• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Four: Enlightenment and the Daughters of Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.
After returning Bren's bow Wolf had just been replying to Luna that he wasn't even sure Vardadraug left the cave with them all - but then his explanations were suddenly made void by the wolf's reappearance in Sparkle's company. He strides towards them and kneels next to Luna; doing it so close that their shoulders brush against each other. This makes him look at her with an apologetic smile but he says nothing of it, and instead reaches out to pet the wolf.

"Glad to see you both unharmed. And that there..." he says pointing at the glass object. "I daresay that looks quite familiar." The ranger reaches out to grab the globe but pauses mid-gesture. He hesitates, then draws back. "If that's what I think it is, then it's better off in your hands." he says to Luna.

Otiorin watched the triumphant return of the two mystical beasts and nodded.

"With these two, it's almost like you don't really need a Rogue like myself.", he spoke wistfully, before moving back to the edge of the clearing they'd entered from.

He swiftly clambered up into the branches of a tree, the better to watch for anything that might have kept pace with them.

Bren's incipient frown at the lack of Vardadraug is banished before it has properly begun, by the reappearance of that same little wolf and his cohort, Sparkle. Beaming with joy and a little pride in the small ones' accomplishment, he too runs to their side and ruffles Vardadraug's ears before stepping back to let Wolf and Luna have what space is available. (A pseudodragon and a wolf pup, after all, are not very big.) Catching sight of Otiorin heading upwards into the leaves, he nods approvingly. "Good thought! Ah..." He leans in, hearing the voices from the ball. "Well! Skaagenrackner, I think our smallest friends here have done the rescuing, while we larger ones became the distraction. But how, by all that's holy, are we to get them out of there?"

Luna sez,

"...Don't scare me like that again!"
to which Sparkle responds, Don't scare you like that?! I was the first one in their cave! Come down to my size sometime and try hiding from all of those--Ooooh! Belly rubs! Forget what I said! I love you all! Is the steak cooking yet? This was all Vardadraug's idea!

Vardadraug rolls around loving all this attention with his little happy puppy face and wagging tail. He replies, My wisdom on your wings! All I did was provide you the motivation you needed! Oh, it is so good to see you all again!

Is that what you call motivation? "Take the globe before Luna's enemy returns lest he use its awful powers upon her!" I am her familiar! How am I supposed to stay hidden and safe when you talk like that?!

How indeed! Wanderers, loud were the roars of dismay when they discovered Dubble Trubble's burning corpse! He was apparently their most-powerful warrior. Their laments were filled with many an angry curse!

Otiorin sez,

"With these two, it's almost like you don't really need a Rogue like myself."
Sparkle responds quickly to this. Are you kidding?! I cannot be a rogue! That took my last ounce of strength, not to mention my sanity! Thanks to our earlier trek together in discovering the ettin and this globe-stealing, I now have a brand-new and everlasting appreciation for the roguish things you do. Oh, for your strength and conviction and... ability to lift more than my body weight. From now on, I will only call you lazy when you are truly deserving! Tell me there is a steak dinner being prepared for Otiorin too!
As Otiorin mounts the nearest sturdy tree and makes his way up, his body trembles ever-so-slightly as if remembering the beating he was given the last time he was traveling upward through such branches. But soon, the feeling is gone, replaced by a splendid view of the forest toward the Wellspring of Change. His cunning quickly pays off. Not three-hundred yards away, above the trees back the way the Wanderers came, Otiorin's roguish eyes spot three small humanoid shapes flitting about on black wings, leaving smoky trails through the air. They look like little devils. The fliers are seeking something with a vengeance in the woods beneath them.

Skaagenrackner is nearly equal in height with Otiorin at the moment, but the craggy protector's attention is drawn downward toward the friendly reunion. Unlike Otiorin, Skaagenrackner does not see the fliers.

Down below where puppy fur is ruffled and draconic scales scratched, voices come from the crystal globe.

"You saved us!" "What a terrific plan! I bet he never saw it coming!" "Oh, cats and caterpillars! You're not here to do the same thing he was going to do with us, are you?!"

