• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Four: Enlightenment and the Daughters of Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

<strong>For the first time since you have met him, Skaagenrackner gives all of you an expression that might be a smile. </strong>"Follow the Exalted Wolf! He will show you the way. With him, answers will become as clear as a reflection in a still lake." Then Otiorin arrives. His arrival startles Skaagenrackner who rises, fists clenching. "What is this?! A <em>half-elf</em> in my forest?" Vardadraug scampers about, running in circles in an attempt to get Skaagenrackner's attention. In the language of animals, he barks and yaps. "He is with them, Old Stone! I have watched him." "I can see that, but... <em>is he the one?" </em>Pushing creaking branches aside to get a better look, the ancient behemoth's eyes grow wide as he bends down to peer at Otiorin. Most creatures in this position have never felt smaller in their lives. Vardadraug shakes his fur scattering dust and leaves about him. "No! He is innocent of the crime." "You are a far greater judge of character than I, Exalted Wolf. If you say he is not the one, then I shall not destroy him." "One day that half-elf will come to justice!" Vardadraug howls. "One day!" <strong>Walking together, Bria and Powerpaw then come into view. Bria appears worried, but it is Powerpaw who appears to be stewing irritably. </strong>The muscled feline looks as if he has been thrashed viciously. His naked fur is mangled and tangled in many places and stains of blood mar in patches, some of it his. He snarls, his fangs and warrior pride showing plainly. For those who have experience among warriors, Wolf and Kitrin especially, there is little need for explanation - <em>no </em>warrior wishfully enters a battle like the one you had so unprepared. However, Skaagenrackner is in for a second shock when he sees Powerpaw. "And what are you? I have not seen your like in all my time!" Powerpaw straightens and stands tall, almost militarily, and points a sharp claw at himself. His answer is filled with pride. "I iz a <em>kitty-face!</em> I comes from da Land of Kitty-faces where we killz an' noms <em>everyting </em>dat stands against us. Well... we killz moar often than we noms..." Skaagenrackner puts one hand against his cheek. "By the Forest Mother, how did I miss <em>both </em>a half-elf <em>and </em>a 'kitty-face'?" Bria answers, her voice just loud enough to hear. "Mister Rocky Person? I think they were standing on you when you erupted. Your coming into the battle launched them way up into the air." "Ah! When I awoke! My apologies, little ones. I have always been a bad one to rouse suddenly..." "No worriez, stony." Then Powerpaw stares at Luna with disbelief in his eyes. "Luna-face, we gotta talk. You <em>really </em>attack <em>four </em>of dose big horny armored guys wiff only Wolfs an' Bria presents? Way I sees it, we iz lucky ta be alive!" He then turns to Otiorin, and does his level best to relax. "Hey! Waz you really up in da air, too? Dat bull-face punched me in da face so hard, I saw Otiorin!" He tries to chuckle, but fails. Then disappointedly, he adds. "I don' remember <em>nuffin</em>' after dat..." Then those senses fall upon the green bundle and brown bag in Otiorin's possession. "Ooh? Where'd dat comes from?"

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna goes over to the other members of the Wanderers and gives out hugs to Otiorin, Bria, and Powerpaw. "I am glad that all of you came through that fight in one piece. Or, at least, in few enough pieces that Bria could put you back together. Now, when we were starting our fight with the minotaurs, they were trying to blow a horn to warn another spellcaster about us. Did anyone see him? No? Hmm. We have an open riddle then, of who was the one behind this attack. Anyone in the area will be long gone by now. So! Let us see what goods that the minotaurs were carrying, and see what Otiorin has brought with him."

As she looks about the area, her gaze keeps going over to Wolf, wondering what will happen between the two of them now that there was a special moment together. We will have plenty of time to talk on the road. Right now, let us focus on making sure that everyone is safe. "The sooner we finish here, the sooner we will be back at the Wagons and can make sure that everyone there is ok, too. Not to mention the good cooking of the Meadowsweets!"

Otiorin suddenly felt uncomfortable with the attention he was receiving from the ancient forest guardian, especially the implication of him being some sort of villain. That needed rectifying.

