• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom (Closed for now) An RP thread based off Pokemon Platinum

Oh hands down John would be one of the ones who would need to be forcibly dragged onto stage. Due to his connection with Cynthia the poor boy is already skittish enough when going into heavily populated cities (Jubilife is going to be fun!). So by placing him on stage surrounded by both Pokémon enthusiasts and reporters. Not mention that this is Sinnoh we're talking about; the one place he'll easily be recognized. Yeahhhh he's pretty much signing his own death warrant if he'd agreed to compete. (Oh don't worry I'll be making him compete... does that make me a monster? 😆)

at least Oliver can help him get over a bit of his stage fright and help him plan for contest move combinations and poffin flavors for his competing pokemon (or at least, try to).

I will admit to having a level 100 Zoroark in my Omega Ruby file. 👉 👈 I raised him since he was but a level 2 bundle of adorable. He's kind of my heavy hitter, unless of course I feel like using my Bisharp, also level 100, who I raised from an Egg since I had to GTS a Pawniard in, who came from someone in France. I'm in the process of leveling a Houndoom and Magmortar, currently. I think they're both in the 40's.

Also, I was debating giving Vincent a Legendary, but I was unsure which one would be good for him, seeing as Darkrai was taken already. Then again, he's going to be getting a Pseudo-Legendary (Hydreigon) and a Semi-Pseudo-Legendary (Zoroark), so... I feel it kind of works out in a way.

On my FireRed save I raised my starter Charmander to level 100. I refused to evolve him and now he's a tiny fireball of death!

I still have my GTS-traded shiny 100 battle-ready accelgor. he's my prized pokemon, though i'm still mad that in summer camp my friend played a bit of my black/black 2 file, went into chargestone cave, and a shiny ferroseed was the very 1st encounter. even though they caught it, i was still very salty because i've never encountered a shiny pokemon. at all.

Oh hands down John would be one of the ones who would need to be forcibly dragged onto stage. Due to his connection with Cynthia the poor boy is already skittish enough when going into heavily populated cities (Jubilife is going to be fun!). So by placing him on stage surrounded by both Pokémon enthusiasts and reporters. Not to mention that this is Sinnoh we're talking about; the one place he'll easily be recognized. Yeahhhh he's pretty much signing his own death warrant if he'd agreed to compete. (Oh don't worry I'll be making him compete... does that make me a monster? 😆)

Pftt! You are placing your character out of his comfort zone so it’s not... all bad. Besides, I definitely can imagine him and Anemone relating with each other about stage fright even if it’s for different reasons with Anemone not being famous but not good with the spotlight and such. Plus it could be interesting to see what happens. Like he accidentally wins and gets a ribbon and is here like .-. “... I don’t need this.”

Speaking of, to everyone, what’s the plan for how contests and battles are going to go? Like battles with NPCs and such could be an automatic win for PCs or the occasional lost for character growth but what about battles between roleplayers? How do we decide who wins those?

And contests? How are those going to go? Cause I know there are quite different in the games and anime and want to see if we’re on the same page while discussing ^^ Not to mention with the competition being more limited with ribbons, it could lead to interesting NPC competitors as well

And speaking of Pokemon I.... don’t actually have anyone I particularly cherish atm. Mostly because it’s been awhile since I’ve played Pokemon ^^; But I do applaud you guys for the bond you have with your Pokemon ^^

I will also admit that the face my Zoroark makes when I pet his head in Pokémon-Amie is kind of precious because of how happy he gets.

I have a few shiny Pokémon in my Omega Ruby save that I received over trade. My all time favorite Pokémon is a shiny Gardevoir that I own. Definitely what inspired my character to have one of his own. I also own shiny versions of Charizard, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, Dialga, Darkrai, and Arceus. Though their authenticity can be highly debated. In my life I have only seen 3 legitimate shiny's and I had successfully caught two of the tree. My first was a shiny Caterpie I got during one of my Playthroughs of FireRed. Incredibly lucky with that one because I found it when you first make your way on through Viridian Forest. The second one I caught was in Emerald and it was shiny Golbat that I found when climbing Sky Pillar. Sadly i lost those two because I transfered them over to Platinum and the save file on there got corrupted. The third shiny I found was in either White or White 2 I dont remember but its when Bianca teams up with you to get through a cave. Anyways came across a shiny Boldore and Bianca just decimated it before my eyes... it is a tragedy that I relive every day.

Ah, the perks of timezones. Good morning lads! Just caught up with the conversation. A contest arc would be great fun! I could see Kasey joining it just for the sake of competition even though his roster isn't exactly stylish.

I think I saw a conversation about cherished Pokémon. It's Furret. Was half-way through breeding a battle ready one when shiny sentret popped out of an egg. Needless to say I still use my candy cane looking fluff noodle.

