• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

He gave a chuckle before leaning back and looking at her, his mouth turning again into a frown. "No... I have my own hypothesis. For starters, I don't think any ordinary person would have been shipped across an ocean just for a mission like this, least of all for something like murder. I'd think over there they'd exercise justice over that. And like Takato, I don't think you're human... the Church wouldn't call members from far away for this kind of mission as they would need people for operations there, nor are you a regular commoner hailing from those distant shores... although you have the guise of one. And combining those two, I think you're a notorious figure that the people of Redonia are keen of disposing of in one way or another. Not just a warrior, no... a leader of a bloodthirsty warband? Or perhaps just a serial killer whose foul impulses cannot be sated..."

He then gave a smile as a glass of fine wine materialized in his hand. "How close am I?" he then asked as he took a sip.

Gwen certainly wasn't disappointed when she entered the bath rooms. Clean and so tastefully decorated, much as the rest of the train had been. Certainly, she could get used to some treatment like this. In fact, they only seemed to be rivalled by the one trip she had to the palace of Pascuviré for a... diplomatic matter, to keep it short. They might've been bigger, perhaps, but size of course is not the all-encompassing measure of value for things like this. Even if it tends to help. And that's not even bringing up the fetching demon that greeted her and the most short-fused of their beasts. She decided to keep her gaze focused upon the incubus, if for no other reason than the less chances she had to have Anya blow up in her face, the better.

"Ah, but of course." A curteous bow from the elf, before she waved him ta-ta. "I'll be sure to keep you in mind, monsieur!" As much as certain thoughts swam through her head, another drove itself into her skull like a blunt nail. "Murder borne of lust." Slowly, but definitely, it began to drown out the thoughts she was having of Wesix.

...It was these very same thoughts that had brought her race down low-- erased them, even. A look of wry delight slowly gave way to consternation. Gwenaelle was in two minds of herself as she entered one of the bathing rooms.

Inari pondered his words visibly, one hand on her chin. "Hmm... not very close."

She raised her arms out wide, and then stuck her fingers into the corner of her mouth to show off her teeth. "I very human, for one, nor am I a.. cereal... killer? I not slay ground oats. I simple swordswoman saved by very nice inquisitor who send me here because bad daimyo wants to kill me for injustice I don't do. Maybe I kill badly many years ago in rage of passion, giving me sin, but I no bloodthirsty. I drink cider, see?" She wiggled the empty glass of cider in Venextos' face. "And me? Warband leader? Very silly!"

"I just try warn you about oni man. Smile faces hide daggers,. You strong, very strong wizard man. He talk of magic energy inside of you? He want to eat that."

Venextos stayed quiet for a moment before smiling. And soon enough another glass of wine appeared in his other hand before giving it to Inari. "You have a good day, madame." he said politely before walking off to speak to Senya. If there was one thing to take away from his conversation with Inari, it was that she was a poor liar. But he dwelled not long on it, as he approached the Red Warden again to speak.

"I do apologize if I caused you insult earlier, it was not my intention madame." he said sincerely to Senya. "I understand if some things might be difficult to speak of for you."

Jakob just smiled as Aliana hugged Riberta. The poor girl needed someone to rely on. He was glad Riberta could fill that role. As Jakob finished his song, he grabbed his hat and layed down on his bed. He covered his eyes with his hat, slowly drifting away into a deep state of sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Three decades ago...
Western Trenches, near Fort Uuib.

The Tsavanians were attacking the western trenches in full force, the first and only line of defense for Fort Uuib as well as being one of the most important forts protecting the county of Catanach and the western Highlands. It needed to be protected at all costs. The 12th and 14th Infantry Regiment had been mobilized to assist the 13th Infantry Regiment and 3rd and 4th Highlander Regiments around a week ago, but the Tsavanian attacks were continuing to increase in brutality. And so did the Atracan counter attacks. It was the start of a new week now, and they had been instructed to launch another attack. But they were caught by surprise once more as the members of the 13th Regiment were practically mowed down by a new set of Tsavanian trenches. Jakob ran through mud and blood, seeing the medics, nurses, and members of the clerical order of Gyasis patching up a few survivors of the 13th Regiment. He also saw traumatized Highlander men holding their rifles and claymores close as they stared at the top of the trench. Waiting for a sudden werebeast or Tsavanian infantry attack. The Highlanders had been at the front longer than anyone, and experienced the utter brutality of trench warfare the most.