Looking at the majestic beauty of the globe, one is rewarded with the sight of three tremendously pretty young women. They clasp their hands, huddle close to each other, and wait expectantly for your answer.

Masamune_Shirow.jpg

(Image credit: www.mcanime.net)

Luna laughs at the scolding she is getting from Sparkle. "Yes, my sweet, you both have earned a steak dinner. Just give us a few moments to figure out what we have here with this crystal globe, ok?" She hefts the sphere and looks it over, wondering at its purpose. "Since I don't know what that evil spellcaster was planning, all I can do is assure you that I have your safety firmly in mind, and if I didn't, Skaagenrackner would squish me with a quickness. Now, please tell me in detail what has happened to you and what he was planning on doing. I need to know what I have to do to free you safely and not hurt you in the process."

Otiorin's sharp eyes caught sight of the three smoky apparitions and he turned back toward the clearing. With the speed and grace of his Elven ancestors, he dismounted the tree and raced back to the others, glancing back every few seconds.

"Everyone alert!", he said softly as he drew close, "Our foe has sent forth three little devil-like apparitions to seek us out. They are three hundred yards hence, trailing black smoke as they go. I do not think they are aware of us yet."

Luna looks in the direction that Otiorin indicated that the apparitions are coming from. "Quickly! Spread out and move away from the wagons. Until we know what we are facing, use the utmost caution. Focus ranged fire on one at a time until they close into melee range. Now lets hide and spring our own ambush on them! Sparkle, do you have the energy to sneak out and take a peek at these apparitions to see what they are and give me a heads-up as to where they are? If not, I won't have you push yourself and get hurt."

Cantrips: Read Magic, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, Detect Magic

Level 1: Burning Hands x2, Shocking Grasp

Level 2:

Level 3:

Level 4:

Force Missile x8

Mage Armor active - 2 hours left

Wolf too springs at attention, quick to ready his bow. He scours the surroundings for the best positions to take. "Everyone, it doesn't matter so much where you are, for as long as you're out of sight when these devils gets here. And I think Sparkle's done enough." He nods at his falcon. "Make yourself useful and scout the enemy's advance, Pecker. Yes, I know. Fish. Just fly!" That said, Wolf heads for the thickest tree on the opposite side from where the wellspring lies, intending to use it as cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bria and Powerpaw look up to Otiorin. At his words, Bria replies, "I didn't even think to watch our backs!" Bria gives Otiorin a well-earned look of appreciation.

"Good job, face!" Powerpaw adds. He puts his maul away and un-slings his large-sized composite longbow. Then he looks about in mild confusion, then turns to Bria. "Uh, what iz we doin'?"

Bria pauses. "'...Away from the wagons? But they're waaay down the hill. I guess we spread out on the hill opposite the wagons?"

"Uh, moar sounds good ta me!"

"Let's go!" And they move to that effect.

Sparkle wearily points at Wolf and sends yet again to everyone.
Yes! That, please!

To which Pecker sees the perfect opportunity to tease his pseudo-dragon friend. He flaps his wings, looks back at her, and chirps. "Yes! Stay here, slacker! I help mighty party! Your old bones rest!"

Sparkle glowers at him. If she were the fire-breathing variety of dragon, there would be smoke escaping from her mouth about now. I am so going to get you for that, you featherhead! Be careful!

"Yes, mom! You stay with Luna. With her, you safe. I fly! Help Wolf!" Pecker leaps up and takes to the air leaving the exhausted Sparkle grinning behind her.

Vardadraug wags his tail, raises his head, and sends, I can help! I can- He tries to rise only to fall limply with a thud to into Wolf's hands. Maybe I cannot.... Whoof... Oh, for another incarnation...

After a few moments, the sound of Pecker tweeting and calling can be heard from above. "Wolf! Smokies not coming this way! They lost for us!"

As Skaagenrackner slowly, quietly peers through the trees at your otherworldly pursuers, Luna's studies in spellcraft remind her that there is a highly-coveted item out there called a Globe of Entrapment. Though the young mage does not quite remember how it works, she does recall with clarity that it is best used to capture and contain magical creatures. There are only three methods to freeing whomever is inside, and while a Dispel Magic spell might work, a sure-handed rogue might work better, and the third alternative is not remembered by her.

