• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
As Mariette tore the pitiful creature apart with her bare hands, the fury inside her began to wane a little bit. As gruesome as the task was, at least the dead were being laid to rest.

She watched as Camille closed in on the few remaining and was reminded of her attitude that killing vampires was much the same - laying them to rest - and couldn't even imagine the woman holding remotely similar feelings as her own at the moment. These dead, after all, had lost their sense of self. Mariette, however, was the same woman that she always was. And that was important despite the Maquess's opinion; Mariette was not a merely a shadow of herself, she was herself. Not that it made any difference.

She followed the Marquess and kept striking at the zombies, but the entire time she felt a seething resentment, not just to the inquisitors who cut off her head, but the human race which turned it's back on her and whose unbridled hatred enabled such a terrible thing to happen in the first place. If only there were some third option, she thought, wherein I could stop Duke Ashwood but sill put the humans in their place...

As Ethraeil dispatched the abomination with a killing blow, he turned his head to where he had arrived from earlier. He was expecting Rosanna to finally have caught up by this point, but much to his surprise she wasn't there. In fact, he couldn't feel her aura at all, which caused him to narrow his eyes in concern. Something's happened... did she stay behind purposefully? Was she caught by Trystin? he thought to himself.

"Mariette. Can you feel Rosanna's aura perchance?" he asked with a growing worry.

The Countess stopped in her tracks. "No... I don't," she answered, head snapping in the direction they had come from. "I don't sense the other one, either," she added, referring to Trystin. She turned to Valeria. "Mademoiselle, should we go back, or press on?"

Galina's sixth sense saved her once again, this time from being struck by one of the zombies. Once the Duchess was clear of the aforementioned undead individual she launched her counterattack- Galina shouldered her rifle yet again and engaged several targets with two shots fired at each one. She made a mental note to swap magazines soon as she gritted her teeth in anticipation for the recoil.

Aleister was pleasantly surprised he managed to channel the electricity as well as he did. He had spent many hours practicing the technique during thunderstorms, and it didn't always turn out well. There had been several days in which he lay at rest after being struck by a bolt of lightening, or succeeding in frying his hand and arm in the attempt. All fatalities for a mere mortal, and just another day in bed for one blessed with immortality and the regeneration of a vampire. The pain was, naturally, incredibly immense... but not permanent.

The only unfortunate aspect was that the abomination was dead before he could attack it. A simple change of direction was all that he needed to send the bolt into a filthy zombie, and the creature was little more than a charred nugget by the time it settled into the muck after being launched sailing away.

The others were clearing out the remaining zombies in good time, and Aleister reached for his pistol again and fired some shots at the remaining creatures.

As Ethraeil spoke up not too far away, he caught some of the lich's words concerning Rosanna. Aleister couldn't sense her aura either. Or that damnable beast they had encountered back there either. Had they... both slain each other? It was possible that they were too far away and he simply could sense them. Perhaps Rosanna had led the creature on a chase in the opposite direction. That seemed more reasonable to him... or so he hoped.

River Delta - TURN 3
Theodore = 6. Does 6 + 1 DMG (Man of Science) to Zombie #5, #7, #9. Zombie #5, #7, #9 Dead.
Camille = 6 + 1 (Infallible Focus. 7.) Does 1 DMG to Zombie #10. Zombie #10 HP = 2
Mariette = 7. Does 1 DMG to Zombie #10. Zombie #10 HP = 1
Galina = 9. Does 1 DMG to Zombie #10.

Aleister = 6. Does 1 DMG to Zombie #10. Zombie #10 Very Dead.
Theodore's bomb landed right in the middle of a cluster of three zombies, with the friendlies around quickly moving out of the way before the detonation. The zombies were ripped apart by the blast, sending limbs and pieces in all directions. Then there was just one zombie left. At least in the immediate vicinity. Camille and Mariette pounced on the demon, with Camille stabbing it several times with her rapier while Mariette viciously ripped its arms off just like the other zombie. Galina and Aleister then opened fire on it, Galina hitting the creature with several bolts while Aleister put three rounds from his revolver into the creature's head. Soon enough, it fell over dead. The good kind of dead.

