• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Four: Enlightenment and the Daughters of Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bria blushes a little at Bren who is correct in his assertion of teammate. Then she looks Wolf in the eye and says, "Among the Ko, a leader can lead from any position. Our enemies are rarely certain which of us is in charge until it's too late." She gives a bolstering smile. "Don't let position in the party hold you back."

"Rrrrr..." Powerpaw sniffs a pie before tilting it back the plate and letting the whole dessert slide into his waiting maw. "Grumphlyummchompfygulp."

Bria nods to Powerpaw thoughtfully. "
I couldn't agree 'moar.' Hee hee!"

Wolf laughs at Luna as he says: "That's quite alright, Luna. My vote's with Bren as well." Then there is a spark in his eyes, and a cunning, almost predatory stare. "But I'll take that make-up offer anyway."

Luna blushes bright red at the implication. "I didn't mean it like that. I meant . . . oh, bother. Whatever I say will come out wrong." She struggles to get the conversation back to the issue at hand. "So, it sounds like I'm not the only one to have confidence in you, Bren. What do you say? Can you work with this motley bunch of misfits? Help us to be better adventurers than we are now?"

Bria turns to Luna with the most innocent expression and asks, "If you didn't mean it like that, how did you mean it?"

Mouth full and eyes wide, Powerpaw suddenly lurches forward, furry paws covering his maw. He is struggling, chuckling madly, trying very hard not to spit pie all over that gorgeous dining table...

Bria softly gasps at his predicament, readying herself to help him if he needs it. All the while the Ko healer remains completely clueless.

Luna looks more like a fish out of water as her mouth works to make sound, but nothing comes out except some squeaking and a very deep blush.

Bren is obviously both amused and embarrassed for Luna's sake. He's trying to hide it, but, well, he's just not that good at hiding things! After a moment, he manages to get enough control of himself to turn to Bria. "I'm sure she just meant that she owes Wolf a favor, of sorts, in return for not voting for him." Looking over the table, he searches for a nice, big cloth napkin to toss Powerpaw's way. After that, he leans across the table to pat Luna's shoulder encouragingly, then glances around, meeting everyone's eyes in turn. "I'm honored that you want me as your leader. I hope we'll learn a lot together, and become good friends along the way. Please know that I'm open to suggestions whenever time permits! You know your strengths and weaknesses better than I do, especially now at the start. I can make some guesses, and I'd like to think they'll be pretty good ones, but feel free to set me straight if it looks like I'm making a mistake. We're a team, not an autocracy! However, having said that, I'd like to establish some default roles and positions."

Bren looks first to Bronze. "You're more of a noncombatant, by what Bria told me, though you seem able to defend yourself at need. Would you be willing to stay with the wagons when missions call us away, or did you want to come with us? Either is fine; we've got a good-sized group here, but the wagons could use a guard. It's something we ought to have planned ahead of time, though, so in an emergency the mission group can just take off." He then nods to Powerpaw. "You and I will be at the front, most times. Our job is to do whatever we can to keep the bad guys from getting to our friends. After what you did to that ettin, I've no worries about you holding up your end." He turns to Bria. "Our healer should stay in the middle, where she can reach anyone that she needs to. One advantage of a healer over a cleric is that thrice-blessed range of yours!" He smiles, then looks to Luna. "As the most fragile of us, and the one with the farthest range, your place will generally be in the back, where bad guys have to go through all the rest of us to get to you. If someone does get in melee with you, try to avoid casting before you move away. The fewer chances they get to swing on you, the better. If nothing else, it's easier on your friends' nerves!" Nodding to Wolf, he continues, "Bad guys come up with the darndest surprises sometimes. I'd like you to stay with Luna, unless you're off scouting. Your skill with bows means you too can attack at range, and you can back up Luna if someone does get within striking distance, to hold them off until one of the rest of us can come help." Finally he turns to Otiorin. "It seems to me that our rogue ought best to stay mobile, having a flexible rather than a set position. I recommend flanking whenever the opportunity presents itself. In close quarters, maybe you'd care to start near Bria?"