"What do you mean, not coming this way?" Wolf stopped in his tracks when he heard Pecker reporting in. He glanced at his companions and said: "Apparently they're not coming this way." Then he turned his head back skywards and resumed talking to the falcon. "Are you certain? Which direction are they traveling in? Are they circling or heading in a straight line?"

Again to the others, he voices his thoughts out loud. "If this is what answered the wizard's summons then we're lucky he picked such lousy trackers. Probably hadn't expected us to be able to get away so swiftly, or there would be hell hounds on our tail now. Luna!" he looked to the sorceress, "I know you're a bit busy but tell us - do these things have an expiration date? We might be hidden for now, but if they keep scouring the woods they will find us sooner or later."

"If it is the spell that I am thinking of, it should wear off soon." Her level of tension is visibly lowering. "I believe that I can dispel the magic on this sphere and free its captives, but I will need to spend some time with my texts to prepare, and we still owe a steak for our two thieves. Let us retire back down to the wagons, get some food and water, and I will study my books."

The ranger nods to the sorceress, looking reassured by her answer. "Yes, let's do that. A bit more distance from our pursuers won't hurt, and I'll keep Pecker on watch so they don't take us by surprise. The sooner we get those damsels out of that orb, then sooner we can be on our way to Highwind. I think we've all had it proved to us enough times how unsafe these woods are."

Wolf relaxes a bit, putting away his bow and absent-mindedly staring at the horizon.

Pecker calls out to Wolf again from above. "Circling! Wait! More smokies! Coming to you!"

Overhearing Wolf and Luna's conversation, the girls in the globe burst into despairing wails.
"Prepare?! As in take at least an hour? Ai! Leithio nin!" "We don't want to be in here another minute! Oh, for the Elves! Edraith enni!" "We must be free to be happy! Nae!"

"Ai! Leithio nin!" = "Eek! Release me!'

"Edraith enni!" = "Save me!"

Nae! = "Alas!"

(And to save anyone some mouse clicks... ) Source = http://www.realelvish.net/101_sindarin.html

Luna was about to ask of the rest of the group if anyone wanted to look over the crystal to see if there was another, faster way to get the trapped women out when Pecker calls out about more 'smokies' coming. "What direction are they coming from and how many?"

Cantrips: Read Magic, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, Detect Magic

Level 1: Burning Hands x2, Shocking Grasp

Level 2:

Level 3:

Level 4:

Force Missile x8

Mage Armor active - 2 hours left

(Dan taking some liberties here, I think a 29 out of 30 is a "Success", Cue "Anvil of Crom") Bronze forges most of the steel into bars, but with some he smelts, and adds charcoal, sand, and other weird things, and casts a hammer head. Then does something a lot of smiths think is weird, and forges the sides and faces of the hammer. Next he drops the head into some dirt and lets it air cool. After cooling, he engraves the symbol of Hephaestus on both sides and selects a nice solid oak stick to make a handle, blah blah blah complicate things, blah blah blah. Shiny hammer! (It's Shiny)

"More?" Wolf is interrupted from his contemplation, looking annoyed and slightly concerned. "What do you mean, more? How many devils can a single wizard summon in an hour?"

Pecker chirps passionately from above to Wolf. "Yes, Moar! I mean moar, not less! How many devils wizard can makes? No idea! What is devil? Beware! Coming this way! Flee?"

Wolf knows for certain that Pecker's animal intelligence provides him limited words in the best of times. However, feral animals typically do what is wise including fleeing the unknown. What Pecker doesn't recognize, he avoids.

Bria hears Wolf's words and speaks up. "Devils? If we have multiple devils coming our way, we could be in serious trouble. Devils are even worse than some people." Bria thinks to what the party has learned of Karthas the Master Wizard.

