• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arendelle: Return of the Sky King

"It really is..." Elsa said, smiling as she thought of all the memories she had of this place. Her early childhood was a happy one, until the incident where she accidentally struck Anna with her ice. From then until adulthood, it was a hard time for her.

But after she discovered what she could really do, and learned to control her powers, she had nothing but amazing memories in this place. Arendelle, the forest, and now her time spent with David, however short it had been. But maybe... maybe it didn't have to end so soon.

Once or twice, she caught him staring. It caused her to blush each time, looking away frantically as she tried to control her nerves. She had overcome herself, she had overcome Arendelle's difficult past and set things right. She had overcome the emotions of feeling lonely and lost. But now this was a new thing altogether. It was similar to the feeling she had for her sister but more... intense. Anna said the two of them were made for each other, and something was making her start to believe that. She could be entirely herself around David.

She was glad for the momentary distraction when the waiter returned, offering to pour her another glass of wine. Elsa politely refused, saying that everything had been wonderful but they should be going. Glancing at the setting sun, she realized just how long the two of them had been wandering and dining. What she thought would be lunch ended up being more of an early dinner.

"There's one more part of Arendelle you should see." The queen said, standing and turning to David.

Once he joined her, she led him back to the castle, to one of the highest towers facing west. Walking onto the balcony, Elsa urged him to join her.

In front of them, over the glistening fjords, was a beautiful sunset. The colors of the sky were a rainbow mixed with blues, pinks, and yellows, swirling together in what looked like a majestic painting. There wasn't a cloud left in the sky, a perfect image of the sun sinking beyond the horizon.

"This..." Elsa said fondly. "Is my favorite part of the city."

During their conversation, David thought he saw Elsa blushing once ore twice, but wrote it off as his imagination or a hot part of the meal that she had ingested. Their conversation went from the history of Arendelle to their own personal history. They mainly focused on their early childhood and the events before their respective tragedies, moving on to other subjects just when the timetable of conversation reached that cusp.

David had never been able to connect with someone like this. Sure, he had friends in his Elven family, even had a few crushes, but nothing serious ever came of it. He attributed it to his stony heart and how he hadn't ever truly forgiven the men that hurt him. Since that was done, he could try love now. The waiter came and David thought about ordering some wine, but stopped when Elsa mentioned they were leaving. Indeed, they had been at the restaurant for nearly three hours. Time flew when he was with her.

She led him to a high part of the castle, the Ice Queen almost giddy as she did so. When they arrived, the view was breathtaking, and he nodded. "I see why." He had a thought and turned to Elsa. "I...I'd like to show you something. Here." He extended his hand. When she took it, he was able to channel his power through her, and they both lifted off the ground. David set the pressure around them to double what he normally used, since she was new to flying, and they steadily rose into the air. They passed over Arendelle and got high enough to where they could even see the Enchanted Forest and the lake within.

Then he took them westward and they flew over the sea toward the setting sun. Some clouds passed by overhead, and once they were fully under the white billows of air and water, he stopped them gently, still holding onto her hand. He looked at her with a smile. "Keep your eyes open." They ascended slowly through the cloud layer, and in a minute or two they broke through. The clouds went on for miles like a frothy sea, the sun setting at the horizon. "This is where I come when I need to get away." He sighed contentedly and squeezed Elsa's hand subconsciously.
1583165576407.png

Elsa was pleased when she saw that David was enjoying the view, exited to share this special time and place with him. He then said he wanted to show her something in return, and held out his hand.

As she took it, the blonde felt the air pressure around the two of them changing, and her feet slowly left the ground. They were flying! Actually, truly flying!

They passed through the sky, overlooking Arendelle and then the Enchanted Forest she now called her home. Then, after a few more minutes, they rose through the clouds. It was chilly on her skin, but she was never bothered by the cold.

Then, as they emerged from the clouds, she was treated to an even more breathtaking sight -- the sun in the sky over a sea of clouds.