As they put down the last zombie, there were more noises behind them. Some more zombies were emerging out of the river behind them, as well as two more of those abominations. They needed to leave quickly, or risk getting swarmed. "It looks like we're going further into the delta. Quickly. Mount up and get moving." said Valeria aloud, holstering her revolver and looking back to the others. "Rosanna can take care of herself. She knows where we're supposed to be going. We'll see her there." she said.

She turned back about, also holstering her sawed off before grabbing the reins and giving them a flick. The horse started quickly down the riverbank, moving further south into the Delta.

Having torn the last of the zombies down with the help of the others, Mariette was expecting Valeria to at least consider turning back for Rosanna, but the Senior Inquisitor seemed certain that the dullahan could handle anything the enemy could throw at them. However, considering this was possibly a trap from the very beginning, Mariette began to feel a bit sick to her stomach, remembering what had happened to Wesley when she was too busy helping Galina. As more zombies began to appear, that anxiety turned once again into barely-contained fury. Just how many people did those bastards kill just for the show of it!? Mariette thought as she ran alongside the carriage before leaping up to the seat and setting herself down on the bench. This was definitely a trap. Gods, I hope Rosanna fights her way out of it.

She silently prepped her pistol just in case something truly awful emerged from the wilderness. That is, worse than what they had already been fighting.

Ethraeil knew that it was time to leave, yet he hesitated ever so slightly on the notion that they would be leaving Rosanna. It was worrying that he could feel nothing from the dullahan, but those worries would have to wait. Ethraeil's reanimated horse strode quickly next to him as he wordlessly commanded it to approach nearby before he mounted it and followed the Inquiry at top speed. "This whole delta is a trap, we must find a way out quickly." Ethraeil remarked as he looked at the large horde beginning to converge upon them. Whoever was responsible for this was indeed a powerful necromancer.

The group traveled deep into the river delta, moving away from the abandoned village of Oar's Rest as well as the zombified horde that had risen to hunt them from the depths of the rivers. As they were on horseback or carriage, they were able to put plenty of distance between them and the horde, eventually stopping several miles from the village. The fog had partially lifted, revealing what one would expect of a river delta. Rivers, wetlands, a few small dense splotches of trees. And the sounds of crickets and frogs which had been missing from the area around the village. The zombies and abominations were far behind, their groans and moans long gone.

Valeria drew out her compass, lighting a match to see the direction that the needle was pointing. She shifted about, pointing the horse in the direction of the next town. "Grimsby is that way." she said, pointing ahead before putting her compass away. "We can either rest here for the night, or we can push on through the night and try to reach the town before dawn. Hopefully it's in a better state than Oar's Rest or Porthcrawl..." She then took the time to reload her weapons, breaking open her revolver and removing the spent rounds before replacing them. She did the same with her sawed-off, offering a glace to the others. "...You saw Rosanna back at the mansion...I'm sure she can handle herself, even against one of her own kind. She probably just lured him away from us...and she'll meet back up with us in Grimsby. If not there, then Cullfield or Peltragow."

Sergey listened to Valerie explain their situation and he didn't like it one bit. No garuntee that Grimsby was safe...but better than chancing it out here. "We should go back towards some hope of civilization. We need to recruit any help we can get, or at least rest in the comfort and safety of a town. I seriously don't want us staying out here another night we barely escaped back there."

Mariette considered the options. Moving on at this point meant putting even more distance between themselves and where they had last seen Rose, but assuming she broke free of the enemy's trap, the group wouldn't want to make camp in the woods because she would probably push onward to Grimsby and overtake the group while they slept, since the dullahan had no need for sleep. But therein lay the problem- what if Rose was captured? Mariette didn't want to think about it. She also imagined that getting to Grimsby before the enemy would be important for the sake of the people there. Necromancy was a line Mariette would never cross with her dark magics, and the more of it she witnessed in Grimtham, the more it disgusted her. Yet again she imagined Theodore's suggestion and balled her fists. There was no way she would allow what Theodore suggested to happen to any innocent soul if she could help it.

