Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

Guy here. I play both males and females always trying to balance the amount with the other rps. If we have the same amount on both sides I usually go with female because I think roleplay is about being what you are not on the real world and what not.

Have you seen the number of beautiful female anime faceclaims?

There's just so many, dude. I can't stop myself from using them.

Honestly, I play both sides of the spectrum, though I tend toward males usually. I prefer to create tragic heroes and anti-heroes. You know, people destined for death because they would rather waste their lives hunting for revenge and/or vengeance than move on or do something productive, creating an eternal spiral of revenge until eventually the two sides of the spiral crash in a firey explosion, killing and maiming everyone, both those dear to them and people who weren't even connected to the spiral.

And to be frank, I can't really see a woman being that stupid.

Last edited:
I'd say I'm more comfortable portraying females, but I don't shy away from writing from the male perspective. It allows me to express myself in a different way and to explore and push my creative limits. It also just broadens my understanding of humans in general since I try to get into the actual psyche of the person I'm crafting. I feel like there's such an emphasis on gender when there really doesn't need to be. I'd say, I'd prefer to be gender flexible and be adept in switching from one perspective into another. But I don't mind role-playing with people who have fixed gender preferences. To each their own, you know.

i almost exclusively play male characters. i have such a difficult time making my female characters diverse ?

This may be like stereotyping, but I usually play chaotic neutral or antagonistic roles when playing a male, while I play some form of misfit protagonist when playing a female.

When it comes to fandom, playing fandom characters, I usually prefer males. Just OCs end up being female.
I cosplay males more often, too.

I can't really tell why, though, it is a bit weird.

can't seem to get the hang of writing a lot purely gal characters myself nowadays, which is weird because i used to roleplay mainly females, and now all of the sudden it's totally switched. i've learned not to force it, because honestly, there isn't anything worse than getting stuck playing a character you don't want to play. i think it's important to have diverse cast in fictional media, and most of the time it's more enjoyable that way, but as for roleplay i don't see the reason to stress on it too much. i think i actually have more non-binary characters than i do female!

I'm a female and usually play female, but I do enjoy writing males as well! Though, I admit I'm not very experienced and haven't written male characters very often. I want to get better at it, but I get conflicted because a lot of times I want to write females, haha.

vxios vxios I agree with you on not wanting to force it. Sometimes, I forced it because even though I was losing interest in the character I was writing, I liked the story I was creating with my partner and wanted to keep continuing it. In the end, I just had to stop writing it because I wasn't happy. I'm trying my best to remember that sometimes I have to focus on what I want instead of trying to always make sure I'm keeping my partner happy.

how does what work?
How do you struggle to create a variety of personalities in one gender but not the other? My view is, the gender doesn't determine the personality. I have my preferences for sure. But what if you applied some of the personalities you make for males to females?

In the 7 years i have been roleplaying, I have Never Played a female Character, I have no clue why, I find it easier to play as a character, when all else fails, just kinda base the character after myself. Lately i have been thinking about making a female character, but just haven't had the time, nor could find a Roleplay where i could use one.

How do you struggle to create a variety of personalities in one gender but not the other? My view is, the gender doesn't determine the personality. I have my preferences for sure. But what if you applied some of the personalities you make for males to females?

i find myself biased towards my own personality traits in females and they end up sounding like me when i’m finished, regardless of how i intended them to be. harder for me to disconnect with my own gender, i guess, so i just stick to males [shrug]

I only tend to play females cause I'm a female myself and... I dunno how to write men well and I just prefer rping as a female really

I typically roleplay as a male character since I am one myself, but I have played female characters before and still do. In some cases I prefer it and others I do not. Depends on the situation and what character of mine I think will fit the most.

I honestly prefer to play as a male character, I'm not 100% sure onto why but there is just this level of comfort when I play as a male. Y'know, though I usually go by female pronouns. But a reason could be when I had started out role playing for the first time when I was younger every role I was a part of had a lot of female characters to the point where I felt the need to try and be a male as a bad attempt to even the role play out (even though now that you think of it all characters are generally different and gender doesn't necessarily have to matter) and from that point I just kinda enjoyed playing as males more that females.

I enjoy playing both genders, but honestly I tend to prefer playing males. I think this originated from being more or less "forced" to play male (not that I minded, but most people tend to want to play the female in a mxf pairing). I did it so much that I actually came to prefer the role and my male characters to playing my females.

Anime is ALL about the girls, so it's hard when looking for anime character concepts and faceclaims to use. Most of the males look the same, yet most the girls look so uniquely different

I make a conscious effort to mix it up.

It extends to race as well. Color race, not physical race. It's hard to find black anime characters though, especially black male

I enjoy playing both genders equally and have satisfaction in writing for all sorts of characters. It's come to my realization lately that a lot of people will only play their own gender in such tales.

I prefer playing the opposite gender, actually. It's a challenge and I love challenges. Trying to play a guy really opens you up to new possibilities and it broadens your understanding on how guys think opposite to girls. RPing as a girl is easy, since I am a girl and know all the kinks, but a guy is a definite obstacle in terms of writing so I prefer creating male characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back