Bren glances around at everyone. "Questions? Concerns? Random thoughts?" He smiles and waits.

Luna composes herself from her embarrassed squeaking. Trying to move on, she says, "I have recently learned the spell Haste, and I plan on making it a staple of my prepared spells. It speeds everyone up dramatically, giving everyone extra chances to attack. I can't wait to see Powerpaw in action with a Haste on him."

"Now that sounds like... some kind of something!" Wolf cries out. "A perfect setup if I've ever heard one. Of course it's one thing to be nodding heads over a dinner table, and entirely another to hold this up in battle. This ranger will do his best. 'Tis is a role to my liking."

When he was done speaking he nodded to Bren and then glanced at Luna with a naughty smile.

"I'll admit, I prefer flexibility and latitude when I work so that setup works for me.", Otiorin replied, "And I hope Bria knows, I'll always have her back in any situation,"

He glanced down the table at the Ko monk, whose attention was still shared between the half-choked Powerpaw and the interaction between Luna and Wolf. He sighed and looked back at his untouched meal.

"I'm going to go scout ahead of the wagons again, make sure we're not going to get into any more surprises.", he said, rising from his seat and hustling out the door as quickly as he could.

Bria, hearing her name, spins in the direction of the one who called it as surely as if she were directing a mass-healing on a chaotic battlefield. "Oh, you have more than that, good Otiorin," she glances at his plate then smiles openly, "you have my curiosity as well as my affection."

With that, she scoops up the piece of pie on her own plate along with a fork and napkin, and meets him at the door. "You're going off on one of your wood-walks, aren't you? Please be careful and take this?" She smiles at him in a way that only brings peace and good feelings. "Oh! And before I forget... about what you shared with me in the Wellspring of Change? Upon your return, there is something I would like your help with, if you don't mind? I'm trying, but I just can't figure it out on my own."

Bria to Storyteller: "He's making a break for it again, isn't he?"

ST: "It appears so."

Bria: "Um, I have Improved Initiative and I'm wearing Boots of Striding and Springing too. Might I meet him at the door? Maybe we can roll initiative together?"

ST: "No need to roll. He called your name and that's a good way to get someone's attention, especially a healer's."

Bria: "Oh good! I'll even give him some pie to enjoy on his trek!"

Concerning Bren's speech, once Bren asks for questions, Bria's hand shoots up like a flag in the air.

"Um, I have some questions. While I feel I'm getting to know each of you personally, and I like all of the goodwill we're sharing, I don't think I know most of you tactically." She winks and gives a little grin. "The team comes first. Ko monk teams get to know each other really well and I feel kind of empty not knowing folks here. For instance..."

"Luna, being the two true spellcasters of the party, would you mind if we shared our current spells lists? When I'm working with other full casters, I like to know this because you might have an idea for a spell of mine and vice versa. There's even a small chance we might work our spells to benefit the team more. For example, I don't think you'll need to cast Displacement on me if I have Sanctuary up, unless of course, our opponent doesn't have a brain (Sanctuary spells only affect creatures who can decide. A giant as opposed to a gelatinous cube)."

"Wolf? You're able to cast a few spells too, right? Mind sharing?"

"Bronze? Is there something we can be on the lookout for you? You're a blacksmith certainly, but what else could we help you with?"

"Otiorin's the biggest mystery of all to me - I can't figure out what he is. A rogue? A spellcaster? Both? And how did he make those claws appear when we were in the prison cage? Is that because Otiorin is dragon-blooded or is that a spell? Maybe someone told me and I forgot?"

"Oh, and what's this about this incarnation Vardradraug keeps mentioning? What is that and how do we get it? And what about the Daughters of Summertime? They seem to know lots. What kind of questions should we ask them? And Bren? Things have changed since you and I last worked together..."