"I say we keep moving," she agreed with Sergey, rather coldly. She then replied directly to Valeria's earlier comment. "If we get there fast enough, we won't need to hope for anything. We'll protect it ourselves."

Aleister maintained his spot, seated on the roof of the carriage and holding on tightly as they raced through the landscape. He kept his eyes on the horizon and the murky waters around them. It wouldn't do for them to be ambushed again, not while traveling at speed. Thankfully, it seemed that they had escaped the worst of undead for now.

"It would be most wise to continue our advance into a settlement, as the doctor and Countess say. If the need arises to protect the village, we will do so. It would be rather... regrettable to find the area overrun because we chose to camp out here in this... splendid... countryside," he said with an exasperated wave of his hand, signifying the clearly not-so-splendid landscape that made up these wetlands. "And if Rosanna is to meet us there, all the better. I think she is... alright. We'll see here there. And if not, then I'm certain she has a good reason for not being in the village. All we can rely on during these trying times is faith - in the gods and the strength of our allies."

Sergey couldn't help but snicker and snort at Aliester's addition. "Yea sure, the God's must truuuueeelllyyy be in our favor. Sending all this shit against us. Such merciful gods turning innocent people into fucking monsters. Spare the bullshit please." Sergey was a little too agrivated with the situation to retain his filter and almost regretted what he said as soon as it left his lips.

Valeria quickly looked to Sergey. "The creatures that we have encountered were not made by gods, Sergey." she said, bluntly. "None of them. Do not blame the gods for something crafted by the evils of man and demon." Her gaze was locked onto Sergey nearby, anger in her voice. Once she finished, she looked back to the others. "Its settled, then. We keep moving. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious. We should reach Grimsby before morning." she stated finally, before flicking the reigns and proceeding on towards a nearby patch of woods.

As the group proceeded on, the already faint fog slowly lifted, increasing the visibility of those less supernaturally enhanced among the group. Little was said during the ride. It was quite obvious why. They were all on edge. The whole ordeal was getting to each of them and it showed. None of them had had a proper rest, or a good meal (save for the vampires of the group, who simply needed to scarf down some blood.) The night dragged on slowly, as they emerged from the edge of the river delta into dark forests.

As they moved, some of them felt as if they were being watched. And they were. Dryads. They were far less worried about these than they had been before, when the group had been traveling to Tresomin. These Dryads were simply ignored, and posed no threat to the group unless one of them got the bright idea of cutting down one of the trees.

Eventually, they came over a hill to the southeast of Grimsby and saw the city. This one was a proper city, much like Porthcrawl, and actually seemed to have activity going on in it. Thankfully. "Lets head on into the city and get some food and rest. Keep an eye out for Rosanna, alright?" asked Valeria, glancing back to the group. It was just before the crack of dawn, so most of its citizens seemed to be getting ready to begin their day.

As they reached the city, they found the streets to be quite thin. It was as if all the buildings had been squished together against the road. This reminded a few in the group of the streets in typical northern Atracan cities down south, unlike Porthcrawl with its wider streets like the cities in deep southern Atraca. They arrived at an inn after a few minutes of travel, parking their carriage just outside and dismounting their horses. Valeria glanced up at the sign above them, hanging over the carriage's roof. Scarlet Rivers Inn. She raised an eyebrow, but shrugged before glancing to the others.

"It would be best to lay low for some time. We don't know if the Duke or any of his lackeys have eyes and ears around here." Ethraeil said as he looked around before commanding his corpse-horse to run out of the city, away from public view. He didn't want his steed attracting any unwanted attention towards the Inquiry while they stayed at the inn. "Rent a few rooms under aliases or false names, perhaps?"

Aleister gazed upon Sergey with a hooded look, and was about to launch into a sharp rebuttal, but the Inquisitor was quicker on the draw than he. The priest was rather happy that Valeria's words were nearly identical to what he was going to say, and he was glad to know that the inquisitor also maintained a good outlook on her theology and faith. It was certainly more than could be said of some others. When the inquisitor was finished speaking, he gave a simple nod and, "Well said."

