• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Farewell to Kings: The Temple of Hyxia

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Boartusk Tavern was busy during lunch hour. A kitchen in a room beyond the bar area was steaming hot, and the aroma of simmering boar stew filled the air, mixed in with the bar's musky smell of cigars and sweat. Outside, a layman was talking to a middle aged lady wearing lots of make up and a slightly ragged dress.

Inside, the smell hits you first, then the sight of the bar. A table of hungry dock workers were being fed stew, bread, and boiled bean sprouts. Another table had three dwarves sitting at it. They were dressed like traders, two wearing pocketed dublets, and the third dressed in studded leather. The dwarves played a strange drinking game where they'd rap their mugs on the table,and after several raps would throw peanuts at each other's mugs. They were laughing and talking loudly. A high speech check check (Charisma DC 25 or Diplomacy 17) would allow someone to interrupt them and get their attention.

As the group enters, a table seating several salty looking men rose from their chairs and started leaving through a side door. A high spot check would allow you to identify a few of the figures leaving the bar. (Wisdom DC 25 or Perception 19 to catch details) They seemed bothered by your arrival, enough to leave the bar in haste. Perhaps the multiple armed strangers made them uneasy, who knows? (Sense motive 20)

Either way, there's an open table! Everyone could seat themselves at the table closest to the bar and kitchen. The steward, a boy no older than sixteen, arrived with cups of cold water for the adventurers who arrived, and would take any reasonable order they had.

MENU
Mug of Beer - 1c
Grilled Haunch of Boar - 6c
Lunch Special (stew, bread, sprouts, and a beer) - 2s
Dragonspit Wine - 3s
Dwarven Brau - 5c
Elven Spirits - 5s

The tavern was easy enough to find, but difficult to navigate. The hustle and bustle of lunchtime was a tad much for Lona, as she was used to wide open spaces. But she found her way through with measured steps and polite words. She found an empty table and sat down with a sigh of relief, claiming her stake in the table on behalf of her new crew. Right away, Lona started looking at today's menu. It was more of a formality. Lona was famished and already had her heart set on the special and some Elven Spirits. She informed the steward of her order in due time.

She was hardly aware of the group that had occupied the table previously.

Last edited:
The tavern was easy enough to find, but difficult to navigate. The hustle and bustle of lunchtime was a tad much for Lona, as she was used to wide open spaces. But she found her way through with measured steps and polite words. [standby: rolling and editing]
Lona gets a glancing look at a bald man wearing a cotton shirt and tan breeches. Nothing seems odd or interesting to her.

Following the strange duo was.. well.. simple enough, sure, he thought, it may be a good way to introduce himself to the governer.

He however, did not expect to be lead to a tavern.

such as it was, he best make the best of it.

Though... there we some interesting fellows at this place... And some taking a leave as soon as they entered... Best keep that in mind, the last he needed was something to come in and bite them in the arse, excuse his mental language.

He would go to the bar and order two boat haunches(12c), hearty and meaty, it';s what he needed to return the life to his body.

...Plus it's been awhile since hes had boar.

And a stein of dwarven brau (5c), no sense not drinking heartily as well!

The people that left the place however... he wondered...

Following the bald man out was another guy dressed like a sailor. He had a terrible grimace. He was dark haired and had a scar through his beard.

The door shut, and soon the food and drink Pal ordered arrived at the table.

Finn sat down next to Knot and pulled out a small jar of red paint. He drew lines on his own face around his eye and forearm. He started praying quietly.

“Huh... I can’t read much of anything. These encryptions are beyond my understanding. Whoever put you together knew what they were doing.”

The woman in the dress walked into the bar. She saw the paladin armor and was quite intrigued, enough to approach him.

Her hair was red like fire, and the dress was a little big on her.

“Excuse me sire, I have a question. Why do you still wear your helmet inside? I believe that knights ought to act like gentlemen.”

