• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Arcane Epistles: A Fantasy Worldbuilding RP

correction. Blue: Abstraction & Craftsmanship.
edit: Also there was something about animals with green?
Idea was put out there but I dont think anyones claimed green

Ok so
Green-Nature
Red-Industry
Bue-Abstraction and Craftmanship
Purple-Death and Necromancy

I've updated the post to hopefully make it clear to people that we're running out of room for quiddity-defining wizards. I'm going to give it until Monday to see if anyone wants to fill in the last two spots, and if not, we'll work out what to do with the last two quiddities' concept ourselves. I have some ideas, but I want to give other people the chance to claim things themselves before I start talking about them, and the weekend should be plenty of time for that.

This sounds really interesting and unique, so I can't pass up the chance to be involved. And the format might fit me having a busy full time job as well.

Reading everyone's quiddity proposals, would Orange be body magic? Like Mashle's muscle magic? Just a funny thought. I'm not actually interested in Orange. I'll probably take Yellow or double up with someone (Blue or Red).

I made an OOC thread with a character sheet template. Also, bump to make sure weekend visitors see this thread, we'll start defining yellow and orange with who we have tomorrow if no one shows up to claim them. Relatedly, ithinkcat, it sounds like you probably don't want to define a quiddity yourself and that's cool, but if I'm reading you wrong and you do want to define yellow, then please do it today because I don't want to hold things up much longer.

The character I plan on making doesn't require them to have a certain quiddity, but to avoid doubling up with anyone at the moment I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm going to take Yellow.

Without putting a ton of thought into it, Yellow could be something like order or control. I'm just afraid that might be too broad.

Without putting a ton of thought into it, Yellow could be something like order or control. I'm just afraid that might be too broad.

I think it might be. Order is a pretty universal concept and control I think would overlap with... just about everything actually. Like a fire thing would presumably have fire control for instance and blue in the current proposal would have mind control. One possibility would be law/hierarchy/authority.

What kind of character were you thinking of, if you don't mind sharing?

Current idea is an eccentric and prickly young research professor chasing this world's version of the philosopher's stone.

When I think about the kinds of pure yellow spells that Law or Authority would describe, it just boils down to control again.

Since Green is primarily concerned with living things, it makes sense that life forces and healing are more under its domain. And the burning power of the sun treads on Red's territory, though perhaps less so. And yellow only having light would make it quite pitiful compared to the other quiddities.

Yellow being healing and the sun doesn't mean that green can't heal or red can't burn things. There's a puny amount of mono-quiddity spells and a massive amount of dual- or tri-quiddity spells. No quiddity is meant to be or even reasonably capable of being totally self-sufficient. Only purple is the opposite of yellow.

After a little more thought, I'm thinking Yellow could be Truth. It would be able to return thing to their proper form (heal, remove curses, repair items, etc.), detect lies and even compel truthfulness in people's words, reveal what is hidden (dispel darkness with light, dispel illusions, etc.), making attacks strike true (guided attacks), preserve something's form (shields), and punishing falsehoods (harming liars and the undead).

With CommanderNecro's permission, this means Purple could be Untruth. It would be concerned with creating false life, concealing things (in darkness, with illusions, and in silence), and robbing things of their proper form (stealing life, cursing their bodies, etc.).

What does everyone think?

What does everyone think?

My only issue with it is that I think defining quiddities (correct me if I'm wrong ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords ) should probably be a little less metaphorical. Like you can have broad categories. I went with that through "abstraction" in blue, where I was trying to capture this idea of dealing with more fundamental, intangible, unseen forces, like dealing with the mind, metamagic or dimensional magic. None of this is set in stone of course, but while I do see the conceptual link you're going for I think it might be a little too tangential to go for the linguistic "true form" or "true strike".

THAT BEING SAID, I think there's a pretty easy fix to that. Quiddities can have more than a single concept to them probably. So if we add "restoration" to yellow's "truth" (making it "truth and restoration") that neatly covers everything it seems you were going for with truth. This would come with the bonus that "decay" could serve as the opposite of restoration, which would give a stronger link to purple's current undead theme.

Aside from that, I think it sounds like a pretty great idea for yellow! It also works with your character concept, as divination spells would probably fall under this concept.

My only issue with it is that I think defining quiddities (correct me if I'm wrong ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords ) should probably be a little less metaphorical. Like you can have broad categories. I went with that through "abstraction" in blue, where I was trying to capture this idea of dealing with more fundamental, intangible, unseen forces, like dealing with the mind, metamagic or dimensional magic. None of this is set in stone of course, but while I do see the conceptual link you're going for I think it might be a little too tangential to go for the linguistic "true form" or "true strike".

THAT BEING SAID, I think there's a pretty easy fix to that. Quiddities can have more than a single concept to them probably. So if we add "restoration" to yellow's "truth" (making it "truth and restoration") that neatly covers everything it seems you were going for with truth. This would come with the bonus that "decay" could serve as the opposite of restoration, which would give a stronger link to purple's current undead theme.

Aside from that, I think it sounds like a pretty great idea for yellow! It also works with your character concept, as divination spells would probably fall under this concept.
Hmm, you make a solid point. let me revise my little list.
Purple- Necromancy, Decay, and Death
Blue- Abstraction, craftmanship, and psionics
Red- Industry, metallurgy, and war
Green- Nature, Growth, and Weather

Last edited:
CommanderNecro CommanderNecro I think that list has quite a fair amount of redundancy in it, especially in red with "industry" and "industrialization". Green's "nature" + "plants & animals" also seems a bit redundant. Blue's psionics I guess isn't redundant, though whether it fits the concept I'm not sure either.

CommanderNecro CommanderNecro I think that list has quite a fair amount of redundancy in it, especially in red with "industry" and "industrialization". Green's "nature" + "plants & animals" also seems a bit redundant. Blue's psionics I guess isn't redundant, though whether it fits the concept I'm not sure either.
Thats fair. lemme change it rq

Some follow-up questions about the world. First, I'm assuming this isn't Earth but some generic fantasy world we'll be building collaboratively, right? Second, is there a reason the world is a mystery to the wizard, and why now all of a sudden they've decided to go explore it?

That second one might help with character motivations, if they want one.

Some follow-up questions about the world. First, I'm assuming this isn't Earth but some generic fantasy world we'll be building collaboratively, right? Second, is there a reason the world is a mystery to the wizard, and why now all of a sudden they've decided to go explore it?

That second one might help with character motivations, if they want one.

To my understanding, yes this is an original fantasy world and I don't think the wizards are only just now exploring the world, I think it's more about our personal exploration of the world and publishing about findings. More certain about the first than the second though.

Dazzum, this sounds interesting as hell, mind if I hop in?
(But I do have a lot of questions though, so please bear with me!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back