Upon arriving in Grimsby, it was pleasant to find that the city was alive and well. The mindless undead did not stalk these streets, which was as it should be. And since it was a rather sizable city, Aleister couldn't help but wonder what the state of the refined undead was like. It was only polite that visiting members of the midnight society would meet with their local compatriots. It was their territory, after all. More than a few sparks had flown in the past over cultural feeding habits when visitors miss-stepped in the territory of an established group of vampires. He had mitigated a few disputes himself, and, more embarrassingly, made a few mistakes as well in his early days. Most groups were rather understanding and not particularly strict in their rules and customs - others were downright draconian. And most of all, it was simple common courtesy.

"Indeed, laying low for a day or so to catch our breath would be wise. And I think we need to develop our plans a little more and figure out what our next move is. If we're simply running around in response to our foe, then we dance to their tune, not ours," Aleister nodded to Ethraeil. "And I believe aliases would be a good idea, too."

As things got settled, Aleister sought out Valeria for a moment. "Inquisitor, dear, I thought it would be prudent to inform you that I'll be out in search of... nourishment to replenish my vials. I'm running low after all our recent excitement, and I don't intend to be caught empty, even in an emergency. A city of this size should have plenty of livestock around - sheep and lamb, in particular, of course. And do you happen to know how long we may remain here?"

Regrettably, he was in town on business, but if he could find a promising artist or charming young man or woman... perhaps he could treat himself. It wasn't a priority, but if he had the time and the opportunity arose, he wouldn't be one to decline.

Most importantly, though, would be the question of how long they would be in town. If it would be any notable length of time, he and the Countess should almost undoubtedly connect with the local vampires, if there was any established society here.

Mariette dropped down from the elevated seat feeling a little lightheaded. "I'll pay," she droned, joylessly. Having been up all night, she was beginning to feel very weary as the sun crept into the sky. Her personal feelings toward the inquiry were still heavily intertwined with the events of the previous few days, and she was fairly convinced that it was in her best interest to strike out on her own, following a day at the inn. She hoped that she would at least get to see Rosanna later at some point, just to know the woman was okay before the Countess departed. For now, she entered the inn, fished some of the gold coins out of her pocket, and paid for everyone's rooms with the promise to increase the payment should the clerk help protect the group's privacy.

She staggered on to her bed. Once she had reached it, she dropped onto its plush surface and tried not to think of the faces of those zombies or imagine who they had once been. Instead, she tried to think of what she would do if she could return home in a blink of an eye, and quickly drifted off to sleep. Her very last thoughts before dreams overtook her consciousness were filled with vengeance and glory.

Valeria glanced to Aleister as Mariette went inside the in. "We'll stay here for a few days. That way we can catch our breath, stock up on ammunition, and give Rosanna time to catch up with us." stated Valeria, with a nod. "Decide on your aliases quickly. I have one that I've used on a few occasions before. Victoria Wilson. Simple. Anyway, if you all get the chance, poke around and see if you can dig up any information. Odd sightings, happenings, and so on. I'm going to get settled in for now...I need a bath." A moment later, she headed into the inn and up to her room (that Mariette paid for apparently. She'd have to pay her back for that.)

Once in her room, she quickly had a bath drawn and slipped into it to soak. As she sank into the water, up to her chin in the cast iron tub, she finally let out a sigh. Finally, a chance to relax. At least, for a moment. Hot baths are great, aren't they? Good for the skin. Nice to see you taking care of my future vessel. Valeria's expression quickly turned to a frown. Can't you fucking leave me in peace for once? Alright, alright. I'll leave you be. For now. I have more important things to focus on. She sighed again, sinking lower till only her eyes were visible above the hot water.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh my sweet, lovely Countess! I need to speak with you, dear."

The words were faint, as if they had been whispered into her ear. Mariette's eyes opened slowly to find that she wasn't in her hotel room anymore. Instead, she was lying upon a far larger, lavishly adorned bed. The sheets were colored a lovely mixture of forest green and scarlet red, with matching pillows just at the top. She recognized it near instantly, as she had slept in it hundreds of times.