"This is..." She spoke up, taking a moment to take it all in. "This is beautiful. It's hard to believe that you have the ability to see something like this whenever you want." She glanced over at David, still holding tight to her hand, and smiled. "This is so amazing."

David looked back at her with a a soft smile. She seemed so beautiful, with the sunset caressing her features. But when he caught himself staring, and her blushing, he looked away quickly. "I, uh, yeah, it's a really nice view." He wasn't entirely talking about the clouds and sun. As they floated there, he couldn't help but think about how similar she looked to his late mother. "So, um, Elsa," he looked back to her. "Anna asked me to stay for a week. I accepted." He guided them back down through the cloud layer to above the sea below, and then back to Arendelle.

He couldn't help but notice the small ministrations her fingers were making across his hand as he held it. Was it subconscious? He shook it off as such. She didn't really know him, so he didn't think she'd be attracted to him. But, he couldn't deny the fact that he did wish her to find him desirable. Having a fellow Spirit as a friend...as a mate? He shook his head. Friend, David. Friend. Mate is too soon.

They arrived back at the spire from whence they left, and David set them gently back down. He thought about just letting go of her hand, but he didn't want to. Her grip hadn't lessened either. He sighed contentedly and looked at her, taking in all her beauty as the last rays of the sun dipped under the horizon. Maybe...just maybe there was a chance. "Elsa..." he started...

Elsa didn't realize the patterns she was tracing over the back of David's hand as they admired the sunset together. After the last of the light disappeared beyond the horizon, David slowly began their descent back to the castle. They landed on the same balcony from which they left, feet touching down softly against the stone.

David explained that Anna had offered to let him stay in Arendelle for a week. Of course, Elsa understood the true reasoning behind her sister's actions, but didn't mention it to the other Spirit as he added that he had accepted. She gave a small smile, part of her excited to spend more time with him.

A few stars began twinkling in the sky, sign of the approaching night. "Elsa..." David began. He caught her attention and she turned away from the dark sky to face him, her hand still wrapped delicately in his. "Yes, David?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper at this point.

David's heart was beating so fast, he didn't know how to handle it. He had never felt this way before. But, at the same time, it was more than a simple feeling. It was a knowledge. Knowledge that he wanted someone to spend the rest of his life with. Knowledge that Elsa caused things to swim through his head that no-one else before had been able to. "I...I was wondering, did you want to do this tomorrow, too?"

He didn't realize it, but when he turned toward her, he had closed the distance between them, just a few inches of air was the only barrier keeping them apart. He wanted her to say yes, but at the same time, he really didn't know what to do if she did. He was really just winging it. He gulped as he saw her eyes register what he had just said, praying to God that she'd say yes.

After a few moments, David finally spoke. It was as if he had to summon the courage to ask what he wanted to ask, as if he was afraid that Elsa might reject him. At last, he asked her if she would like to go back out and spend the day with him again tomorrow.

Elsa smiled a little shyly. It was unlike her to feel so unsure but also so sure at the same time, conflicting emotions swirling around in her head. She was unsure of the feelings she had, never having had them before. It was almost like a longing to spend more of her time with him, to get to know David better. She was sure of her answer, though.

"I would love to."

It took a moment for her to realize just how close the two of them had become, David's abrupt movement bringing him only inches from her own face. Her blush deepened and she bit her lip slightly, wondering if he would pull away and be gone from her personal space as quickly as he had come.

David let out a breath as Elsa accepted. To be honest, he hadn't expected her to accept so eagerly. As she spoke, he finally took stock of reality and realized just how close they were to each other.

.........He gulped and drew away quickly

Had he been on the battlefield or even at home completing a menial task, he'd have noticed her reaction to their proximity, that it wasn't negative. But all he could think about was offending her and potentially ending their friendship as soon as it started. "I-I-I'm sorry, Elsa," he stammered. "I uh...didn't mean to get too close...I'm sorry." He looked down in shame, thinking he had disgraced some sacred law by entering her personal space like that.

