• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Frontier] Golden Path

Mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle @Ian Temero saxon saxon conman2163 conman2163 SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy upscalerat upscalerat NimbusWing NimbusWing
OOC: Some last minute posting but we are all in. Great job. Let's see how the marketplace treats the party.
Time: 9:30am
Weather: clear blue skies with the occasional lazy white puff. cool, comfortable temperatures for the morning.
Cooldown:
TLDR: Michael promised to aid Squink. Michael asks Annabelle for help with choosing what to bring. He informs Kyra of the relative remoteness of the direction they are headed. Cluilia and Retili succeed in changing a trader's mind. Michael heads to the odd bathhouse shop.
Post Listening:

Merchant Village of Dawn Island

1693112820880-png.1110859

1692320659725-png.1109099
In a quiet spot among the bustling shops, the distinct aroma of fresh wood wafted from a shop lined with wooden crafts and hunting supplies. Delicately carved wooden animals rested alongside finely crafted bows, each item telling a story of craftsmanship and tradition. The shop's façade adorned with intricate carvings of mythical creatures and forest scenes. Each wooden piece, whether a tiny figurine of a plump, fluffy, friendly creature or an ornately crafted walking stick, told tales of ancient folklore and nature's whisperings. Behind the counter, a wizened old man with deep-set eyes and a gentle demeanor worked meticulously on a new carving. His hands, though gnarled with age, moved with precision and grace, his connection to the wood evident in every stroke. The warm glow from the morning sun lit the shop in a golden hue, making the wooden treasures gleam as if imbued with life, and filling the air with the comforting aroma of fresh cedar and pine.

Michael approached, his figure casting a gentle shadow over the wooden displays. His eyes skimmed the items, yet his thoughts were elsewhere. "Squink," he began, a touch of determination in his voice, "if it's necessary, I'll use my standing among the sun worshippers to help us get what we need for the journey." His pledge hung in the air, promising support in response to her concerns.

The soft rustling of robes drew Michael's attention to Annabelle, her glasses glinting in the sunlight. With a sheepish grin, he confessed, "You know, most of my travels have been... rustic. I've never really had the luxury of taking much beyond basic rations, water, and a tent. If we're to bring anything more, I'll need to rely on your guidance."

Michael noted Kyra's questions and leaned over, sharing in hushed tones, "We're in one of the easternmost settlements of Ryke. It's a stretch of land ahead, and we won't find proper towns until we've navigated through the hill country. However, it shouldn't be too difficult getting one of the wagons or Sun Worshippers to help in carrying supplies."

Elsewhere, the sounds of haggling reached a fevered pitch. The sun priest was locked in negotiations with a shrewd trader, the air thick with tension. But it was Cluilia and Retili who, with a potent combination of charm and veiled threats, managed to tilt the scales in the priest's favor. With a reluctant grimace, the trader offered a fairer exchange, eyeing the two powerhouses warily, silently praying they would leave him to his business.

A peculiar scent, reminiscent of warm steam and fragrant oils, caught Michael's attention. Drawn away from the wooden crafts, he found himself outside a bathhouse-looking shop. The intricate tiles, painted with images of majestic cranes and cherry blossoms, hinted at a place of relaxation and luxury. Curiosity piqued, Michael decided to explore what the unique establishment had to offer.

As Michael approached the bathhouse-esque stall, the ethereal lights in the jars began to pulsate gently, as if sensing a presence intertwined with magic. The creatures, drawn to the aura emanating from Michael, fluttered closer, their curious gazes fixed upon him. Some of the more familiar beings nuzzled his hand or spiraled playfully around him, while others hung back, studying him from a distance. The old woman, who had seen countless souls pass through her space, looked up and, for a brief moment, a hint of surprise flitted across her kind face. With the subtle shifting of her age-worn hands, the ambiance of the stall seemed to morph, becoming a touch warmer and more welcoming. Her twinkling eyes locked onto Michael's, and she offered a smile that seemed to carry the weight of a thousand untold tales.

Through the scene, a serene breeze flowed, capturing the essence of life in the marketplace—a blend of human spirit, dreams, and the ever-present dance of negotiation and trust.

ideados.png
Squink
Character Theme - Deference for Darkness

TL; DR: Squink overly worries about Michael interaction, talks with Oden and drinks tea and calms her silly squink self and asks questions.

Squink heard the words of Michael speak to her in comfort and support, somewhat overtaken by the tone in his voice unsure how to feel about it. He seemd a kind and respectable person on all means, but he was clearly very well-known and capable as to whereas she still wasn't entirely confident on how willing he was to speak with her despite the resolution he gave to make sure things would go okay for them. She was reaching a small point of not realising she may have been overthinking things, but potentially concerned by the idea that he was only trying to get her to hush about her nervous woes of the situation. Squink didn't think badly of him in any way, but her paranoid self was just worried that in her own doubt and expression she was making her own difficulties more of a chore for Michael to deal with rather than anything that could be considered nicer.

Sighing and trying to mumble to herself that things were fine and would be okay, Squink tried to push such negative conceptions out of her mind so she could be positive at least before they had set off. She didn't have any other topic or reason to talk to Michael, so hopefully he would have his own will to strike conversation with her later or she would have a reason to start conversation with him again rather than just becoming awkward and questionably awestruck in his presence. He had went away to see to some of the others that they would be travelling with, which would give Squink some time to try and get over her preconceived pessimism.

Besides, while Michael was busy she would have the company of Oden to keep her distracted from such thoughts. She hesitated over the avian beastkin offering to pay in her stead, nervously quivering tentacles in a moment of unknowingness.
"I-it's fine if you don't want to, I don't want to take anything out of your own pocket only out of your pity for myself... " she spoke softly, her mind and gaze not focused much on the developed and colourful surroundings of the marketplace as she was too clouded in her own thoughts to pick up on the beauty in the sights. Following Oden to a stall for tea as they had paid for her despite her concern, Squink thought how she couldn't just deny the offer now that they had already went through with it. Gently clasping the cup as she noticed Oden make nothing of making purchase for her, Squink hesitated at the impracticality of it as she raised the cup up to underneath where her tentacles were to the circular mouth hidden underneath her face. Clearly, it was not made with an ilithid in mind, but it was good enough and will have to do. It tasted nice nonetheless.

She sighed softly at Oden's reassurance as they told her of her needless frets, taking a sip as she briefly thought on the matter before speaking.
"I... understand that. I-I just feel a little like I don't understand what I'm getting into. It's hard to be confident over things when seeing everyone else has much more of a plan and reason than I do. I'm just rather nervous I'm not gonna fit in here, or mess things up... " Squink softly responded as she absentmindedly looked to the tea in her hands.
"I'm maybe just a little concerned hoping nothing bad will come of this. This probably feels like everyday to everyone else. I was just maybe hoping that making some new friends or hearing from some people before and while we left off to go there would help settle these thoughts. I guess I'm just being a little silly-minded" Squink said as she tried to calm her nerves, a little short giggle as she tapped her head twice with her fist to try and play off her negative thoughts as simply fearful nonsense and to try and change her thoughts.

Giving a facial expression that was the closest to a cheerful smile that her cephalopod face could bear, she chose to raise a different question since her ask about past tales and experiences had went unanswered.
"Can you tell me a little about anyone else here if you've met them, or maybe a bit about where you've came from or where you've been? Sorry if, those sudden questions seem a bit weird or nosy... " Squink asked, not wanting to sound like she was trying to pry too much into the lives of others.

Mentions: Michael Novama Novama (Paragraphs 1+2)
Interactions: Oden SilverFeathers SilverFeathers (Paragraphs 3 Onwards)

Character Sheet

Last edited:
AnnabelleCharacterFaceclaim.jpgAnnabelle Thistlehart
TLDR: Annabelle finishes off her interaction with Jareth, (by Clyvelle Clyvelle ) and Kyra (by upscalerat upscalerat ), before being asked to shop for comfortable and useful travel items by Michael (by Novama Novama ). Such a goal leads the maid into meeting the merchant Cluilia (by saxon saxon ) for the first time, of which Annabelle tries to strike conversation.

- - -

Upon Jareth's interest towards the maid, Annabelle couldn't help but to feel a little out of her element. Compliments and praise from superiors were one thing, especially if they were the result of a job well done and a squeaky clean floor. But a situation such as this was not what Annabelle was used to. She was not praised for her duties - if anything, she had yet to do anything of remote value, or so she had thought - and yet here she was, standing in front of an equal in Jareth with a bashful expression across her face as she struggled to notice what the sandman was actually doing with her pair of glasses. Being virtually near-sighted without her trusty eye accessories definitely put a hamper on that.

"I... well... I can imagine it would be another maid-for-hire that would be struggling with their sight. They'd have a similar pair to my own, maybe with a few adjustments to the lens here and there but otherwise..." The point Jareth tried to make whistled past Annabelle as she poorly attempted to weave past the compliment. It's not like she could have walked away either. It'd be simply impolite, not to mention she wouldn't know where to go if she couldn't see anything... "... It wouldn't be that immaculate. It's just to help me see, isn't it...? Nothing more, nothing less."

