• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

This is our OOC channel. Let's take the Conversation chat here. =)

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wolf. Ha ha ha! Good ol' Wolfie! You are concerned about feeding a creature you haven't even met in-game yet. That is so cool of you. =) Re: Feeding your birdie. First off, if you want a hawk, that's fine. However, the cost of feeding your animal companion will greatly depend on what animal you have chosen.

As Kaerri mentioned, a Ranger (or Druid) gets
one animal companion. Given that your character is 6th level, the animal companion that you choose will be slightly stronger and more able than at 4th level (when the Hunter's Bond class ability is gained).

Re: Animal Companion choices. So, given that you are starting out where you are, your animal companion choices are: badger, bird, cat (small), dog, horse, pony, snake (viper or constrictor), wolverine or wolf. Whatever you choose will trust you (and only you unless you say Leonard has some close bond with fellow party members - we haven't yet decided how long the party has known each other). General disclaimer here: Don't screw this trust up. Your animal companion sees you as a friend and a creature worth helping. But, in most cases, it is still a wild animal and will not take kindly to being treated like a domesticated creature (unless of course you choose a domesticated animal - the default for Rangers in my game is wild).

Feed, Bird

Source Animal Archive

Price 5 cp/day; Weight 1/2 lb.

This mixture of seed and dead insects is suitable food for small birds such as ravens, crows, and chickens. Birds of prey such as falcons, hawks, and owls can also sustain themselves on bird feed, though they typically require at least two servings per day. Larger avian creatures such as axe beaks and griffons require larger portions of meat, and cannot survive on bird feed alone.
My bird's a falcon, so it requires double the food. It's a bird of prey after all. But I was asking if it can also sustain itself by hunting - not in a city maybe, but out on the road definitely, no?

And I was wondering if I can have the falcon like an ordinary pet, not through a bond. Since I can only have one bond I would like to hold it off until I can find a more... canine companion *bark*

But people keep pet falcons even without special bonds I think. Those birds can be trained.

Having the falcon as an ordinary pet? Oh, certainly! And for a Ranger with as many ranks as Leonard has in Handle Animal, why not? Don't bother spending your gold on a trained hunting falcon. Any other class besides Druid (especially one without Handle Animal), sure, they likely get to buy the falcon from a bird handler/trainer, but I don't feel right "charging" a Ranger or Druid for an ordinary pet at the start of our game. Sustaining your falcon is very possible, but you may not want to send your bird out into violent territory (and you will soon be on such territory). When things are calm, by all means. =) Also, I will post the statistics for your falcon on the same thread as your character sheet. Do you have a name for this sharp-taloned little friend?

Sorry to confuse your falcon with Sherwood's former familiar (the hawk). =)

Re: Finding a Wolf animal companion. I can make this happen. =)

So what kind of table is it?

Rustic wood table?

furn_table_big.jpg
Dining table?

traditional-dining-tables.jpg
Wood-and-water table?

table-2.jpg
Bat-table?

battable1.jpg
Round table?

cherry-crab-pot-table--MjkyLTU0OS4xMjAxNw==.jpg
Picnic table?

Foldable-Picnic-Table-Turns-Into-A-Garden-Bench-2.jpg
Swing table?

table-big.jpg

Kaerri, you are such a goof-ette! Ha ha ha! =)

All. Speaking of goof, I wanted this OOC thread in the Main forum. Kaerri is helping me figure out how this whole forum thing works. One must contact Admin to make this happen, yes?

Not at all. I do believe you can click the small Edit button you see by each thread, and simply select where you would like to move it to. Do be careful where you are moving it, though. If you accidentally send it to another RP entirely, then you will really find yourself in need of Admin assistance *bark*

I have my falcon listed in the inventory at the end, just above Money in the Special category. His name is there, too. It's Pecker :tongue:

Another thing. How am I supposed to write out my character's history in the About section when I know nothing of the realm. I can't reference a city, nor region, nor do I know anything about... anything, really. What should I do?