"I am known as Otiorin Taletreader, child of Cadoththa and Ser Argentias Mordenklein, grandchild of Carenniel and Maecon Icemane, great-grandchild of Tirladiel Planestrider and Charmsring. I would ask what it is I am most assuredly mistakenly accused of doing?", he called out to Skaagenrackner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skaagenrackner nods to Otiorin, speaking carefully in his gravely voice. "Do not misunderstand, if you please. I asked if you were guilty, Otiorin Taletreader - I did not accuse you of being so. I see an important, if subtle, difference between the two. I hope you see it, too. Your kind are awfully rare nowadays... What are there, six? Perhaps ten of you left in all?" He pauses as if remembering something dire. His face becomes ugly with sorrow and rage. Then, with countless years of experience, he tries to calm himself. Still, he fails. "Vardadraug! Tell him of the crime! I cannot speak of it! I should not think of it!"

The little wolf looks to the trembling Skaagenrackner. He seems to communicate something without words to the ancient guardian. While Skaagenrackner seeks to calm himself, Vardadraug faces Otiorin and Wolf both. His words are for Otiorin; he appears to wish Wolf to be part of the conversation for reasons only little wolves know. He communicates with them clearly, but it is not their ears by which they come upon the Exalted Wolf's words...

You must be sheltered indeed if you know not of this crime. For many centuries, the savage Wild Elves dwelt in their breathtaking forests and lakes, hills and holts, all untouched by civilized hands and protected eon after eon by ancient traditions. Until a half-elf burned them all down. Months ago, the Wild Elves saw no other recourse but to enter, without permission, the Forest Eternal where the Wood Elves call home. There is now something of a civil war between the two as the Forest Eternal is not large enough to support both peoples.

One thing is certain - the Wild Elves want
all half-elves dead. If you are found by them, there will be no parleying, no bartering, no time for explanation. They will attempt to kill you on sight as they have attempted upon another one of your kind. If you see them first, fly! For they will not rest until their ancestral home is avenged. Your only succor lies in that they rarely stray from their homes.

Meanwhile, Mielikki suffers still... not only from her own wounds, but also for this tragedy. Her once-loving children now at odds with one another for their very survival. Loviatar and Erythnul must be having quite the laugh at her miseries.

Bria returns Luna's hug warmly as is her nature, but there is a pause born of caution and worry in it. Powerpaw does not hug Luna but instead, he briefly pats the fire-mage's shoulder as if holding her at arm's length. He turns away from Luna and seeks Kitrin. "Before we go anywhere else, how about we's get our armors on before we rushez unprepareds into another fight?" Powerpaw takes the violence-less moment to strap on every piece of his armor.

Bria glances up to her long-time teammate. "May I help?"

"Sure. Tanks." Powerpaw looks down at Bria. His features soften. There is something about Bria that eases his frustrations.

As she helps, she looks to Otiorin,, Vardadraug, and Wolf. "They seem to be talking about something important."

"Hope dey shares it," he says calmly. "Dunno about yous, but I haz had enuff surprises for one day."

Bria can only nod in agreement.

Otiorin dropped his proud stance as he heard the suffering of the Wild Elves and more so as he heard that it was a single Half-Elf that caused such calamity. He gritted his teeth, even as he clenched his fists, in suppressed rage. Around him, the other adventurers cheerfully dug into the bundles he had brought with him, but the sound were hollow and distant to him. In its place, he could almost hear the lamenting of many thousands of his Elven kin, both displaced Wild Elves and encrouched-upon Forest Elves. Their lamentations changed in his hearing to shouts of rage, roars of hatred and curses against his name.

"I-I have never intentionally harmed any that have not intended harm on me and it grieves me to know one of my kind is responsible for such pain and turmoil.", he said, quietly, the words forced out between the thin lines of his grimly-drawn lips.

Then he looked from Vardadraug to Skaagenrackner to Wolf and said, "But I swear to you, by my draconic lineage and the noble Elven blood that runs through my veins, that I shall work to appease the suffering of others, whether they hate me, wish me dead or aught else. I swear before you and make sacrament to my oath."