She sat up to, looking around the now far larger and more extravagant room. She was back home at her estate, in La Cygne. It was dark outside, the night sky visible through a large window across the room. Several candles had been lit around the room, providing a bit of light. Not that she needed it, of course. She was a vampire after all. As she looked about, she eventually noticed someone sitting near a bookshelf across from the bed in the corner of the room. And as her eyes locked onto the person, a pair of golden yellow orbs returned her gaze. The white haired figure smiled, before motioning over to the table next to them. Upon it, what appeared to be a bottle of wine, as well as two glasses. One was currently in use, partially filled with the bottle's contents.

"You have a very beautiful estate, Lady Desrosiers! I hope you don't mind. I helped myself to a bottle of your finest...I wanted to see what the big fuss was all about." commented the individual, shifting their sitting posture a bit before crossing their legs. As the light from a candle on the table wavered a bit, it revealed the individual's face for a brief moment.

Sazak.

Mariette's eyes widened as she recognized the demon sitting across from her, but for a moment she was silent as her mind raced to explain this encounter. It was suddenly quite obvious: this was a dream, although the vividness of it all was arresting. Sazak's presence was alarmingly palpable- this was a far more powerful variation of Mariette's favorite trick. Sazak weaved this dream himself to bring them both together.

But why?

Mariette swallowed nervously, although her throat was dry. "Bonsoir, monsieur," she croaked, "although I do believe I'm sleeping the day..." She remained still, sitting up in bed as she chose her words carefully. Sazak still frightened her, although not as much as before, now that Mariette had briefly experienced death. She had been courteous to Sazak before, in the woods, and it seemed like common sense to continue that strategy. "S-so you like it? The wine, I mean..." She sighed, "while I am flattered - I really am, now I've been told the same by a god and a demon alike - I suppose you want something else from me. And, of course I'm not foolish. I'll listen, s'il vous plaît."

"Oh, I'll get to that." said Sazak, lifting her glass up from the table and taking a sip. "...This really is delectable. Morgane has great taste, it seems...or should I say Undite?" She then reached over and poured some wine into the other glass, before taking it as well and standing. Sazak then strolled across the room, gently sitting down on the bed next to Mariette and offering the other glass to her. "By the way...this is as real as a dream can get. Like you were just thinking, it is a far more powerful variation of your favorite little trick. Everything you experience in here is exactly like the real thing." said Sazak, before grinning.

"For now...I just want to have a nice chat. You're one of the few that showed me really any of the proper respect that I'm due, and I thank you for that. People are far less civil these days than they used to be. Including your associates in the inquiry." she said, gazing down into the glass she held in her hand before taking another sip. "Judging from your memories, you've been the target of ire from several of them. Especially Lady Giguere in particular. She seems to have it out for you, and loves to berate you whenever she can." Sazak looked over to Mariette after a moment, the golden orbs of her eyes studying her face. "If she had been harassing me in such a manner, I would have...well, I shouldn't say such deviant things in front of a beautiful, sophisticated Countess such as yourself."

Camille eyed the crowded architecture of the city with a sneer, her mood terribly shot from the battle and the travel that followed. The marquess found no reason to be impressed with such a sprawling and cramped space. She knew that this was an island, but just how limited on space were the city planners? Even still the shoddy buildings of Grimsby were the least of the huntress' worries. To her things were consistently ending with failure, and while her resolve remained strong as ever she continued to chastise herself for her inadequacy. Perhaps the inquiry itself was making progress to their goal with the rather... prompt unearthing of an ancient and holy artifact, but whether they could challenge a vampire as strong as the duke was yet to be seen.

Despite how hard she threw herself at battle and training, it had become clear that she would always pale in comparison to the pureblood vampires. Unable to slow them down or combat them with conventional weapons, she was continually frustrated by the sheer gap in ability they and many other stronger undead possessed over her. Nothing but futility and frustration, but part of her knew that things would never be as easy as she expected it to be. While she deeply wanted to rely only on herself, it was increasingly obvious that the only reason she still lived was due to the intervention and assistance of the inquiry. Camille was by no means crestfallen from these revelations, but during the gloomy trip to the city she continued to say nothing, looking far more tired than the rest of the group.

