that aspect, he also realized there was another aspect too, to some extent - the nature of a seemingly holy oni battling a seemingly damned angel, the biggest of contrasts. But most of all, was the fact that he even cared in the first place. Why was it that he cared...

...of course, he cared. After all that he had faced so far in the Abyss, and the words of his shadow still stinging, it was nothing but the insecurities of the mortal that was within him. The worries he had failed Heaven, its ways, and in turn, himself. He clutched at his robe... he needed the answers he was seeking.
---
Elsewhere, in the Abyss
North of the Land of Greed
Youdu, Yinjian

Within the walls of Youdu, stood a training ground any could use to practice their skills, whatever they may be. One day, barricades could be put to allow for the practice of archery. On others, an impromptu ring would be put in place for jiao li, that being wrestling, or the multiform leitai. Today, however, as has been for the past few, the space was occupied by the Bureau of Transgressions towards Pure Fellowship, the 28 strong, along with 3-4 more joining, those killed by the hermit in the mortal coil for their crimes.

However, one didn't join them, instead watching them from nearby with a scowl - the 'shaman' Gaá Xiaòzhou, the hermit's shadow demon. Whilst the group trained hard for what they believe to be a coming fight, the demon stood frustrated. If he had to guess, the mortals would be facing against the one named Irin, the fallen angel. Disgusting, they were, and had it not been for their connections with the one pure demon in the mortal group, he could've abstained from even interacting with them. The hermit, meanwhile, must be still ruminating on the dream he had, which he had infiltrated. Such a thought would ordinarily make him glad, but other matters had brought down consternation.

Following his meeting with the Bureau, he had traveled north to the Land of Dead Kings, for he knew some of his colleagues were lurking around the area. Knowing the assassins by themselves were weak-willed and irresolute, bar the few that had stood out to him, he needed someone that they could rally around their bulk, anyone, whilst Zuoqui Huntun and Huo Zingwei dealt with the hermit, with him firing suppressive fire from afar. It would be a foolproof plan, but unfortunately, each of his colleagues refused to accept the assassins into their party, no matter their status or potential use, for any number of reasons. It enraged him.

Hoping to set his mind elsewhere, he decided to spend the remainder of his time within the land investigating whether or not he could find any traces of Abahai or Takato's family. However, he found no success there, despite the qi sensitivity he had inherited and amplified by his very nature. Was it the land which hid them, or was it truly so that they were there not? He continued his search on out of the land, through the pilgrimage routes, where some had settled, but he found nothing of use there either. And returning to Luzhou, where preparations for the celebratory Night of Sevens were nigh complete, he continued to trouble himself with his failings. No oni whom he confronted dared speak of the one to take Zhong Kui's place, and the denseness of the oni population was immense. And it was even possible that Abahai lived outside of Yinjian, in some godforsaken cave or what have you.

It was only by happenstance, that the last oni he had asked, the 88th, had but the smallest resemblance in aura to his own, at which point he asked if he could be taken to their home. After asking more 'thoroughly' the second time, he was brought to the moderately-sized-yet-modest estate, where he began to inquire about an oni child, for that's how they would've known the hermit last. Whilst he had gained a lead finally, he had gained too many, none too obvious from the outset, due to the hermit's own relative lack of knowledge. He cursed him under his breath, as he found himself being approached.

"[Shaman, still unwilling to join us in our exercise?]" Huntun asked.

"[Pay no mind to me, assassin. Continue your practice.]"

"[Oh, I wish to do so, believe you me. However, I wish to continue it... with you,]" Huntun spoke, pointing his weapon of choice, a mechanically-complex spear, towards the shadow.

"[...even when I will be in the back, merely firing upon him and his associates?]"

"[Think of it more as an opportunity for me to gauge his strength now.]"

The shadow stared down the damnable assassin, and sighed. He earnestly didn't want to do this. He knew he was beyond what the assassin could handle. But at the same time, he could use this opportunity to take some anger out. And if nothing else, he did seek to humiliate the impudent bastard, every word spoken being laced in a tone unbefitting.