So saying, he extended the glistening silver claws that lurked beneath his own fingernails and dragged them across his own palms. The tears in his flesh bled freely, the crimson rain anointing the ancient sward beneath his feet. He raised his savaged hands to the skies and turned his head upwards, "I call upon the valiant sun, the sentinel moon and the eternal stars to observe my oath and sanctify it. Let none in heaven, on earth or in any other plane dissuade me from my pledge!"

• Skaagenrackner's jaw drops to the widest you have, and possibly ever will, see it. Otiorin's actions have caused the ageless protector, a creature longer-lived than some races, to gawk in amazement like a child at a circus. "Now you see as I do, Otiorin Taletreader! My rage is shared!"

Mielikki's eyes! Vardadraug straightens in similar amazement, his ears and tail straight, his eyes wide. I bear witness to this pledge to appease the suffering of others though they may hate you! Yet I cannot help but fear a sorry day for all shall come should you and the Wild Elves meet...

The very moment Otiorin mars his hands, Bria cries out in surprise. She reacts instantly, without thinking, and by word and motion healing energy reaches out from her and into Otiorin's hands. "Asteallo!" The wounds heal instantly though the trails of blood remain upon he and the red earth beneath his feet. Then Otiorin is rushed by the peaceful healer. She slams into him as fiercely as a Bria can and hugs him tight, her head buried in his chest.

It is at that very moment that all upon the hilltop hear a trumpet sounding as if in magical reply to Otiorin's oath. The timing of the moment seems prophetic in nature. There is but one trumpet that the Wanderers are aware of and it belongs to Stewart, but the sound is not that of a single alarming note, but instead a hobbit chorus of a famous Highwindian melody. For those who know, the words to the chorus are:

"Come home, hobbit, come home,

to your hole where pipe and pie are warm,

Come home, hobbit, come home,

out of the cold and away from the storm."

It is a clear signal to only one among your party - Kitrin. She alone knows this for what it is - a signal for her, alone, to return immediately to the Adventurers' Wagon! This she does, and as she makes her way down the hill, her armor in hand, as Vardadraug turns to Skaagenrackner.

Did you not say that we had to leave now to save the three girls?

"Ah, I did," Skaagenrackner watches the fierce hobbit descend down the hill at a rapid pace. He seems to wait until she is out of earshot before adding, "That is because I have learned to use the word now when hobbits are present, for if you do not, you will have a crackling campfire at your feet and foodstuffs cooking around you instead of a problem swiftly solved... In truth, the girls are stationary for the present. You have perhaps two hours to move out. No more."

Bria then looks up to Otiorin. "A blood-oath to help the suffering? On your blood? I thought... I thought you were a scoundrel?"

Powerpaw grins. "He iz a scoundrel, Bria - he's jus' a scoundrel wif a heart."

Then Powerpaw tries to chuckle, but it doesn't come out. He tries to stretch and relax and that doesn't seem to work. He gives a long, frustrated sigh. "Okies... Either I sez it or I iz gonna lose when I least wanna. Here goez." Finally, the big cat restlessly turns to Luna. "Luna, we haz ta talk. You want dat talk wif just us, Wanderers-only, or wif everyone hearin' its?"

Luna looks up at the large kitty-face. "If you have something of import to share, it is up to you to decide if it is for many ears or just ours. Is this something that you wish to discuss with me alone, or should all of our merry band be involved? I am at your service either way."

"Hmmm," Powerpaw considers carefully, "probably bests dat it's just you an' me. I doezn't wanna make a scene." He guides Luna to a spot among the trees where they are within sight of the others, but not easily overheard, even by the sharp ears of Wolf and Otiorin. Several pairs of eyes among your team take note of your actions, but apparently only to do just that - take note.

As Bria hugs Otiorin and watches Powerpaw from a respectful distance, Powerpaw looks about to make certain of their solitude. Now that he was wearing armor, he finds it a little easier to keep his cool. "Now rememberz," he begins, "I just woke ups ta one of Bria's healin' spells ta a big world of pain, no armor, bloody, broken, way in some trees an' no idea how I gots dere. Last ting I rememberz is smackin' a bull-guy in da face wif my maul, so if I soundz a little pissy...

"Here'z what I haz ta tellz you - Most of da time, yer fiery spiritz iz great ta see in actions, but here in dis forest, yer hotheadness nearly cost us. Don't play da bad guys' game."