As Elsa thought, David almost immediately pulled away once he noticed their proximity to one another. Some deep part of her wished that he hadn't; it longed for him to come back, but he didn't. Instead, he apologized for intruding into her personal space.

Accepting that he had chosen to keep his distance for the time being, she shook her head and smiled a little, hoping to reassure him so that he wouldn't think he had committed some sort of horrible infraction. "That's alright," she replied softly. "Shall we head in, then?"

She didn't want the situation between the two of them to become awkward, so she took the lead and headed to the interior of the castle. Elsa knew that Anna meant for David to stay here, and it seemed easiest to let him return to the same room that he had borrowed previously while he stayed overnight.

"Do you know how to get back?" The blonde asked, turning to David as they entered the hallway and started down the corridor. "I can walk with you if you're not sure." It wasn't too far out of the way for her, but she didn't want to bother him if he didn't need her assistance.

David sighed in relief when she smiled and said it was alright. "Yes, let's." As they headed in, David was thankful that the awkward scenario had dissipated, mostly due to Elsa's quick decision to head inside. They got to the intersecting hallways and David thought about his answer for a brief second. He could just use the varying air pressure to find the path to his room, but he thought having Elsa by his side would be more beneficial that showing off.

"I would appreciate that," he said with a smile.

They walked slow, neither of them wanting this moment to end, but also knowing it must. After several minutes of conversation and David having a suspicion that they'd passed that one suit of armor more than once, they finally arrived at David's room. He wasn't upset. If anything, he was glad she'd taken them around the halls to make more time with him. His breath caught in his throat as he realized what this implication meant. "I...guess this is it," he said, not really sure of what else to say.

He'd conquered ethereal beasts, he'd bonded with elemental spirits, killed dozens of monsters and tyrants, and defeated an armada. But, it seemed he couldn't conquer this feeling in his heart.

The two of them began walking and chatting, and Elsa noticed that she was leading him in circles without meaning to. It was like her subconscious wanted this night to go on without end. But she knew that, eventually, it had to.

They finally reached David's room, which neither of them seemed thrilled about. It appeared that David was as eager to continue their conversation as she was.

"I... I guess this is it." David said, clearly trying to draw things out.

Elsa smiled. "Yeah, I guess so." She replied. The ice queen waited for a moment. What was she waiting for? Something in her gut told her to stay, to see what may happen if she held out only a few moments longer. Her rational mind told her nothing would come of this, that she was making things awkward by standing around.

"I... I suppose I'll see you tomorrow, then?" Elsa said hopefully.

David paused as Elsa said she'd see him tomorrow. He didn't want the moment to end, but at the same time was scared to cross an invisible line. He decided to go for it, albeit via a gentler route than what his heart was telling him to do.

He stepped forward and grasped her hands in his, and looked her in the eyes. "Before we go, I just needed to tell you," he looked down at the carpeted stone floor, and back up to the woman that was making butterflies roll in his stomach, "I had a really great time thanks to you...with you. I...I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, Elsa."

"I had a really great time thanks to you... With you. I... I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, Elsa."

The ice queen couldn't help but melt a little at his words. They were so... Kind. Almost loving. Like David genuinely enjoyed every moment that the two of them had spent together today.

She gave a small, heartfelt smile. "I had a really great time, too, David." The elemental replied. "I'm glad we got to spend today together, and I really am excited to see what tomorrow brings. I've always felt so nervous about the future, like I have to enjoy every moment of the present in case it all comes crashing down around me. But lately... That's all faded. I can just enjoy the moment and not be afraid of what tomorrow brings." Elsa gave a small, sheepish shrug with a bit of a chuckle. "I feel very... Grounded, when I am around you. Even when we're flying through the sky."

"I feel very... Grounded, when I am around you. Even when we're flying through the sky."

To say that David was shocked to hear Elsa respond that way would be the understatement of his lifetime. He was expecting maybe a 'see you tomorrow' or at the most, 'Me too'. He opened and closed his mouth a few times, trying to form a response, but came up empty. His hands were still holding hers, but all he knew was those big, beautiful blue eyes searching his soul.