Looking thankful and relieved as her glasses were finally returned to their rightful owner, the maid couldn't help but to look as if she was relaxing from the previous encounter as she witnessed both Kyra and Jareth's deeper delving into the market stalls. Just about ready to do it herself, it was at that moment she was greeted by the man of whom she was hired to care for - Michael - relaxation in her face turning into a serious and alert expression.

"Ah, yes! I apologize, Michael, I was..." She raised a finger as if she was ready to come up with an excuse, before she lowered it with a sigh. No excuses, no talking back, no complaints. She was here to work. "I cannot lie, I was distracted by two newfound friends. Aimless chatter shouldn't be what I set out to do here." Immediately shutting herself up afterwards and not even daring to verbally reply to Michael's calm requests, all that Annabelle would do was to bow and nod as she shamefully set off to do some shopping.

With Michael's goals now set within her mind, Annabelle made it her upmost priority to fulfill just what he wanted; to improve the living and travelling conditions of the group without daring the break the group's potential budget. Using what funding she personally had for this adventure, her search throughout the marketplace led Annabelle to see if she could find anything along the topic of survival and travelling goods. Tinderboxes, travel packs, dry kindling, well-preserved food, waterskins, anything on the mental list that she had created and much more, all in order for the maid to do her duty for Michael, and in turn the party she was to accompany.

It was of course, at that moment that Annabelle reached a sudden epiphany. She had recalled a woman known of her field and expertise in trade introducing themselves to help the group out. One with fiery red hair and clear confidence to her style and stride. Who she thought would be the perfect woman to give Annabelle a few pointers here and there on where she could find a great deal, or even two!

While far more modest in appearance, Annabelle soon made her way up to Cluilia, clearing her throat gently and with a softer 'Excuse me.' coming from her own voice. "I hate to waste your time, Miss Calogera, was it? But I am requested by Michael so that I can aid him with making our living situation during our travels a lot easier for all of us. I'm currently in search of tools and objects that could potentially be of use and convenience during our travel, be it food, portable bedding and the like. If you don't have anything that you could sell that could be of use, would you perhaps know a thing or two about the Market and of any stalls that could match what I'm searching for?"

Oden (#ACA9A7)

8d491482b176d554d15e03d22091dab0.jpg
Character Sheet
Femboy Femboy Novama Novama (last paragraph)

TLDR: Oden comforted and talked about herself with Squink at the tea stall, then wandered towards the stall of wooden crafts and spoke to its owner.​
"There's nothing wrong with helping others, nor accepting others' help." Oden smiled gently, zoning in on Squink's earlier mention of monetary pity. Did she pity Squink? Perhaps. But that didn't make her intentions to comfort and uplift her any less genuine.

Noticing the illithid accepting and enjoying the tea, the owl smiled, before quietly listening to her continue. "That's understandable, seeing people strive so determinedly towards their ambitions can easily make one feel envious, or lost." She began gently, similarly looking to the little ceramic tea cup in her hand. Although she did not express it explicitly, Oden truly resonated with that aspect of Squink's fears. After losing the single ambition she had worked for all her life, she had felt that listlessness all too clearly.

Fortunately, Squink continued to speak and express her worries, diverting her attention from that line of thought. "I'm sure we'll be fine. We have the blue hero with us after all." Oden chuckled as she spoke, amused by the ilithid's little self-comforting antics. She was well aware of how Squink seemed to look up to or rely on Michael's presence, hence she hoped mentioning him would be a bit of an added comfort.

Her insistence on a story to listen to was amusing. Perhaps storytelling had been a primary source of comfort for her in the past? Either way, now that she had settled down a little, Oden felt she could dredge up the tale of her origins. Gently swishing the tea leaves in her cup, she started by addressing her worries. "Don't worry, it's only logical to be curious about a traveller you just met." She comforted reassuringly. "Unfortunately, I also don't know anyone here. I'm just as much as a random addition as you are." She smiled as she addressed her first question, assuming Squink was the same as herself in that regard.

"I come from Kuridan, or the Republic." She began carefully, pondering what to say as she slowly finished her tea. "The culture is quite different from here, if you've never been. Strength and combat prowess matters a lot." She explained vaguely, comparing it to what she had seen of Ryke.

"My clan of origin over there, the Aritomo Clan of White Owls, has fallen, so there isn't much to say in that regard. I suppose I'm technically homeless right now... But I have family in another clan, so I should be alright." She chuckled, looking forward to her reunion with her little nephew at least. "At the moment, I'm just touring Ryke, or at least I was before I was summoned here. Visited an underground ratkin civilization not too long ago..." She somewhat paused as she thought of that memory, disturbed by the flashbacks she received, but she recovered soon enough. "Haven't had the chance to visit Ryken, the capital, just yet. But perhaps on the way back from the Eastern Empire I'll pay it a visit." Oden smiled as she finished off her little ramblings. She was tempted to end her speech by returning the question to the ilithid, but perhaps not wanting to stress her out, she held her tongue and simply trailed off.
---
It didn't take much walking around to locate a shop that suited Oden's needs. Rather, it overwhelmed her expectations. With careful hands, she cradled and studied each wooden treasure that caught her eye almost as if bewitched, both trying to gleam any craftsmanship insights as well as purely to appreciate them. Finally, she turned to the crafter, docilely watching him for a few moments before speaking up. "Your craftsmanship is exquisite. Would you be willing to spare a moment to point out any improvements that could be made on my bow? If not, I completely understand." She spoke with the deference a pupil would have towards a master, eager but not demanding of the possible opportunity to learn a thing or two. Retrieving the inconspicuous bow from her back, she offered it cautiously towards the older human.

Cluilia Calogera.png
Cluilia Calogera

E Grade Character

Titles: Human, Merchant, Dealer

mentions: Novama Novama @Ian Temero conman2163 conman2163 SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy

Abillities/cooldown

As Retili introduced himself she couldn't help but ponder the possibilities that could be had with making a friend out of the man. While she knew that slaves were illegal in Ryke, that didn't mean she couldn't sell other things here. "Exotic goods are my game, I do sell other things but mainly the exotic types," Cluilia chuckled as she continued along her path. "An advisor now that is interesting, I can't say that I met an advisor of that barony before," she admitted with a simple shrug of her shoulders.

Cluilia kept her gaze on the merchant who seemed to be giving the priests a hard time. Though while she didn't really are all that much about the matter at hand, it was interfering with her possibility of making money. As she saw it, refugees entering a new land would need money and food over their heads. Which she could provide to them if they signed the contracts, which would be perfectly legal upon crossing the border into the Empire. As Retili spoke up and joined her it seemed to be the final piece, and eventually, the merchant relented.

"We seem to make a good team when it comes to negotiations, thank you for the help." Cluilia thanked Retili as she was about to continue speaking when a new voice was heard. When she turned around to see the maid from earlier and she was asking her a question. "I brought to only the supplies that me and my guards could use, though I'm sure we could find what we need here. The market itself seems to be fairly well stocked," Cluilia replied with a nod of her head as she scanned the surrounding area. "How much will you need to buy?" She inquired before looking back down at the maid.

TLDR: Cluilia seeks to create a relationship with Retili for better or worse. She also talks to Anabelle about fulfilling the request Michael had given her.

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet Novama Novama Clyvelle Clyvelle SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy upscalerat upscalerat saxon saxon NimbusWing NimbusWing

tldr; Retili stays quiet for the most part after his intervention with the merchant. He briefly speculates on how lucrative being a professional maid is.

The merchant folded quicker then expected. Then again, Retili reflected, it was probably unwise to cause trouble with someone who had fifty armed soldiers trailing them around obediently. So perhaps it wasn't such a strange thing that the merchant had relented after all. The Zentox bowed his head and acknowledged the compliment from the merchant woman. "It was a simple matter. Besides, there is a vested interest for me if these people make it to the border alive and in good condition. If they turned to bandits on the way there it could be troublesome to say the least. Better to let them buy their provisions at standard price and get out of the country as quickly as possible." As he looked around the market his attention was pulled back by the maid who had spoken earlier. He wondered what sort of pay she was getting for her own contract, and if it included the price of provisions in it. If not she could be down some coin for the travel ahead. Then again he doubted such contracts weren't lucrative otherwise people wouldn't be professional maids.

• Caelia Savant D - Law E, Warfare E, Business F, Academia F, Area Knowledge [Caelia Baron] F - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - Retili uses his comprehensive knowledge built up through years of study to overcome issues that smooth talking might not otherwise be capable of.
  • Charismatic Scribe D - Insight D, Perception E, Empathy E, Persuasion D - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - Using his quick wit and fast mind, Retili talks his way around and through problems that he encounters.
  • Noble Bearing D - Etiquette E, Law E, Academia F, Persuasion D, Empathy E, Perception E, Insight D, Business F - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - After some time spent in study, on the road, and in the court of nobles Retili has learned the way and bearing required to be at least adequate in the many skills expected of nobility. [On cooldown, 1 post]

4ebac37663d611592955aa3866ea5df0.jpg

Jareth Fletcher
| Human | Eyeglass Adept | Ryken Adventurer E | Sandman | Comrade | Sun-Kissed |
Sandman - character's body is made of sand. Is likely to leave sand behind wherever they go. Has an easier time staying together in moist environments and less windy days. Even when solid, can give off the impression they may blow away at any moment.
Comrade - character has proved themselves to be a good ally and approachable. Character will have easier time convincing others to team up with their cause or to allow him to join theirs. More likely to join a cause that isn't worth joining too, however.
Sun-Kissed - character has a new found fascination with the Leilosis faith. Will suffer in social situations with those that despise the followers of the Sun God. Will excel in social situations with Sun God followers.

