• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Ethraeil took off his hood, seeing no reason to keep his guise indoors. "I have good reasons not to trust demons of any kind." he said before suddenly feeling a new aura arrive in the vicinity. He turned to see two people approach, and subsequently introduced by the demon innkeeper. High Inquisitor? Then the Church must have either heard our pleas... Or this is a strange non-coincidence.

Ethraeil did not say anything, but eyed the two over.

Camille eyed the Countess with some curiosity, noting that the wind had been taken out of her sails entirely if she would so haphazardly break her case of gold open and allow the locals to descend upon it. The huntress couldn't deny how charitable she had been on this trip yet she would often do such exchanges in dignity rather than disgrace. It was as if the vampire was even more of a husk walking among the world of the living, carrying this depressed aura with her wherever she went. One might expect the Marquess to find joy in this, or perhaps even rub such a condition in her enemy's face and yet she didn't.

There wasn't too much time to think about such things right now, and she turned to Aleister before nodding to him. "Yes, I do believe I am ready to go. I have no idea what is taking Rosanna so long but we may as well get going." she said, only to glance at Ethraeil and two unusually dressed people walk into the inn beside them. They were given an inquisitive sneer from the Marquess before she brought her attention back on scouting out the festival.

Jakob watched Mariette as she walked away from the group, feeling an overwhelming bout of sadness as the countess continued to fall deeper into some sort of depressive episode. What had happened in the streets of Grimsby? Eventually, he looked to Aleister and Camille, whom were waiting on Rosanna. "You guys go on ahead. Have some fun or at least get some info." He pointed at the carriage. "I'll unload our things and make sure things are alright in the inn." He tried to give them a reassuring smile, but it could only be described as an awkward grin. "Don't worry, I'll catch up with ya both."

The horses were under the vigilance of the Inn's ostler, so all Jakob had to do was unpack the luggage and carry it inside. As he tried to grab one of Aleister's things, one of the priest's cases fell on Jakob's hand, hitting it quite hard. Jakob gasped in pain as he threw the suitcase on the ground. "Damn that stupid effeminate runt! Why does he carry so much shit!?" he snapped, out of sheer anger. But after a few moments of breathing, he realized what he just said. What was wrong with him? He never insulted people behind their back like that. Especially a good friend like the priest. Ever since Grimsby, he had been more prone to anger. Jakob let out a heavy sigh, as he picked up the case and dusted it off with his hand. Hoping nothing inside had broken.

After unpacking most of the things from the carriage, he grabbed several of the suitcases and bags. To the naked eye, he looked as though he were going to collapse under the weight of the luggage, but of course thanks to his new strength as a werewolf, he barely felt it. He carried the luggage to the front door, gently pushing the door with his foot and walking inside. He noticed Rose talking with a quite dapper looking woman who's strange aura could be felt outside the inn, as well as Ethraeil. He also noticed a pair of individuals, one looking to be an Inquisitor while the other was a woman from the far-west. But what really caught his attention was the Kobale! Any anger in him quickly washed away as he lowered the luggage and quickly walked over. "Holy mother of Gyasis! You're a walking lizard! Hi walking lizard!" he said in an almost childish way. He looked to Rose and the Lich. "Look at this, Rose! Its a walking lizard!"

Aleister adjusted his hood, pulling it a little lower over his head as if he was preparing for a rainstorm. His white gloves were meticulously cleaned, and he even examined them a little, adjusting the fitting, before gesturing down the lane. "Well, let us be off, mademoiselle. The true festivities and spirits will emerge at sundown, but it would be wise to be prepared before then. I suspect we'll be awash in mask sellers. They often flock the streets. And since we are early... we'll have the prime selection before others begin to pick out the best."

"And if you aren't above having a friendly discussion with some troops," he added in a quiet voice, "we may be able to do some more... advanced information gathering."

With that, he set off down the street alongside the marquess, his eyes shrouded by the hood but no less alert.

The huntress had her hood up the entire time so she did not have to do any more to conceal her identity any further than she had to. "Yes, we should get going before we lose sunlight completely." she said calmly, looking back to the inn as they started to walk away. The idea of a raven mask did sound rather appealing to her, just a fun idea to go with the persona that the public has attached to her. In a way it would make for an interesting, tiny little distraction.

Though when he whispered something about business she turned to him with an eyebrow quirked, her arms at her side as they casually stepped down the street. "It would be extremely suspicious to ask the constabulary or soldiers the Duke's whereabouts. Especially when the both of us look like would-be assassins." she says back with a whisper. "Perhaps it best you try to sense auras."

Throughout the journey towards Peltagrow Galina had kept mostly to herself, chatting only momentarily with Erwin and Theodore from time to time.
She tried to hide it but for the past days she had become more and more doubtful of the inquiry's mission.