After what seemed like forever, a bell rang in the distance, marking the night curfew for sailing. It broke David out of his stupor and he tried responding with something that remotely matched what Elsa had said.

"Elsa, when...when I was with you tonight, I felt more complete than I ever have. I feel as though I could face all the armies in the world and come out victorious with you at my side."

He turned beet red at this, realizing just what he had implied without thinking.

With her... At his side?

Elsa was probably nearly as red as David was by now. He had -- probably unwittingly -- implied that he might enjoy having her at his side. Did that mean what she thought it meant?

No, surely not?

The awkward silence stretched between them for a moment, and Elsa decided to relieve them both of that pressure by clearing her throat, hoping that by now her blush had faded.

"I'm glad you had a good time. I guess I'll see you tomorrow, then?" She spoke up, smiling that sweet, shy smile. "Good night, David."

David nodded vigorously, agreeing wholeheartedly that they should see each other tomorrow instead of make this any more awkward. "Y-yeah," he said, rubbing the back of his head as he finally released her hands. "That uh...that sounds great. Good night."

With that, he hurriedly turned around and *bonk* hit his nose right on the door, then opened it and entered the room quickly, ensuring to lock the door behind him. "Ow," he whispered, holding his bruised nose...and ego as he leaned against the door.
(I hope you don't hate me for this lol)

Then, as he remembered his life, remembered how he lost everything, and that he felt finally complete with God bringing Elsa into his life, he started singing.

Last edited:
Elsa chuckled a little as David ran into the door, covering her mouth to try to hide her smile as he excused himself. After the door latched behind him, she sighed happily and turned, heading down the hallway.

It was late, but she knew her sister Anna would be awake, probably trying her best not to spy on them. She went looking for her, hoping to talk to the redhead about what happened today.

When she reached Anna and Kristoff's room, she could hear that the two of them were deep in a conversation.

It can wait until morning, then, Elsa thought as she headed back to her own bedroom. Having never had feelings like this before, she simply wanted Anna's advice, since it seemed that her sister was truly and deeply in love with the man she married.

Reaching her bedroom, Elsa gently shut the door behind her and changed into pajamas. She sighed as she lay in bed, and all night long she swore she could hear singing.

The next morning, David got up in a very, very happy mood. He was excited to see Elsa again, but he didn't want that to be on blast. He got dressed, cleaned himself up well and even combed his hair to the side. He wanted to look his best for the woman he was slowly falling for. He pulled a sweet-smelling herb from his jacket - an herb that was used in colognes in his home village - and crushed it in his hand, then spread the residual juice on his neck and collar.

Once he was satisfied that he was presentable, he headed out to the breakfast hall and ordered some biscuits and bacon along with freshly squeezed oranges. He was amazed at Elsa's ability to permafrost part of the kitchen's storage to keep foods fresher longer. Once finished, he headed out to the gardens to wait. It was their meeting place before, and they hadn't really set a new meeting place, so it seemed the most obvious.

After a little while, he turned and smiled at the sound of the door to the garden opening, expecting Elsa. However, he was not expecting her to look like that! He dropped his jaw at the sight before him. He thought he had prepared, but...Elsa was...Elsa was...if she was beautiful yesterday, she was no less than gorgeously stunning today.

Elsa had woke early, well, earlier than usual. She wanted to eat breakfast and seek out Anna before meeting up with David this morning. As expected, her sister was absolutely thrilled that Elsa was starting to develop feelings for David.

With a little bit of sisterly help, Elsa was dolled up more than usual. Anna helped her brush her pale blonde hair until it was silky smooth, flowing in gentle waves down her back, then braided it neatly for her.

Instead of the typical white outfit she wore, Anna insisted that the elder girl go all-out. After all, for all intents and purposes, this was a date. Elsa should look beautiful for it!

A couple hours later, Elsa stepped out of the doorway and into the gardens, the same place that she had met David the previous day. She waved and gave a gentle smile. Part of her felt like Anna had gone too far, that she was way overdressed and perhaps David might find it silly that she looked so fancy today. But his face said otherwise.