"[...alright then, lead me to the arena,]" the shadow responded, Huntun merely grinning fiendishly, as he did so.

Those that had gathered for the training today moved aside to give the two the space needed for what they were about to do.

"[...for you to truly gauge the hermit's strength, I propose this battle be 'no holds barred', in technique, style, or accessories,]" the shadow stated.

"[Fine by me! Show me what he can do, you shadow!]" Huntun yelled out, as the two entered their stances; the shadow entering an oni-derived posture, whilst the assassin entered a spear-wielding posture.

The two moved swiftly, the assassin trying to strike against the shadow with his qiang, but the shadow's stance allowed him to strike against the spear without its bladed end cutting him. Slowly closing the gap, the shadow attempted to strike at the assassin, but the spear now blocked his strikes. The shadow stepped forth, as though he was about to strike again, but he faked him out and stepped back, blasting qi at the assassin. While some of it struck him, he managed to deflect the rest by twirling his spear.

With the gap widened, the assassin unlocked the mechanism within his spear, and thrust it forward. At the distance the shadow was, it wouldn't hit, but the mechanism it had allowed it to stretch itself further. Anticipating this, the shadow dodged the spear head and grabbed one of the mechanical sections of the spear's innards, pulling the assassin towards him. The shadow tried to strike at the assassin with leg strikes, but the assassin countered with his own. With a strong enough tug, the shadow relieved the assassin of his spear, and continued his assault.

Striking ever faster, the assassin used the Abyssal qi to guard himself from the shadow's relentless attacks. Hoping he wouldn't notice, he began forming sharp qi bolts in the air, intending to pierce the shadow through, and the moment he could, he grabbed the shadow's wrists and tried to hold him in place. He found himself slightly dumbfounded, however, as whilst he sent down the piercing qi, the shadow merely phased out of his grasp, and now holding him in place, with his arm around his neck. With precise kicking, he pushed the shadow back enough that his own qi didn't attack him, but the shadow responded by kicking the back of his legs multiple times, forcing him to his knees.

The assassin tried to use his aura to force the shadow off of him, but the shadow seemed undeterred. The assassin grew frustrated and mad, trying to grab the shadow's singular horn, as to try and free himself. After managing to barely grab it, he tried to tug down, to force a release, but the shadow's muscular development allowed it to shrug off the tugging and instead tug the assassin upwards, effectively stretching him. He lets go of the horn after yelling in pain, now angrier than ever.

"[...h-how?! HOW?! H-HOW IS IT THAT THE SHADOW OF THAT SCUM CAN OVERPOWER ME?!]" Huntun yelled.

"[...it is not only his technique, but his strength. He sought to improve himself for the sake of others and the Dou, while you sought to improve yourself for the sake of none but you,]" the shadow responded.

"[DRIVEL! A HERMIT, NO MATTER HOW LONG LIVING, CANNOT MATCH THE TIME SPENT TRAINING HERE!]"

"[Quality, not quantity, is what matters,]" the shadow responded, before letting go of the assassin, "[...this bores me now.]"

The assassin gasped for the air of the Abyss, before looking over to those he considered his underlings: "[WHY DID NONE OF YOU HELP ME?!]"

Their eyes gazed away from the man that they were basically forced to listen to. As they did, the assassin could hear the shadow walking away.

"[NO!]" Huntun turned to face him, "[THIS MATCH IS NOT OVER YET!]"

"[If you cannot defeat me, how do you suppose to beat not only him, but those he had joined?]"

"[WE BEAT THEM IN NUMBERS!]"

"[...but in resolve?]" the shadow turned around to face him, before gesturing towards his comrades. Though they may agree with the assassin, their will wasn't as strong, none having the fury that Huntun had.

"[O-OF COURSE WE DO! THEY'LL LISTEN TO ALL I SAY, AND IF THEY FLEE, IF THEY AREN'T KILLED, I'LL HAVE THEM EXECUTED MYSELF!]"