TL/DR - Jareth wanders the marketplace, realizing that he didn't need anything being offered. His wandering eventually leads him to the tea stall that Oden and Squink are at. He approaches and awkwardly tries to buy some tea but realizes he has no money.

Annabelle was pulled away by her duty. Kyra seemed to be getting along alright. Jareth stood "alone" in the marketplace. Glancing around, he could see the others that Michael had welcomed into their party. The people were many but connections were few. Singular even. Michael was the only one that mattered here.

Speaking of, Jareth did not see his friend presently. He was literally just here. How do you lose a glowing BLUE man? Leaving Kyra's location, Jareth started wandering the marketplace in search of Michael. His eyes passed along the stalls as he went, but his gaze stared through the trinkets, food, and drink. To someone like Kyra or Annabelle, these rations and equipment meant life and safety. What did Jareth need...?

A glint shone in his eyes from somewhere nearby. Squinting at the bright spot, Jareth could make out the familiar reflective garb of one of the monks approaching a tea stall. The beastkin were also there chatting. A feeling tugged at Jareth. His hand absently rubbed his abdomen as his stare lingered a moment. Suddenly, he found himself moving towards the tea stall.

Jareth briefly considered approaching the beastkin directly, but his awkwardness kicked in at the last moment as he abruptly turned to place an order. Tea. Tea... Tea? Leaf water. Did Jareth even like tea? Probably wouldn't taste it now anyway.

"I, uh...don't know which to order..." He said to the owner while cupping a hand to the back of his head. "What do you suggest?"

Jareth patted his waist, looking for a coin pouch but remembered he hasn't had a ryke to his name since being abducted over a year ago. He looked at the vendor with a sheepish smile while shrugging. Money. That's one thing Jareth needs.

Actions: ---

Cooldowns: F (Ready), E (Ready), D (Ready), Regen in -- posts

Calculations: INT C (4) + Catalyst D (3) +
  • Vitality - A
  • Natural Armor (Heavy) C
  • Resistance [Physical] E
  • Regeneration D
  • Resilient [Fatigue (caused by hunger, thirst, lack of sleep); Suffocation] E

CODE BY SEROBLISS
Grade E | Human | Envoy of Ancient Dragon Crysanthara

As they started closer to the market, Jareth took Annabelle's glasses and inspected them, but not before he reflected on what she had said. Kyra thought about the maid's words as well: what of her life, what of her own story? It was hardly anything great so far, but... She had lived a life, in another world, and gotten another chance here. She had spoken with a dragon, and stumbled into a religious exodus. When she looked at it like that, it was hardly anything to sneeze at; it was already far more than she'd accomplished before being reborn.

"Right, thank you," she murmured to Jareth for the advice. She had some things already, but food and water, and perhaps sturdier clothes, would be in order. As she looked on all the colorful stalls, glinting from money and goods, another thought occurred to her: this was a magical world, and maybe they would have some magical way to filter water and make it potable? If there was ever a place to look, at the very least, it was here.

As she thought, Michael offered his own opinion: they'd be going through a hilly area before another town, but they'd likely be able to have the assistance of the folks they were escorting. "Oh- thank you," she responded, matching his hushed tone, but offered a smile. She was saved from having to rack her brain for further conversation, though, as he continued on and disappeared elsewhere in the market. Annabelle, too, took her leave with him, leaving Kyra and Jareth alone and in silence as they walked through the stalls.

She considered asking him more- such as if there was anything for making potable water, or of its ilk- but hesitated, not wanting to seem entirely new to this. Surely she could handle shopping just fine, no? So, half without realizing it, Kyra wandered away from Jareth and began perusing the merchants' wares. Ahead, she saw some of the others; the red haired woman, Cluilia, and Retili were with a priest, and it seemed that Annabelle had joined them. Oden and Squink were chatting as well.

Kyra pressed forward, stopping at one stall for an additional water skin and at another to fill her bags with long-lasting rations. Thinking back to what Jareth had suggested about hunting, she considered something that could help her in that regard- but ultimately decided against it. She had no experience hunting, and was more likely to get ripped off than to get anything useful. Someone else among the party would be more capable, she assumed; and besides, what would even be a good option among hills while they were on the move? No, dried meat and fruit and hardtack were better use of her coin.

With her pack heavier, the adventurer moved on, looking for equipment that might be more useful to her. A smell made itself distinct amidst the spices, wood, food, and perfumes; it smelled like a humid summer day and scented candles on the porch- and led Kyra to a beautiful building that she was sure must have been a bath house. But no, it was a stall, and clearly unlike the ones around it. Kyra could see Michael standing there, examining what the seller had to offer.

She found herself too curious to walk away, and approached herself. The lights in the jars pulled towards Michael, and the vendor looked like a kind grandmother. Kyra offered the woman a shy smile before she looked at the oddities in the stall, trying to make sense of what most of the strange things were.

TL: DR; Kyra leaves Jareth and approaches the bathhouse shop after Michael Novama Novama

Mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle @Ian Temero saxon saxon conman2163 conman2163 SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy upscalerat upscalerat NimbusWing NimbusWing
OOC: We didn't all make it this time. Do try to communicate more with each other when possible. No point waiting on someone to post that is waiting on you or someone else to post first. The marketplace scene can last as long as necessary but we can also end it with this round. Let me know what you want: to move on or to cover a few more details.
Time: 10:00am
Weather: clear blue skies with the occasional lazy white puff. cool, comfortable temperatures for the morning.
Cooldown:
TLDR: Oden and wood vendor look over the bow together. Jareth is treated to special tea by the tea merchant. Kyra and Michael are engaged by the magical creatures of the magic shop and the other wonders within.
Post Listening:

The marketplace bustled with life, a mosaic of colors, smells, and sounds that painted a tapestry of daily life. The sun rose higher over the stalls and their eager patrons.

Oden would see the intricate carvings, polished to perfection, reflected the wood artisan's dedication and years of practice. As she looked over the pieces, she could almost feel the heartbeat of the forest from which they came. Intricate designs and products lay in neat arrangements, each one telling tales of a master craftsman's touch. The room seemed to hum softly with an ancient energy, a testament to the craftsman's profound bond with his medium.

The craftsman paused in his work, setting his tools aside and regarded the bow presented to him with a discerning eye. With respect and delicacy, he took it into his hands, running his fingers over the curves and examining the bowstring.

The shop's soft background noises seemed to fade away, leaving only the subtle creaking of the floorboards and the old man's careful inspection. The outside world felt distant, as if the very walls of this humble shop shielded them from reality.

Finally, those deep-set eyes rose to meet Oden's. "A beautiful piece," he murmured, his voice as soft as the wind rustling through leaves. "However, there's a slight warp right here," his finger pointed to a seemingly imperceptible flaw near the grip. "It could impact its accuracy with prolonged use."

He reached below the counter, producing a small tool and began to deftly adjust the bow's form. The minutes stretched, but the world remained on hold, watching the old craftsman work his magic. Once satisfied, he handed the bow back, his eyes reflecting wisdom and understanding. "Every bow has its spirit, a soul. Cherish it, and it will stand by you through every trial."

The connection was more than just between an artisan and a customer; it was a bridging of two souls bonded by the reverence for craft. Outside, life in the marketplace carried on, but for Oden, this brief interlude was a lesson.

Not far from there, Jareth found himself standing before an alluring tea stall, adorned with beautifully crafted ceramics and a plethora of tea leaves in jars of varying hues and sizes. The tea vendor, an older man with comforting eyes and aura, looked at him knowingly. His stall was like an oasis in the marketplace, offering solace and warmth amidst the chaos. The old vendor's memory was sharp, and he recalled the intimate embrace between Jareth and the azure glow of Michael earlier that day.

"You are connected with the azure light," he said with a soft smile, pouring steaming water over a select batch of tea leaves. The aroma that wafted was both exotic and inviting. "This is a special blend, reserved for those touched by unique fates." Jareth would possibly feel a bond forming over the simple act of sharing tea.

Nearby, Kyra would notice a bit too late a peculiar tiny creature made its way toward her. Made entirely of fuzzy darkness, it seemed almost like a living shadow, its two large eyes reflecting a world of mischief and wonder. The creature moved gracefully yet left a playful trail of soot behind. The tiny creature seemed filled with innocence and curiosity as it skuttled among the items on the shelf near Kyra. Without hesitation, the creature tried hopping onto her shoulder.