I've never actually found a legitimate shiny, ever. I've played Emerald, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and as of a couple of months ago, Omega Ruby, but not once have I ever found a shiny that wasn't modded. Then again, I realize how rare those are.

As for Vincent, his Pokémon's movesets are more about type diversity in battle.

I once found a shiny Shinx in Platinum ironically. But I was too young to understand my luck and just went “n a h.” and ran away. I... am very disappointed in myself until this day.

But hm... don’t know what Anemone’s strength would be. I would say Type diversity along with some creativity in using moves depending on how we have battles go and such as well as contests.

Oh and to answer your question Stitches and Patchwork Stitches and Patchwork in the case of npc's vs characters losses will occur, especially against gym leaders and the such, in order to promote character growth and add a little drama.

As for character vs character the victor will be determined by the two who are having their characters battle against each others.

As for contests it would be more like the anime. It's more exciting and dramatic when characters have to compete for a single ribbon. Of course whoever wins will be decided amongst the competitors.

Just wish I knew a way how to randomize the choice on who wins and loses. Unless any of you know a way how. I could always just flip a coin and let fate decide haha.

Oh and to answer your question Stitches and Patchwork Stitches and Patchwork in the case of npc's vs characters losses will occur, especially against gym leaders and the such, in order to promote character growth and add a little drama.

As for character vs character the victor will be determined by the two who are having their characters battle against each others.

As for contests it would be more like the anime. It's more exciting and dramatic when characters have to compete for a single ribbon. Of course whoever wins will be decided amongst the competitors.

Just wish I knew a way how to randomize the choice on who wins and loses. Unless any of you know a way how. I could always just flip a coin and let fate decide haha.

there's always randomization sites. like this one

Maybe it's my personal philosophy but the journey has always been more important than the destination. Meaning I love a well written battle more than the outcome. Kasey's team has hindering abilities and lots of weaknesses on purpose. So, I'm more than willing (/expecting) to take losses. Especially in the 'early game' so to speak.

In short, if anyone needs a wins for development. Confidence boost, mid-battle evolution, and the like to name a few. Hit me up :closed eyes open smile:

As far as losses go, Vincent would more than likely continue his "Gym Leader Personality" act and congratulate the victor on a marvelous display, as he would if/when he does land the job in the distant future.

What I believe John excels is that he is more of a tactical thinker when he takes part in a battle and the moves his Pokémon know capitalizes on their personal strengths. Though that's also his downside as his Pokémon don't really have moves to combat Pokémon with type advantages... except his Garchomp...never underestimate a Garchomp

Oliver would take a bit to process the loss, they have a variety of reactions, but overall Oliver would be humble about the loss...unless she was really into the battle. Then they would be, um, quite salty for a bit (especially if it concerns the contests), but she can get over it.
As for the battles themselves, she didn't really account for weaknesses in their team's movesets, but the sheer variety of types that Oliver has certainly makes up for it. I hope.

Ah, I see!

I definitely agree that losses will be fun to explore since it definitely does spark very good character growth, allowing their character to see their weaknesses and improve on it like Paper mentioned! I'm just wondering how we will choose what battles will be lost but honestly, I think that can be settled during discussion. Like I definitely know want Anemone to lose a few battles to allow for growths in confidence and understanding that a loss doesn't mean the end. Only for a chance at improvement and becoming a more assertive and confident competitor (team-wise, I need to think of her weakness since my brain was just like "ooh type diversity and cool looking pokemon" but I can imagine her strength being her bond with Pokemon due to growing up learning how to care for a variety and finding them easier to communicate. Just her weakness is displaying this bond in battle due to her own doubts and insecurities).

Since her lack of confidence and nervousness definitely will be a fatal flaw during battles and contests I can imagine, especially if we follow anime stuff. Like I was looking over how contests were done in the anime as a refresher while making her and learned the battle rounds in contests were only five minutes. While I do think this would be difficult to accomplish roleplay wise, it could be interesting to see how this time limit enforces quick thinking and confidence as every second matters.

Awesome sauce! Well if you guys ever need any references for how contests work and such in the anime, I'm happy to provide information since I may or may not have been looking into them as of late while trying to figure out Anemone

Oh, and speaking of Pokémon not evolving, I also have a level 13 Espurr that I shower with affection, because issa cute kittycat, and part of me wants to keep them from evolving.

Ah, I see!

I definitely agree that losses will be fun to explore since it definitely does spark very good character growth, allowing their character to see their weaknesses and improve on it like Paper mentioned! I'm just wondering how we will choose what battles will be lost but honestly, I think that can be settled during discussion. Like I definitely know want Anemone to lose a few battles to allow for growths in confidence and understanding that a loss doesn't mean the end. Only for a chance at improvement and becoming a more assertive and confident competitor (team-wise, I need to think of her weakness since my brain was just like "ooh type diversity and cool looking pokemon" but I can imagine her strength being her bond with Pokemon due to growing up learning how to care for a variety and finding them easier to communicate. Just her weakness is displaying this bond in battle due to her own doubts and insecurities).