Sparkle uncoils ever-so-slightly and becomes slowly visible on Luna's shoulder.

"Whoops! I forgots you waz dere."

"Most people do," the old dragon replies. Sparkle's tone is mature, but defensive. "Did Luna not say she was trying to stop them from blowing the horn?"

Powerpaw shakes his head. "Dis ain't personal, dis iz business. An' no. I iz talkin' about engagin' those guys in da first place. Horn-guy waz da first one ta go down after Wolf shots him. Bull-faces didn't even reach fer da horn until dere leader went down. Point is - You started dat fight wiffout us, knowin' we wazn't prepped."

"But you did not show until after Luna? How do you know?"

"Becauze after Bria healed mes just now, I asked her ta tell me da whole battle from her perspectives... She sez she showed up wif Luna. Bull-faces goaded Luna. Luna fell for its and attacked them. Mage-face... why didn't you stall 'em or waits fer us? You knew we wasn't prepared.

"What was goin' through yer head, Luna? Iz you new ta team tactics or somethin'?"

Listening to the harsh words made Luna shrink in a bit. "I understand your concern, and I hope you will listen as I explain what was going on from my point of view." Taking a moment to organize her thoughts, she begins. "Yes, it is true that I struck the first blow. But, there was more going on there than you may realize. First off, I knew that you and Kitrin were on your way, and from as fast as you are, it would not be long before you were here. Next thing that I saw was the minotaurs taking a torch to the wolf-pup, and like all bullies, they were goading themselves up for an attack on Wolf. When I stepped forward, it was my intent on not letting them attack at their leisure, but make the fight that was going to go on happen at our pace. If we were not interrupted by the sudden appearance of Skaagenrackner, the battle would have been over and done, leaving the Wanderers in control of the field with no casualties on our side."

She stops and thinks for a moment, then goes on. "Did I make the right choice? Knowing that the minotaurs were about to summon more of their cohorts? What could I have done differently? The first thing that comes to mind is the Lightning Bolt spell I used. I could have chosen to use a different one, or a Bolt that wasn't mixed with my fire. Even if I had not done that, a fire could still have been started by the spell. Lets say that I had used something else. Could we still have won? Probably. But then we would be facing off against the minotaurs for longer and the chances of someone getting seriously hurt was one that I wasn't willing to risk. Could I have waited for you to show up? Yes. Was I rash in striking first? Perhaps. But I acted in what I thought was the right choice."

Powerpaw listens intently, his four ears craned and eyes focused on the human mage. His face wrinkles a bit as his whiskers dance about. "Uhhh..." he says hesitantly, "Da rocky guy (I can't sez his name right; I tried)? His showin' ups iz da one reason dat bull-face didn't blow his horn. He was just about to; da rest of us failed ta stop him, Luna. If Rocky Guy wazn't here, I'm tinkin' we'd be fightin' dat wizard he mentioned along wif whatever friends he had. Add four moar fresh bull-faces an' we're talkin' Wanderer casualties fer sure.

He muses and considers for a long moment before replying. His tone is not harsh, but constructive. "Done differentlies? A lotta tings could'a been done differentlies. No way ta tell if dey would'a worked, but stallin' dem so Kitrin an' I could get our armor on would'a been a big plus. Warriors wiffout armor are like you guys wif no defense spells up - Shit outta luck an' we knows it. Send Bria back ta warn us what we're up against? You know; buy us in the back some time. Kitrin an' I are yer front line. Yer a lot safer behind us. Plus, if yer gonna hit 'em, why get outta cover an' go all "wraff of da fire mage" at 'em? Why not hit 'em from cover? I'm not sayin' any of dis would'a made a differences - I just want ya ta start thinkin' in strategy. And if ya want a pointer or two, just ask a kitty-face!

Powerpaw proudly thumbs a claw at himself. "Take it from me, Luna! We kitty-faces iz bred inta war as cubs. We learn teamworks to a fault. Dat bull-face team? Dey had solid tactics. We didn't. Plus, yer skill asides, I tink you got lucky out dere. I iz gratefuls fer dat luck, but next time luck might be on the other guys side.