Kyra would also be aware of Michael's activities within the shop. Michael, feeling almost as if he were being led by some unseen force, slowly made his way deeper into the stall. The soft luminescence emanating from the jars painted intricate patterns on his face, giving him an otherworldly appearance. The rich, tantalizing scent of herbs and ancient spells hung in the air, surrounding him in an embrace that felt both new and achingly familiar.

The old woman's gaze never left him. "You are not a stranger to magic, young one," she whispered, her voice carrying the timbre of wind rustling through ancient trees. Her words held an acknowledgment, a recognition of something deep and profound within Michael.

He glanced around the magical bazaar, feeling the pull of the wondrous items, yet it was the woman's presence that truly captivated him. "It's as if I've been drawn here," he murmured, looking slightly perplexed.

She chuckled softly, the sound reminiscent of chimes in a gentle breeze. "The forces of the universe have a way of bringing souls where they are needed most," she replied, her eyes shimmering with mirth and mystery. "You have a role to play in the grand tapestry of fate. But, for now, take a moment to simply be. Let the magic of this place seep into your bones."

As the two conversed, time seemed to slow. The enchanting creatures around them continued their gentle dance, casting prismatic lights that bathed the stall in a mesmerizing glow. For Michael and perhaps Kyra, the outside world faded away, and he found himself lost in the depths of the old woman's stories, the ancient magic of the stall, and the whispering promise of adventures yet to come.

ideados.pngSquink

Character Theme
Character Sheet

Mentions: SilverFeathers SilverFeathers , Clyvelle Clyvelle (Paragraphs 3 Onwards)
TL; DR: Squink listens to Oden and responds some, sees Jareth and offers her tea to him in hopes it'll open him up for friendship and conversation.

Squink listened in peace and quiet to the words that Oden had to share, hanging onto her words in a serene state as the calmed conversation of someone who was a lot more confident about the situation was a reassuring thing to the cephalopod. Having the thought that she had two people she could rely on their present to feel comforted and to have support from when she didn't feel she was enough, Squink took to enjoying her tea in peaceful mind as Oden made comment about the 'Blue Hero' and his capabilities.
"I suppose that's true. I've never actually heard of him, but everyone makes him sound like he's so good at things that I can't help but be a little... " Squink spoke softly as she hesitated at the end, unsure how to put her emotion of him as on her tongue it hesitated between 'jealous' and 'admiring' but not knowing what exactly felt better. Was it weird to essentially fan over someone you just met but be completely nervous and awestruck at the same time?

Listening to Oden talk as she moved on to talk about her past, Squink felt slightly nervous that she encouraged the beastkin to bring up something they may have not wanted to think about. Unsure whether or not to say her sorrows about Oden's past as they had moved on to mention about better things and what they were doing for now, she chose to keep her mouth shut as to not dwell on the bad thoughts of others for so long so they wouldn't end up adopting her worries or pessimisms over personal matters.
"Oh, the Capital. I haven't been many places around and I'm not wholy sure where I'll be wanted, but I'm hoping to go a lot of nice places and meet a lot of nice people like you" Squink answered as she gave a small 'smile' while still hesitant on direct eye-contact as she was with most. Her smile might not have been obvious since she didn't have a clearly visible mouth or visual face appearance as to others, but maybe Oden would have picked up on it.

Squink saw Oden's looking around amongst the stalls wondering if she had something in mind she was looking for, looking down at her own tea clasped in her hands to realise she had been taking very small sips as to not finish questionably fast in case it made Oden think she had been so desperate for something she couldn't pay for. It was enjoyable, but she was in no life-threatening need to drink it considering she was initially going to turn it down. She was about to panic and try to drink the rest of it quickly to follow along on whatever the beastkin were to look at as to not waste the good thing they had purchased for Squink out of the kindness of their heart, until Squink's attention was drawn to the sound of an unsure voice ordering tea at the stall they were at. It didn't sound like the nervousness she experienced when she would overly worry and stutter like an embarrased and fragile-minded stereotype, but of one who sounded like they didn't even know what they were paying for in the first place.

He was definitely familiar. She had seen him back when people were introducing themselves to everyone as support to the big move that the whole Sun Order people were doing. Something was strangely off about him that gave the impression he wasn't just a normal guy, but he looked partially like it that she didn't want to sound like he was assuming him to have some super secret identity or something silly. Seeing that he also struggled with the problem of money and hoping that Oden wouldn't be hurt in any way by the fact that she was about to offer away the tea purchased for her, Squink wasn't in a hurry to need it and she didn't know how much Jareth wanted something he couldn't pay for. That, and it was an excuse for conversation and friendship.

"Oh, hi. I remember you from when the High Priestess asked people to give introductions. Y-you are Jared, right? I am Squink if you didn't know, it's nice to meet you... You can have mine if you want it, I haven't drank much at all and I'm im no hurry for it... " Squink said softly as she offered the cup carefully clasped in both of her hands to him if he wanted it, seeing as he couldn't pay. Being awkward for a moment, she hesitated as she realised she was offering something to a gift to a guy and realising the embarrassment of it as she corrected herself.
"A-ah, I'm not sick or w-won't give you anything, it's not dangerous if you're worried about that... " she mumbled nervously, not wanting to seem like she was giving a threatening impression with anything bad or sickly possibly contaminating it for her to just suddenly offer it to him. Squink could be bad at social interactions at times, but it was pretty apparent that calling him Jared instead of Jareth was a mistake in misremembering his name that she was so peacefully unaware of as she was nervous trying to make a good first impression rather than remembering the name of the person she was making said impression to.

"Maybe I can get to know a little more about you to help calm my nerves by hearing about any stories or things you have to talk about?... " she asked softly, seeking story time from more of her companions to help settle an idea on what kinds of people she was travelling with and to distract herself. Oden hopefully shouldn't mind if Squink was distracted a little in making friends with more of those she was travelling with if it helped how she was feeling.​

Jareth Fletcher
| Human | Eyeglass Adept | Ryken Adventurer E | Sandman | Comrade | Sun-Kissed |
Sandman - character's body is made of sand. Is likely to leave sand behind wherever they go. Has an easier time staying together in moist environments and less windy days. Even when solid, can give off the impression they may blow away at any moment.
Comrade - character has proved themselves to be a good ally and approachable. Character will have easier time convincing others to team up with their cause or to allow him to join theirs. More likely to join a cause that isn't worth joining too, however.
Sun-Kissed - character has a new found fascination with the Leilosis faith. Will suffer in social situations with those that despise the followers of the Sun God. Will excel in social situations with Sun God followers.

TL/DR - Jareth drinks the vendor's special tea and has a moment. Debates whether Michael might be some kind of fortune god. Realizes Squink also offered him her tea and drinks it as well. Carefully wades into conversation with her without coming across as rude.

Jareth watched as the vendor prepared a cup of tea, thinking it was for the vendor himself. When the aged hand extended the ceramic cup to him, however, Jareth froze.

"F...For me...?" he asked in disbelief. "But I-I have no money...!"

The vendor revealed his own reverance for Michael, insisting Jareth receive his gift. Gently cradling the ceramic in his hand, Jareth breathed in the steam. Thankfully smell hadn't been taken from him.

"Unique fates, huh?" Jareth would mumble to himself as he peered into the infused water. "Yeah, that's one way to put it."

Raising the cup to his mouth, the slightest sip would trickle past his lips onto his tongue. He paused as his eyes suddenly widened, before gulping more of the tea down. It was hot but still he drank it down, closing his eyes tight. The warmth was deposited in his chest where he held it as long as he could. It made him think of his parents and what it was like being with them when he was young. Gradually their faces faded from his mind, only to be replaced by Michael.

Jareth opened his eyes when Squink addressed him. Jared...? She was offering him another cup--her cup--of tea. Two free teas? Had Michael become a god of luck while Jareth wasn't looking?

"I, um...thanks." Jareth said flatly as he took her tea cup in his free hand. Turning back to the vendor, he returned his original cup. "Thank you very much for the tea." He looked from the vendor to Squink's cup in his hand, shrugged, and guzzled it down as well before also handing it to the vendor.

Now that he was empty-handed, he turned back to Squink. Jareth's eyes visibly took in her features in an apparent analysis of what he was looking at sort of way. Purple skin. Tentacles. Oddly shaped head. All black clothing. Jareth suppressed his desire to come out and ask what she was directly.

"I've...never seen someone like you...." he said slowly, trying to piece together sentences that weren't inherently rude. "Your name was...Squink...? W...Where's that name from?"

Actions:
---

• Vitality - A
  • Regeneration D

Oden (#ACA9A7)

Character Sheet
---
TLDR: Oden bowed and felt a bond with the veteran bowyer. She purchased stuff from his store, as well as elsewhere, before wandering around the marketplace on her own.​
Oden cautiously watched the craftsman inspect her bow, her chest held high in nervous anticipation. She hadn't sought guidance from another for a long time. As an elder figure, with the more senior or talented folk slowly leaving her failing clan one by one, the opportunity for advice was often hard to come by. The butterflies that faintly bubbled in her stomach from the anticipation made her wonder if all the young ones she had taught had often felt similar, as they looked up at her with their expectant little eyes.