Jakob eventually reached his superior officer, Major Henry Lancaster. An Atracan man from Darrington whom looked more like a play actor than a commanding officer but had a natural leading ability. He looked miserable at the moment, however, with heavy dark bags under his eyes. His pristine mustache remained intact though. The man tried to give Jakob a friendly smile, but it came out as an awkward forced grin. "Jakob, my boy. What's the matter?" Jakob looked a bit unnerved. "I don't know where...but they set out more machine gun nests. They...mowed down the 13th. I was about to charge when...they shot down Private Hendersson. We...can't charge them now, sir." The major looked down at the muddy ground of the trench. "I'd...stop for the day, my boy, but I'm afraid I can't."

As the major looked up to speak again, the pair were interrupted by an ominous presence. Both men saluted as a woman alongside several other hooded soldiers came in. General Dame Elizabeth Pendergast, behind her the Atracan 1st Royal Mages Brigade. The General eyed both men down, before speaking in a pronounced Dorchester accent. She sounded like actual royalty. "At ease, men. I was dispatched from Fort Munster because you seem to unable to deal with this front. You were supposed to take care of this, major." Maj. Lancaster looked at the general. The man was proud of his past military accomplishments, and always spoke without any trouble, but now he was struggling to speak up. "...My lady, you must understand that they are sending in the best at this front... The werebeast attacks in the night continue to escalate, and in the morning they have resupplied their ammo and continue firing down upon us. We almost lost a regiment just now." The dame let out a heavy sigh as she walked up to the trench, raising her head. A bullet struck the ground next to her, but she remained unfazed by it. She walked down again, looking to the members of her brigade and ordering them about.

"We'll launch a magical attack, and then I want all members of the infantry to charge down. Is that clear, Major? I don't want any other excuses. Just do it." The general looked at Lancaster directly in the eyes. Her stoic gaze was enough to make the man look to the ground in shame. "Yes, my lady... Sergeant Phillomon, I want you to send the message to the rest of the units, and then go back to your unit leader." Jakob looked at Lancaster. "Colonel Harrington was wounded during the failed charge, sir." Lancaster looked a bit puzzled for a moment. "Then I'm putting Captain Montgomery in charge. Come on, my boy, get a move on."

Jakob saluted the major, before running back through the trenches. Meanwhile, the members of the 1st Royal Mages Brigade began to walk through the trench and stopping in seemingly random spots throughout it. Jakob began to relay the message to every single regiment leader, eventually reaching Captain Montgomery, now the commanding officer of the 12th regiment. The man was shocked to hear of his new responsibility. In fact, he looked rather worried. But he had no choice. He commanded every unit to get up, and wait by the signal to charge again.

Jakob eventually reached his own unit, tired of running throughout the trench all day. But he didn't want his men to notice. "Alright, boys and girls... I want y'all ready. Keep calm, alright?" He looked about at the young southern men and women in his squad. They looked terrified, with the exception of a few, older members such as Jakobs friend from Redgorge, Cpl. William O'Niel, the squads machinegunner, Cpl. Robert Venedeto and the squads leader, Lt. Laura DeWitt. "Whoever said the Tsavanians are just a bunch of potato throwing savages deserves a boot up their ass..." said Venedeto, while readying his machine gun on the trench's edge with the help of a private. William chuckled a bit. "Common Atracan propaganda. Helps dehumanizing." he said, while loading his rifle. He then looked over to Jakob and gave him a smile. "You ok there, sarge?" Jakob shook his head. "I could be better... Montgomery looks scared shitless. He's the one in charge of the 12th now. There's also... a mage brigade." Venedeto spat on the ground before speaking. "Magic? That's about to bring bad luck to everyone. We sure as hell won't survive now. My nonna, Adona bless her soul, used to tell me about the witches putting hexes and cursing everyone!" He made the symbol of Thiasis with his hands while Lt. DeWitt rolled her eyes. "...that's just your Stiusil superstition, corporal. Not all magic is bad. Now finish setting up that machine gun. Jakob... I need you with me." Jakob looked at Laura and gave her a respectful nod. He wanted to help, but couldn't deny that the idea of staying behind in the trench doing machine gun duty was far safer than running in the field.