"So if you wanna lead us long-terms, can ya work on da team tactics? You'll sees dat Bria an' I already work great togethers. Right now though, I think we Wander-faces need ta know moar about how each other an' make da bad guys play our game instead'a them chasin' you around da battlefield, you know?

"Whaddya say, mage-face?"

Luna places a hand on Powerpaw's shoulder. "I never claimed to be perfect. Boccob only knows the number of mistakes I've made over the years. But, I am willing to admit when I am wrong, and try to change so I don't make those mistakes again. If you are willing to help work with me, to teach me, and be patient with me when I make a mistake, I promise to do my best to honor you and the rest of the Wanderers with my best. Please know that I am not angry with you for coming forward like this; it takes a lot of courage to do what you just did, and I'm sorry for putting you in the position of having to do so. Are we still friends? I hope so."

• The large, muscular cat crouches down to Luna's level so she is able to put that hand on his red, armored shoulder. His tone is quite casual. "'Still friends?' Like I saids before: Dis ain't personal, dis iz business.

"Workin' an' teachin' an' bein' patient? You kin count on me ta keeps my part of our bargain. As fer "courage" an' talkin' wif you like dis, it's just how I operates, Luna-face. No point in all da Wanderers bein' in on it as long as you improves - an' I'd like ta helps wif dat.

He takes a deep breath. "One last thing before we go together to dat loot? It's only for da team leader's ears an' dat's you. I got one disclaimer dat overrides alla what we just talked about, an' it's a big one."

Powerpaw's blood-red eyes look square into Luna's own with warrior directness. "You an' I? We iz good on one condition: Don't let nuffin' happen ta Bria as a result of yer leaderships." His whiskers rise and his fangs seem to gleam. "Mistakes? I understands mistakes. No problems dere. But if you makes a call dat gets her killed?" Powerpaw seems to pause and visualize. He unconsciously glances at his maul and then at Luna's head. An image seems to form behind those ever-bloodthirsty eyes. With a deadly growl, he shakes his head savagely as if to rid him of that image as quickly as he can.

A slight change of subject seems to help him. "An' you guys? You is nice an' good-hearteds, but we haz known you fer less than two days. If, on da battlefield, I hafta make a choice between any of you an' Bria... understand it won't be any of you. Bria iz my best friend an' I will die if I hafta ta keep dat sunshine heart of hers beatin'." Powerpaw straightens and looks about again as if to assure himself of your continued privacy. He looks once again at Luna, this time with a toothy grin and narrowed eyes, his long black-and-white tail swishing from side to side. Among kitty-faces, this might be a relaxed pose. "So no more chargin' first inta battle like a warrior, O.K.? Because if both you an' Bria gets inta serious trouble at da same time, it's her I iz goin' to. Besides, she's da healer; I'm supposed to.

"Hey, Luna-face? First lesson: Speakin' of da healer, you might wanna talk ta Bria. All yer runnin' around bein' chased an' comin' inches from death are worryin' Bria somethin' bigs, but she's not really da type ta bring it up first. Mebbe you wanna reassures her dat you iz wise leader as well as fiery?

Powerpaw pauses to listen to Luna's reply, and appears ready to see what Otiorin has brought you.

Taken aback by Bria's sudden rush, Otiorin gently put one of his arms around her waist and the other around her shoulders.

"Yes, I am a scoundrel, a low-life, weaselly, lazy scoundrel. I also realise now that I'm also quite selfish, in my own way. I lived almost my entire life in the cities of the Mountain Elves, wanting for nothing but craving everything to be different. Then I got my chance and all I did was squander my time and talents, flitting from one thing to another as the whim took me. While I immersed myself in human culture, some would say to excess in certain aspects of it, I didn't bother to learn about Half-Elves in this world. Had I known about the ills one of my kind had wrought before I left the mountains, I might have had second thoughts about leaving. Now I've learned about the Scouring of the Wild Elves and the terrible things happening in the Forest Eternal, I suddenly understand the fears my mother had when she begged me to remain safe at home. But that's in the past now. Now I have to do what I can, in whatever way I can, to help others. Selflessly. My silly, reckless quest to seek out the mate of my sword has become secondary to my greater cause now. I will help as many as I can who suffer in whatever way I can. It's only right.", he flashed a little smileat Bria, "I hope that you and the others will help me, for as long as is possible."