Wolf. Re: Falcon. Oh, right! I had forgotten. You named him Pecker (which, by the way, is another name for a man's sexual part here in U.S. - just letting you know!). Re: history. Well, I recommend checking out what your fellow players have written and follow their approach. Names and places will come as we play; right now, I am just looking for something that gives me a strong idea about who your character is. Details can be provided if I approve the story (and so far, your fellow players have provided just what we need). =)

Wolf. Re: Edit. I've played with the Edit features and I don't see an option to move anything.

@Sherwood (and anyone else interested). Sparkle, Luna's new familiar has been created and is posted in Luna's character thread. "New familiar"... Isn't that an "oxymoron"? Either way, enjoy! =)

RE: Pecker. I am well aware of the barbarism of the modern era which knows no bounds, and feel obliged to point out from where I drew my inspiration for Pecker: http://bastion.wikia.com/wiki/Pecker

I hope the name will not be disruptive for you. When I hear it, my thoughts race to Bastion and nowhere else thankfully! *bark*

As for the edit thing, I have unintentionally misled you. Allow me to make up for it with a copy of Wolf's Non-Misleading Guide to Moving Threads for RPs, v1.01

D6by1Vp.jpg

1) Select the thread(s) you wish to move by checking the square next to the title as seen on the picture (red circle)

2) Choose "Move Threads..." from the drop-down menu as seen on the picture (red rectangle)

72RDwWs.jpg

3) In the pop-up window that will display, scroll down and within the Dice Roleplays find "Sharseya" as seen on the picture (red rectangle).

4) Choose the subforum where you would like to move your thread(s). Choosing "Sharseya" will place them in the root of the subforum

Voilá! Your thread(s) have been safely relocated. If this article was helpful, don't forget to like it, share, recommend to friends, buy on Amazon, frame on your wall and recite every night before sleep.

Oh, this is terrific! Thank you, Wolf! Re: Pecker. I would welcome a different definition to the word, Pecker! Please allow me to read up on this. It's not disruptive at all - just be warned that any rude-minded NPCs out there (there's always one!) who learns it might try to have a laugh at your expense (which in turn allows you to teach that jerk the reasons why people respect Rangers). Also, Pecker's basic statistics are ready just below your character sheet. You have the option of giving Pecker four "tricks" to learn (i.e. Commands to follow like "Come", "Seek", "Fetch", etc.). Re: Relocating. Let me give this a shot and thanks again for teaching me. =)

Oh my gosh, was that easy! Allow me to toss freshly-killed elk meat at your feed, good Wolf! Yahoo! =) Re: Pecker. And the adult Peckers are pretty cool looking. Thank you for providing another definition in my head (I don't like the one that I had). Also, if you have gone this far, what kind of falcon is Pecker? Peregrine, Brown falcon? I have been reading a little about them on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon . Feel free to add images of Pecker if you'd like. =)

Wow I cannot believe you've not played Bastion. It is a wonderful game, Dannigan, gameplay-wise, graphics-wise and perhaps most importantly story-wise. I literally cry at the end every time, and it playing through it bestows immense inspiration upon me. In short it ruffles my fur, it does! *howl*

Thanks for breathing life into my falcon <3 The four tricks seem quite definitive when you take into account that I am supposed to be able to speak to him with my signature ability. I mean, will he only ever do the four tricks and nothing else?

And what do I have to do in order to learn the newly added Carry Companion? I steered way clear of any spells when I was making my character because I did not want to complicate things further but this seems like a pretty cool thing to have :D

I am very much looking forward to this game. Now, let me go check out the details of my familiar!

Sherwood. Me too! =)

Wolf. Re: Carry Companion. Leonard will need one of two things. 1. He will have to reach 8th level (whereupon Rangers gain the ability to use 2nd level Ranger skills unless... 2. You can somehow find a way to permanently increase Leonard's Wisdom from 13 to 14 (one point! Yow!). That will raise his ability score modifier from +1 to +2, and increase will allow him to have a bonus 2nd level spell at 7th level. Under 2nd level Ranger spells, you will see a "-" for 6th level Rangers, "0" for 7th level Rangers, and "1" for 8th level Rangers.

