• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Wolf Rawrrr - Sheathing a weapon is a move-equivalent action, and so is picking one up - so you don't have time to do both. That's why Dann suggested just dropping the dagger: it doesn't take as much time (practically none, game terms) so you'd have time to grab your bow this round.

Well, the Displacement will protect me from half of the hits that would normally tag me through my AC, so getting a lucky strike in now and then is expected. Here comes my roll for the concentration check. I will probably blow it, so does that mean I lose the spell, or it just doesn't cast?

[dice]958[/dice]

Sherwood. It means the spell is lost, but when only a natural 20 will do, the 16 you rolled came close at least.

Just to double check; with the attack that hit me, did you make a roll to see if the strike hits me even with the Displacement going? The way it works is that even when a attack hits, you then roll percentile dice because there is a 50% chance that it will miss anyways.

Yes, Sherwood. I did. The roll was 58.

@Wolf Rawrrr Is Wolf sheathing his magical dagger or picking up his longbow from the ground?

@Kaerri What is Kitrin's reply (if any) to the squad of Grimdell's Guardians?

Dannigan said:
@Wolf Rawrrr Is Wolf sheathing his magical dagger or picking up his longbow from the ground?
I didn't know that sheathing a weapon was a full action, sorry. Though it makes sense since it is the opposite of unsheathing it, which is a full action as well. Just didn't occur to me I suppose *bark*

I have changed the word "sheaths" to "discards" in my last post. Wolf dropped the dagger to the ground in order to prepare his bow in time to attack next round.

I think Wolf should pioneer the use of lanyards for weapons...

Also, damage roll.

Captain Hesperus

[dice]968[/dice]

Cap, Otiorin went a little early (I hadn't yet posted for Bria, Powerpaw, the non-combatants [who are still making the triage], and the gnolls). I'll keep your actions for the next turn? =)

Combat initiative order:

20 - Otiorin
(Gravity Bow and Shield active. Using normal short sword.)

20 - Luna (Mage Armor,Shield, and Displacement active. Sparkle's status: Alert with Luna. Spell Resistance: 12 active.)

18 - Wolf (Pecker's status: Alert and high above. Using Dagger of Illumination +2.)

18 - Non-combatants (Bronze, the Meadowsweets, Stewart)

15 - Kitrin (using Flail +2 and Heavy Darkwood Shield +2)

14 - Bria (using Force Shield ring and walking stick +2; has declared a Prepared Action)

12 - Powerpaw (using bloody two-handed maul +2)

10 - Entire shrinking gnoll force

There are currently two groups of gnolls within your vicinity (there are more attacking other parts of the caravan).

Group 2
(3/18 gnolls). Their leader is on the ground and Grimdell's Guardians are doing their best to make the gnoll leader and Kitrin, a one-on-one fight .

Group 3 (6 gnolls). These fiends, two of whom were wounded by Wolf and attacking at range, are following group 2's leader's order to take out Luna. Two in melee are attacking Luna, two more are throwing axes at her, and two more are now on Powerpaw.

Current situation:

--Grimdell's Guardians have noted that only the gnoll squad leader and two others are left. Despite outnumbering the gnolls now, this wounded and exhausted squad of Guardians appear willing to hold back and defend themselves if your force wishes to win the battle there. They look like they could all use the break. They are fighting two gnolls and leaving the leader to you.

--Luna has two in melee and two more throwing axes at her.

--Otiorin has but one target left. =)

--Wolf has his bow in hand and is free to fire upon whomever he chooses.

--Bria is supporting Luna and is also nearby Otiorin and Wolf.

--Powerpaw is raising hell with the gnolls and supporting Luna.

--Bronze and the Meadowsweets continue to create a triage of sorts for any wounded.

I was trying to maneuver out of melee, but if there is no opening for her to slip out, then yes, I'll risk the attacks of opportunity from the two gnolls.

What about critical chance? Some weapons have that displayed but we never roll for crit. When does it come into play? *bark*

In my tabletop game of Pathfinder, when you roll a natural 20 (or lower if you have an extended critical threat range due to magic weapons or Feats), you roll again to see if you confirm the crit. If that second roll hits, your attack is a critical and you multiply your damage based on what your weapon stats say. Some are x2, others are x3 or more.

Wolf. Well put, Sherwood. Wolf, the gnoll that nailed Luna for 26 points of damage did so only because of a critical hit (two natural twenties in a row! I'm still reeling over that!). Like the battle axe, Wolf's longbow and Otiorin's shortbow also "crit for times three" or in other words, get triple the normal damage dice upon a confirmed critical hit. There are also a small number of magical items in Sharseya that can "keen" a weapon (or double its threat rate) and the weapon Keen Edge does the same.

