Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

Yes, occasionally I play the opposite gender. I definitely don't mind, gives me a shift in paradigm.

I definitely have my own fair share of game accounts playing as girls and boys. While I am female myself, and when given the option, I do usually prefer playing as a girl, but playing as a cute boy isn't something I'll complain of either. I just have to take a look at myself in the mirror and tell myself "Ayye, lookin' good" and go on to break everyone's hearts because I'm too in love with mysel- okay, well, that was only on my Persona 5 file.

With RPing, I do have more guys than girls OCs. I just find it more fun creating characters of the opposite gender and playing as them. No idea why. ╮(╯∀╰)╭

I usually play both, yes! it gets rather boring when you roleplay as a Male all the time; it's no fun. Haha. Plus, playing as both sides of sex really does improve a roleplay storyline all the time in my book!

As a girl it's (SURPRISE) easier for me to play a girl. Mindblowing I know. I do have some male characters I quite enjoy but admittedly my inspiration tends to skew more female, when I do have a good male concept I generally do OK with them but it's definitely a minority of my menagerie.

Out of my 35 (and growing) character roster, only like three or four of them are males. I don't mind playing males, it's just that whenever I have a character idea, I always imagine them as female, and that always sticks.

Besides, I'm a big yuri fan, so that also goes without saying :xFtongue:

I actually thought this was a thing, but seems like it's just my group of friends? We're all female, but everyone prefers playing males, me included.

Sometimes but not always. I just picture most of my OCs female. I absolutely do not mind playing male I just enjoy playing female alot more. especially because I'm bad at doing male characters because from first glance they sound like hArdCorE eDgY roadmen so...

When I was younger I had a lot of female OCs that I used (and still do), but the past couple years I'd had a lot more male OCs, probably having a lot to do with that was a little after the time I came out as Transgender (ftm) and feeling more comfortable portraying male characters.

I've been playing mostly guys for years! I absolutely love it. I like to write about women/girls every once in a while, but they're usually in supporting roles.

I play both genders. It really depends on my mood. But in general, the personality is more important.

I don't think that male and female are opposites. And i'm pretty skeptical of the gender binary since neither psych nor biology really supports it.

I do play female characters most often, but that's because I feel that our society's default-to-male norms give more opportunity for interesting conflict with female characters than with male characters and I'm not sure I'm up to playing a genderqueer character well. I may try to play a genderfluid character again at some point.

Writing all genders has always seemed like an obvious default to me, because it's hard to tell a rich story when you can only write characters of one gender, but I do see where other people are coming from. I think many people see their own gender as a default.

I do play female characters most often, but that's because I feel that our society's default-to-male norms give more opportunity for interesting conflict with female characters

I do find myself tending toward writing male characters, and I believe that is part of what you mentioned here with men being seen as the default, but I also think some of the types of settings I gravitate toward contribute to that. Nevertheless, I also like to challenge societal norms in my writing male characters by writing men who are vulnerable and gentle while still being tough and just overall have multiple layers to their personality. Like onions.

I usually prefer male characters as I feel like I have an easier time writing for one. I will play female characters sometimes but I admit that it can feel a bit awkward since I'm a dude. Maybe I need more experience with them but I always feel more comfortable with males.

I'm a male, and I've played mostly male characters. I've tried roleplaying as a female character before, but somehow or rather, I just can't get into the psyche of a female character. Also, I'm not sexist or anything, and in fact I marvel and admire those guys that can pull off successful female characters.

I've generally have written females, but have been expanding into writing males. It seemed odd at first, but I have gotten comfortable doing it and don't give it much thought anymore.

Well, I used to roleplay only as a girl, but then we needed more boy character in one of my friends roleplay and from that moment foward I have roleplayed with both. I still usuallu make a girl character first and then boy charater if there is need for more characters

I prefer playing a girl, but I like to play a male as well. I find that it helps with creativity and pushes boundaries.

I like playing my gender, only because it makes it easier when the roleplaying. But like I can play the other gender, I just choose against it.

Normally I play as female characters but I also don't mind playing a male character... Though overall if I had a choice of what gender normally I go female unless forced other wise.

I'm not picky. I have a wide range of males and females and, in cases where I fill in for a new character, I pick the less represented gender that also fits in the context. It doesn't matter a huge amount to me either way.

Nothing to do with being a genderless demonspawn...

I'm a male, and I've played mostly male characters. I've tried roleplaying as a female character before, but somehow or rather, I just can't get into the psyche of a female character. Also, I'm not sexist or anything, and in fact I marvel and admire those guys that can pull off successful female characters.
I'm not too good at it but generally you just have to forget the fact their female half the time. Rely more on their personality rather than gender, but some gender specific things emotionally are worth noting.

Actually, I was originally taught to RP as a male character. Mind, I always had the voice for them, but back when I started roleplaying on the WeeWorld forums, there were only about twelve active roleplayers and their was always a HUGE imbalance between males and females in any given game. (And considering most of the RPers only played MxF, it created a problem in terms of romantic subplots.) One of the members approached me after having read my writing and offered to teach me how to roleplay if I would play male for one of her RPs. I agreed, and pretty much all my characters were female, except when I roleplayed with one of the two guys. The characters I play tend to differ in gender based on the ideas I have for a given setting or plotline.

I'm a female, but I have found writing males has always been my preference. I write such diverse characters when they're male, I can really branch out and not put aspects of of myself in them too much.

But I can't not make female characters some version of me, and thus there's less creative liberties and it just gets boring when it's too personal. It's a flaw of mine actually!

The reason I don't write as males so much is because they are always gobbled up by those who only write female. And I don't like writing a lot of romance especially from a male's perspective at all. So I don't get to write as them as much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back