Other Do You Use "Fancy" Vocab?

I like to use fancy words to make myself appear smart. Photosynthesis. BAM.

Nah, in writing I tend to use eloquent or wordy words (whut) sporadically. I'm not typically audible with them though.

I use it when my partner prefers loner responses and I don't know what else to say, I make the sentences longer with the more descriptive words.

I like to use fancy words to make myself appear smart. Photosynthesis. BAM.

Nah, in writing I tend to use eloquent or wordy words (whut) sporadically. I'm not typically audible with them though.

A friend of mine once said "photosynthesis" in a sentence to sound smart, too. XD

It depends on the situation for me I guess. For example, I could've replaced "situation" with "scenario" or "guess" with "suppose" in my first sentence and it would've sounded much more verbose, but that'd be pointless since I'm writing a casual response to a thread, not writing an essay for a college application.
If I'm presenting or having conversations with well-education people or people I want to make an impression on, I'll speak in a way that makes me sound more eloquent. Otherwise, I'll just talk in a casual manner. It keeps things simple and I don't run the risk of sounding pretentious.

My mother was an english teacher so all the time I say some random word an all ma friends are like-….. what? //OvO// *flips table*

I usually use complex words in research and argumentative papers, not necessarily to demonstrate the fact I can use them, but because it's the appropriate word to use when factoring in my audience, subject matter, and manner of writing. This applies to the way I talk as well.

I love to learn new words, and I often try to use a new word at least once in conversation. However, as an introvert, I'm less inclined to use complex words when talking to my peers.

As someone who is interested in both writing and philosophy, plus having been a bookworm as a child, I find myself simply naturally slipping "fancy" words into my posts and conversations. This mostly occurs either when I'm trying to diverse a post so that I don't repeat the same words over and over again (not that I never do that for the sake of being more expressive about certain aspects of the character's mindset) or when I'm trying to be specific about the implications of the words I am using.

I used to say or write fancy words in Portuguese(my native language) when I was younger, but my mother said that I sounded uncanny and that it'd be better if I stopped. I was confused at the time, but I realized that sometimes people feel that you're more approachable when you speak the way they do.

Nowadays I usually adapt my way of speaking according to the people I'm with.

I think it really depends on who I'm talking to and what we're talking about. I can thank my habit of reading anything and everything for giving me a pretty large vocabulary, but I usually don't use "fancy" words in every day conversations. I usually keep that vocabulary for when I'm speaking in class discussions or writing papers. It really just depends on the situation.

I tend to use the fancy words whenever I'm trying to be serious, otherwise I speak very casually. People tend to give me funny looks otherwise. That makes it awkward. So awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back