Also, in a big change from D&& 3.5, "keen" items in Pathfinder do not stack like they used to. In D&D 3.5, one could have a rapier (threat range on a natural 18-20) with Keen Edge cast upon it (threat range becomes 15-20) used by a character with the Improved Critical Feat (which goes into threat range on a natural roll of 12-20!). Overboard, yes?

I think I wrote this before on the Adventurers' Table, but it's worth mentioning again - some creatures in Pathfinder (and D&D 3.0 and up) are completely immune to critical hits (two examples are Gelatinous Cubes and Green Slime - they simply don't have "weak spots" but thankfully, there are other things in the world that harm them). I try to keep creatures like these to a minimum, but be careful, because they are out there... *wiggle wiggle*

Sherwood. Oh my gosh! That new pic for Luna is an old favorite of ours! When Kaerri rolled her Ko monk years ago, that was the picture she chose for Grainne (pronounced "Grahn-ya")! Ha ha!

Re: Luna's tactics. Luna can definitely take a 5-foot step back and cast without causing an attack of opportunity (your battlefield is mostly open ground, thank gosh). Good thinking! Also, remember she can Cast Defensively again if she can't move for some reason. =)

And speaking of @Kaerri, I believe it's Kitrin's turn against the gnoll leader who very nearly got her with that battle axe of his!

Dannigan said:
I think I wrote this before on the Adventurers' Table, but it's worth mentioning again - some creatures in Pathfinder (and D&D 3.0 and up) are completely immune to critical hits (two examples are Gelatinous Cubes and Green Slime - they simply don't have "weak spots" but thankfully, there are other things in the world that harm them). I try to keep creatures like these to a minimum, but be careful, because they are out there... *wiggle wiggle*
There's a particular line that comes to my mind every time I think of creatures immune to critical hits. If you've seen Galaxy Quest, you know this scene...

[media]
[/media]

Undead are also famous for not being affected by crits, and when you fight them, that is when you roll 20 after 20, just as if the God of Dice is giving you the finger.

This fight is also a reminder that I need to pick up the Haste spell ASAP. Having a few scrolls of that tucked into my belt will be quite useful.

I know that with every level up I get to add two spells to my list, but what about in between levels? How common/rare is it going to be for me to come across a source of new magic that I can scribe into my book? From either another wizard or a arcane scroll we come across?

Sherwood. Re: finding new spells. This is a common question among the "spell-collecting" in Sharseya. The answer is pretty much the same for whatever you're looking for: To find it, go to where things like that are found. Summerset is a terrific city for arcanists (and while you have left there, it is easy to say that Luna has studied in the arcane colleges and among other families of wizards and would-be wizards. Plus, since you know where it is, you can always return there at some point.

In Highwind, Luna has heard of a "Sages' Guild" (Highwind has many guilds) where the arcanists unfold time-worn scrolls and become enlightened by tomes and journals not found elsewhere. Otiorin's birthplace is another excellent realm (that probably surpasses Summerset) for wizards, sorcerers, and bards to "rise among the wise." Luna has also heard of a small and growing college in the seashore city of Glimmerdawn, where the laid-back locals ride boards across the very water and the native animals grow to immense size somehow.

Sure, some spells nay turn up in your adventures as part of the treasures you collect, but that's really leaving Luna's education to chance. I think the best thing for her to do is what you might do in Real Life when in a foreign nation - ask the locals! Arcane spells are not quite as common as divine spells in this part of Sharseya, so mark them down on your notes when you find them. You never know when a good notebook might lead to some fantastic and useful knowledge down the road. Just ask Kaerri. =)

All. Re: Dividing. How is this style of dividing action scenes working for everyone? I am using it because it makes it easier and faster for me to find what I need without really breaking my immersion. Is it working for you too, or would you rather I change it some way?

All. Re: Prepared Action. Bria effectively loses her action as her condition did not come to pass, but that's the gamble one plays when preparing an action. Given what happened with Luna, Bria is quite satisfied to watch over and heal while attracting as little attention from the enemy as she can. If there are any questions on how the Prepared Action works, please ask. =)

Wolf. Re: Powerpaw's critical hit. There's a crit for the Wardens' for you! Wooo! And on the gnoll that crit Luna! Turnabout is fair play, yes? =)

Last edited by a moderator:
All. Congratulations, folks! With only two fleeing gnolls left, the Wardens have turned the tide of the battle here and saved not only the caravan staff, but a squad of Grimdell's Guardians, too!

We now move to out-of-combat style RP. Remember that combat can happen just as quickly as it did before, so be careful - you are still on a field of battle with a lot going on (and that's the way it is in Sharseya some days! =) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back