• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Four: Enlightenment and the Daughters of Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.
About this time, Whittle makes good on her promise and takes a pair of covered baskets outside to Bonny and Stewart. There she remains for awhile as the wagons roll on in the cool evening.

Sparkle is the first to fall into a deep nap, followed closely by Vardadraug. Pecker on the other talon is wide awake. He puts a little piece of fish directly in front of Sparkle's nose before hopping away with a happy expression. He says in the language of animals to Wolf, "Now she dream of fish! Not steak!"

The Wanderers find themselves surrounded only by their own good company with pie within fork's reach.

Luna follows her nose to the source of the delicious smell; a fresh baked blueberry pie. "Oh, Whittle. I if that pie tastes as good as it smells, I will kiss you!"

"I will take that kiss upon my return, love! For now, I am off to deliver these dinners to Stewart and my Bonny and ride outside awhile in the stars."

Powerpaw raises a claw. As he speaks, his frustration mounts. "Go see da ferry- uh, faeaeaeree- um, I mean, da phayrie - oh da three little winged peoples! Moar..." Whittle gives him a nod as she leaves. Then Powerpaw returns to his pie and says, "O.K., now what's all dis about Fireball-proof mages? I wazn't dere for dat part. Tell me dis guy ain't hammer-proof, too?"

Luna looks over at Powerpaw. "Hammer proof? I certainly hope not. But, I do possess spells that can make me immune to the effects of a Fireball spell, but the thing is, I have to memorize the spell, then cast it and not have it run out on me before the hit takes place. With all the magic items that exist in the world, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is a ring or coat or belt that gives immunity to fire. If we happen to run into Karthas again, I plan on using different tactics, since my primary attack didn't work. Buff up the party with a Haste spell, use Displacement to protect one of the front line attackers, a Gravity Bow on someone's bow, stuff like that. Even the smartest wizards can't be that hard to kill if you hit them hard enough."

"Humm..." Powerpaw muses as he chews on yet another steak. "O.K. But what happened wif dis Karthas jerk? Something happeneded... He nom da Fireball or what?" The kitty-face knows that the "moar" you have on an opponent, the better - such was the case with Dubble Trubble. So might it be here, too.

Bren turns toward Powerpaw to reply. "It's rather hard to say, actually. I'd thought we were going to start off a surprise attack, like we did with the minotaurs outside, but there was apparently some miscommunication. Luna cast her fireball before most of us were really ready - indeed, before most of us even saw what we were dealing with, or were in a position to take advantage of the surprise. Since I never did see the inside of that cave, I don't know where Karthas was standing when the fireball landed on him, but by what Skaagenrackner said, we did the Wellspring itself no favors there; though, Forest Mother willing, there will be no lasting damage." He very deliberately doesn't look at Luna. "In any case, there was some thankfully short-lived confusion on our side. The wizard taunted us with his unharmed state, then sent his minotaurs after us. Lacking any other leadership, Otiorin, Wolf, and I grabbed our friends and retreated back to where you faced the ettin. At some point, Vardadraug and Sparkle joined forces to recapture the ball imprisoning the faeries while our foes were focused on the chase, and the rest you know." He glances around at the rest of the party. "Have I missed anything? Aside of what, exactly, was to be seen in the cave - could someone describe that, for those who never got that far?"

Luna closes her eyes and does her best to recall the details of what she saw before throwing her spell into the cave.

is there a die roll you would like me to make to correctly recall the details?

Wolf remains silent, switching his glance cautiously from Powerpaw to Bren and then Luna. He had eaten almost all of his food and looked all the more satisfied for it. It was apparent that he followed the discussion intently even though choosing not to add to it, for now.

Bronze ponders a moment about Bria's question, "Someone hunting me? Not that I know of, but you never know. I might have some fellow smiths that just don't like how I do things, and want to hunt me down before I teach, but I doubt it."

Bria looks to Bronze. Her soft sigh is joined by a relieved smile. "Oh, good. I am worried enough about us..."

Powerpaw puts his paws on his head and tries to understand both accounts. "So... what you both iz sayin' iz... we botched an ambush (which kin happenz), pissed off da head bad guy who sounds like dat wizard da first minotaur team waz blabbin' out, an' mebbe hurt da place we waz tryin' ta save, but we recovereded quicklies, grabbed each other ups, ran like hells, an' made it wiffout losin' anybody? In fact, da only person who got wounded waz me? An' da only reason we izn't goin' back in iz because Varda-face an' Sparkly saw an opportunities ta take what we was dere ta rescues and it workeded?" The kitty-face explains all this with his paws and a myriad of facial expressions though his tone remains level. He looks to Luna then to every other person in the party before finally settling on Bria who ponders briefly before nodding with a wince of regret.