0daba82e9ddff6e614d976cd55de3ee2.jpg

"I..."
"I..."
"I..."
"I..."

As he stood to greet the angelic-looking queen, his words failed him miserably. He couldn't articulate a sentence, let a lone a word other than 'I'. He walked over to the path to meet her, his eyes taking in every inch, ensuring to not linger over certain areas, in respect of her virtue.

David was on autopilot. He turned toward the way down and extended an arm in a gentlemanly way. When Elsa took it, he gulped. He hadn't ever been this close to a woman in his life, let alone with one as gorgeous as this one that - it seemed - had shown an interest in him.

And more and more, he was becoming interested in her.

He finally was able to get a few words out as they neared the side door of the garden, which led to the entrance to the town proper. "I...wow. You look amazing, Elsa."

David was lost for words. Elsa felt her face growing warmer as he stammered, shifting position so that she could take his arm. When she did, he finally found what he wanted to say, letting her know that she looked amazing.

Elsa tucked a stray hair behind her ear and smiled softly. "Thank you," she replied. "I felt it was a little much, but Anna insisted." She let out a small laugh. "Though, I suppose it must have been worth putting up with her girlish nonsense all morning."

Normally, she wouldn't have spared any time on her looks, but something in her wanted David to see her as a woman, and that meant dressing nicely and putting some effort into it. Of course, she didn't want him to only like her looks, but it did make her feel nice when he stammered just from seeing her.

"So, where to?" She asked him after a moment. "Was there anything in particular you wanted to do today?" Elsa looked over at David, who was slowly regaining his composure. She wondered if anything had caught his eye yesterday that he was interested in doing or seeing today.

They had just entered the town proper when David was about to answer her. Just as he was forming the words in his mouth, he collapsed, almost dragging Elsa down with him. She was strong for her size, though. For that he was thankful.

He clutched his heart, the pain wracking his body to no end. 'No'...he looked up, toward the sea. He stood shakily, the only reason he could stay upright was Elsa's strong hand still on his arm. "I...I have to go. My spirits...they're in pain." He looked at Elsa, then back to the sea, toward Fredalia. "Someone is enslaving them again."

He looked back down at his companion, and realized something. He couldn't bring her and put her life in danger. He just couldn't. He cared about her that much. "I hope I don't have to live this down." He leaned down and kissed her. Right on the lips. It was quick, but he meant it.

He gently but firmly removed her hand from his arm. "Elsa, my spirits are hurting again. I...I have to go. I'm sorry." With that, he ran to the pier and after one last look back, he shot up with a burst of air.

He was leaving the woman who'd stolen his heart, but he couldn't let any more people suffer. He had to intervene. Tears fell into the sea below as he broke the sound barrier.

The only evidence of his departure was a small crater where he had vaulted from.

And the kiss that he still felt on his lips.

Last edited:
They arrived in town and strolled down one of the main streets, arm in arm. David finally decided what he wanted to do and was about to speak up when he collapsed.

"David?!" Elsa cried out, catching him before he could hit the ground. All that running, jumping, and wrestling horses in the sea had made her strong, and for that she was thankful. She didn't want him to get injured.

Helping him to his feet, she gave him a concerned look. David mentioned that his spirits were in trouble, that they were being enslaved and they were in pain. Elsa was still trying to comprehend what was going on when he leaned in and planted a quick, gentle kiss on her lips.

Her eyes widened. But before she could process what had happened and react properly, David was off, dashing with blinding speed toward the pier, then into the air.

"David, wait!" Elsa called, having chased him to the dock. Her hand reached out for him, but the blast pushed her back as he broke the sound barrier and was gone.

The Ice Queen pulled her hands to her chest. David could be putting himself in danger, and he hadn't even explained himself before making his getaway. Did he not trust her enough to let her help? It was the only explanation she could think of. He clearly had feelings for her, since he had kissed her before leaving, but did he think she wasn't strong enough? Would she just be in the way?