Still, it was unexpected that words of praise were the first thing to come out of this veteran craftsman's mouth. Oden's amber eyes couldn't help but happily bend into curved crescent moons, her wispy facial feathers only faintly obscuring the wrinkles on her eyelids. Her mood did not dampen as the human artisan pointed out a flaw she had missed, rather, her gaze sharpened as his hands begin to move. Though nice to hear on occasion, she was not here for needless praise after all. She was here to learn.

Focusing intently, Oden watched the old craftsman's every action. Taking into account the way he held the bow, avoided damage to its structure, and imperceptibly increased both her creation's longevity and its accuracy. She only very occasionally inquired an insightful question or two, ones that greatly impacted the way she viewed bow-making as a whole. By the time things had ended, she found herself deeply bowing in gratitude, as per Kuridan culture, and smiling at the human as one would an old friend.
---
After purchasing some extra wood and bow string under the guidance of the old master, as well as some extra arrows for provisions, Oden left the humble store refreshed. The faint fears and trepidation towards the spiritual calling, as well as this lengthy expedition she was suddenly brought into, all seemed like lesser worries now. Noticing Squink still at the tea stand, nervously acquainting herself with the blue hero's friend, Oden simply smiled and left her to it. She was happy to see the ilithid soothe her worries by making more friends.

Turning elsewhere, the old owl leisurely strolled around the marketplace, purchasing extra rations, refilling her water skin and buying herself two maps, one covering the eastern border of Ryke, the other covering the western border of the Otenzian Empire. The latter was naturally more pricy, but she felt that knowing how to navigate back to safety if being chased by slavers and the like was vital knowledge.

In her wandering, she located Michael and Kyra by a most magical store, and Retili, Cluilia and Annabelle wandering the streets of the marketplace together. It was nice to see everyone getting to know each other. But Oden knew she'd have plenty of time to do that during the expedition, so she chose to relish the short time she could enjoy on her lonesome.

ideados.png
Squink
Character Theme
Character Sheet

TL; DR: squink tries too hard to make friends with Jareth and gets overly nervous that shes failing at friendship making, also thinking about newfriends oden and michael in process. Bonus post because felt like writing for squink and wrote a needlessly long squimk post
Mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Novama Novama

Squink just awkwardly held her empty hands to herself as she gave hesitant glances at Jareth, not wanting to directly look into his eyes and make eye contact as she had offered him her cup. She didn't know if he was going to suddenly want another after he had finished a first, but he thankfully took it in case of the latter where her offer just make a very awkward introduction. Holding in her sigh of relief as to not get his attention over how overly complicated she was taking a first introduction to someone she would be travelling with as to not immediately fail and ruminate over it for the next five years, she just lightly nodded.

"I-it's fine, you seem like you probably needed it more" Squink answered as she just waited for him to finish realising her unique appearance, a reaction that she was not surprised someone would take to doing on their first meeting with her. Although, the fact that the first thing he asked about was the origin of her name was a bizarre question. She would have presumed he would have asked about where she had come from or what her intentions for being present were, just silently hesitating for a moment as she slowly looked upwards in thought of trying to give him an answer.

"I guess it's... a far-off thing? There isn't really anyone else I've ever heard to have the same name.... maybe, I feel like those who came up with the name just thought I looked like a Squink when I was young. Although a lot of that I don't really remember, I don't know much about... this place, or where we're going or stuff. I guess maybe I'm just feeling a little ditzy and don't remember. Oops" Squink answered in response as she nervously poked at where her cheek would be in thought, giving a small nervous laugh as she felt embarrassed that she didn't really have an answer to his question.
"M-maybe some day you or I will meet another Squink that one of us can ask, but I think there's probably only one Squink and it's me... " she spoke as she just tried to fill potential silence so there wasn't just a strange split of silence that ruined the mood and potential friendship.

"I don't get out much, as you can probably tell. A-And a little nervous since I've never done anything like this before. Do you have anything you could tell me from your experience, or if you have any nice stories to tell from things you've done?" she asked as she took a look around to see where Oden was at the stall she had went to in thought of talking to her again soon since the beastkin was rather calming with their words and tone. That, and looking to see wherever Michael had went off to since she felt like he would have been in comfortable charge of the entire ordeal only to not be in plain sight whenever she was currently trying to see him. Maybe he had important hero things to do, what a guy. Wondering if Jareth knew of any of those they were with, she looked back to him as to not seem rude that she was glancing away.

"Do you know anyone that we're travelling with? I-I mean, you maybe know about Michael since everyone seems to know about him, e-even though I don't. I-I've met and talked to him and Oden and they we're both nice, b-but the blue hero was a little hard to read at times. M-maybe he's just heard a lot of people ask the same things to him before. I still don't really get at all why everyone knows him though... " Squink spoke aloud as she looked back to Jareth, holding her hands behind her back in patient waiting.

"O-of course you... don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to, i-it's understandable, I'm just a little scared that I'll do badly and maybe want to make some friends so I don't feel alone on this trip". Squink was a little hesitant that she was piling on too many questions to someone she was just speaking to for the first time, a visible slight amount of quivering as the ilithid was trying to be as friendly as she could be but being unconfident in herself being able to do so by feeling like she was too pushy and overwhelming. Hopefully the tea she had given him that was bought by someone else entirely would be enough to convince him that such an incapable dunce cephalopod would be a good friend so that she could learn from him if his own skills were more than she could tell at first glance. Considering everyone had some purpose they could lend help in as Michael and Oden had both suggested, perhaps he had some bizarre talents she couldn't even conceive. Squink just waited in anticipation with her own overly conscious thoughts as her facial tentacles gently quivered in nervousness as her eyes kept swapping between looking at the floor and close enough to his face that avoided meeting eye-contact. Squink just banked on that her blushes of embarrassment were hidden through her skintone, but they were blatantly visible.

Jareth Fletcher

TL/DR - Jareth continues talking to Squink and realizes they're more alike than he originally thought.

Jareth tried to keep up with Squink's rambling sentences. He scratched his head as his gaze stared at her, unflinching. She sure was a nervous thing, whatever she was. Jareth could relate to that.

"Well, come to think of it, I don't know any other Jareths." Jareth said. "You and I are one of a kind until we find someone with our names." He breathed out a heavy sigh after she revealed she didn't know much about where they were currently. "I understand that. I know we're somewhere on the eastern side of Ryke...and further east is the empire we're heading to, but...," he shrugged, "beyond that, I'm just as clueless as you are." Jareth gestured for her to walk with him. "Let's see if we can't find Michael. I was looking for him earlier when I found this tea stall."

Squink's rambling resumed, her tentacles and hands fidgeting until they were hidden behind her. It wasn't until her last statement that Jareth understood: she was alone just like him. Even then, Jareth had Michael at least. Squink didn't seem to have even one friend.

Jareth remembered growing up at the orphanage. Osman and his goons always turned the others against Jareth. It wasn't until that day Michael saved him that Jareth had even one person on his side. Now here he was with someone who was just like him: a creature all alone in desperate need of a friend. Once he understood this, Jareth knew what he had to do.

"Hey," Jareth said, perhaps cutting her off, but not doing so to be rude. His tone was suddenly serious but caring and sincere. "You stick with me and Michael, Squink. I know all too well what it's like feeling like you're all alone. If I can help take some of the lonely out of your life, I will."

Actions:
---

• Vitality - A
  • Regeneration D

AnnabelleCharacterFaceclaim.jpgAnnabelle Thistlehart
TLDR: Annabelle continues her chat with Cluilia (by saxon saxon ) as she continues to ask for potential advice on finance and how the markets in their location work.

- - -

"Well..." Annabelle felt herself in a position of thought yet again as she came face to face with the exotic goods merchant who had stood before her, extravagant clothing and all. So it seemed that in the topic of goods and wares Cluilia sold, none were really available for Annabelle, and even in spite of the question she asked, things were still kept somewhat vague. Perhaps this woman didn't know as much of the Market district? At that time, Annabelle was left with a puzzling expression crossing her face, but she continued to press on, especially after she was asked a question in return, one that only plunged her into a deeper thought, all thanks to Cluilia's deft words.

The budget.

While Annabelle had already insisted on using the funding she was granted by superiors in order to aid Michael and the party at hand, it was another detail that if it was even possible for her to be able to do so within the coinage she had available to her. Cluilia could see the maid's face shift from thought to a touch of sadness... before she continued to speak once more after a brief period of silence.