Powerpaw puts his paw on his face. His fur tosses side to side as he shakes his head. "In other wordses, we lucked out agains... Guyz, we really gotta get our act togethers before we gets our asses kickeded..."

Bria asks, "How was your battle with that Dubble Trubble person?"

"Uh, you ever gambles before? It could'a gone either way fast, but let's just say da dice weren't wif him on dis one..."

Bria reaches over and hugs his arm. "I'm glad they were with you, fuzzy goof."

"Hoo hoo," he chuckles. "Me too, Bria, but... I tink we iz cuttin' it too close, even fer a new teams. I tink it's just a matter of times. Mebbe we kin find teamwork trainers? Moar?"

Bria runs her hand through her hair. "Maybe we should start by learning more about each other? Powerpaw and I have only known most everyone in the wagon for less than three days, and Bren here knows almost everyone for maybe three hours."

"Hey, it's not like we're all strangers here." Wolf finally speaks up, having sat back in his chair. "In fact, most of us here have adventured together before. It's just Bren who is new. I am already thinking of Bria and Powerpaw as friends from long past." he winks at the two. "Whatever is wrong with our teamwork, I don't think it's due to unfamiliarity."

"No, you're right.", Otiorin nodded, looking dead at Wolf, "It's not a lack of familiarity that's our problem. Bren is quite obviously trained as both a ranger and as a front-line fighter. We have experience with both, Wolf and Kitrin. Our problem is something else entirely.", he glanced at Luna, briefly, before continuing, "Our problem is planning. Determining a goal, deciding who does what to achieve that goal, implementing those actions and, most importantly, having someone in charge to make contingencies should something go awry. That's our problem."

He stood up, his fingertips resting lightly on the table.

"Today we started out well. We approached the wellspring cautiously, the two swiftest and stealthiest scouting ahead and relaying information back to the rest. We identified, enticed and eliminated the door guardians without raising the alarm. We infiltrated the wellspring and bypassed the Ettin. Then everything went wrong. Why? Because we did not plan past that point. We did not plan, prepare and position ourselves prior to acting. We acted. Without thinking. And it was only sheer luck and magical boots that saved our lives."

Wolf paid close attention to the half-elf as he spoke, for the most part looking at him and occasionally nodding. "Exactly." the ranger said finally. "An accurate summary, Otiorin. That is exactly what happened. We didn't plan past what came to be the point of no return. Lady luck has served us well so far, today and before. It would be unwise to rely on her again anytime soon. We need to make sure this does not happen again." he concluded, looking across everyone gathered.

Luna nods. "We need to do better. I do my best, but I am hardly the most qualified person to be giving orders. Bren, Powerpaw, the two of you have more experience in a fight than I do. Perhaps between the two of you, we could get some pointers? Some training on what to do, what not to do, that kind of thing."

Bren nods as Otiorin and Wolf competently sum up the problem. "I agree that we need better planning, not to mention better information. I suggest we continue to send out scouts, when practicable. Had we sent Otiorin forth after passing the ettin, and waited for his return, we could all have been aware of the situation, and maybe even of Karthas' plans - he sounded as if he was about to explain them, before...well. Too, once we have a plan, we all need to be ready to act together - that means being ready to act as soon as possible, and waiting until everyone is ready." He looks around at each of his teammates assessingly. "Luna, no offense, but I have to agree that you aren't the best qualified for leader. Your heart's in the right place, but we need someone who isn't going to freeze up when the unexpected happens. That can lead to confusion, and confusion can make a precarious situation downright deadly." He glances at Otiorin and Wolf. "You two reacted pretty quickly in there. Equally important, you strove first for the good of the team as a whole, and with thought and care despite the necessary haste. Either of you feel up to it?" Bren waits to see what their reactions are; if neither of them wants it, perhaps it'd be best if he offers himself after all. Despite being so new to this particular group, he isn't exactly inexperienced in leadership.

• "Uhhhh," Powerpaw ponders a moment, "well, I just gotta sez... you doezn't want dis kitty leadin'. I ain't too good at it (See if Powerpaw Were Leader in the next tab).

"Well, Luna, in da Land of Kitty-faces, da one most qualifieds leads, not least (no wonder humans lose so many battleses). If we waz all Kitty-faces, we'd all fight each other. Whoever waz last one standin' would leads an' we would all doez as leader sez. Until he failz. Den we beat his buns fer failin'. Oh, an' choose another leader an' fight all over again. You guyz up for some Hammer Smacks? I bought extra hammers from da trainers!"

"Umm...." Hearing this, Bria tries and tries to take the plan seriously, but instead bursts out giggling. "Ha ha ha! I'm sorry, fuzzy goof, but I can't hurt anyone! If we brawl each other..."

