Other Character recycling/reusing/multi-rp-ing....?

CathNye

Unlucky Member
Hey there RPers! How's the RP?

New here... making some promising connections... but as I'm getting my RP set up, I find myself wondering if it's okay to use the same character in multiple RPs? Is that 'socially' acceptable? Is it boring? How about using an old character and putting them somewhere new? Is it better to just make a new character every time? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I've used the same (with some changes to his backstory, though the rest remained mostly the same) character in 2 different RPs, though they were in the same setting for that matter, and I asked the RP creators if that was fine beforehand. That's the best I can offer in regards to personal experience and it being "socially" acceptable.

I don't really find it boring. If you like a character and he's well-written, why would you not want to recycle him? Especially if you had a promising idea for him but the previous RPs he was in didn't let you explore his potential. And why would other RPers want to oppose this? I can't see sensible reasons for it, other than wanting to stay "unique" and whatnot, at the cost of making someone play a different character which they're not as confident in using or making.

If someone's that averse/fearful of being labelled a recycler or of being denied participation in an RP for it, they can simply hide the fact that they're doing so. But then they may be caught if someone stalks their profile, you say? Well, what's stopping them from taking a character as base, changing superficial things like appearance and name, tweaking his personality ever-so-slightly, changing the wording but not the core meaning of the whole profile, and claiming he's an entirely new being? You can only go so far in attempting to be unique anyway, there are so many characters out there that there's bound to be similar traits between any one of your OCs to characters writen many years ago, and that's completely fine.

The idea gets a twist if you're using them on a different setting, because some part of the backstory will most likely have to be changed (unless you're doing universe-travelling shenanigans), which may erase an important event that shaped his personality, causing that to be altered too. But regardless, I don't think recycling should be discouraged at all if it means more chances of a promising character/writer participating in an RP. What matters is how the character was written and if you have past RPs with that character, chances are you might've improved your writing with him.

I've recycled characters before, and still do, especially if they're fleshed out. I just don't play the character in two different RPs because then it'll get confusing for me an I may slip.

Yeah I mean as long as you aren't playing the same character in two active roleplays and they fit in all the roleplays you put them in there is no harm in recycling.

Recycle away, in my opinion. I personally can't do this if it was a character I developed specifically for a given roleplay, but would do it with an OC created outside the framework of a particular roleplay. If the character takes root more in my head than they do in whatever verse I've put them in so far, they can go wherever. So to the question "Is it better to make a new character every time?" my answer is "If you want to". There aren't really any set rules for this, unless the people you're roleplaying with take issue with it, in which case they're not the people for you unless you're perfectly comfortable creating a new character.
The only red flag I could possibly think of is that the OC who's constantly in every roleplay might be a self-insert, which is dangerous if the roleplayer is overly attached to them.

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts on the matter!

I came here with quite a few OCs that have no homes at the moment. I do have a favourite. When I first joined, it was that character I was trying to find RP for. There have been a few people who replied to my initial genre/setting interest post.... and I'm working out setting details with them. However, by the opinions offered here, despite looking for a home for a specific OC, I may have to pick and choose where i actually put the character.

That unfortunately means reworking some plot I'd brainstormed up to fit with various OCs.

I guess my follow up question would be... what if I put my OC in an RP that doesnt pan out? Or I find another that would suit the OC better?

In "social" terms, it's perfectly ok to recycle. Of course, whichever the case, it's best to ask the GM of the roleplay (if it is a group roleplay) or your partner if you're doing a 1x1 whether they are ok with you using a prebuilt OC. There is nothing wrong with it and many people do it, so it's really up to your own personal preference and that of whoever you happen to work with at any given time.

Personally I'm not a fan of it, but even I have done it a couple times. If you end up using an OC though, always and I mean always, make sure it really fits the setting you're putting them into!

As for your newest questions...

what if I put my OC in an RP that doesnt pan out?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, so here go the answers to both:

1. If by "doesn't pan out" you mean an RP where your OC doesn't fit, then the answer is don't. If your OC is not compatible with a certain roleplay, it's best if you don't put your OC there altogether. Either use a different OC or come up with a new character.

2.If by "doesn't pan out" you mean a roleplay that doesn't last or dies, well you're already repurposing the OC anyway, so you can do it again and there won't be any bigger a complaint.

Or I find another that would suit the OC better?
Then use the OC on that one two. Unless the two roleplays are somehow related, again it's just repurposing. It might be disturbing to a few people who are on both roleplays or who aren't very keen to the idea of re-used characters but nomatter what you do you can't please everyone.