A moment later, Lona’s lunch arrived, along with her glass of spirits. The surface of the clear glass was dancing with tiny colorful pieces of floating glitter. It was quite a strong drink that few could handle responsibly.

Last edited:
Lona examined Knot idly after they sat down. She ignored the woman as something came into focus. As her food arrived she finally said, "Wait a minute! I think I recognize that symbol on your wrist. May I have a closer look after we eat?" She sipped her wine. "Mmm. Hey steward. Id like a glass of water as well. Do you mind?" Then Lona took a spoonful of stew blew on it, and started eating.

Last edited:
Lona examined Knot idly after they sat down. She ignored the woman as something came into focus. As her food arrived she finally said, "Wait a minute! I think I recognize that symbol on your wrist. May I have a closer look after we eat?" She sipped her wine. "Mmm. Hey steward. Id like a glass of water as well. Do you mind?" Then Lona took a spoonful of stew blew on it, and started eating.

The symbol read almost like a question. It said “Home?”

"Ah, you are quite right, it is abit to hot regardless." with a couple clasps undone, he pulls off the helmet, revealing a slightly brown bearded face with bright green eyes surrounded by a cowl of chain and padding. He was younger, or at least looked so, than one might imagine.

"I at times forget I'm wearing it, my late master once told me, with a brief clout on the head "Always wear your helmet fool! If I see it off your head again I'll beat you with it!" He was a good man, the gods took him a few months ago if I remember... Fighting till the day he died...

...Named a privy after him, its where he died after all and it was in his will to name the spot he died just so, I'm sure hes laughing about wherever he is." the knight had a wistful smirk on his face, remembering the old man fondly... Seemingly not quite enthralled by the red fox currently paying him mind.

Knot had just followed the group around, as he did not have anything better to do. The looks of people in the pub made him slightly uncomfortable and the attempts of his new companions to read him even more so.

"Many have tried, but so far no one has been successful."

He pulled his hand away when Lona touched him without permission. He was not very keen on bodily contact, as it made him more aware of his wooden skin. It was also disconcerting that he had never been able to read them himself, even though he was very capable of reading most other runes. It felt strange that something so familiar to him, was yet so mysterious and alien. He tried to divert the conversation elsewhere, but it must have felt a bit forced to the others.

"Your mentor sounds like a jolly chap, I'm sure he's in a good place." He said absentmindedly. He did not want to stand out too much, so he just ordered a beer from the steward. While he waited he had a good look around at the colorful people at the bar. He kind of wanted to hang out with the dock workers, as he was more familiar with those people, but he did not have the guts to get up or interrupt their conversations. Instead he just sat with these strangers and watched.

Lona's water arrived at the table, and the scarlet haired woman let out a laugh. "Ho ho ho, that's a great story! I'd love to talk to you some more, perhaps later tonight if you plan on staying here?" she asked Pal, resting her hand on his shoulder, though with his armor he likely wouldn't feel much but the pressure. "I just LOVE stories from knights. I betcha know a couple from the vampire wars too." In a previous era, talk of vampires would hush a whole room, and ruin conversation faster than a thunderous fart. These days they were stories of glory, of victory torn from the jaws of defeat. They were songs and legends, and people preferred it that way. It made it easier to believe all the vampires were dead.

"Sorry." Lona said. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, Knot. I love a good mystery." She alternated between water, wine and stew, listening to the others converse. So far, Pal's tale was somewhat amusing, and Lona grinned at the woman's interest in him. "I'm sure he's got plenty of tales to tell."

To Knot she said, "That symbol is a super stylized draconic rune. I saw its like in a text concerning old ruins. 'Tis an ancient style not very common these days. Looks like it's asking about 'home'. I bet we can find a good book or scholar that knows more... if you're okay with that?"