As the older people in the squad continued to talk, Jakob noticed that one of the privates in the unit was breathing heavily. He gently approached her, and noticed it was Private Annag Abernathy. The poor Highlander girl was from the 5th Highlander Regiment, which was wiped out two weeks ago on this front. She was put with the 12th instead with another Highlander Regiment due to her age. Jakob took pity over the small girl, who was wearing a dirty Atracan coat alongside a kilt and a dirty tartan beret. "Hey. Hey kid..." Jakob placed a hand on her shoulder. The young Annag just looked at him in a state of terror. "Calm down okay? I need you calm... and I need you to take your finger off the trigger. We are not in combat yet." He gave her a smile, in an attempt to calm her down. It worked a bit, as the young lady stopped shaking, but looked like she was about to cry now. "I... I d-don't want... to be here, Sarge..." she said, with her rather thick highlander accent. "You can't leave girl. You know what happens if you leave. I need you to keep calm...You want to go back home? Then follow my lead, okay? I'll try to keep you safe." The girl simply looked down and gave Jakob a nod. Jakob gave her a pat on the head before walking towards William. The man eyed Annag, before looking back at Jakob. "I wouldn't blame the highlanders if they want to start deserting." Jakob nodded. "Tell me about it...This girl saw nearly an entire regiment die. Nearly thousands of people, now buried under the mud. We are lucky it hasn't rained as much as before." "I fucking hate rain." added Laura. William nodded in agreement.

Across the trench, the members of the 1st Royal Mage Brigade began to cast a rather small fireball. General Pendergast began to shout at her men, as they increased their arcane concentration. The fireballs grew bigger in their hands, as the other soldiers began to look a bit nervous. Magic was a thing of legend for common people like them. With each passing minute, the fire spell became more powerful, and their casters began to look more tired. Their hoods unable to mask the expression of struggle on their faces. Pendergast didn't stop barking orders to her men during the entire time, only asking them to stop once the radiating balls of fire had reached considerable size. "Men and women of Atraca, the king, blessed be his name, counts on all of us to liberate the Highlands from the grip of the Tsavanian savages and brutes. We fight united! As One! As Atracans!" She pointed her regal shortsword to the sky. "When I give the order, my men will rain hellfire down upon the enemy, and you must charge! Might the Five Divine and the King be with you!" Her sonorous and commanding voice could be heard throughout the entire trench. Some like Jakob and William couldn't help but roll their eyes. When the order came, the mages launched their spells upon the enemy trench, like mortars. The fireballs spread out, almost like liquid fire burning in touched. Soon, the whistles from the commanding regiment officers began to ring throughout the trench. It was time to charge.

"Alright, everyone! I want you to run as fast as you can! Take cover if you must behind the rocks! GO GO GO!" shouted Jakob, as he climbed up the ladder out of the trench. The fire was spreading all over the enemy trench, screams of pain could be heard all over. But the Tsavanians refused to leave, the machine guns opening up at the charging regiments. Jakob ran through the mud, blood, and bodies of the battlefield. Occasionally stopping behind cover. Right behind him was Annag, who held her rifle as tight as she could. Watching other members of the regiment get cut down by enemy gunfire. "KEEP CALM, KEEP CALM!" Jakob shouted back to her, before charging again. He fired a few rounds off from his rifle at a Tsavanian machinegunner, killing him with his last shot. He, along with a few others from the 12th Infantry and 4th Highlanders managed to jump into the smoldering trench. The smell of burnt flesh was nauseating. Not as horrible as mustard gas, however. Jakob still wished he had his mask in hand, though. Annag soon jumped in herself, and began puking as soon as she landed.