ST: "That change being Pathfinder. Bren and Bria were last together when we were playing D&D 3.5

"I no longer have Cure Minor Wounds orison. It doesn't seem to exist. I can still cast spontaneously but now I can channel my positive energy, like a cleric. Unlike a cleric's, I still won't damage anything like undead, but I've recently learned how to leave targets out of the burst so I don't heal our enemies (again! That was so embarrassing!)." Bria turns to Powerpaw. 'How about you, fuzzy goof? Whew!"

Powerpaw speaks clearly now that he has successfully swallowed, and not spewed, his pie. "Uh... I haz a couple of big magic metal clubs for Bronze? Mebbe he kin melt 'em an' use 'em?"

"Goodie! What else?"

"Uhhh... My main ting is melee, but I isn't nearly so good at range, even wif dis magic bow I got offa da Bloodland Minotaurs."

[media]
[/media]

Otiorin was almost stepping through the door when the gentlest of hands touched his arm.

If she tells me to stay, would I? Could I fend off her request as easily as I fend off the urgings within my own heart?

"You're going off on one of your wood-walks, aren't you? Please be careful and take this?"

The scent of chocolate and.... chilli?.... caught his sensitive nose. He turned to be struck with the full broadside of her smile, and felt his resistance melting away like a wax candle in a fire.

"Oh! And before I forget... about what you shared with me in the Wellspring of Change? Upon your return, there is something I would like your help with, if you don't mind? I'm trying, but I just can't figure it out on my own."

His heart twisted as the words he'd spoken to her during their flight flooded back through gates he'd closed in his mind.

"But... of course. I'll.... I'll do my best.", he said, scooping the slice of pie up and wrapping it carefully in the napkin, "For later, to keep my strength up."

He smiled, a quick glimmer of cheerfulness, before he composed his face and left the wagon.

Outside the cool air combated against the flush that threatened to engulf his cheeks and the Half-Elf carefully slipped the pie into his pack. He was stood behind Stewart, in his usual seat driving the magical wagon. Otiorin looked across to where Whittle and Bonny were sat on the prison wagon, taking turns driving while diving into the basket of food between them. The closeness of the Hobbit couple both warmed his heart and saddened it, a bitter-sweet combination that quirked the corners of his lips even as he fought the sensation of tears rising in his eyes.

Action was needed. He placed a hand on Stewart's shoulder and said quietly, "I shall scout ahead a little ways, make sure there's nothing untoward in our path. If anything happens here, play me a tune. If I encounter anything,", he patted the pouch of Thunderstones, "well, you'll hear about it."

With that (and unless Stewart has anything to respond with), Otiorin hopped down and raced off along the road.

Luna gives the Ko monk a smile. "Of course I'll be happy to share my spells with you. I would have offered before, but since some casters work their magic in very different ways than the order of wizards that I come from, I wasn't sure you could. Whenever you are ready, I'll let you borrow my texts and you can copy them to your books."

The ranger notes Otiorin's exit with a turn of his head, following him until he left the room. He couldn't help but smile at what was going on between him and Bria. His reply to the Ko monk is simple: "I've access to a couple spells, yes, mostly to do with things you'd expect: Interaction with plant and animal life, movement, countering poison and traps, improving survivability and so on. Currently I've prepared an Entangle and Detect Snares spells."

- Entangle

- Detect Snares and Pits

"Alas, I've lost my spells again," Bren smiles wryly. "I expect to relearn them soon, though. As far as combat: like Powerpaw, I'm best in melee, but I'm not bad with a bow if the need is there. I prefer a defender-type role - keeping bad guys off my friends - but I can move around the battlefield pretty safely* if I need to, so I expect that if Powerpaw and I have to split up, I'll be the one splitting, as it were."

*a reference to his Mobility feat.

Bria's nose wrinkles as she realizes her mistake. "I'm sorry, Luna. I meant would you share with me what you have currently memorized? I don't have a prayer book to share; my spells are gained through meditation and practice." To Wolf, she nods and smiles approvingly. "Entangle and Detect Snares. Good combination! With those cast, we can root a bad guy while hopefully not getting rooted ourselves."