Wesley had vanished as quickly as he had appeared. Witlock was gone but had already sealed her fate through other means. Then there was the matter of the magic sword, their last hope, which had been stolen right in front of them. Lastly was Mariette and her resigned attitude.

Morale was at a record low yet the group pressed on for there was nothing worse than admitting defeat without even putting up a fight.

Once the group arrived at the inn Galina completely ignored the discussion taking place. She made sure that their horses were well taken care of before opting to help Jakob unload the carriage.

As the constable cursed Galina shook her head. He needed guidance to control his gift. If not his gift would sooner or later turn into a curse.

Grabbing four satchels containing ammunition and other assorted items Galina followed Jakob into the inn but immediately halted at the door. With her own gift growing stronger by the day so did her senses.

Her eyes were fixed to the woman speaking with Rose and Ethraeil. Her aura was strong. Demon? She couldn't tell.

Once she realized that Rosanna and Ethraeil weren't readying to strike Galina approached the trio, ignoring Jakob's comments of the lizardman. They were nothing but pests.

As she aporoached Galina gave a curt nod towards the woman before looking at Rose. "I'm going to clean my weapons and restock on ammo. Want me to take a look at yours too?"

Aleister smirked ever so slightly as he strode alongside Camille. "What you say is true, but I did not mean to speak with the soldiers so casually.... rather, we kidnap one, or two, and we wring whatever information we can from them before disposing of them. A gentleman should never admit to knowing how to kidnap someone, but one learns a thing or two when dealing with unruly people. Mortals are generally easier to deal with than my own kin. Though I've spent more than enough time working to police those who tread improper lines. I don't know what it is about Daristein, but I've dealt with more errant and wayward vampires there than I have anywhere else. Must be the foul air from all the mills."

"Of course, I will monitor for auras, but if I can sense them... they can sense me. Not that it should be too terribly concerning - one who is sensitive to these things comes across many with notable auras - yet in an environment such as this, it may be cause for questioning. I do not doubt the Duke and his associates have a close eye on who is and is not in the city."

Camille seems to stiffen up as Aleister reveals his suggestion, squinting and staring at the horizon as they brushed past the crowds of people on their way to the festival grounds. "No." she says simply, shaking her head as her hands find their way into some pockets in her outfit. "We have no way of knowing just how closely the soldiers work with the Duke, if at all. I refuse to disrupt an even harm an innocent person if it can be helped. We would truthfully be better off asking them up front rather than dragging them off to some alley and forcing such information out of them."

With a sigh she takes in his last observation with a nod. "If we could somehow determine who exactly those associates are, I will not hesitate to get what we need from them. But in a foreign land such as this we need to figure out who is truly aware of the part they're playing in the plans of our target. I have my doubts that a simple soldier will know of the scheme that's brewing..."

"Come now, mademoiselle, I wouldn't suggest taking any random soldier... only one that seems... like a promising subject. I believe the Duke will be using troops not unlike the cavalry regiment we had most unfortunately encountered. Not that I think all the men will be, say, werewolves, but I do not believe that all the soldiers here would be men innocent of wider knowledge," he explained calmly. "Of course... I could be rather wrong on that fact, but I would not kill an innocent if I was not absolutely forced to do so for the greater good of our mission. As it stands, I do not think that will be much of an issue. Remember Porthcrawl? Those were not pure lads. I doubt the Duke would keep such men close to him. The men about these parts are likely veterans, with a tolerance for the... unusual."

"I suggest an officer, if we find one, or perhaps even a sergeant of some standing. It would be best if they are mortal, but if they are a vampire that shouldn't be too much of an issue for me to deal with, either. I sense nothing about these parts, though I suspect that will change as we approach the market districts."

He continued along, his hands clasped behind his back as he looked every which way curiously. "Anyways, between the two of us, I think we would make a rather effective duo for interrogation. If charms don't work, threats will."

"Constable, that is rather rude to call them that." Theodore said in a friendly tone as he walked out of his room. An idea had formed in his head ever since he heard about the carnival. Most of the time, his short stature and mask would be a hindrance in social situations. But there were time like these when it acted as a boon. Many people let their guard down around the presence of the festival. Many do it around attractions. Maybe around a masked dwarf performing magic tricks with a slight of hand on the street.

Indeed those situations are rare in his line of work, but when they come he makes the most of them. His mask was replaced with a more ornate one. The leather was adorned with marking similar to that of masks found in festivities. Rather than his inquisitorial uniform, he wore clothes that made him look as close to a street performer as possible. As for the performance itself he had a few tricks up his sleeve that he learned over the years to keep up a ruse.

He was adjusting his sleeve when he walked out to see the others talking. After informing Jakob that he was accidentally saying something he shouldn't, Theodore turned to Rose

"I'll be taking a more discrete method of information gathering." He said, clasping his hands in front of him "It gives me a chance to test some things as well."