"Alright! Private, keep close to me, okay?!" Jakob ordered the young lady, as he began to walk through the trenches. There were some explosions throughout the Tsavanian front. Not from enemy grenades or bombs, but from exploding ammunition that caught fire. That, along with the burnt bodies, made the scene look like something out of the Abyss. "Just...keep close, Annag. Just keep close." Eventually, Jakob arrived as a group of the 4th Highlanders were fighting in melee with Tsavanian soldiers. Claymore against mace, a wounded werewolf among the Tsavanians trying to protect its comrades. It was quickly beheaded, however, by a Highlander soldier. Jakob put an end to the melee, shootign two Tsavanians alongside Annag. "...Seems clear. Lets keep going."

But as the pair followed behind the Highlanders, Annag suddenly stopped. Looking down at the steamy ground beneath her. Jakob approached her, thinking she was having another nervous episode. But as he got closer, through the steam he noticed a vaguely humanoid shape on the burnt mud. It was a Tsavanian soldier. A boy, roughly around his late teens. Jakob could tell he was alive, his stunning blue eyes moving. Looking at both Atracans while crying. But the boys appearance was horrifying, as most of his flesh was burnt and his clothing melted with it. He was trying to speak, but only dry, barely audible words could be heard. "..П...о..моги мн..е..." Jakob looked horrified as the boy raised his charred hand up to Annag. The young lady did not say anything. "Don't look Annag... just... don't look." he said while pressing the young ladys face against his side, before firing a single round. She could hear the young lady crying against him. Jakob looked around him. How many of these soldiers were nothing but kids? One was just crying next to him. He thought about his young son while gently petting her head. "It's okay girl... it's okay... you'll be fine."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jakob opened his eyes. He was in their cabin, onboard the train. Inari had just left the room wearing nearly nothing but a robe and her sword. Aliana and Riberta were just waking up as well. Jakob just stared at Aliana as she walked out holding Riberta's hand. He let out a frustrated sigh, before walking out. After a rather uneventful bath, he joined the others in the dinning room, but remained quiet throughout most of it. From time to time looking at Riberta. He needed to talk to her, but he didn't know how to approach her. Eventually, he just got up and approached her. "...can I talk to you later? About Aliana... If not, okay. I think we're close to Sheol anyways." He gave her a friendly smile. "...Enjoy your meal, big lady." he said, before walking back to his cabin.

Now another mysterious man approaches, though one less unsettling than the former-mute, thankfully enough. It’s that wizard Takato seems to be awfully chatty with.

“You, wizard. How about you try some of this!”

Loque cuts a small piece of the thigh out and puts it on a fork, and offers it to Venextos.

Senya looked surprised when Venextos came up to apologize if he insulted her or something. In fact she never took offense or anything. Perhaps the time outside the Melgaeron Estate caused her manners to degrade. The Warden waved a hand, "No, you didn't cause any offense Grand Magus."

"Why, it's pork! Pork marinated and seasoned with herbs with a pepper sauce drizzle and surrounded in a crispy custard shell! It's a family recipe! Try it!" she says.

Venextos was relieved to hear that he did not offend the Warden, and thus put him in a cheerier mood. Such that he was willing to try whatever it was that was cooked up by the demon. "That is good to hear." Venextos said before biting down on the chunk of meat. It was quite delicious indeed, surprisingly so considering he wasn't a fan of pork in the first place.

"It's quite good." the wizard remarked.

Loque does a slight bow again, grateful as another person complements her skills at cooking, lifting her spirits some more. "I only make the best!"

Inari leered at Venextos as he left. She took the wine he had given her and eyed in suspiciously, sniffing it, before simply dumping it out in a bucket of ice at the food table. As if she would drink anything from a wizard that pulled something from thin air. Yuck. Like with most sorcerers, there was a smug air about that man she didn't like. They never smiled the right way. It was always in the eyes, not the lips.

She rolled her shoulders and grabbed some more cider, lingering near the food as she watched the party continue eating.

Eventually, the group would hear the loud whistle of the Abyssal train. They were closing in on their destination. The train began to slow, the group feeling the large vehicle lurching a bit as it's speed dropped. "We are now arriving in Sheol, ladies and gentlemen. If you would, gather your things from your cabins and follow Wesix to the exit to disembark." stated Cat, motioning to Wesix. He motioned for the group to follow, and it wasn't long before everyone was gathered together and ready to go.