"That does it then." the ranger mutters to himself. To the others he says this: "I see no reason to stand off against unknown magical creatures summoned by a powerful wizard that outclasses everyone here - with the exception of Skaagenrackner -" he bows his head slightly at the elemental, "If we don't have to. And since we have what we came for, I see no reason why we would have to. So I vote we take this business of dismantling the orb somewhere else. Now." The look on Wolf's face and the tone of his voice is serious enough to possibly be considered commanding even, for a change.

"Forest-keeper," he turns to Skaagenrackner, "You have tasked us with this. Tell us, can we afford to work on freeing the maidens while travelling along the road aboard our wagons? It seems like it might take longer than we have."

Bren frowns at the mention of "preparing"; he assumes (as the trapped girls apparently do) that Luna's referring to memorizing. "Is there no other--" he starts to ask, but is cut off by Pecker's report. When Wolf mentions devils, Bren's expression becomes distinctly worried, and he nods in agreement with Bria. "We aren't in their 'weight class,' unless it is a very low-ranking devil. And even then..." He turns to Wolf, approval in his eyes as the ranger's tone changes to one more commanding in nature. "I don't like the idea of leading our foes to the wagons and the noncombatants waiting there, unless we know we have a large lead. It'll take time to get the horses harnessed and moving, even with several of us at work."

"We don't even know what we are dealing with, let alone how many. All we know is that there are several creatures on their way here, and we are running out of time. Bria, you seem to have some knowledge of many subjects; do you know of a faster way to release the trapped ones in here? It may be that if these are demons or devils, we may be able to trap them inside the globe ourselves, since it seems to be designed to do just that."

Skaagenrackner mutters, annoyed. "Those are no devils... Now that I can see them, I see them for what they are. Smoke mephits. Otherworldly creatures with distasteful tactics and abilities. A good choice of enemy when you were in the Wellspring of Change, for they could smoke you out and blind your eyes to your lights long enough for disaster. But out here?" Skaagenrackner slowly turns to Bren. "From one guardian of the forest to another, will you allow this Old Stone to protect all of you while you make safe your new-found captives? I know how to handle these little pests."

"Me?" Bria points at herself.
"Um, I'll do my best!"

The Ko monk falls back to her lifelong training. Hmmmm, I don't remember seeing anything like this prison at the Monastery. Old Grandmaster Shen used to say the most direct way to a target is usually the simplest. How about if I try talking to the source, too?

Bria carefully makes her way over to the globe and kneels down to it. There, she peeks respectfully at the creatures inside and addresses them in a proper friendly Bria fashion. "Êl síla erin lû e-govaned vîn! I'm Bria of the Ko! We're the Wanderers and we like to do good things. Are you glad we wandered your way?"

The girls gasp and point dramatically at this pretty stranger. They whisper, "We shouldn't talk to her either!" "I don't know if we can trust her any more than the Bright Fire!" "One way to find out! Let's peek again!" With an attempt at discretion, the captives examine Bria from head-to-toe. Bria simply smiles under their scrutiny until they come to a decision. Then the three captives exclaim with joy and hug each other enthusiastically. "Na vedui! You're a forest-friend! And you speak Elvish!" "Mae g'ovannen! We'll talk to you! Someone claimed you!" "We don't talk to anyone who isn't first a forest-friend or a surface elf!"

Bria hears this and calls over to Wolf with gratitude in her eyes. "Thank you, Wolf! You're wonderful!"

Boy, am I glad Wolf claimed me! No
wonder they didn't respond to Luna; she's not "claimed." But did they talk to Vardadraug and Sparkle? It seemed so... She turns to the girls and asks, "Which of us are forest-friends?" The girls look around. "He is!" The finger is aimed at Wolf. "And him! We know him!" Vardadraug looks as if he is ready for a nap. "That big fellow over there!" Bren's guard looks like it is far from coming down. "The Old Stone longer than anyone!" Skaagenrackner continues to peer across the tops of the trees. "And you!" They clasp their hands at Bria and smile up at her.

Bria puts her thumb to her lips and ponders. That leaves Otiorin, Powerpaw, Luna, and Sparkle. There must be some way they can earn their trust. "And who are you?"