As they funneled into the inn she walked in after Mariette had paid for all of their expenses, moving up to the desk clerk and dropping funds of her own. "I will pay for myself." she said incredibly flatly, shuffling off to her own room. Obviously Camille would not be accepting any handouts from the good countess now, even if she had in the past in the name of working with the group. If the vampire could get away with brazenly tearing down whatever unstable camaraderie the group had been trying to establish with her many quips and destructive outlooks, the marquess should naturally be able to silently scorn her in any way possible.

Arrangements were made to clean her gear and clothing soon after that, the huntress retiring to bathe and rest herself and the great unease rooted in her mind. Camille then laid on her bed, staring up at the ceiling and the recently sharpened and cleaned rapier she held aloft that blocked her view. Despite everything she would have to work on her technique further, confident that they would find victory against the inquiry's enemy in time. Yet the duke was the last thing the huntress was worried about. She worried of her home, and she worried of what would happen in her fight to keep it protected. Clenching her fist around the hilt of her sword tightly, she told herself to remain vigilant. The Countess would die by her hand, or she would die trying.

Last edited:
As she took hold of the glass, Mariette considered the fact that Sazak was not just in the room, but inside her mind and memories. The only option was to be utterly honest and forthcoming. Mariette took in a sip of her finest vintage and swished it around a bit, the familiar taste helping to keep her calm in the face of such a predicament. An odd thought crossed her mind, and involuntarily she smiled, informing Sazak, "you're perhaps the only one who knows exactly how much hatred that woman has awakened within me, and yet," she added with a stifled laugh, "that I really, honestly, didn't intend to harm her. But now that I've learned what they intended to do with me, what they wanted to do with my head... Oh how I welcome her to La Cygne. You are quite right in a way... Let monde could do with a dose of civility, but what am I to do in its absence except draw even? ...In a grand sense, vampires are due for a great vengeance, as we've been so, so wrongly insulted by humans like Giguere, but not the kind Duke Ashwood offers. I don't want to see humans made subservient, just humiliated."

Mariette took another leisurely sip. "If there were a kingdom for les gens de la nuit, my people, then I would make it an impregnable bastion. These humans, with all their fatal jealousy, would be unable to topple it, and would simply perish in their feeble winter years with nothing but their unanswered ambitions."

Mariette paused a moment. "I don't suppose my little vision has anything to do with this meeting?" She asked, her tone having relaxed considerably. It was almost as if Sazak's insight had turned the demon temporarily into an old friend.

"It does, along with a few other things. But like I said, we'll get to that." admitted Sazak. She took another sip of her wine. "I admire your restraint in not simply striking the Raven down. Or ridding her of that sharp tongue of hers. There are other humans just like her, of course. Commoners, members of the church, members of both Orders. Especially the Order of Velin. They would have attempted to kill you on sight." Sazak relaxed, turning a bit to face Mariette and tilting her head. "Humanity has been in need of a rude awakening for quite a long time, and few are more deserving to give them that wake-up call than vampires. The Duke's idea for humanity is less forgiving than yours, however."

Sazak glanced to the glass in her hand, as she swirled the wine around inside it. "...A member of the Order of Velin slew his wife and young daughter. They had been together for...oh...seventeen years? The knight learned that the Duke was a pureblood vampire after he encountered his dhampir daughter. Since the Order runs on the ideals put forth by Velin all those years ago...the daughter was beheaded, as was the human wife for choosing to willingly lay with a vampire. The Duke learned of what happened, hunted down the knight, and ripped his family apart before giving him the same treatment. He then settled on the idea that humanity needed to be punished as a whole."

"Over the course of two hundred years, the Duke developed his plan. He learned of the Ring of Adona...the very ring that turned you into the being you are now. The ring grants its wearer true immortality, and allows them to change things as Adona would. It even allows for the alteration of life, death, and time, though the Duke hasn't learned to fully use the ring." When Sazak finished with her explanation, she looked to Mariette. "The only weapon that can kill the Duke now is that sword that young Witlock now possesses. As she's explained, of course."