As the door on the side of the passenger car opened, the group got a very clear view of the state of the crumbling city of Sheol. To begin with, the platform below where the ramp descended to was smashed and broken in half. A large gap ran down the middle of the stone platform, barely missing the obsidian obelisk used to call the train. Behind the platform was a stone fence-like wall, which was covered in bits of moss and other vegetation. Behind that, a large dilapidated building with half its roof caved in. There were people wandering about down below, apparently ordinary human hollows. But there were sounds of other creatures a distance away, up the hill behind the building towards the actual city of Sheol. It towered above the surrounding landscape, and was filled with the taller buildings and towers that one tended to see in modern cities in the mortal realm. Sadly, these had fallen into disrepair, and were on the verge of total collapse.

"Please, be careful. You're new to this realm, so I urge you to use caution." said Wesix, giving some of the group a look of worry. Vincent nodded at the incubus, before looking to the others. "Let's get going, then." he stated, before moving down the ramp. Roberta followed behind, her claymore drawn and resting on her shoulder as she lead Aliana with her other hand.

Jakob looked at the dead town in the distance. A proper 'home' for the hollow, devoid of life and meaning just like those that wander it's fields and empty streets. Jakob sighed before stepping forward, quickly catching up with Vincent and Riberta. "Wonder what we'll find in this place... I doubt that the Demon King knows we are here, so I doubt that we are being watched... still, keep your guard up, last thing we want is to get ambushed."

Last edited:
The bleak scenery of the town was no surprise to the hunter, and before they got off of the train proper he had already drawn his sword in preparation. Hudson gave Wesix the side eye through his helmet as he wished them to be careful. "What the fuck do you care?" he muttered before stepping off the train entirely. He wasted no time as he navigated the crumbled train platform, holding his sword tightly as he began to progress to their destination. If they were looking for some priest it would be quite hard to miss them, he figured.

"We will find a lot of enemies here, that's for sure." Venextos remarked to Jakob jokingly as he took a good look around. This place was quite a desolate ruin, perhaps a mere shadow of its former glory. But that did not matter now, as they were looking for only a specific figure to kill. "Perhaps we will find the priest in the upper levels of this settlement? Those in positions of power would never resign themselves to be down here in this ruinous rabble."

Inari downed the last of her cider before heading back to the cabin to grab her things. Her bundled knapsack was essentially all that she had not already on her person, and she slung it over her shoulders and followed the others out onto the dilapidated train platform outside. She took in a deep breath, smiling, as she looked over the crumbling city of Sheol. It was a beautiful sight, a place she could call home, with the right amount of people around her. Sure, the place needed some work. There were no great natural forests, or rivers, or mountains to gaze happily upon - but the atmosphere spoke of the ability to have a lot of fun in the streets, especially after hours. She was above random duels... for the most part... but when she was still a young samurai she slew many peasants and nobles in the streets for any reason at all under the guise of dueling.

"Very lively city," Inari commented. "We march to leader now, yes? Won't expect a thing. By sleep time, we own his building and we use as ours."

She heard Venextos spoke up and nodded, adding on to his remark. "Oh, yes, no wealth in city - all wealth in leader's lap. Otherwise we should see clean, soldiers, attempt at beauty over not beauty."

Despite the great luxury of the train's bathing facilities, the lack of special "attention" from the incubus meant that Anya bathed rather quickly, in her usual manner, with a hint of jealousy on her mind as she scrubbed herself clean. Once finished, she toweled off, pulled on her utilitarian clothing, and headed back to join the others. Coincidentally, the train pulled into the station at around the same moment, and she soon stepped out onto the platform behind the others. Inari was speaking to Venextos, and so Anya joined their conversation.

"We move fast, all the better," she commented. "Take too long and the leader will expect us. We are not like them," she said, gesturing broadly at the ruinous city and, presumably, its denizens.

When they were near Sheol, Senya made sure to get her belongings and left the train. She wondered if they would meet the same demons next time. Several members already followed Vincent and as a Warden she went closer to the front, holding the handle of her sword in case of an ambush.