The shadow looked at the faces of the other assassins, pained and frustrated at what they were hearing. Huntun once more abusing his position of power, to get what he wants. At this point, he was kind of glad that none of his colleagues picked up his offer, because then he wouldn't be able to do this.

The assassin watched as the shadow approaches him with a devious, yet neutral, look. He tried to get away.

"[STEP BACK, I GIVE, THIS MATCH IS OVER! LET US BE ON WITH OUR PRACTICE!]" Huntun tried to yell, but it didn't deter the shadow, "[A-A-A-AH, YOU BASTARDS, DO SOMETHING!]"

The others stood still, as the shadow now towered over.

"[DON'T YOU DAR-]" Huntun couldn't even finish his sentence before the shadow decapitated him in one fell swoop. The others were in shock. As the dead man vanished, to awaken where he entered the Abyss in the first place, likely far, far away from here, the shadow turned to the others.

"[...our contract is now broken. Proceed with your own business,]" he plainly stated, before vanishing himself in shadow.

He couldn't delay any further - he needed to find Abahai and Takato's family.

As the assassins considered what had just happened, Huo Zingwei laughed out loud: "[Serves that bastard right!]"

---
Takato remained in the back with Leakhena as the group continued on in the wagon, and the days passed, the questions ruminating still within him. Soon enough, they arrived at the train terminal, and made their way to the place Takato was expecting - the Land of Dead Kings.

On the train, Takato's attempts to get his questions answered, the ones Xager tossed to the side, failed once more. As such, during the train ride, he tried his best to meditate and concentrate on the task ahead. He wasn't sure whether his mind was being impacted once more from the influence of his shadow, or whether it was only his own insecurities pulling him down, but he struggled.

He was among the last to emerge from the train car, following behind the rest. Nearby, camped the familiar faces that had splintered off a while ago... and some new ones too. Senya and Gwen began speaking with Hudson, and the newcomers, or technically oldcomers, introduced themselves. Takato's interest was peaked, folks involved in some aspect with the Witlock Inquiry and vampires to boot? Color him curious, especially after Cassandra's comments.

Last edited:
A part of Gwenaelle had, frankly, no clue how the group kept ending up with the creatures of the night on their team. "Ah... vampires. How... wonderful." She was at least thankful they weren't more lycanthropes. Vampires were at least somewhat more... agreeable, before ripping their partner's throat out. More sneaky about it too, though. What she had less clue about is how the new arrivals were apparently famous amongst the group. Perhaps it's just something she missed. "Well, it is only proper to introduce myself, non? I am Queen Gwenaelle la deuxième de Chamoroux, last surviving heir of my family, and one of very few, if not the only Elven noble that remains." She made herself seem as grand as possible, even going so far as to bow down low, an arm across her midriff, and the other behind her back.

The long train ride all the way up to the Land of Dead Kings felt like it only took seconds to Leakhena. During the trip itself, she was unresponsive and borderline catatonic. Whenever one of the others tried interacting with her, the most they ever got was a slight shrug or a disinterested grunt. Barely any words came out of her mouth and rarely did she pay any attention to what anyone else might’ve been saying to her at the time. The harrowing events back at her home seemingly vacuumed away any feeling or emotion, leaving her somewhat like a dried up husk. Even when they departed and met their former teammates, teammates of which she outright despises to the bone now for having abandoned them and her, she doesn’t say anything nor does she look at them; though hearing Hudson’s voice again earned a rather scathing grimace fired at his direction. She had hoped he died in agonizing pain somewhere in the Abyss, or worse, made into a slave in the meat pits. The two new comers to the party are of zero interest to her either, and the fact they're both vampires really doesn't help matters.

So, she remains sulking somewhere at the back of the group, away from everyone’s eyes and keeps her head bowed to cover her hideous features with the shadow and brim of her helmet. The less attention she gets right now, the better.

Last edited:
"I'm fine." Henderson responded to Kassidy "Just gonna walk it off." The mutant was right. The wounds were already healing and it would take a few minutes for them to disappear as they were never there. Sure he could let her do her magic, but the thought of being dependent on that magic was becoming annoying to him.