I usually reuse characters when I'm redoing the same rp but there's one character I've used quite a few times in different rps.

I just asked this same question in another thread. *pulls up chair*

I had an idea that if I would like to focus on a few pre built OCs in order to explore them more and really get into character as well as develop the character. I guess it's the difference between 1 nighters and a Marriage.

You can do what you like honestly. If you have a character you love that you can put in different settings, if they fit, why not? You'll be the one writing for them not anyone else.

For me, I do use some of the same characters but not in multiple roleplays going on all at once. I have many characters that can be on the back burner but when I have a good plot I'll put them in when needed. There are times when I want something new for a roleplay. You can use old characters, you can make new ones it all comes down to what you want to do.

it's not a problem to recycle your own characters as long as you don't use ideas of other people.

I don't recycle characters themselves but I have a 'pre-set personalities' that I like to play, so you could say I recycle them. They certaianly get adjusted to each specific rp but the base core is there.

And I'm considering to recycle a character from one of my first rp, out of nostalgia xD will need to tone it down though, it was so... exaggerated.. xD

I can only speak for myself as a GM, more experienced on other sites than here: I don't care if you're recycling a character, so long as they fit in with the world I'm making and the story that the rest of us are weaving. If your character hates orcs but there aren't any orcs in my world, I don't want him in my world. If your character hates orcs but, despite orcs being in my world, undead things are the main antagonist... Actually, I can use that, so long as you're willing to either allow your character to grow or allow him to die.

Generally speaking I'd rather you create a character from scratch to fit the world, however, if you're willing to change things about your character, anything is workable.

Everyone is making really good points! Thank you!

I just asked this same question in another thread. *pulls up chair*

I had an idea that if I would like to focus on a few pre built OCs in order to explore them more and really get into character as well as develop the character. I guess it's the difference between 1 nighters and a Marriage.

I find myself often using RP to flesh out an OC I've created for personal (just for fun) writing. It's a great way to find out the core of a character! Different settings, different events, different people... It really helps to understand a character.

it's not a problem to recycle your own characters as long as you don't use ideas of other people.

I don't recycle characters themselves but I have a 'pre-set personalities' that I like to play, so you could say I recycle them. They certaianly get adjusted to each specific rp but the base core is there.

And I'm considering to recycle a character from one of my first rp, out of nostalgia xD will need to tone it down though, it was so... exaggerated.. xD

THE NOSTALGIA. It's a real thing with characters! Yes. Some of our first characters MAY have been overdone... but if you love them, there's probably some things about them that make them great! Right?

You can do what you like honestly. If you have a character you love that you can put in different settings, if they fit, why not? You'll be the one writing for them not anyone else.

For me, I do use some of the same characters but not in multiple roleplays going on all at once. I have many characters that can be on the back burner but when I have a good plot I'll put them in when needed. There are times when I want something new for a roleplay. You can use old characters, you can make new ones it all comes down to what you want to do.

This is quite the common consensus - not to use the same character in multiple RPs at once. I'm not sure I understand what would upset people about doing so, but I think I'll try to avoid it.

I can only speak for myself as a GM, more experienced on other sites than here: I don't care if you're recycling a character, so long as they fit in with the world I'm making and the story that the rest of us are weaving. If your character hates orcs but there aren't any orcs in my world, I don't want him in my world. If your character hates orcs but, despite orcs being in my world, undead things are the main antagonist... Actually, I can use that, so long as you're willing to either allow your character to grow or allow him to die.

Generally speaking I'd rather you create a character from scratch to fit the world, however, if you're willing to change things about your character, anything is workable.

If i'm reusing an OC, I do my best to tailor them to fit the setting they'll be written in. Usually it involves some minor (or larger) changes to a backstory. This is an easy task if i know what sort of setting I'm walking into... If not? Then it's a bit more of a challenge. I'm almost always willing to tweak characters here and there.

Even if you're choosing to 'recycle' a character, is it really the same character you started with? I've used, and continue to occasionally reuse certain basic frameworks for a character. At the same time, the character is in a totally new situation, reacting to new events. Even if you've decided to keep their personality intact based on prior RP's, the new environment they're exposed to will force an evolution to adapt to the new situation, or you're not roleplaying at all. I take my basic 'rough loner' outline and modify it to fit the situation, effectively evolving a new character each time I use the basic framework. I don't consider this 'recycling' even though I start with certain basics per-determined.

I do this alllll the time. I always change their backstory, and even their personality, but I usually keep their same basic appearance the same. (Though all of my characters look very similar.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back