She wanted him to come back. Without him there Elsa felt almost... Empty. Like part of her was missing. A part she didn't even know existed until it was yanked from her grasp.

Elsa was in love with him. And now he was gone.

Anna saw and heard everything. She had been ashamed of listening in again, but this time she was glad she did. She rushed to Elsa's room, then down to the dungeon. Sje began banging on the bars of the former General's cell. "Hey!" She shouted. "What's happening in your homeland? The Sky King just flew back because he said the spirits were in pain."

The general's head snapped up and he approached the cell bars. "Oh no. Nonononono...whyyyy?" He held his head in his hands as he paced back and forth.

"Hey!"

He stopped pacing and looked at the very...desperate? Queen. He was expecting her to be mad. He approached her and put his hands on the bars. "Listen. You have to stop him. My son, the next in line to be the fire nation's next general, is in command. He is far more ruthless than I was." He shook his head. "The Sky King would die going one-on-one against him."

Anna rushed out of the prison after thanking the general, then stopped, and went back. "Release him." The guards looked at each other. "But...the counci-"

"RELEASE HIM!"

"Yes your majesty."

Shortly thereafter, the pair came upon Elsa, surrounded by the four spirits of the Northern Wood. Anna explained what the general had told her. She then lifted her sister off the pavement and looked her in the eye.

"Elsa, I saw the look on his face. It was the same look Kristoff had when he rescued me. David loves you, Elsa. He knows his land is in danger, and he didn't want to put you in danger as well." She produced the envelope brown with age and handed it to her sister. "You should read this." She put her hands up. "I know, I know, it's not the best time. But mother's words always calmed you down and helped you think straight. Please," she placed the paper in her sister's hand and looked at her pleadingly.

"I followed you into fire, but I won't be able to follow you across the sea. Please. Please talk to Mother once more. Before you do something stupid." She smiled a little through her tears, hoping her sister would find the humor in her last statement.

Last edited:
Not knowing what to do, the Ice Queen had retreated back into the Enchanted Forest. It was her home, just as Arendelle was, but it felt more comfortable to be surrounded with her spirits while she worked through all of this in her mind.

Why had David rushed off so abruptly? Why had he left her behind? She could have helped. She wanted to help. But he didn't even ask.

There was a crack of a branch behind her, and Elsa turned to see Anna emerging into the glen in which she found herself. The spirits around her watched as one Queen approached the other, Anna explaining what she had seen and holding out the old parchment to her sister.

"Anna... I..." Elsa started, but she could see the worry in her younger sister's gaze. "Thank you." She said, smiling a little as she grasped the paper. "Maybe I'll find some answers here. Mother did always seem to know just what to do, didn't she?" Elsa still had her mother's shawl tucked away beneath her bed, something to comfort her when things went wrong. Like today. Elsa produced the shawl, which had been hidden beside her.

Unrolling the scroll, she was sure to be careful with it. Time had made it delicate, and she would hate to ruin something that may have been the last thing her mother ever wrote for her.

For when your heart is empty:

My dearest Elsa,

One day, maybe when you're young, maybe when you're much older, I hope that you'll find true love. It's the greatest gift one could ever receive. I found it the day I rescued your father. I found it again and again when I met my two beautiful daughters.

But the love I'm speaking of... You'll know it when you find it. The sort that gives you butterflies. The sort that feels like home. The sort you know you won't be able to live another day without.

But one day, you may lose it.

I hope you never experience heartbreak. I hope, my perfect daughter, that you never have to read this letter.

But one day, you may find that feeling of joy ripped away. And if you do, I hope you'll remain strong. Trust in the spirits, Elsa. They know what to do. With the spirits, you can accomplish anything. Know that God has a plan for you. You have a purpose in this life, and together with the spirits, you will find that purpose.

When your heart is empty, Elsa, look inside yourself. You will know in your heart what must be done.

Elsa read the letter twice, tears brimming her eyes. She wiped them away and looked to her sister. "She always knew just what to do." Elsa confirmed. "I know what I need to do."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back