Eventually they got back on the train and he could take some time to relax. A bath, a new set of clothes and some food to ease his mind and give him time to think. Standing outside on the last train car, he smoked and thought. Did he really want to go back after this? No, no he didn't. Did he want to work with this rabble of demons still? No, no he didn't. It all came back to how incompetent everyone seemed at maintaining any form of organization. If that was the nature of the Abyss, then maybe it wasn't far off for someone to take advantage.

"Do you mind the company?" His thoughts were interrupted by a woman's voice. At first he thought it was one of the succubi trying to weasel themselves into company and was about to eject her off the train when he turned around and stopped. It was a demonic looking woman. Skin, the hand and even the eyes, but no horns. What's more is that he recognized her. The face, the scent and even her voice still had that bit that made his old self envious of his former friend. "I usually hang out here to smoke, away from those inside. Everyone starts asking for one...Are you alright monsieur?"

"Colette?" Henderson was quick to get out with it "Is that really you?"

"Do we know each other?" The woman replied with understandable confusion

"Yes or no." He insisted.

"Yes. Do I know you?" Now she was annoyed "If you're one of those trickster demons, I'll take this gun and..."

"No, no. It's me! Edward! Henderson!" This chance meeting had left him unable to formulate his thoughts correctly. "I used to be smaller, more pathetic looking and was friends with your husband, Theodore." Now she was back to being confused, but her hand was still reaching for the gun "Oh don't bother with that, it would barely break the skin and besides, this suit is brand new."

"How do I know you're actually him? Last time I saw him, he was about a quarter your size and well...looked human."

"I'm smocking Loren's." The mutant showed the tobacco he was using using for his pipe

"By the gods, it is you. Not even demons like that."

"Tasteless wankers." He commented before continuing "Well, now that you know. Do you mind telling me how you ended up here of all places?"

"Only if you explain yourself."

"Fair. Ladies first." Colette let out a sigh and began to retell what had led to her being here. The same story she gave to Jacob days earlier. This time there was nothing to damage besides a railing she gripped, but it didn't show any real signs after she was done with it. Henderson however was not interested in calming her rage, he was rather interested in how much had the Abyss effected the woman he once knew long ago. Her fate was tragic, but the gods and their laws were far from just. He wondered how exactly these sorts of poor souls are chosen if they are to be tormentors outside of random chance. There were still many things left a mystery in the Abyss. Eventually she finished and gave him an expecting glare. Time for his own explanation.

"Ahh, I see. Shame how fate treated you, but I fear it treated your husband no different after what happened to you." He inhaled from his pipe before continuing "You see after your death, he became distant for a while. Aggressive and very angry. I chalked it up to being in the Order now and those fanatics having their claws in him." As he talked he did small gestures with the pipe in his massive hand "One day, I receive a letter from him. Inviting me to come on an expedition with him with a woman named lady Lynch. I wont bore you with the details, but she had us running erands all over, collecting 'material' from different besties. Werewolf, vampires, ghosts, you name it. All in the name of finding a cure for them, or so we thought. In reality, she was a pureblood vampire. And like many of them, she was absolutely good at hiding it while she performed her deeds. But that's not what did us in. You see while the relationship between us and her grew, Theodore became the one who did the field work and I was the one who worked the labs. And she had set aside some very interesting material for me to read through. Dark arts. Necromancy, blood magic and even some ancient relics." Another pause to inhale and let the smoke come out as he recounted what followed

"The good lady had worked her spell on me. She had plans. The material we gathered wasn't for cures. It was for creating hybrids. To my frustrations, they were failures. All of them. Your husband found out eventually when we 'compared notes' and he rode off to gather his mates from the Inquisition. I had to act. Using the magics I learned from those cursed tomes, I separated the essence of werewolves and vampires and created a concoction, but I needed a trigger. Lady Lynch would provide. Her bite was to turn me into her eternal thrall." The brute stared for a brief moment into the distance and a sadistic smile formed and he looked back at Collete, who now looked to him in horror "I tore the bitch apart as she held me in her embrace. The bite I returned in kind as I tore through her neck with my own teeth. Her body I rationed and disposed off in different places around Escaria. Her head, I delivered to the Inquisitors myself as proof that I had not ran off with her and was on their side. For the time at least. They locked me up for years in the basement of that cathedral of theirs. Pocking and prodding at me to see what will finally kill me. The Abyss was their final solution as per Theodore's own idea."

