• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings 1x1 Partner Search (Lit, Advanced) -- Plotting, Monsters, Hauntings, Pirates, Romance?

sec

𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘺!
( about me )

Call me Sec! I'm a 21-year-old college student studying biology and philosophy! I also work part time as a public health researcher, so I've been somewhat busy doing COVID-19 work over the past few weeks. I've been both RPing online and playing tabletop IRL for about seven years, and I'm also into creative writing/freelance editing as a sometimes-paid side gig, so I've tried a little bit of everything as far as writing's concerned!

I tend to write between 200-2,000 words per post and I'll match length with whoever I'm writing with; I don't mind writing starters and my turnaround time is less than a week between posts. I'll happy play any gender or pairing, but I have a soft spot for M/M and trans/NB characters. I'm more than okay with ghosting (life happens) and don't mind large gaps between replies, so just get back to me when you can!

I gravitate towards anything with complex character interactions, apocalyptic themes, religious overtones, romance, or horror! Lately, I've been really craving stories that involve a lot of moving between locations (sup, travel bans,) so hit me with all of your faerie circuses, intergalactic hitchhikers, and cross-country roadtrips! I'm also a huge fan of psychological horror and morally ambiguous characters; tell me about all of your grand manipulators and sort-of-but-not-quite-evil charmers and we'll find them some havoc to wreak!

I'm also a huge fan of OOC chatting and would love to hear what you're up to outside of our RP, so feel free to shoot me a DM even if we don't end up writing together!

Note: while the plot concepts and writing sample on this post are written in second person, I usually prefer to write in third limited for RP. I'm happy to write in first or second on request!

( what i'm looking for )

I'm looking for literate to advanced lit RPers for long-term 1x1 RP! Ideally, you are a RPer who's up for a fair amount of worldbuilding, character-heavy writing, and lots of OOC conversations about whatever we're working on, but I'm flexible on all of these. I would prefer RPers who aren't super stringent about character sheets, if for no other reason than that I'm faceblind and hate finding faceclaims. I strongly preference original characters and worlds, but you're more than welcome to try and sell me on fandom content; my writing sample is an old Eddsworld fanfic, if that tells you anything about which corner of the Internet I'm coming from.

Non-negotiables: you're 18+, able to write at least three paragraphs per post, and up to collaborating on plot development!

If you like any of the plot concepts I've listed below or you have another idea that you think I'd be into, send me a DM or comment below! If you want me to check out your plots or interest checks, link them here and I'll give them a look!

( plot ideas )

There are lots of reasons not to run away and join the circus.

It's backbreaking work, for one. Not even the performers are exempt from the hard labor of setup and breakdown, food prep, costume maintenance, venue booking, and loading the trucks, not to mention all of the effort that goes into preparing the acts themselves. The locations where you perform are basically random-- sometimes they're in the bad part of an already bad city, or maybe the venue owner is just a douchebag. You're never in any one place for long enough to settle down, the hours are long, and the Ringmaster-- a shadowy, charismatic figure who's been the boss for as long as even the oldest roadie can remember-- always seems to be locked in a game of cat and mouse against an opponent that you can't even begin to fathom.

But.

When the floodlights are all on you, when the performance goes just right and the audience begins to cheer, it all begins to feel a little bit like magic. And maybe it is: after all, the Circus is the only way a mortal like you can get a ticket across the veil into the fae courts.

What brought you into the Circus? What did you trade to get here? How did you prove your worth to the Ringmaster and your fellow performers? What stories do you tell your coworkers on the train between shows, and what stories do you tell your patrons when they ask about life in the spotlight? What exactly is it that a mortal like you is seeking in the fae realm?

When the last curtain falls, whose face are you wearing behind that mask?

Just weeks ago, the city of Ilsbon was hit by a supernatural trifecta of natural disasters-- the combination of earthquake, tsunami, and fire slammed into the mountain Ilsbon was built into, destroyed the City Temple, and cracked massive fissures into the streets. Now, the buildings of the city move every few minutes in a massive sliding puzzle, mutated animals roam the streets, and the old Thieves' Market is now the only reliable source of food, construction materials, and gossip. The city's pride and joy, a mysterious musician named The Lady In Black, has been broadcasting updated city layouts and new songs across the radio waves. Being the exceedingly down-to-earth and practical people that they are, the residents of the city have already begun the process of setting up retractible bridges between city quarters.

Everyone's struggling to get somewhere, find someone, or just adjust to life with an ever-changing cast of neighbors, but you might just have the most challenging task of all: you have to scale the Ever-Shifting City and return the Relic of the Gods to the destroyed City Temple, and fast.

The year is 09 Postwar, and the world as you know it is a collection of hundreds of small islands and houseboats, tied together by pontoon-bridges and canals. The magic of the world is built into the sciences-- witch-doctor MDs live next door to alchemist-mechanics, and you buy your produce from the local herbalist. Gun-toting pirates on speedboats outrun the vicious coast guard in their galleons, robbing the rickety cities that are finally rebuilding after the catastrophe-- you know, The Catastrophe, the one that shattered the old continent into the sea? For one reason or another, you've found yourself on the wrong side of the law and in the service of the world's most famous pirate ship. How did you get there? What is lurking at the bottom of the ocean? And what is The Captain, a mysterious individual with a sensational grin and a thousand fantastical lies about their past, hiding from their loyal crew?