Bria hugs Otiorin close. The Ko monk shakes her head in worry, her long brown hair shimmering in the sunlight. "Right or not, do you really have any idea what you just swore? The wild elves will kill you on sight and I hear they are quite good at killing! Otiorin, they won't listen to your noble intent, they won't be swayed by the wrongs you have put a'right nor will they have half an interest in your draconic blood! If they see you, they will hunt you down like an animal and carry your body back to their forest to display among their own people! Without hesitation! What will you do? Kill them in defense after you have sworn to help them?

"I spent many months serving in the Adventurers' Guild in Highwind - it's where people like us have gathered for years - and you hear things like this. I know another half-elf and... I guess I'm hugging you because it has reopened my worry for her and for this future you have now chosen for yourself.

"The wood elves, I hear, are wonderful people. But the wild elves? I just... don't want you to have any illusions about who you've just sworn your life to help. No helpless damsels weep for freedon there, Otiorin. Theirs, I hear, is a cursed, misunderstood people though the nature of that whispered curse is beyond me.

"I just hope you haven't consigned yourself to a noble doom..." She looks up into his face. "Oh, you know how to make friend worry!" With that, she glances to Luna and says a quick prayer.

Sparkle hears all this and tilts her head curiously to Powerpaw. "An old girl cannot help but ask - Is this how kitty-faces treat each other?"

"Oh no," Powerpaw frowns, his whiskers drooping. As he speaks, he begins to unconsciously raise his voice within the range of the other Wanderers. All of you can hear him. "We iz much harder on each others, but bein' dat ways keeps us strong. Bria though?" He looks to her fondly and sighs. "She's got somethin' I haz never seens in a kitty-face, or any other specieses... she haz this accepting form of compassions. She knows damn well I iz a killer, yet she keeps guidin' me ta be moar. You hang around her long enuffs an' you'll get hooked too, fair warnin's."

With that, he turns to Luna. "Look, I iz sorry if I iz too harsh on yous. Now that we iz teammates, I iz treatin' you like a fellow kitty-face an' mebbe you don't deserves dat. Where I comes from, you iz meat, Luna. I nom yer kind. An' yes, you does tastes pretty good wif ketchups. Whoops. Dere I go again..."

"Yours are a harsh people, Powerpaw. Take it from a dragon."

Powerpaw thinks back to Koshianth and nods to Sparkle. "Yer kind iz pretty badass too, grandma. I tink dragons an' kitty-faces have one ting in common - As a whole, we doesn't give a burning damn about people outside our own race.

"Luna, Bria iz good at bringin' out da good in everybodies. 'Cause of her, I'm tryin' ta give a real damn about you an' da Wanderers. It's just.... meetin' you guys for da first time in Bilal's cage just da other night... an' now wakin' up wif my butt kicked in dat tree..." Powerpaw sighs. 'Givin' a real damn is just takin' time. It's not sumthin' I iz used to. Kitty-faces iz known fer killin'! Conquests! War! But compassions? Nope. Bria is teachin' me differents an' I'm likin' it.

I tinks you iz tryin' ta be a real friend ta me, Luna. You too, grandma. It's gonna take some time, but I iz gonna try ta be a friend ta you back. Hope dats good enuff..."

Bria suddenly raises both her arms and cheers. "Powerpaw! Look at you making friends! I'm so proud of you!" The sunlight on her face pales in comparison to the brightness of her smile.

"What? Dids everybodies hear all dat? Uh, well, if yer smilin', I guess I did right?"

Small paws travel over the crunchy leaves as Vardadraug treads to see what is going on. The little fellow gazes long at the natural-born killer, his thoughts known only to him. Then he travels a little more to Wolf's side and there he sits patiently. After a long moment, he looks up to Wolf and in animal speech barks, "Is someone going to examine the contents of Otiorin's bundle? Curiosity is getting the better of me."

Luna goes over to sit next to Wolf and then reaches over to examine the bundle of goodies that Otiorin brought with him. "Lets see what we have here."

