• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Exalted Essence - To Kill A Primordial - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Do we know what kind of Exalt that the Servant is? Besides an Abyssal, that is.

To answer Sherwood's question, what is the weight limit of the spell Travel Without Distance? I don't remember what it is.

To answer Sherwood's question, what is the weight limit of the spell Travel Without Distance? I don't remember what it is.
It doesn't mention there being a weight limit in the Essence Corebook, though that might just mean you can't teleport cargo with it.

Did you give up on character creation, Eonivar Eonivar ?

How do these look for hearthstones, Psychie Psychie ?

Crafted from the bound soul of the Ys Sorcerer who owned the Martyr in life, when this pearlescent dark sphere seething with angry purples and reds is cast to the ground, from it springs a towering image of the attuned thirty metres tall. By concentrating, the attuned may speak and act through this image, their voice easily audible out to Extreme range. The image is visible but immaterial, and cuts through obscuring smoke, darkness, and other visibility limiting factors. Social Influence to instill emotional ties towards the attuned, issue commands, or intimidate suffer no multiple target penalty. If the attuned would gain the benefits of Cruel Banquet from Social Influence through this image, they may choose to convert any number of received motes of Essence into Will. Once the stone is picked up, the image disappears.

This wickedly sharp fragment of black labyrinth obsidian is matte black in light but seems to shimmer with anti-colours when in darkness. It laces the attuned's words with the entropic power of the Neverborn. When targets outright refuse attempts to instill ties of negative emotions like Fear, Hatred, Despair, etc instead of accepting a Hard Bargain, the Attuned gains successes instead of dice and may gift these successes to any other character in the scene to spend on any roll they choose. They expire at the end of the scene if unspent as normal. A player may only hold one set of banked successes from this effect at a time.

Prerequisites: Tiger's Dread Symmetry, Heart-Stopping Mien, Essence 3
Spend 1m on Step 5 if in combat, or to enhance a Social Influence roll to Intimidate out of combat. Add two dice to the damage inflicted by Heart-Stopping Mien.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to pull a fast one, so let me lay out what I'm doing here so you can veto it. The Martyr is like a terrifying psychic environmental hazard. Since fear triggers Cruel Banquet, and she inflicts soak ignoring damage when she inflicts fear, and Cruel Banquet can be triggered as many times as you like in combat, every round she can intimidate every target that can see or hear her and:

For each target, if she exceeds their Resolve with her Social Influence roll
  • They take soak ignoring damage.
  • She gains motes for each one whose resolve is beaten. The stronger each target is, the more motes she gains. The Magi's Hubris lets her convert those into Will if she overflows motes, because she can't possibly spend all the motes she'll be gaining in large battles.
  • They either have to accept her intimidation and ties of Fear, accept a Hard Bargain, or Refuse.
  • If they Refuse, Heartrending Shard of Oblivion lets her hand her net successes on the Social Influence roll to another player for use on any roll they like, including attack and damage rolls, for each target who Refuses.
  • If they accept a Tie of Fear, her future influence rolls become easier and they take more damage from them.
  • Her Primary Artifact, the Black Nadir Sutra, means if they accept a Tie of Fear, they take penalties to Soak against her allies for so long as she has motes to fuel the effect. See the second bullet.
The Martyr's main weakness is she has no defensive Charms whatsoever, and weak personal defenses. Her other main weakness is enemies who are immune to Fear or Social Influence in general, like mindless automata. She's a horrifying offensive monster of a glass cannon. She relies on her battlegroup to protect her, as well as other players. The more enemies she's up against, the stronger she gets, but the more likely they burn through her defences and kill her immediately - if they understand the danger she poses. So I guess her other, other main weakness is assassins, for which she'll have to rely on the Prince to protect her.

Edit: Her damage wouldn't represent actual physical harm. The rules indicate damage can be morale damage as well, so anyone incapacitated by the Martyr would presumably surrender or become catatonic with fear or despair.

Last edited:
Wow. Remind me not to get you pissed off at my character! Lol. That's some impressive stuff there.

I'm honestly not sure the rules should permit this, but I've searched and haven't found anything forbidding it. I think whoever wrote Cruel Banquet and Heart Stopping Mien completely forgot that Social Influence could be multi-target. Maybe when we actually put it into play we'll see that it isn't as bad as it looks - I might run out of things to intimidate enemies into doing that they can't claim as Unacceptable Influence. Anyone with a Major Virtue of Courage for example could probably claim almost any kind of Intimidation that wasn't extremely carefully worded as Unacceptable, which seems a little off to me, but them's the rules. I can't elevate Minor ties to Major in a single scene, but I can stack Fear, Despair, Mistrust etc all at Minor, and if an enemy comes back to face us again I can upgrade them to Major.

On the upside, if the enemy wants to Refuse all my influence, the Voice and the Prince will have a lot of cap-breaking successes to apply to their damage or attack rolls 😄.

I kinda want to use Ebon Lightning Flash to just pop in and dynamic entry the Servant off his horse, but I have to head off to work very soon, and the Prince needs to have more power than him to use the Charm anyway.

Have a good shift at work. This isn't going to end up being a full-fledged fight; after all, it is a bunch of soldiers against you since the Servant is not going to be going for blood against you. Just describe the general approach you wish to make and I'll describe the scene as it unfolds.

I apologize for not getting back sooner I do have the character made, I just need to get him on.

I have put the initial stuff for Adame in the character section. I am still on the fence about their charms and am open to any suggestions. I could also use ideas and suggestions for Merits as well and feedback on their story. I need to go back to bed. I will update more tomorrow.

I have put the initial stuff for Adame in the character section. I am still on the fence about their charms and am open to any suggestions. I could also use ideas and suggestions for Merits as well and feedback on their story. I need to go back to bed. I will update more tomorrow.
Getting into Merits, I'd suggest you look at getting some Artifact Armor and a Weapon, and probably a hearthstone of some sort.

Halting the Scarlet Flow is a good Charm to have, giving you a powerful healing ability to stay active in a nasty fight, and Flow Like Blood is a good defensive Charm.

Getting into Merits, I'd suggest you look at getting some Artifact Armor and a Weapon, and probably a hearthstone of some sort.
How do I go about making artifacts? Are there any good ones I should take? The options on the book are very few and limited.

How do I go about making artifacts? Are there any good ones I should take? The options on the book are very few and limited.
There's a section in the book devoted to making new Charms, Artifacts, and Evocations. You can also find homebrew artifacts for Essence online.

Ah! I see you woke up today and chose murder instead of trickery 😆. We probably can't ever have enough murder in an Abyssal game.

Ah! I see you woke up today and chose murder instead of trickery 😆. We probably can't ever have enough murder in an Abyssal game.
Well in the interest of party balance I thought another murderer type would be handy here. I just wish I could take a few more charms.

Well in the interest of party balance I thought another murderer type would be handy here. I just wish I could take a few more charms.
You're E3 with 13 Charms 😂. Ordinary Essence characters start with 4! Well, I'm sure we'll get you more soon enough.

You can never have enough Charms. Never. I'm just glad that we have the bunch that we do in this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back