Ever since the advent of the Internet, there have been countless servers, mailing lists, and organizations dedicated to tracking and recording paranormal phenomena. Now that YouTube's become a thing, though, there's an entirely new outlet for aspiring cryptid hunters to share their discoveries: vlogging.

There are two people behind the mildly-famous SPIRITS: WHAT DO THEY WANT? vlog: the charming, easily-excited, true believer screen performer and their much more stoic behind-the-scenes camera operator-cum-bff. They scrape together a living driving between paranormal hotspots in their RV, recording new videos about their adventures and doing odd jobs in all of the unusual towns they find themselves in. Offscreen, their dynamic is a little more complicated than it might first appear: how much of the performer's belief is legit, and how much is persona? Why do neither of them ever hear from their families? How is it that there just so happens to always be a new mystery to investigate off the tail of the old one?

... What exactly is the "person" behind the camera?

Roswell is a town built on the lore of the alien landing, and all of the long-term residents have long since cashed in on it. Themed diners, gift shops, and UFO-shaped motels line the streets. Locals sell their interviews for more than a pretty penny. Credulous tourists flow in every summer, hellbent on learning the truth, and the Roswellians are more than happy to keep the real truth to themselves. After all, there's no such thing as aliens, right?

Except, there are. One of them just arrived in town, in fact, and a Roswell local-- once they've gotten over their reasonable derision, obviously-- has no idea what to do when confronted with this new, much weirder tourist. Do they keep up the Roswell ruse and hide the truth from the rest of their neighbors, start preaching the new reality of the universe as they know it to the world's least receptive audience, or demand to get taken back to the alien's leader? Does their visitor want to get home as quickly as possible, or do they get attached to their new and unusual residency in the US's strangest town?

( word bank )

Feel free to borrow/combine/use any of these to either build a plot or modify one I've listed!

soulmates || enemies to friends to lovers || close platonic relationships || modern pirates || roswell alien landing || roadtrips across the country || circus || angels and demons || psychological horror || travel || radio hosts || monster x human || haunted houses || slice of life || deep ocean creatures || paranormal investigation || the fae || body horror || reincarnation || steampunk || religious overtones || fake dating || polyamory || apocalypse || surrealism and unreality || southern gothic || horoscopes and astrology || fortune tellers || unlikely travel companions || experimental format || queer themes || spirit possession/body sharing || masquerade ball || oh no there's only one bed || college au || metafiction || camp (outdoors) || camp (aesthetic sensibility) || body horror || songfic || magical realism || anachronism stew || dating sim || small town with a secret || on the run

( writing sample )
And really, you should have realized that this was coming.

You’d known from the start of your conscious thought that you were building up to an inevitable breakdown; when you were twelve and saw the news and felt everything in your chest wrench and turned off the television anyways, you should have known this was coming. You practiced your apathy (always, you were the best at what you put your mind to and this was no exception) and buried yourself in bullshit so that you wouldn’t think too hard about anything in particular and you knew, deep down, that there was something terrible coming, but you ignored it brilliantly for twenty solid years until one day you couldn’t.

It started with a twitch in your left eye and spread to cover half your face and you couldn’t keep your hand steady to shoot and so you were left without the ringing exhilaration you needed to distract yourself, your own self-conscious self-loathing gripping you by the chin and making you look hard at yourself and, incredibly, there was nothing to fucking see.

Twenty-one years old, poorly-shaven, using your oily charisma to avoid any sort of meaningful anything. Violent, obscene, reeking of tobacco and nobody had seen you like this, had they? No one had seen you for worthless yet because you were so fucking clever, spoke so very beautifully, smiled with just enough teeth to throw them off-balance and moved on before they could get too close to the personal parts. You liked Matt for not asking questions and Edd for filling in the blanks with his own nice little lies and Tom got far too near the truth for comfort sometimes but he was occupied by drowning in his own fucked-up ego and lacked the energy to set you straight and for that, you hated him.

They all believed you when you said the shaking was nothing, ignored it when you dropped weight and stopped sleeping because you told them with your trademark smirk that they should get the fuck off your back and they listened because you said it with just the right combination of wide eyes/bared teeth/smug tone/eyebrow raise to get them to believe you and part of you wanted to let any piece of your expression slip, let them sleuth out your quickly crumbling behavior and ask what was wrong so that you could say “nothing” in just the right way to get them to worry about you but your ego was too big for that and so you crumbled alone.

You ripped your selfhood to shreds and destroyed your room and acted like nothing was amiss at lunch and then went back to your room and laid facedown on the floor and were numb because something had to give eventually but you weren’t quite there, not yet.