Sazak leaned a little closer to Mariette, a simple smile adorning her face. "...And guess who gave her the information on how to obtain such a weapon?" She then paused for a moment, to take a sip from her glass again. "...She and I made a deal. I'd give her the information on the sword so that she could obtain it and slay the Duke with it. I'll also grant her the know-how to use such a large weapon, as she clearly doesn't know how. In exchange...I take her body as my new vessel." Sazak tilted her had again. "Of course, she tacked on a stipulation for that. I can't harm anyone in the inquiry after I possess her. Which is fine with me, honestly."

Sazak then looked back to Mariette once again. "...And now we arrive at why I've come to you. My sweet, beautiful Countess...and future Queen."

Last edited:
Ethraeil took the liberty to take residence in the lonesome attic upstairs as to not draw attention from the public eye. He also wanted to ponder a few things by his lonesome as he stared out of a small, circular window onto the streets below. He stayed deathly still as his mind raced about a multitude of things, most notably the re-introduction of Sazak into the mix. He had hoped that the wretched demon would last be seen when they encountered him in the woods, chained up. But now that Valeria had made a deal with him... it made things much more complicated for him and perhaps the rest of the Inquiry. He knew this demon all too well, and he knew that Sazak was planning something from behind the scenes. He wouldn't willingly give this information up just for a vessel... no, something else is at play. And only Sazak will reap the rewards from it in the end to the suffering of anyone in his sights.

He took a moment to take his phylactery out of his own form and look into it deeply. The culmination of all his guilt, anger, despair, and loss ingrained into one necklace. The one thing that still kept him attached to this world, both physically and spiritually. His family, his friends, his connections. Elise, Gabriel, Ivar, Tristyn, Auriel, Venextos... all taken by the ravages of this cruel, unrelenting, and hopeless world. There was only one thing he had left to fight for... to continue trudging along in his pained existence. Vengeance. Ethraeil gripped the necklace tightly, lowering his visage to the ground as he felt the anger rise within him. Sazak and Taranoch will pay for what they did. It's not a question of if... but when, in his eyes. With his newfound freedom, he was no longer bound to the chains of the Church and he could finally walk the path of vengeance that was wrongfully taken from him so many centuries ago.

But still, he had a promise to keep. A promise he made to Valeria, and above all else Ethraeil did not consider himself to be an oathbreaker. The Duke will die first, to end his machinations and prevent his terrible vision for the world to come true. And afterwards... hell will freeze over.

Mariette listened carefully as Sazak explained the terrible secret Valeria was keeping from the rest of the Inquisitors, sensing an ulterior motive to the demon's words. Why would Sazak admire Mariette's restraint? Weren't demons impulsive and violent fiends? Mariette knew Sazak was aware of her presumptions and that there was no point in suppressing her doubts. Why also reveal Ashwood's story? Was it merely meant to rile her further? Finally, of all things, why did Sazak want Valeria's body in the first place?

Then, she decided, It doesn't really matter, now does it? The deal is done. Valeria hadn't told anyone, and after feeling that the Senior Inquisitor was one of the few she could trust, Mariette felt a cold sting of betrayal. The revelation came so quickly that Mariette had almost ignored Sazak's next ploy. ...Queen?

"My dream somehow fits into your agenda, non? That worries me, if I do say so myself... For all I know, you led the Duke to Adona's ring in the first place. Maybe I'm just another pawn in the scheme, like the Duke, or Valeria, and you'll find someone else to kill me later. Or maybe I don't know of what I speak of." Mariette gave a mischievious smile. "You must realize that I could achieve my goal without... help, whatever that entails. But out of curiosity, what do you intend?"

Mariette felt a chill run through herself, a deeper fear of her own dark heart awakened from it's sleep of temperance. Undite herself had tried to warn her against temptation, and she had dabbled in it nonetheless in her quest to become a pureblood. He already questionable loyalty became a joke to half the inquisitors, and their contempt drove her to vicious scorn of her own. One thing was now leading to another, like dominos falling, and now she was entertaining a demon's ambitions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back