Then, for a moment, the peaceful young woman seems lost in thought. "Otiorin looked cheerful there for a moment! Honestly joyful! Like he had been touched by Ko! And yet... his words were hesitant. He is such a good speaker. For him to stammer makes me think he was distracted. But by what? It was only the two of us talking. Maybe it was the pie?"

The Ko monk returns to the present and to Luna. "Here's what lies in my mind... well... magically, anyway..."

Orisons (6) - Create Water, Deathwatch, Detect Magic, Light, Mending, Read Magic.

1st Level (6) - Goodberry, Protection from Evil (x2), Sanctuary (x2), Speak with Animals.

2nd Level (6) - Calm Emotions, Delay Poison, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Lesser Restoration.

3rd Level (5) - Create Food and Water, Neutralize Poison, Remove Curse, Restoration, Status.

4th Level (4) - Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Panacea (x2)*.

Channel Energy (Su) - 6/day. 0 used.

* See Spells Allowed in the spell tab of "Shop Talk" along with the Close Wounds spell.

Stewart simply waves to Otiorin and says, "Return to us safely or I will be short a drinking companion!"

Luna blinks as she realizes the confusion. "Oh, I'm sorry. I completely misunderstood! What I have memorized right now are more support spells for the others than ones that I will be using directly myself. There are a couple of strong offensive spells, but that is not my main focus." She goes on to explain what she has taken and how they can be used to help the party. "The Flame Arrow spell is good for anyone using a bow or crossbow to engage the enemy. It makes all of your arrows or bolts burst into flame to do more against the foe. Obviously, not something that we want to do if we run into fire-based monsters. Also, you won't be able to recover your ammunition; it all burns up. Haste is an excellent group spell, too. It speeds up everyone that I choose to target (as long as they are in range), giving you an increase in your Armor Class and a extra attack every round. Lets see. A couple of Shield spells can't hurt for either myself or someone else that needs it, and a new acquisition: two Enlarge Person spells. Imagine Powerpaw being even bigger and stronger! Of course, it will work on anyone, such as Bren if you would like it."

Level 0 - Message, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost

Level 1 - Shield x2, Enlarge Person x2, Unseen Servant, Gravity Bow

Level 2 - Extended Mage Armor, Scorching Ray x2, Blur

Level 3 - Haste, Fireball, Flame Arrow

Level 4 - Extended Displacement, Ball Lightning

Force Missile x8

Bria bounces happily. "Good spell selection. Gravity Bow and Ball Lightning are new spells to me; I've never seen them in action. Oh, and I love the idea of Extended Displacement! I wish I had defensive spells like yours! I get lots of spells per day, but my selection is permanently limited, kind of like a sorcerer whose spell selections are automatically provided, yet because they are divine I can choose among of them to memorize. Do you have any questions about my being a healer? I'm willing to be I'm the only one you've been teamed up with." The last question and statement are spoken to Luna, yet directed at anyone within earshot.

Bria then looks curiously to Luna. "I've been meaning to ask - how is it your fire-based spells are so very powerful? I've heard wizards can specialize, so I guess you're an evoker? Still, you know fire better than any mage I've seen. Is that coincidence?"

Luna ponders her response for a moment. "I have had an affinity for fire magic since my first day in the Casting Circle. I can take any Evocation spell and change it to a fire energy aspect. So, my Force Missiles or Ball Lightning can be cast as normal, or as a Flame Missile or Ball of Fire. With spells of the Evoker classification, I have extra strength. Plus, when I use fire magic, I have another boost of power. It just happened to work out perfectly for me. Now, I have wondered what it would be like to cross-train into a healer class of some kind, but I have always wanted to expand my arcane knowledge instead of spreading out to divine casting. Perhaps I'll change my mind about that someday."

Bria sits down and finishes her juice, listening to Luna intently. "We've got to get you to Highwind! They have arcanists of incredible power and reputation up there. But... your affinity for fire... sounds like a gift instead of something taught you. Kind of like my penchant for healing."