Dannigan said:
It is at that very moment that all upon the hilltop hear a trumpet sounding as if in magical reply to Otiorin's oath. The timing of the moment seems prophetic in nature. There is but one trumpet that the Wanderers are aware of and it belongs to Stewart, but the sound is not that of a single alarming note, but instead a hobbit chorus of a famous Highwindian melody. For those who know, the words to the chorus are:
"Come home, hobbit, come home,

to your hole where pipe and pie are warm,

Come home, hobbit, come home,

out of the cold and away from the storm."

It is a clear signal to only one among your party - Kitrin. She alone knows this for what it is - a signal for her, alone, to return immediately to the Adventurers' Wagon!
Kitrin reaches for the sack holding her armor. "Thanks, Oti! That's so great of you! I'mma take these minutes an' get properly dressed now!" Happily the little fighter suits action to words, chainmail jingling as she slides it on and tightens its straps. Just as she straps on her shield and settles her flail at her belt once more, a trumpet call echoes through the forest from the wagon below. "Ooo! That's for me! Hobbit come home, it is! No emergency, but I'd best see what they want. You guys go on, I'll just guard the wagon 'less you need me up here." With that said, she darts off down the hill at top hobbit-speed to see what's what.

Wolf was still trying to shake off the hopeless voices in his head when Powerpaw and Luna took to the sidelines. He couldn't make out a word they were saying, but was watching ever so intently. Yet if something could have stolen his attention, it was what Otiorin did. Wolf did not make any comments out loud, but he sent a meaningful glance of respect and understanding Otiorin's way.

When Vardadraug approached the ranger drew closer to the little wolf and stroke along his fur. "Mine as well, but about you." he said to him.

And then Luna joins in. Wolf looks at her and a warm smile forms itself beyond his control. He doesn't say anything, though, but instead lets out a sharp whistle meant to summon Pecker back to his side.

"Come on, Otiorin!" Bria smiles and offers him her hand in what must be the very familiar manner of Ko monks when dealing with their own. If he takes her hand, she leads him toward Luna and Wolf who appear to be clustered around the bundle Stewart gave Otiorin. The string and well-designed wood of a longbow peeks out, as does a fine leather scabbard. Wooden items rattle. "Where did this bundle come from? I haven't seen it before."

The items unroll neatly, a bright red string fastened around each to which is attached a small piece of folded papyrus. On top of the items lies a medium-sized page of the same papyrus upon which these words are writ in a well-practiced hand:

To Bilal the Rich, Respected, and Rightfully-Feared,
Master, as per your request, I have cleaned and inspected these items. The Wayfarer was well-equipped, though he could not possibly use all that is here - the arcane scroll for example is to my knowledge, beyond his ability to make use of. His notched longsword is a match for his enchanted cudgel, perhaps made by the same hand; I remind you that he wielded both simultaneously. I also point out this excellent edge as having seen much use, apparently against large-sized opponents or larger. For one fellow to have such a variety of items is unusual; I can only hypothesize upon the the many enemies he must have thought ill of.

As for their background, perhaps you wish to find out more from the Wayfarer now that you have him properly disposed of in the fourth prison-wagon? I have recorded the results of what your enchanted ring identified and tied notes upon each item as not to waste your ring's precious charges. I pray they meet with your delight.

Your servant,

Master Scholar Stewart of Averlund
The following identified items lay before you:

Longbow +2

24 arrows +2 in a hip quiver crafted in the design of a rushing boar.

An aged, slightly-curved, long sword of human design, +2, +4 vs. giants and their ilk, sheathed in fine brown leather scabbard. The handle ends in the design of an elk's hoof, quite well-suited for pommel strikes.

Arcane scroll in a blue bone scroll case with the following spells: Dispel Magic, Haste, Feather Fall.

Divine scroll in a white bone scroll case with the following spells: Prayer (x2), Speak with Animals.

Amulet of Protection
(+2 to all saving throws). The beautifully-crafted face of a unicorn hangs on a leatherbound cord; the unicorn is known far and wide as the symbol of Mielikki.

Two potions of Bull's Strength in glass vials stoppered with red corks.

Three thunderstones with small bulls-eyes painted on one side of each of them.