Since her lack of confidence and nervousness definitely will be a fatal flaw during battles and contests I can imagine, especially if we follow anime stuff. Like I was looking over how contests were done in the anime as a refresher while making her and learned the battle rounds in contests were only five minutes. While I do think this would be difficult to accomplish roleplay wise, it could be interesting to see how this time limit enforces quick thinking and confidence as every second matters.

Awesome sauce! Well if you guys ever need any references for how contests work and such in the anime, I'm happy to provide information since I may or may not have been looking into them as of late while trying to figure out Anemone

please send me those references, as i am DYING to know how the anime handels the sinnoh ones. i can barely find any info on bulbapedia for sinnoh contests

☝ I second this. I... only got back into Pokémon once I bought my digital copy of Omega Ruby a couple of months ago, so I've watched pretty much none of the anime in a long, long time.

What I believe John excels is that he is more of a tactical thinker when he takes part in a battle and the moves his Pokémon know capitalizes on their personal strengths. Though that's also his downside as his Pokémon don't really have moves to combat Pokémon with type advantages... except his Garchomp...never underestimate a Garchomp

To add to this a loss for John is a mixed bag of emotions. On one hand he is grateful for any battle as it helps him build a stronger relationship with his Pokémon. If he wins then hey he's clearly doing something right and if it's a loss then he'll take his time to contemplate his mistakes and learn from them. However, it does have a slight psychological toll on him. Of course he knows that losses are inevitable such is the way of a Pokémon trainer. Though for him it feels as though as each loss tarnishes his mothers name and that is his greatest fear, dragging Cynthia's name through the dirt. Of course this is something he'll have to overcome and he will have to learn that he is his own person.

Update: Contests in the anime where as heated as battling. They were sort of like giant festivals and characters had to carefully plan out their performances, whereas in the game you merely had to match your moves with the category you were in. For the first round coordinators would dress up along with their Pokémon and the Coordinators would have show off their Pokemon's abilities in a fantastic performance. Those who would win would move onto the next round where coordinators would have to battle each other via a randomized bracket system. Even then the battles where more about performance rather than overcoming your opponent with brute force. And unlike in the games where you could retry if you lost it was an all or nothing gambit to win. If you did lose then all you could do was move onto the next town that held a contest and pray to win.

Last edited:
please send me those references, as i am DYING to know how the anime handels the sinnoh ones. i can barely find any info on bulbapedia for sinnoh contests
☝ I second this. I... only got back into Pokémon once I bought my digital copy of Omega Ruby a couple of months ago, so I've watched pretty much none of the anime in a long, long time.

I gotchu -w-

This video is just a quick rundown on contests in general and how Sinnoh's contests differ as well as the growth the coordinators in the anime went through.

As for footages of how contests themselves went:
This video is showing an example of how an act for the first round in the contest would go with Pokemon coordinators having their Pokemon moves in creative and stylish ways to create a spectacle for the audience, rather than just battling.

This video is a part of a Pokemon contest battle in the second round of the contest. It's not the full thing but I think it does show accurately how Pokemon coordinators can lose despite not having their Pokemon completely knocked out.

This video is also another battle though it does employ a concept that Sinnoh introduced which is having the trainers use two Pokemon instead of one in the rounds, leading to fun combinations and more factors at play. Plus it's the full battle this time so yeh!

I guess last is this amv I found for the Sinnoh Grand Festival. There's unfortunately not a lot of videos on the Performance rounds in the anime even those I found were pretty cool with Pokemon moves being used in an unconventional manner. So this AMV was the best I could find since it shows some of the performance rounds, albeit only parts with no audio but still.

And I guess other than that, there is the list of cities the Sinnoh contests were held in on Bulbapedia which can help with planning the contest arc out to allow the contests to be properly spread out. Hope this helps ^^

Oh, and speaking of Pokémon not evolving, I also have a level 13 Espurr that I shower with affection, because issa cute kittycat, and part of me wants to keep them from evolving.

Hey! It's your choice! I remember growing up I was the exact opposite. I just really loved the idea of evolving Pokemon. It just seemed so cool that like "oh my gosh. They look different now" and lose my mind over it. But like Espurr is adorable bab and I can definitely see why it's a struggle to evolve it

Also, reading over John's character definitely makes him intriguing, I definitely look forward to seeing how he grows and changes during the plot and interacts with the others!

quadraxis201 quadraxis201 cant believe i just realized this, especially since it's one of my favorite series but your profile pic, and name, is of the metroid prime 2 boss!

quadraxis201 quadraxis201 cant believe i just realized this, especially since it's one of my favorite series but your profile pic, and name, is of the metroid prime 2 boss!

Personally I prefer the boss of the Dark Torvus Bog, Chykka, but to each their own

Users who are viewing this thread

Back