As Rosanna shook her head towards Galina, Tariun spoke up in regards to Jakob. "Please don't call my associate a 'walking lizard', dear lycan constable. He does have a name." she said, tilting her head as she studied Jakob. "Khand!" said the kobale, giving Jakob a look of his own. The woman with the high inquisitor giggled faintly. As Theodore stepped up and spoke of information gathering, that caught the attention of the high inquisitor. "Information gathering?" he asked, raising an eyebrow as his attention shifted between Rosanna and Theodore.

Rosanna quickly remembered exactly what he was and spoke up. "High Inquisitor, there's something bad goin' on here in Grimtham. Dunno how much ya know, but four cities have already got attacked here, and one of them just a few days ago. You heard of a Cassandra Bainbridge? Or a dullahan knight named Sir Tristyn?"

Winchester looked surprised. "I haven't heard anything about the attacks. We only arrived here yesterday to stock up on supplies. I'm the High Inquisitor in Shioya, over on the Redonian continent." he said, looking to Masami next to him before looking back to Rosanna. "But yes, I know of Cassandra, as well as the knight. They're here on the island?"

Rosanna nodded rapidly. "Yeah, they're workin' for the damn Duke himself!" she stated. Winchester's expression turned to one of shock. "Duke Ashwood? But he's one of the most upstanding noblemen here in Atraca. I've spoken to him several times during my trips here to Grimtham over the past few years." he responded after a moment, looking among those standing there with them.

Rosanna eventually motioned for Winchester, Theodore, and Ethraeil to step over to the other end of the bar to speak for a moment. Once they had gathered together, Rosanna continued. She explained everything that had happened to them since Bromwich, going into detail over the events. Ethraeil and Theodore also added in their comments here and there, to back Rosanna up. After a few minutes, she summed up things with one last statement. "The Duke's got Cassandra, Sir Tristyn, Maj. Archer, and Archer's men here in Grimtham workin' for him. And the Gods know what else. He's got the Ring of Adona, and now he's got the Sword of Velin since Cassandra took it when she kidnapped our inquiry leader. He's gonna overthrow Adonia's leaders and replace them with pureblood vamps just like him. He's gotta be stopped, High Inquisitor. Some of us have sent letters down to the mainland, but nothin's come of it beyond a statement sayin' that the church is dealin' with an uprisin' of werebeasts in Daristein."

Winchester was quiet for a few moments, rubbing his chin with his hand as he processed all the information she had given him. "...Archer's men might be monitoring outgoing mail from Grimtham. That's likely why you haven't received any help from down south." he said finally. He glanced up to the trio, before straightening up. "I'll make sure word gets to Church, don't worry. For now, you'll have to make due with what you have. The Duke will be here in Peltragow for the Festival, like he usually is. If you can find Senior Inquisitor Witlock, Wesley, and the sword, you might can take down Ashwood here before things get any worse. Once he's dead, turn the ring and sword over to the Church, so that they're properly dealt with. They don't belong in an archive. They belong hidden just like they had been before. No one should wield the power of the gods beyond the gods themselves."

-----------------------------------------------------
Elsewhere, in the Duke's Estate...

Wesley sat silently, resting on the satin sheets of a large bed inside of a lavishly decorated room. It was Cassandra's room apparently, though it looked a little too refined for her. Cream colored walls, with golden trim. Polished brass knickknacks here and there. A large oval mirror stood in the corner next to a large mahogany wardrobe. The only thing that didn't match the room itself was the iron and silver chains which locked him to the bed's frame. Courtesy of Cassandra.

He heard her voice after a moment, as the large door opposite of him across the room opened. "My love! You're awake again!" she said, grinning as she stepped through the door. Instead of her typical inquisitorial garb, she was dressed in more relaxed clothing. A white blouse shirt, dark colored trousers, and leather shoes. Her hair was down, though it looked a bit roughed up. The most notable thing was she had blood on her mouth and an empty vial in her hand. Likely Romanov blood from how she sounded.

A blur of movement later, she was standing at the foot of the bed, a wide grin on her face. "...How are you feeling? Because I'm feeling wonderful." she said, followed with a giggle.

"It's very possible that the soldiers are indirectly working for the Duke, so we will likely get the results we need from an officer, oui." Camille agreed. With a slight smirk she shook her head yet again, rolling her shoulders as she took her hands out from her pockets. "Be they mortal or vampire I can also handle them well enough. And you can leave the threats to me, I'm not exactly known to be charming when there is much on the line." she adds, her eyes scanning the streets as they continued to walk.

"I do not know if we will find an officer among all the festival goers, it seems rather unlikely to me. They'd likely be giving orders from indoors or watching from a specific vantage point..."