"Likely enough to help with our living conditions, but I know that we shouldn't take things too far. This isn't a getaway paradise, it's a journey, after all. I'm here to make sure things are comfortable and safe, but we can't just squander our resources instantly." As she spoke, Annabelle gaze slowly turned over to a small array of the other party members who were also going through with their own shopping and preparations. "As much as I am here to serve Michael as per my orders, I don't wish to disappoint others. I have to uphold my status as a maid, after all. But I will sadly admit that... well, I don't think I'd be able to get everything I need for everybody else here on my appointed funding. I've been used to managing to demanding of both my own needs and that of the people I usually take care of, but now that there is more... the equation is a little more difficult for me to solve."

ideados.png
Squink
Character Theme
Character Sheet

Mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Novama Novama SilverFeathers SilverFeathers
TL; DR: Jareth is fren and talking to him more, gona go look for Michael with him(?) or wherever Jareth wants to go

Squink got the feeling that he too was disappointed he couldn't receive any good answers about the situation from her as she wasn't able to find good answers either so far, letting him finish what he had to say as he spoke how he was just looking for Michael. It was hard to know whether or not they knew eachother or if Jareth just knew of his success as so many others appeared to know of. She was about to mumble quiet nervousness until her thoughts were cut off by Jareth speaking to reassure her that he and Michael would be able to support her if she remembered to stay around them. The implication that both of them wanted to help support her and suggested to trust in them was a reassuring thought that she now knew atleast three of the people she would be travelling with would make good companions that she could rely on in times of worry.

"A-ah, do you two know eachother or have met? Michael was nice to me when we first met although he sounded a little serious when I told him I was a little unsure about the whole thing" Squink said as she had time to process the last thing he had said while she opted to walk with him on his search for Michael. Jareth also had proposed such a line which felt like a lot to think about, considering his claim to help support making her feel less lonely was a strikingly strong claim to make. Unsure whether or not to take it as just a bold proclaimation of wanting to be her friend from the get-go or an actual promise that she should stay in close proximity to him and/or Michael for as much as she could to be safe and feel better was too much of an immediate thought to think about when she already wasn't thinking straight.

"So... do you have anything interesting to tell from where y-you've come from or what you've done? M-maybe you have a better reason for being here to help than me... " Squink asked in question in hopes to perhaps hear some past tales that would lighten the mood. Michael seemingly didn't have the time to tell her anything of the sort, and Oden shared some rather sad past that wasn't exactly the calming motivation she was looking for. At least the presence of said beastkin was calming enough, and Michael felt very trustworthy and reliable. She was awkwardly fiddling with her hands behind her back as she walked, her embarrased face looking more towards the floor as her curling and coiled tentacles huddled closer to her face with her overthinking. It probably wasn't visible with the concealment of the rest of her tentacles as well as its placement, but she was gently and harmlessly gnawing on one of her tentacles as if she were biting her nails or more rather sucking her thumb in complete distress. It was probably embarrassing and made sense, but people probably wouldn't notice.

"T-thank you for wanting to stay around me. M-maybe if we can't find him we can ask others. Oden was very nice to me, but I h-haven't talked to anyone else yet, but they might've likely seen him more recently... " Squink speaks softly as she had eventually stopped chewing on her own tentacle in nervousness, more cheered and cleared up as she curiously looked to him for his suggestion on where they should be going. She didn't want to get lost in such a market on her own, so if she was with someone that seemed rather confident then she would atleast have someone to cry to if she did end up getting left behind. That, and hopefully someone else would realise that atleast one of them was missing. Jareth seemed very nice to that she wouldn't mind spending more time with him, although considering they had the entire trip ahead of them Squink couldn't tell as to how much time she would have to spend with those she had met in case they were off doing something much more important that she couldn't aid with. On the positive, Squink could believe that she made three nice friends now.

CODE BY SEROBLISS

Everything that Kyra set her eyes on was so charming; it reminded her of poking through an antique store, and of what she always envisioned a grandmother's house to look like. Each thing was a marvel in its own right- and yet none of them were lessened by their equally odd neighbors. She was practically in a trance when she noticed a shifting shadow in the corner of her eye- when she turned her focus, it was gone. A trick of the light, she mused, something odd about the reflection around all these things...

So she was completely caught off guard when the sooty shadow pounced at her shoulder. "Oh!" she gasped, her arms rising- and then moving to support the thing that she was now cradling. When she moved her hands, she could see that they were now covered in ash; but no matter. Little creatures were far more important than a bit of dirt.

The adventurer smiled at the thing in her hands, scooting it up to have its face closer to her own. "Well, hello," she said softly to it, "that was quite an entrance. It's a pleasure to meet you." The thing had clever eyes, and she nearly expected it to talk back to her; maybe it wouldn't be the strangest thing in this new world. After all, she had adventured with a centaur already, and was about to embark on a journey with a sentient, speaking owl, and a woman with a squid for a head.

But rather than wait for a response, the young woman looked up for the woman running the stall- and saw Michael had moved further in. The glowing jars shifted around his face oddly, giving him an even more ethereal appearance. She took a tentative step towards him, careful to not disturb the air around them. The rest of the market faded away, leaving just the few of them. The woman was speaking with Michael, and Kyra didn't need to know any rules of magic to know better than to interrupt them.

As Michael grew more lost in the wares, Kyra figured that she was safe to speak now. "Excuse me," she said in a hushed tone to the woman, as though she were in a library, and nodded to the creature in her arms. "This fella came to say hi," she continued, and smiled again at the sooty shadow. "I assume he's yours?" A part of her hoped that the little shadow thing would be for sale, that she could buy it- a more wistful part of her said that it was no time to become a pet owner, but it would take very little to convince her otherwise.

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet Novama Novama Clyvelle Clyvelle SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy upscalerat upscalerat saxon saxon NimbusWing NimbusWing

tldr; Retili mentally debates the small amount of funds given to Annabelle for her contract. Then he offers to pay for the necessary supplies.

Retili listened to the maid curiously as she lamented the issues of her funding. Why was it she was worried about provisions for anyone other than herself? Had the guild really sent her without the appropriate funding? After all it would seem that they would allocate a bit of extra funds if they needed to supply Michael as well, and it seemed rather short sighted and unlike any of the guilds Retili knew to leave a member of theirs so high and dry. Still he shrugged. Maybe the maid was bad with money or embezzling the cash. It wasn't his job and he wasn't about to start pointing fingers. The Zentox fixed his gaze on Annabelle. "I will cover the incidental expenses for you. My own men and I require little in the way of foodstuffs and I am happy to spend some money for once." He waved a hand at the stalls. "Go ahead and find what you need. I will follow after you and pay. Who knows, maybe i'll find a curiosity to pick up while you purchase your supplies."

• Caelia Savant D - Law E, Warfare E, Business F, Academia F, Area Knowledge [Caelia Barony] F - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - Retili uses his comprehensive knowledge built up through years of study to overcome issues that smooth talking might not otherwise be capable of.
  • Charismatic Scribe D - Insight D, Perception E, Empathy E, Persuasion D - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - Using his quick wit and fast mind, Retili talks his way around and through problems that he encounters.
  • Noble Bearing D - Etiquette E, Law E, Academia F, Persuasion D, Empathy E, Perception E, Insight D, Business F - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - After some time spent in study, on the road, and in the court of nobles Retili has learned the way and bearing required to be at least adequate in the many skills expected of nobility.

Mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle @Ian Temero saxon saxon conman2163 conman2163 SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy upscalerat upscalerat NimbusWing NimbusWing EMIYAman EMIYAman
OOC: Almost everyone posted. Let's finish up the market scene with this round. Last chance to buy or say you'll buy whatever for the journey. Maybe get a few post rotation to head into the next part of the story strong. Keep up the post summaries too. Seems like its helping some of you better hit those important bits in replies.
Time: 10:30am
Cooldown:
TLDR: Kyra's told the spirit in her hands belongs to no one. Michael leaves the magic shop to find himself surrounded by a crowd about to turn mob. Michael looks for allies as he hopes to better handle the situation with the crowd starting to close in on him.
Post Listening:

While the enchanting atmosphere of the magic shop was enough to draw in any curious traveler, for Kyla, the real marvel was a tiny spirit, pitch-black like the remnants of a charred log. Its form was ethereal, just a touch larger than the palm of her hand. It had seemingly taken a liking to her, using her arms and head as its personal playground, curling and uncurling around her in a merry dance, often nestling close for a comforting embrace.

The elderly shopkeeper, draped in layers of cascading robes, observed with a twinkle in her eyes. As Kyla inquired about the small spirit, the wise old woman replied in a voice that hinted of ancient forests and whispered lullabies, "Ah, my dear, that little one belongs no more to me than the trees outside. It goes where it wishes, bound by no one."

Outside the shop, a spectacle had begun to unfold. Michael, with his innate presence, had unknowingly become the center of an ever-growing crowd. They congregated around the bathhouse-styled magic shop, their faces a mix of awe and anticipation. Some maintained a distance, their respect evident in their hesitation. Others, bolder and more eager, edged closer, hoping that proximity to him would grant them some unexpected favor or charm.

Inside the shop, Michael's unique aura began to interact with the magical surroundings in a manner none could have predicted. The ambient mana in the air seemed to be drawn towards him, creating a visual spectacle. The once-steady glow of magical items in the shop started to flicker and dance erratically, as if caught in a storm. Even the spiritual fae floating about the store became more animated, their glow intensifying, drawn to the energy concentrated in Michael. Even the little dark spirit clung tighter to Kyra as it seemed like it was caught in a strong breeze of some kind. Sensing the unease his presence was causing, and the eager eyes of the crowd outside, Michael felt an overwhelming urge to leave the area.