Last edited:
Lona's water arrived at the table, and the scarlet haired woman let out a laugh. "Ho ho ho, that's a great story! I'd love to talk to you some more, perhaps later tonight if you plan on staying here?" she asked Pal, resting her hand on his shoulder, though with his armor he likely wouldn't feel much but the pressure. "I just LOVE stories from knights. I betcha know a couple from the vampire wars too." In a previous era, talk of vampires would hush a whole room, and ruin conversation faster than a thunderous fart. These days they were stories of glory, of victory torn from the jaws of defeat. They were songs and legends, and people preferred it that way. It made it easier to believe all the vampires were dead.
The smile turned grim for a second the moment the V word was said. If there was one thing in this world he could not stand, it was those abhorent creatures... He could pity them for their curse... But those that are dead should stay so.

"Ah... Perhaps another time." He waved off the idea, keeping his mind on his coin pouch rather than his... coin pouch. Luckily for him red heads don't set his fire alight...

And mentions of vampires even more so.

"Now then... Where is that boar...?" He paused, his fingers absent mindedly rapping upon his helm. Why so anxious...? Perhaps it was his gut? What did it sense...?

The woman lifted her hand, feeling the cold shoulder he was giving her. That hurt her ego a little.

Fine then, I’ll be around. Next time it’ll cost you a little wine and a bouquet to win me over.” She turned and left with a small huff. Off to find another interesting figure in this grindstone part of town.

Finn nudged Pal with his elbow while he ate his own meal.

She was a looker, but something tells me she says those things to all the guys on this pier. Know what I mean?” Though it was difficult to know if he truly did.
Didn’t Lona want to talk about dinner with the governor? What does she have to say about that matter?” he turned his attention towards Lona as she was finishing her lunch and still had half a glass of spirits left.

Lona's mouth was full. She covered her mouth with one hand, and held up a finger with her other hand while she struggled with a hot morsel for a long, agonizing moment. She finally swallowed and drew the folded letter from her pouch. "I'll let this letter do the talking." She passed the letter over to Finn and Pal and resumed her meal. After a few more cautious bites, she added, "Looks like a lucrative opportunity to me. What say you?"

Last edited:
Agistus winced at the girl's words... He almost felt like giving her flowers just so she wont be mad... But... Well... Then he'd be back to square one.

The letter, however, was a thankful change of thought. How strange, so important of a letter to be tossed around to strangers... Guess she was a trusting woman.

"Hmm... Well, lets see here..." the man unfolded the letter, holding the paper made him wonder if he had any letters waiting for him? He rarely could ever throw away any he recieves. Just a sentimental thing. He eyed the paper, reading what it says....

Finn read over the man’s shoulder quickly enough to not be a nuisance.
Ah, so you two have not met before?” He asked Lona.

Who was this lord you helped? He didn’t say who it was in the letter...”
It seemed that Pal’s original intake of the news was losing its credibility, but there was a story involving some Lord who did know Lona well enough to spread news of her deeds.

"I worked with Lord Ferium a few years back." Lona said between mouthfuls. "We had a monster problem. The vampires left behind a few pet projects near my homeland, which started breeding and bringing general mayhem." Lona took a sip of her drink and continued. "My teacher, Knarl the Hunter, a few friends and pretty much all the big game hunters within a hundred miles got together with Lord Ferium and his private army. It was good pay and a lot of fun." Lona lifted her necklace. It was hung with various charms carved from teeth and tusks. "Kept a souvenir from every kill."

Lona sighed. "I was sad when we ran out of monsters to hunt. So I boarded a boat looking for more."

Finn smiled and started rubbing the edges of the cross hanging from his neck. This Lona reminded him a lot of his master in a certain way.
“I appreciate your honesty, Lona. You have a fury inside you that you’ve pointed at the manifestations of evil. I would be honored to follow you into battle. My healing words shall see that your sun never sets before it’s time.”

Finn looks to Knot. “The same shall be said for you, Knot. I know a couple spells for mending that shall benefit you if harm falls.”

It may have been an effect brought on by the Elven Spirits, but Lona blushed slightly at the compliment. "Thank you." She endeavored to finish her meal, but the drink would remain unfinished. "You all seem like decent folk, I'd be glad of the help."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back