"Stockade is too obvious, but should not be out of the question." Theodore though for a moment "Perhaps his estate or any lands and property that belong to him. If we had a ledger that would narrow down the search."

"And this doesn't include the amount of guards on alert currently. I barely managed to get far with the amount of patrols in the streets." Ethraeil stated. "A stealthy approach would be difficult to pull off in any manner."

"We don't exactly have the numbers for a different kind. But maybe we can uncover information that will lead us to a different conclusion."

"I have a feeling that the Duke's estate is the most likely place to be holding the sword and our missing comrades. It's the most fortifiable place for the Duke and his men to be at, and knowing Cassandra she would want Wesley more in comfort rather than in a dark dungeon. It could be our best shot." Ethraeil said. "I do have an idea, though I have a feeling you might not like it Theodore."

"A two-pronged approach. The rest of the Inquiry are to infiltrate the estate while... I bring you as a 'prisoner' to them as a diversion. Draw attention onto us. Gives the others more time to get inside." Ethraeil stated. "As you are an actual inquisitor, you are important in terms of actually being able to wield the sword. You would be a highly sought-after bait that I present to them."

"Come now, you are plenty charming, mademoiselle, once you look past all the blades," Aleister laughs, politely covering his mouth with his white gloved hand. "But you are right, my time among military men has shown me that a great deal of the officers are, how do you say, pretend cultured, I suppose. If they had any artistic fiber, they would be out and about enjoying the festivities up close. Most will likely be in parlors, drinking and gambling, and always in groups. Perhaps if we can find such a place, we can wait for one or two to leave. A man who loses a card game or has had too much to drink will leave early, and will likely already be in an attitude positive for questioning."

"I've managed to sneak into an officer's club or two over the years, but I don't think I would like to do that here. Too dangerous."

"You're right, I don't like this." Theodore responded to the suggestion "Me being bait is the least of it. Locating the sword would be the easy part. Getting the thing out and wielding it will be hard. I'm not exactly competent with a blade and I doubt the hosts are stupid enough to let the head inquisitor with her sword hand intact. Speaking of the sinister duo. Casandra and the duke will likely wonder why you suddenly turn on us. A good performance will be needed by the both of us if that ruse were to succeed."

"Hmm." He stopped to think for a second "Monsieur Winchester. How good are you with a two-handed blade?"

"I don't think it would take much to convince them of a lich ' turning' against inquisitors." Ethraeil replied with a dry sarcasm.

Winchester listened to the two go back and forth with their conversation, before looking to Theodore when he asked about using a two-handed sword. "I'm trained to use one-handed weapons. I've only used a two-handed sword twice, and it was a bit awkward." he said, patting the hilt of the sword on his waist. "Besides, I can't stay. I'm needed back in Shioya. I help maintain peace between the local clans. If conflict breaks out, you can say goodbye to the church we have there."

"I don't think it would take much to convince them of a lich ' turning' against inquisitors."

Rosanna glanced to Ethraeil. "Cassandra knows you're with us. The moment she sees us, we're screwed." said Rosanna, folding her arms.

A moment later, Winchester spoke up again. "Its likely that the sword is being kept in the Estate. I've also heard rumors that there's a dungeon beneath the estate from when Peltragow was a citadel during the Age of Darkness. Perhaps Witlock is being held there." he said. "If not there, then likely in the brig at the garrison on the east side of Peltragow. Maj. Archer would be watching over her regardless, so you'll have to deal with him."

Jakob looked to the Inquisitor, raising a brow. He had heard of a Winchester back home, as his sister Mary Beth spoke of him in a letter from her many trips as a member of the Hunter's Guild. He'd have to ask the man later if he knew of her. In the mean time, Jakob looked at the dapper-looking lady and gave her a nod as she talked rather respectfully of the kobale assistant, but he couldn't deny his fascination with the little lizard creature. As the rest of the inquiry stepped aside and proposed ideas with the other inquisitor, Jakob carefully tried to poke the kobale. But after a bit of consideration, he decided to restrain himself.

He then looked to the woman standing close to him, also looking at the little kobale with fascination. She had a strange aura. Nothing he had seen before so far. "You're not human, are you?" he asked, with a bit of wonder in his voice. "What are you? A demon? You don't feel like one..." He rubbed his chin for a moment, thinking of some creature from the far west regions of Shioya. "Are you a Tengu?" he asked, clearly not knowing what a real tengu looked like.

Masami looked to Jakob, and smiled as he suggested she was first a demon then a Tengu. "I'm neither. I am what is called a 'Kitsune' in my homeland. Tengu are bird-like creatures, and the Oni have more in common with your traditional demon." she explained. "Think a fox, but also a witch. Its the easiest way to explain things without actually showing you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back