Stepping out into the bright light of the market, Michael was met with a sea of faces. The intensity of their gaze felt almost palpable, and for a moment, he felt trapped, at a loss for what to do next. Desperately scanning the crowd, he searched for a familiar face, a beacon to ground him amidst the chaos.

Jareth Fletcher

TL/DR - Jareth divulges the cliffnotes of his life for Squink. Highly recommends the food laced with mithril flakes in the Magic Duchy. Tries and fails to find Michael from a high place. Suggests Squink decides where they look next. Finally directly asks Squink what she is.

"Know each other? Michael saved my life. I owe him a lot even though I've only known him a little over a year." Jareth said, his eyes glancing to Squink before returning to scanning the marketplace. The flow of people was ambiguous at best. People walked this way and that. Other than Retili and his entourage, many of these creatures were Jareth's height or taller with the majority being the latter. He turned back to Squink and pointed further down the road to a raised platform for public addresses and performances. "Let's head there. I can't see over the crowd. Hopefully we'll see some hint of Michael from there."

[Fun Fact: Jareth is 5'9"]

As they walked, Squink tried to strike up more conversation. Jareth cleared his throat as he gave her the cliffnotes of his life.

"I come from Ryken, the capital city of Ryke, which is the country where we're at now. It's a busy place full of several different kinds of creatures. Ryke as a whole is kind of like all the other countries combined into one place, so we have a lot of different influences here. I worked as an eyeglass artisan there under my master Nolan Isthmus. I met Michael when he saved me from some bullies one day. Michael invited me to join the Adventurer's Guild. We hunted some horned rabbits together, and even used the Ryken portal system to travel to the Magic Duchy. Have you ever tasted food with mithril flakes? It's VERY delicious. The Duchy is full of food like that. I highly recommend it if you ever travel there."

Jareth skillfully dodged the portion of the latter adventure that ended in...unpleasantness. He had rehearsed those details already today and was not keen to relive them again so soon. Squink mentioned Oden, but Jareth didn't recall who that was.

"Which one was Oden? I was distracted during the introductions. I'm...not really sure who all is even joining us on this trip to be honest. I did meet two of them though: Annabelle and Kyra." Jareth said. Upon reaching the platform, he climbed up to the top and started looking around. He could finally see above the crowd, but even with the elevation, his vantage wasn't much better. Other than a throng of people collecting at the far side of the marketplace, there was no sign of Michael anywhere. Climbing back down, he rejoined Squink, defeated.

"I'm not having any luck. You pick where we look now." Jareth said with a sigh. "Why don't you tell me about yourself while we walk. I was trying to avoid asking you outright, but...what are you? Everything about you is entirely foreign to me."

Actions:
---

• Vitality - A
  • Regeneration D

Kristina(Lupa)
Mentions: Novama Novama
TL ; DR - Kristina walks through Merchant Village considering her job for the Sun Order. Encounters Michael who she recognizes, unaware of their connection to the same employer. She used a smoke bomb to help him out of the crowd and leads him away.

sample-6fd9cd421f932b4d1384d5098cfb5818.jpgA cloaked woman walked the streets of Dawn Island particularly the Merchant Village. The wolfen ears upon her head twitched in response to just about every sound amidst the hustle and bustle, while the tail between her legs hung down swishing from right to left in response to her emotions. Kristina the Merchant had been traveling for some time going as far as the land of the icy Kingdom to the north though not into any of the cities itself. She had peddled her wares and gathered information where she could expanding her knowledge of this world as much as she could, her eyes always on the hunt for opportunity. Eventually her travels had to come to end and so she made her way back to the most familiar place to her, where she held property of her own. Only to find the place once known as the "Sol County" had changed drastically apparently while she was gone it went through several states of upheaval passing from hand to hand before the Ryke Government put their foot down and officially annexed it into the whole rather than allow it to remain as it was. But all that was way beyond her, it paid to keep your hand on the pulse of politics but only to a point. 'Otherwise all that crap will drive you to an early grave...' The irony of her own "death" was not lost on the wolf woman. There was a period of time where she couldn't be sure of the validity of her deed to her land but it seemed it managed to remain in her hands despite it all. Now she was simply back to the grind business couldn't stop for too long after all. In fact she was on a job right now.

Some religious folks needing escort, they must have been pretty desperate to call upon her. She was just a Merchant after all though they did likely need her resources and she'd gladly take their coin it wasn't like she was much of a fighter... Well that was a lie technically speaking those "Sun Order" members had made a good choice picking her she was a Bodyguard in her old world after all, but its not like she was advertising that. "K the Bodyguard" and "Lupa the Merchant" were meant to be different people, anonymity and all that. It was worth its weight in gold. Considering the details of this particular escort job Kristina in the guise of Lupa suddenly stopped walking.

In front of her was a rather rowdy crowd which seemed to grow with every moment all surrounding a particular shop. The sheer number of people made the rest of the Market seem like a ghost town in comparison. Was that shop popular, is their business that good? That question passed through Kristina's mind while she stared at the display wondering what could be causing it. The crowd was blocking the view meaning seeing through them to find the object of their engrossment was difficult, and while taller than the average woman Kristina wasn't exactly a giant able to look over their shoulders. So instead she opted to push her way through, they weren't packed together quite like sardines but it was close. Honestly it was simple business curiosity that drover her; wanting to see the methods of success of another seller of goods. Instead her view of the center of the crowd was of a rather blue tattooed man. Her eyes narrowed as she stared at the man her tail raising up and her ear sticking up as she gazed at him. 'Hm, where have I seen Blue Boy there before...?' Memories came forcefully to the forefront of her mind, ones she hadn't considered in some time. A burning land, the air filled with curses, death decay and monsters. And finally a blue torrent rending through what little remained. 'The Thorne Barony... to think I'd find someone from that time here.' She looked at the man she recognized even if they had only met briefly with a controlled expression. Though being reminded of the Barony brought another to mind. 'I woulda preferred to see that Boy Scout Finn again, at least he was a bit easier on the eyes.' Her inner thoughts tried to convey nonchalance as if it didn't matter to her either way who was here. But the light pout on her face showed the futility of lying to herself. With a light hue threatening to reach her face she resolved herself to take action. Even if only to distract herself from the image of a blonde knight in her mind.

Meeting Michaels gaze she could see a desire to escape the situation, a general awkwardness that denoted a lack of comfort. Taking the pack off her back she stuck a hand into it rifling around through various items. Kristina's hand eventually closed around a round object and she calmly pulled out the item she had been searching for. She tested its meager weight in her hand scrutinizing it making sure she was satisfied with her choice. Then she unceremoniously tossed it to the ground just in front of Michael [Smoke Bombs E]. The area would fairly swiftly fill with smoke as the cocktail of various compounds mixed and reacted to each other, obscuring Michael from view. 'Not bad for a test case guess these weren't a scam after all.' Pleased with her smoke bombs effectiveness she crept into the smoke towards Michael. The smoke should've been thick enough to obscure vision from the naked eye save for what was just in front of you. Kristina was now finding out however that the smoke didn't exactly please her canine nose the smell being far stronger than what she could have sensed as a human. 'Ugh, better make it quick.' Getting closer to Michael she reach out a hand through the smoke where she knew him to be, save for any special forms of vision Michael would likely only be able to make up her hand and the outline of her body within the smoke. "Hey Blue Boy haven't seen you since 'Thorne', not like we talked though. Doesn't seem like you love the attention; wanna get outta here?" She offered her hand promising escape from the crowd into more comfortable quieter surroundings.

CODE BY SEROBLISS

The little creature didn't stay in Kyra's hands for long, quickly scampering up her neck, through her hair, onto her arms, and the adventurer found herself continually twisting and turning her hands to make sure that the little thing couldn't inadvertently fall off of her. Not that it needed the help- the sooty creature roamed her like it had done it a thousand times before, like she was its favorite playground.

The little spirit was its own master, and Kyra found herself delighted to learn that. If it comes along, then, it's not because I'm getting a pet. But what a companion for as long as it stays! That just about settled it. Kyra looked back at the small critter as she spoke again. "Do you know if it has a name? Or what it might like to eat, if it decides to stick with me for a time?" The least that she could do, she figured, would take care of such a tiny thing while she was lucky enough to.

Beside her, Michael seemed to be drawing in the energies that were around them. She felt a small grip on her hand, and put her other one up as a shield for the spirit, as one might guard a candle flame they were walking with. With some surprise, Kyra looked up- to see Michael leave the little shop behind, and ease the apparent strain on the things around them. With that, she turned back to the shopkeeper, her attention split between the matronly woman and the sooty spirit.

Mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle @Ian Temero saxon saxon conman2163 conman2163 SilverFeathers SilverFeathers Femboy Femboy upscalerat upscalerat NimbusWing NimbusWing EMIYAman EMIYAman
OOC: next scene. noticed folks skip. be sure to state why to someone so i can track it for those of you who didn't bother letting folks know you weren't posting. Let folks know when or what you intend to do this round as we are actively in combat and turn economy matters (3 actions per post, Ability Cooldowns matter). Ask all questions.
Time: 4pm
Weather: clear blue skies with lazy white columns. warm afternoon summer sun.
Cooldown:
TLDR: After leaving the mysteries of Dawn Island and the comforts of Ryke behind, the group of sun worshippers and adventurers trekked into the wilderness, only to be unexpectedly ambushed on a serene hillside.
Post Listening:

East Empire Hill Countryside

1694746342175.png

In the heart of Dawn Island, the gentle hum of the marketplace was overtaken by a sudden, unexpected obscurity. Michael, caught amidst the weight of prying eyes, was handed an unexpected reprieve in the form of a thick, encompassing smoke. It swirled around him, provided by the enigmatic Lupa, a merchant whom he faintly recognized. Grasping the outstretched hand, he took the offered escape route.

Simultaneously, Kyra, intrigued by the playful spirit in the magic shop, was momentarily interrupted as the tendrils of smoke seeped in, blurring her vision and causing a cough or two. But when it cleared, not only had Michael and Lupa vanished from the marketplace but the mysterious magic shop and its elderly keeper had too. As if they'd been a mere mirage, fading once their purpose was fulfilled.

Weeks rolled by, like the gentle clouds adorning the vast skies. The sun worshippers, together with their accompanying adventurers and other supporters, left behind the comforts of Ryke, treading into the unknown. Their path was filled with promises, as well as the melancholy of bygone days.

The journey brought them to a picturesque hillside. This landscape seemed to have leaped straight out of an artist's dream. Golden, tall grasses swayed, bending with the gentle gusts of wind, painting waves upon the earth. Boulders, aged and wise, sat interspersed, having stood the test of time. The trees, reaching towards the heavens, cast comforting shadows, a haven from the sun's passionate embrace.

However, this tranquility was not meant to last.

Hidden behind rocks and the tall grass, brigands of unknown faction sprang forth, weapons glinting maliciously in the sunlight. The sudden ambush sent a wave of panic through the group, the clergy and their protectors caught off guard. How had the scouts missed them?

A skirmish of intense proportions began. Michael, Jareth, and other adventurers, alongside skilled priests, formed a protective barrier around the convoy. Their weapons clashed, echoing through the once serene hills. The situation looked dire. The enemy outnumbered the defenders at least 2 to 1 and the defenders had the handicap of defending the children, elderly, and other non-combatants. Of the attackers, most were human with small numbers of fae and beastmen in their number. The beastmen were predominantly warriors and savage beasts that rushed the caravan. The fae and some of the humans hung back and chanted spells to augment their allies and harm the caravan at range. The humans that rushed forward were either enhanced with magic or hopelessly inept types with little more than a weapon to their name. The armor worn was not consistent among the enemy, much of it likely stolen or scavenged.

1692319623107-png.1109096
A young cleric, eyes wide in shock, started chanting a protection spell, while a child nearby clutched their parent's robe, their face pale from the sudden turn of events. The sun worshippers had a warrior order with them. Although few in number, they could channel the sun's power to energize their bodies and allow them to shoot ranged bolts of brilliant energy at would-be attackers. Those that got too close were quickly surprised to find the hand to hand prowess of the monks was not to be underestimated. The head priestess was able to handle herself while surrounded by the enemy, a blur of lights and motion, her golden garments sparkly brilliantly as she moved. With each flash, another criminal went flying.

In the thick of the sudden chaos, Michael stood out like a beacon. The twin mithril blades he bore glinted in the sun's refracted rays, catching the attention of friend and foe alike. Unlike the calculated strikes and parries of seasoned swordsmen, Michael’s method was raw and unrefined. The swirl of his dual blades was reminiscent of a tempest, uncontrolled but undeniably fierce.

Determined, his voice rang out, powerful and commanding, "Protect those who cannot defend themselves!" He beckoned the other defenders, helping guide them into formation around the vulnerable. Each time he twirled, his blades left an arc of silver light, repelling one assailant after another.

But while his technique lacked finesse, what Michael had in spades was raw strength. With each swing, despite its recklessness, he managed to fend off multiple foes, pushing them back. His heart raced, but his resolve never wavered. He could feel the weight of the twin blades, and their enchanted aura pulsed with his own heartbeat, resonating with his desire to protect.

"We'll push through this together!" he cried out, attempting to rally spirits and instill hope. But even as he spoke, his focus never left his dance of defense, a dance that seemed almost to blur the line between desperation and determination. He may not have been a master swordsman, but in this moment, Michael's spirit was unyielding.

Oden (#ACA9A7)

Character Sheet
Novama Novama
TLDR: Oden aims at a fae augmentor and fires two arrows at them.

Time flew by in the blink of an eye. The trip toward that enslaving empire was too peaceful, so peaceful in fact, it only made the old owl's paranoia worse as time went on. Fortunately or not, her fears were well met as chaos was set upon them in an instant.

Oden had to admit that Michael was an eye-catching figure. Drama and politics on whether he deserved his hero title aside, he was one you couldn't help but have your eyes drawn to, and that was a trait not many possessed. Just him being there seemed to soothe allies and worshippers alike, despite the tremendous odds that stood against them.

Turning her gaze away, Oden focused up, her gaze drifting towards those tricksters in the backlines of the enemy's ranks, constantly bolstering and assisting the weaker members of their melee forces. With so much in the way, including both the landscape and chaotic brawling, it would be a tricky shot. But even if it's just to fake pressure on them, she felt it was worth a try.

Whilst their own melee forces still stood strong, Oden retreated slightly and took aim at one of the fae augmentors, prioritizing shots that would at most hit a different, stray enemy or boulder rather than taking the risk of harming an ally.

Action 1: Take aim at a ranged fae augmentor
Action 2: Fire an arrow (Using Bow D, Precision C so 7 effectiveness)
Action 3: Fire a second arrow at the same target (+1 effectiveness)

Retili Loxinofican

tldr; After the Retili rallies his troops to him and forms ranks for the fight against the brigands and curses his lack of drum, trumpet, or fifer.

Retili did not miss much as he went along the market stalls and purchased a few nick nacks for himself while paying for the supplies he had promised. He maintained constant vigilance as he walked the market square. Even so he was surprised by a sudden explosion of smoke as the crowd that had centered around the market square surrounding the magic shop nearby. He was surprised to see that the shop had disappeared when the smoke finally cleared. Though it was a world of magic so perhaps that wasn't crazy in some places. Not long after he gathered his men and joined the convoy. The Zentox had withdrawn to his own inner thoughts as he marched along at the head of his men, situated at the center of the travelling party. His fifty troops, smartly uniformed in black with their shining brass buttons, marched behind. The five pikes acted as a personal guard to Retili and so were at the front while the rifle armed troops were behind. The Zentail soldiers held rigid discipline, though occasionally they chatted among themselves in the language of their homeland. Many seemed as self reflective as their leader however and remained stoically silent.

The Zentail's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the battle that began very suddenly. With a shout and a hand motion he gathered his men. "To me! Rifles form a line and fix bayonets. Double rank! To the fight!" His men formed a double ranked line and began moving even as the first of the fighting broke out. He saw an immediate need for reinforcements to all sides but it looked to be that the left needed the most help. "Rifles wheel left and prepare for the enemy! Pikes, assist the high priestess! Follow her orders to the letter and kill any enemies who approach her." [Action 1] Retili drew his dagger and led his men forward as the enemy made heavy contact with them. His confidence momentarily wavered as he marched to the danger, a sudden reminder of the battle at Yemaya bringing a jolt of fear, but he shoved the thoughts away even as he moved with his rifles. He stood at the left of the troops. "Close and kill men! No quarter for the brigands! Keep your formation tight!" [Action 2] He moved forward with his troops as they fixed their bayonets to move to combat. This was no mob of undisciplined troops. These were professionals and they kept their line together even as they closed to kill the enemy.

Fighting broke out as the double line of his troops fought the enemy, making use of their skills to kill whoever they came into contact with. (Bayonet Fighting (Penetrating F)). Occasionally a gunshot would ring out as a Zentail who was confident they could get a shot off at an enemy took the opportunity. Meanwhile Retili stayed back beside the formation and kept an eye on things as best he could, trying to determine where his men would be needed next and see if any opportunities would arise that he could take advantage of. [Warfare E][Perception E]. [Action 3]

Action 1: Retili takes his men to the left flank to help the fight there and forms a double line. His pikes move to help the high priestess and will follow her orders to the letter while defending her from any attacks.
Action 2: Retili and his rifles move into the melee with the enemy.
Action 3: Retili stays close to his formation to keep an eye on the overall situation. [Warefare E] [Perception E], His men begin fighting with the enemy [Bayonet Fighting (Penetrating F)]

• Caelia Savant D - Law E, Warfare E, Business F, Academia F, Area Knowledge [Caelia Barony] F - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - Retili uses his comprehensive knowledge built up through years of study to overcome issues that smooth talking might not otherwise be capable of.
  • Noble Bearing D - Etiquette E, Law E, Academia F, Persuasion D, Empathy E, Perception E, Insight D, Business F - Grade D, 2 post Cooldown - After some time spent in study, on the road, and in the court of nobles Retili has learned the way and bearing required to be at least adequate in the many skills expected of nobility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back