So, while Sherwood's character is currently the only one who gets to start with that spell (if he chooses it for Luna), your character will have the option at a higher level, and it looks like you two are the only ones who will have the ability to make use of it at all.

Re: Tricks. Yours is probably the most-commonly asked question when it comes to Tricks. "Can't my animal learn more than this?" The answer is: Not without a boost to his Intelligence score (I am using "his" generically here - I don't know Pecker's gender). Pecker (and most other normal creatures) only has an Intelligence score of 2. So while, yes, Leonard can use his Signature Ability to Speak with Animals at will, Pecker really isn't that bright a creature. He'll try, but four tricks is probably all he can definitely keep in his head as far as one-word commands go. He can most certainly do other things, but it might require your explaining (preferably in small words) what it is you want done. Also, since you speak Pecker's language, you can very likely get away with a whole lot of things other average falconers can't. For example, they can tell their falcons, "Fetch!" and point at a group of small items, and their falcon will come back with one of those items randomly. Leonard might instead say, "Fetch blue!" and Pecker will understand to "bring the blue thing back and not anything else." But that's about as complex as it gets unless Pecker's little brain somehow gets bigger. =)

I actually didn't think of the slang when I saw the name of your falcon - I just assumed it had a habit of, well, pecking at things! Because birds, y'know.

I also want to point out that at level 8 we'll get a point to drop into abilities, which could also be used to raise Leonard's Wisdom score. And technically, I believe Leonard is able to cast two 1st-level spells per day right now, from the Ranger spell list (summarized below for your convenience, with links to full descriptions).

Alarm: Wards an area for 2 hours/level.

Animal Messenger: Sends a Tiny animal to a specific place.

Calm Animals: Calms 2d4 + level HD of animals.

Charm Animal: Makes one animal your friend.

Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.

Detect Animals or Plants: Detects kinds of animals or plants.

Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or object.

Detect Snares and Pits: Reveals natural or primitive traps.

Endure Elements: Exist comfortably in hot or cold regions.

Entangle: Plants entangle everyone in 40-ft. radius.

Hide from Animals: Animals can't perceive one subject/level.

Jump: Subject gets bonus on Acrobatics checks.

Longstrider: Your base speed increases by 10 ft.

Magic Fang: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1 on attack and damage rolls.

Pass without Trace: One subject/level leaves no tracks.

Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.

Resist Energy: Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.

Speak with Animals: You can communicate with animals.

Summon Nature's Ally I: Summons creature to fight for you.

Of course, the Speak with Animals spell is redundant, as you already can. The way it works is Leonard can spend an hour each morning (assuming a full night's rest beforehand) to prepare his day's spells. At that time, you choose which spells will fill the two "slots" you have. (You can put the same spell in each slot if you want.) You can then cast those spells, but once you've cast a "slotted" spell, it's gone for the day.

For spell purposes, your caster level is your ranger level -3 (so, currently, your caster level is 3).

@killfire @Sherwood @Kaerri @Captain Hesperus @Wolf Rawrrr (I know you get notices; I just said I would give a shout when the adventure is ready, and it is!)

Two things of important note:

1. We never really got around to how long the party has known each other? A short time? Since 1st level? Longer than that? What would you like?

2. Your party has not yet met the two party NPCs that I will make available for you. Like all NPCs, you are free to keep them in your group or not as the party decides.

Game on! =)

And I can't help but get this song out. Rush is my favorite band and this song on their latest album is most fitting:

[media]

[/media]
And here one more fitting (from the Lonely Mountain Band. "Far apart, never alone!" /cheer ):

[media]

[/media]
Honor and fun,

Dannigan =)

I'd like to have been together for at least a few levels' worth of adventures. Not to say we know everything about each other, but to have gotten to know each other at least a little and to have formed some trust between us.

I'm in agreement with Kaerri. Having the group come together with a few levels under their belts seems more 'realistic'. Some, who have been adventuring for some time might have flicked between groups trying to find a place to fit in, while others (like Otiorin) are recent entrants to the Dungeoneering Guild's ranks.

Hmm. Here it is. What do each of you want the others in your team to know about your character? What do you want them to have learned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back