"Oh, Edward...all of this? From a vampire." Colette was silent as she tried to take it all in. Everything was so wrong. But something wasn't adding up. He spoke of necomancy and magic that Theodore was involved in somehow, but Jacob never mentioned any of it. "What happened to him, Edward?" She broke her silence "What happened to my husband?"

"It's just Henderson now." He corrected her politely "And he truly went off his own path. The knowledge of those tomes scars you for life. It opens up your mind to all sorts of twisted possibilities if you're not careful. But Theodore was never one to practice it." He gave her a reassuring look "The practice scars the soul and it actually leaves an odor as it festers and rots. Your insides are slowly decomposing the more you utilize the ruinous powers. Whatever life extension is applied is only a mask to the true rot. Theodore never had that, but he came close. No, he had other sins. From his colleagues that spend time prodding at me I learned of the things he'd spend time on. He turned into a killer, Colette. A very efficient one. The gentleman you knew in life is long gone, replaced with one who takes pleasure in designing new ways to end others. The fact that he applies it only to kill those who prey on others is probably why they'll have a hard time deciding if he belongs here or not."

"Funny." She gripped the railing again as she leaned on it "Someone else told me about him a few days ago."

"Oh?" He was intrigued.

"Man from Theodore's last group. Said he now works for him at a detective agency in Red Gorge."

"A werewolf fella, right?" He pointed to her with the pipe to confirm his guess.

"Mhm." The mutant didn't need to ask for more. But he did wonder what the odds were of her not only meeting him, but Jacob as well in such a short span in the Abyss. Probably somewhere in the astronomical.

"I see. Well, I'll be meeting with him soon enough, but don't take it that he lied to you. The man is simply ignorant of Theodore's more serious transgressions. I have the full report he send to the Inquisition along with his resignation. Carried it with the luggage so I'd have some reading before sleep." Henderson yawned before continuing "Speaking of, I'm getting tired from this trip. Help yourself to the report if you want. I've practically memorized it." As he entered back inside the car, he turned back for a second "Oh Colette, it was nice seeing you again. Very delightful chat."

"Yes. Delightful." She said faintly. Everything from her past was coming back and it was so...wrong. "Theo, what have you done?"
---
As Henderson got off the train and on to the platform he was prepared to meet up with the others and ready to hear yet another inane argument from Hudson how all demons were pure evil and deserved death. Somehow he missed this. Probably wont in a few minutes.

"Henderson!" He turned around to see Colette standing at the train's entrance, holding a bottle in her hand. "Could you do me a favor for old time's sake? You're meeting Jecob, so pass this to him." She tossed the glass bottle and he caught it. Examining it, he noticed the engraved text on the black glass 'Mercy's fortune' with a sealed note attached.

"He's right there, woman." He responded, rather irritated that he's an errand boy for them "Just go and give it to him yourself."

"I can't." The train was already moving "I have a few new places to go to and I'm not waiting in this wasteland for another train." The train already passed the station, Colette began to wave "Au revoir Edward and good fortune to you and the others." And with that she went back in and away from his sight. Henderson simply waved a bit and was now perplexed as to why she bothered with this in the first place as he stared at the bottle for a few seconds. He shrugged. Might as well do this for her sake. Only person he didn't feel any scorn or indifference deserved that much.

The others were already catching up by the sound of it, but he made a straight line to Jacob

"Oi, wolfman. I met with an old friend of mine and apparently you've made a very good impression on her earlier. She wanted you to have this" He held up the bottle before passing it to Jacob "I'm doing something nice for her and by extension you, so you better bloody like it."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back