"Oooh," Powerpaw licks his fangs. "Moar! We haz it!"

Luna's eyes widen at the sight of the scrolls. "My my my. These two," she points out the Haste and the Dispel Magic ones, "are not yet in my spellbook. I can copy them into it, but it will destroy the scrolls on hand. But, I can then make more of them for the party as needed. The other item that catches my eye is this beautiful amulet." She holds it up and examines it closer with a smile on her face. "Yes, very beautiful. I shall not be greedy, though. If someone else would like the amulet, I will leave it so I can add these spells to my book." Her demeanor shows that, while she is being nice to offer it up to someone else, she obviously wants to keep the amulet for herself.

"Can anyone besides Bria cast Divine spells? That particular field of study is not one that I have delved into. I've been more focused on the Arcane side of spellcasting."

Otiorin looked at the items arrayed before him, his mouth twisted in appraising thought.

"I think Bria could have more use for the amulet, considering she's our only healer.", he looked at her sidelong, "And considering how she throws herself into harm's way to pray for the souls of our fallen foes."

He scooped up the pouch of thunderstones.

"I think I'll have these. Considering how I rarely get noticed in a fight, they might be a great distraction when thrown from behind our enemies."

"What do you say, Bria? Does the amulet and these divine scrolls interest you?"

Realizing that politely waiting his turn might leave him empty handed, Wolf also leans in and deliberately reaches to untangle the longbow from the bundle. Grabbing hold of it, he proceeds to study it with the gaze of an expert while bending the wood and looking at it from different angles.

He muttered his analysis just loud enough to be heard by those around him, though he wasn't speaking to anyone in particular. "Strong but flexible. Yew. Draw weight..." he draws an invisible arrow, "About 90 lb. Slightly better than my current bow. I think I'll take this." he says with a grin. "Oh, and the arrows as well."

In the process of collecting his spoils he glances at Luna, still grinning like an idiot.

In answer, Bria carefully uncorks the divine scroll from its ivory bone case. She is quiet for a few moments as her brown eyes scan the contents. Then her cute features turn into a frown as she shakes her head. "Luna, I can use the Speak with Animals spell, but the other two, while Divine in nature, are beyond me. The spells appear identical, but not meant for healers. Clerics, perhaps?"

Bria holds the amulet aloft. She smiles a very pretty smile to Otiorin. "Thanks for the compliment, Otiorin, but I'm just being me as all Ko monks do." Then her tone becomes pensive. "This amulet displays the famous unicorn device of Mielikki. Wearing it at least implies friendship toward the Forest Mother who gives to all. I would like to make use of this, but I can't just adorn it without..." Bria turns to Wolf.

"Wolf ? I feel I should be worthy of what this amulet represents prior to donning it." She puts her finger to her chin. "What do you think? This is your realm after all. What if I do something right by the forest? Do you think I'll be worthy to wear the amulet with all that it represents?"

Powerpaw gives a feral grin at Bria and her dilemma, but he keeps his thoughts to himself. "I haz idea... howzabout we quickly gatherz all da loot we gots from da Bloodland Bull-faces an' divvy dat up, too?" He stretches and turns in the direction of the fallen warriors that even in death are large, muscled hulks. "I'ma go get its. Anybody else wanna go?"

Bria nods eagerly, but she tilts her head in curiosity. "Aren't you forgetting something? Something we discussed earlier?"

"Huh?" He scratches his head. A moment later, he raises a sharp claw as his eyes light up. "Right! Tanks a bunch! Hey, Luna! You iz party leader. You mind if I goes an' grabs loots?"

"Yes, lets gather everything up and get back to the Wagon. We've been gone a while; no telling what Stewart, Bronze and the Meadowsweets are thinking, probably wondering what has happened to us."

• Wolf looks a bit surprised at Bria's question. "Me? I... Bria, I can't imagine anyone who could be more worthy of it than you." He makes sure to strengthen his reply with a pleasant smile. "Wear it with pride, and may your steps ever be in harmony with the song of the Forest Mother."

That said he looks about, frowning at the realization that his falcon hadn't responded to his call. So he whistles again, loudly, with eyes glued to the skies as if the bird could be hiding behind any obstruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back