"Divine magic means living the way of the wise. It's really a rare person who masters both arcane and divine magic. Still, there are ways in the world to start from an earlier time of experience. Take Bren, for example. He gave his life essence for Mielikki! Just to help her heal! There are so many things harming her right now. The War in Highwind, the chaos between the Wood and Wild Elves, the coming of Vaprak the Destroyer (so glad he's gone!), not to mention having both Loviatar and Erythnul wanting her dead. If that happened, I think forests everywhere would fall to ruin. That would mean the loss of so much life..."

Then Bria brightens as she changes the direction her mind is going. "Say, if you became a divine caster, would you worship a god or goddess or a way of life or what?"

"Oh yah," Powerpaw says between bites of dessert. "I kin sees it nows. Sparkle-face wif a wittle holy book preachins ta people! Hoo hoo! Kin you imagine dats?"

"Well, at the moment, I make my devotionals to Boccob. As a god of magic, it was just natural. Being a divine and arcane caster for a god of magic? Why not?"

Bria clasps her hands in thought. "Well, every cleric and paladin I've ever met (the latter being all too few) is head-over-heels for their deity. Do you love Boccob so much as to devote part of your life to him? Becoming a cleric would come at some cost of your love of arcane fire magic, wouldn't it?"

Powerpaw finally finishes eating, stands up to his full fuzzy height, and stretches in the manner of cats. "I doesn't know nuffin' about spells. I just wanna know what killz dis Karthas guy da fastest. Somethin' tells me we earned a new enemy today. Anybody who wanted Dubble Trubble on his payroll is just plain evils. Oh... an' speakin' of payroll," Powerpaw pats his Bag of Holding, "Hey everybodies! I looted Dubble Deads an' I tink it iz only fair to share wif you! I doezn't quite know what I haz. Wanta get inta dis now or... wait until half-elf-face comes back?"

"I think we should wait. Besides, I'd like to talk to the faeries! And then I'd like a nice dip in the pool!" Bria can't help but giggle inside. Besides, the more time we give Luna and Wolf alone together, maybe the happier they'll be come morning? Those looks they were just giving each other earlier speaks of only one thing - ignition! I'm so happy for them!

Luna gives a wistful smile. "Seriously, I don't really think I'll take the step to become a cleric of Boccob. I have devoted too much of my life to the arcane side of casting with the goal of being this generation's greatest fire mage to turn away from that now."

As Luna and Bria delve deeper into the technicalities of magic, Wolf inconspicuously rises and slips away from the table, heading for the door.

- Entangle

- Detect Snares and Pits

Takes the magic weapons, and considers something, then goes to the Hobbits and asks em a spiffy question, "How about making this wagon a portable kitchen and forge? Draws his idea, "we can put water barrels along the side, stove here, forge here, anvil to the left and quencher next to it. Maybe an Ice cabinet next to the stove for storing perishables. Cutting table here, and lets see, sink here. Hum with this much open room I could even build maybe a water tank that can be heated and put on a pole for some kinda running hot water thing." Bronze being the one who concentrates talks about the idea of building a mobile shop and kitchen and keeps adding ideas. Hears his name, "I'm willing to defend the wagons, with Mr. and Misses Meadowsweets, and Stewart, we can have camp setup and food, drink, rest, and of course maybe some new toys once I talk to someone that knows more about the ore."

Bren nods to Powerpaw. "I think it would be best to wait until we are all together once more. It's very good of you to share, especially as loot was the last thing on our minds at the time - mine, at least." He smiles, then turns to Bronze and nods. "I'll be happy to introduce you to Ben the Smith when we reach Highwind. I think the two of you will have a lot in common." He scoops up a final piece of pie, tucks a napkin into his pocket, and rises from the table. "In the meantime, I think I'll check on the horses - and our fae guests - while our spellcasters compare notes." He gives Luna and Bria a grin, then walks to the door.

Once outside, he does indeed check on the horses, then invites the faeries to come along as he heads toward the smaller wagon. "Ho, Master and Mistress Meadowsweet! Would you like me to take over, whilst you enjoy dinner in more comfort? I believe Bronze had some ideas he wanted to consult you about, as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back