"Ooh! I get its! You iz right, Bria! None of us haz da heart ta smack you! So you'd be leader by defaults!"

Bria gasps at the notion and excitedly waves her hands through another fit of giggling. "No, no! I'm best in the advisor role! I think too much to be a leader! I have trouble making team decisions in combat! I was tested on this before I left the Phoenix Monastery! I'm support, not lead!"

"Uhhh," Powerpaw looks back at the rest of you. "Yeah, best if one of you guys try ta lead. Any of you wants a hammer ta brawl wif?"

"We're not going to brawl, silly! And Bren, you shouldn't fail to mention your own leadership abilities. You're the one who led the party when we rescued Oscar after all. And we solved the Cratian Challenge to boot!"

Both Bria and Powerpaw lean against each other like the friends they are and look to the rest of the Wanderers. It becomes clear that they really have no preference to who leads as long as it isn't Lady Luck (or worse, Miss Fortune. =) ).

Luna folds her arms over her chest. "Whatever you decide, so long as I am not responsible for this bunch any more. I am quite content to be a part of the team, not leading it. Let someone else come up with the plans."

Bria and Powerpaw exchange surprised looks. "She iz steppin' down? Wiffout..." "Sure looks like it."

"Um, thank you for leading us this far, Luna!" "Yah! You got us fat loots!" Powerpaw taps his enchanted longsword. Speaking in warm tones, both kitty-face and Ko monk appear to mean what they are saying wholeheartedly.

"I am a big enough person not to let my ego get in the way of the lives of my friends. That is far more important. Just so long as whomever is in charge is willing to listen to some suggestions, that's all I ask."

"You know what?" Wolf asks. "I don't believe we ever got around to picking a leader at all. Luna just happened to speak for the party with captain Grimdell and Bria that day, and then sort of gradually came to be looked upon for the rest of the decisions too. But even for a temporary leader, you've done an alright job so far." The ranger tries to smile reassuringly at the sorceress.

Then he looks back at Bren. "I would take the burden of command for the sake of the group, if my lack of experience and the fact that I'm the only other scout in the party doesn't rule me out. I mean I've experience alright, but I've mostly worked alone or with a partner until recently. And I suppose being the leader I'd have to hang back most of the time instead of scouting ahead. But otherwise... I'm up for it." he concludes decisively. But he does add: "Yet you are without a doubt the most experienced and suitable to lead here, Bren. If the only thing holding you back is the fact you're the newest member, let it go. You come highly recommended and I'm sure everyone here trusts you enough to follow your lead. If it were a vote, you'd have mine."

"After all, I can't vote for myself, can I?" he laughs.

Bria takes a sip of juice. "I don't see why not, Wolf. Are we voting then?"

"I'm not the leader type.", he said, looking at Sparkle, "It's too much work. And besides that, I don't really have that many great plans to begin with."

Otiorin (and anyone looking) notices Sparkle continuing to nap deeply, dreaming dreams only pseudo-dragons know, but sleepy Vardadraug's puppy-eyes are half-open, his ears turning toward each speaker.

Bria cuts a piece of blueberry pie and hands out slices, first to Luna, then to the fellows. "Does that mean it's between Wolf and Bren, then?"

Then the Ko monk pauses with a finger to her lips. "Um, let me try that again... Does that mean our choices are either Wolf or Bren?"

Luna looks over at Wolf, then Bren. "I seem to recall that Bren has been training for higher levels than us for a long time, and there was something about you donating a portion of your life-essence to a dying god. You have obviously been at this longer than all of us put together, and it makes sense to me to have the most qualified in charge. I say Bren should be in charge. Sorry Wolf. I'll make it up to you."

Dannigan said:
Bria cuts a piece of blueberry pie and hands out slices, first to Luna, then to the fellows. "Does that mean it's between Wolf and Bren, then?"
Bren looks at Wolf, humor in his eyes, and opens his mouth, quite obviously about to make a joke -- "and at what range?" -- until...
Dannigan said:
Then the Ko monk pauses with a finger to her lips. "Um, let me try that again... Does that mean our choices are either Wolf or Bren?"
Bren outright laughs as Bria corrects herself, knowing that she is probably as amused at herself as he is. "So it appears, yes." He turns to look at his fellow ranger more seriously. "And I would say you have as much right to vote for yourself as any of us do. I do thank you -- and you --" he nods to Luna and Bria "--for your kind words and for your confidence in me. I had indeed held back from offering because we've known each other for so short a time. However, if you all want me, I'll do my best for you." Bah, I'm starting to sound like a politician. Best to stop there before it gets worse! He reaches for the pie instead and starts eating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back