One of the girls proudly places one hand on her slender hip and a thumb pointing at her smiling face. The other two pose similarly. "We're the Daughters of Summertime!" "We're really smart!" "We know all kinds of stuff about everything! Just ask!"

"I thought you liked Elves? Don't you like my friend?" She indicates Otiorin. They take a second look at him. "There's something odd about him!" "Yes!" "What could it be?" Then, altogether, they wave their arms dramatically and frantically. "No dirweg! He's a half-elf!! Oh no!!"

"What do you mean, 'Beware'?"

"Is he the one?" "Did he do it?" "His heart could be as black as an orc's!"

"Or," Bria quickly counters, "it could be as bright as any hobbit's. If you mean burning down the Wild Elves' Wood, Otiorin didn't do it." Bria shakes her head causing waves of brown hair to dance in the sunlight.

The girls pose and ponder. "Are you really, really, really certain?" "She has to be! She's a forest-friend!" "Right! Forest-friends don't mislead other forest-friends!"

"Still, we would like to free you. How did the wizard put you in there?"

"Oh! He didn't!" "It was that foul, two-headed, smelly fiend-of-a-giant!" "Yeah! He kept looking at us with naughty eyes! I think he was a pervert!"

Bria tries to guide the conversation back to more liberating aims. "The ettin? Did he have a magic word or something? Or a secret knock?"

"Nope, nope, nope!" "This is a Globe of Entrapment! It's made to trap magic people like us!" "A dwarf's age ago, a thief made it to trap a sorcerer!"

"So how are you freed?"

The girls think for a moment. One daughter theatrically raises her hands as if casting a spell and replies. "A Dispel Magic spell cast from a wizard, sorcerer, or cleric can do the trick but only if the one doing it proves stronger than the Globe! A Greater Dispel Magic spell is sure to work!" The second daughter puts one hand behind her back and puts another finger to her lips and confides with shifting eyes, "A quick and skilled thief can manipulate the energies of the Globe and unlock it in a jiffy!" The third daughter flexes her muscles and swings a powerful and imaginary sword. "A super warrior can smite the Globe with all of her strength, but pull it in the last moment. If the combination of skill and timing are just right, the energies of the Globe will dissipate briefly, allowing escape! But she has to be super!" Then they cuddle and look up to Bria as if expecting praise.

"That's wonderful! You're so smart!" Bria provides claps and cheers with sincerity. As the girls share in her cheer, Bria looks around and asks, "Does anyone want to give this a try?"

Êl síla erin lû e-govaned vîn. = A star shines on the hour of our meeting.

Mae g'ovannen! = Well met!

Na vedui! = At last!

No dirweg! = Beware!

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna mutters quietly to Sparkle, "I'm glad that Skaagenrackner is going to take care of our unwanted guests for us. Depending on how many of them there are, we could have been in serious trouble. Now! Lets see about the Globe of Entrapment. Otiorin, you have nimble fingers. Perhaps you can divine a way to release the captives."

Sparkle's delirious reply contains but four words coupled with a happy giggle. "Belly rubs and steak..."

Dannigan said:
Skaagenrackner slowly turns to Bren. "From one guardian of the forest to another, will you allow this Old Stone to protect all of you while you make safe your new-found captives? I know how to handle these little pests."
Bren grins up at the elemental. "Surely, my friend. I've trusted you since that first day we met, when I saw the company you keep." He then turns to the group, in time to hear:

Dannigan said:
Then, altogether, they wave their arms dramatically and frantically. "No dirweg! He's a half-elf!! Oh no!!"
"What do you mean, 'Beware'?"

"Is he the one?" "Did he do it?" "His heart could be as black as an orc's!"

"Or," Bria quickly counters, "it could be as bright as any hobbit's. If you mean burning down the Wild Elves' Wood, Otiorin didn't do it."
"Indeed he did not," Bren interjects. "I've heard the tale from one of the Wild Elves personally, and it was no child of the Gray Elves such as Otiorin is." He then lets the subject drop, unless (until?) someone asks further questions, and listens as the girls explain the three means to their escape. His grip tightens on his axe's haft, but he turns to Otiorin even as Luna does, raising an eyebrow to second her question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back