They’re in enemy territory now , Senya expected everyone to keep a serious manner regarding the objective. She kept moving forward, scanning any angle repeatedly.

Jakob looked over his shoulder, noticing Anya walking a few meters behind him. He began to walk a bit more slowly, eventually walking at the same pace as hers. He gave the Tsavanian woman a friendly smile. "So... still waiting on an apology, y'know?" he tapped his chest. "Those things you threw, they crumbled immediately but the metal handles did hit me." He tried to look and sound as friendly as possible. "Look, I noticed how easily you turned... maybe I can help you, I know how to control the beast within me."

Aliana tightened her grip on Riberta's hand. This place looks terrible, devoid of any sense of being or life, with the entirety of the so-called 'city' being a mess of run down huts or buildings. She almost preferred being back in the wetlands, or the gate itself. This place was definitely not where she wants to be, but she keeps her feet steady on the shattered platform, betraying any sense of running away.

"I thought they'd at least clean the place up before we arrived.." She tried to joke, keeping her voice quiet still. A hand slides down into her pocket, to check on the state of her amulet, only to find the new crack branching off further. She doesn't know why it's breaking now, only assuming the corruption in the Abyss is making it deteriorate at a faster pace. She feels...different, now that its power over her is waning.

Her rifle is let off her chest, with her holding it semi-properly in one hand with a finger off the trigger, this time making sure not to repeat her mistakes. Aliana keeps reminding herself she can die here, and that none of this is a game or a dream.

"Just don't get hit..." She says to herself. Easy enough.

Takato watched as Venextos walked off, heading towards Senya first before turning towards Inari... was that one of the discussions he was thinking of partaking in? He hoped that the mage would be able to see through Inari, his skill and wisdom likely allowing him to do so, though he couldn't help but wonder if the wizard was avoiding him because he still hadn't gotten over the loss of appetite he suffered as a result of his choice of topic the night before. He hoped a repeat of Senya wouldn't occur. He sighed, as he just continued to watch the others. Soon enough, the train's whistle blew - they were arriving. He gathered his things, and stood by everyone else, ready to go.

Takato looked over the city of Sheol... dilapidated was an understatement. He could see hollows in the distance - he would have to free their currents from the rock blocking their way. He listened in on the others as they discussed, to keep their guards up. Takato tried his best to detect the auras in the area, though a day past and he still hadn't fully tapped into the qi of the Abyss.

"We mustn't forget to put down these Hollowed beings, as Tariun had said; show them the mercy the priest has refused to give them," Takato remarked, looking towards the others, hopeful to see if anyone agreed, "But otherwise, swift we should be and cover ground quickly. The priest knows this land, and we do not."

Anya looked at Jakob disdainfully. "I did not throw at you. Stupid of you to stand in the way." Before Jakob had gotten over the shock of her response, she added, "I do not want your help. Not you, nor other wolf, either! You want to help, stop talking to me. You give me headache."

Jakobs friendly smile slowly faded away as Anya looked and talked to him with disdain. He was surprised by her answer, he had genuinly hoped that the Tsavanian would try to mend things, after all, they were lycans in the abyss, they could watch each others backs, but instead, she seems to utterly hate her own kind. "And what? I should have let you hurt a good innocent girl? and... what the hell is your problem woman? Why do you hate werebeasts?"

Jakob's questioning only annoyed Anya further. She had intended to apologize to Aliana at some point for what had happened the previous day, but having been confronted in such a way by a man she already had reason to hate only pushed her onto the defensive. "You say yourself, blades too weak to kill. I scare the girl, yes, but she scare me, first, and I hate to lose control." Something was off about Anya's appearance, now, but it was hard to tell the difference. At least her eyes weren't yellow, yet. "Wolves kill my husband. Eat my son." She spat at Jakob's feet. "Bite me with same teeth that rip him apart in front of me... RAH!" She stumbled several steps away and doubled over, grabbing her knees with clawlike hands and hiding her face from Jakob for a moment. After several seconds she stood and turned, having successfully held onto her human form a while longer. "You should not ask me such things... It brings bad memories."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back