You think Tom caught on, at least a little towards the end, when your final defenses were under siege by whatever shriveled morality comprised your noblesse oblige and you were on the verge of tearing your own body to shreds as divine retribution for your failure of character. He said less to you and gave you longer looks and you didn’t have enough left in you to be convincing so you dropped the act for a second and let him see the failure on your face and he backed the fuck off and left you alone like you told him to and you hated, hated, hated him for listening to you.

And then.

You immolated yourself. You sat at your desk and stared at the bones that constituted your wrist and you took a blank piece of paper and wrote down “RED” in big shitty letters at the top and you listed off everything you wished you could be because being Tord was finally entirely unbearable, you fucking hated Tord, you wanted Tord over and done with and you wanted Red to be better than Tord ever was because Tord is the scum of the earth, Tord couldn’t stand up to reality and couldn’t stand his own empathy so he buried both of those down but Red would be better, you vowed that Red would be better as you created him on the page and Tord might have cried for his own egocide but Red was happy to see him go.

Tord had business to close out with his old life so you let yourself be him as you said your goodbyes and they hurt more than you thought they would but not as much as being Tord hurt in those final few moments you were him, not as much as your carefully calculated scummy humor did as you got in the car and you vowed to become Red, become better.

You made it into the city with your new morality, an entirely new personality based on shonen action protagonists and Immanuel Kant and every war hero novel you’d ever consumed (and occasionally cognitive dissonance leaked into your new consciousness and the sources of your selfhood were pathetic, so pathetic, but Red could justify his own existence better than Tord ever could, because Red would fix the world and all Tord had to do was give up his claims to his own human form and that was fine with Tord, really, he hated his face too) and found your way into the city and began screaming the apocalypse on street corners and eating in soup kitchens and the messianic parallels were not lost on you as slowly you began to develop a following.

God gifted you with charisma and that was what you passed into Red, a voice that could quiver with conviction and a face that could contort in the throes of passion and a fist you could shake up to the Lord’s domain until people listened. Red ranted new world axioms to your flock until they became united towards the greater good and Red organized his soldiers into strategic militant formation and Red would fix everything Tord was too tired and afraid to confront and Red would remake the Earth in His image.

You acquire money despite your philosophy because Red is a realist and understands that revolutions based on post-scarcity economic policy needed to be hypocritical for the greater good and you arm yourself because Red acknowledges that true ethical utilitarianism can only be achieved through the spilling of innocent blood but is ultimately morally justified and Red has a strict code of conduct that Tord never had and Red is always, always justified. Your following grows and grows restless and you prepare to commit atrocities in the name of a brighter future and you use the genius you’d repressed out of shame at your own lack of motivation to build weapons that made NATO reel in shock and you conquered and you preached and if destroying the world was necessary in your quest for perfection then Red was willing to let everything burn while Tord cowered in outdated ontological humanism and suffered guilt over civilian corpses.

And sometimes you still heard echoes of Tord in your accent, felt traces of his muscle memory in your smile and you would stop looking in the mirror for days when that happened because Red was willing to crush imperfection and Tord feared for your body and hid himself further in your psyche as you felt Red’s voice deep in your throat and let him do what needed to be done.

You formed an army and it took Red’s name and his sigil and his ideologies and soon it would take the whole world down and force it to kneel before him until you shaped it into something better. He took Tord’s old habits for his own and learned to shoot and learned to build and sometimes, sometimes the line between your selves got blurry and that scared you more than anything. Red pushed and Tord pulled away and the world was becoming aware of your revolution and would fight for its outdated consistency until its dying breath but it could only do so much against Red’s charisma and Tord’s gun and slowly it was dying.

You realized late in the game that you left behind a keystone in your past on which Red’s revolution depended, let Tord fight his way to the frontal lobe and demand to be the one who returned home to retrieve it and when he did everything came crashing down—

(you wanted to lay down on the couch and watch movies and fall into your old apathy and you love these boys, these specters of a softer life, you missed loving people because Red wasn’t created to love and Tord was fading with disuse and it hurt—)

(when Tom came home and didn’t forgive you and didn’t let you forget who Tord was, who you used to be, all the self-defining characteristics you negated and avoided and repressed for years now the target of loathing from an outside source—)

(when Red’s fist connected with the soft skin of Matt’s cheekbone while Tord screamed and Matt screamed and Edd screamed and you were losing control of the situation—)

(when Edd looked at you with betrayal and Red felt nothing, absolutely nothing— )

(when you fell.)

And you,

you sit on a cliffside overlooking it all while Red screams at you to move, to keep pushing, to fight until your body gives out and your death is a just one, the death of a martyr,

while Tord begs you to stay a moment longer and let him grieve for his self-admittedly pointless existence for the last time before his inevitable demise at his own psychological metaphorical hand,

and when the cars come up behind you, you finally know for whom the bell tolls as Red slips into your skin and makes a home there.

Last edited:
hi! i'd love to write with you and i think our interests align well!

the ever-shifting city seems really interesting!

jinkx jinkx Awesome! Feel free to shoot me a DM and we can start talking!

(also, I love your signature!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back