Experiences Why are we so addicted to roleplaying?

Roleplaying is something I do for escapism and because I love to write. My favorite part, though, is the friendships I've made. I pretty much exclusively only do 1x1s and it's through those 1x1s that I've met some of my best friends (such as norway norway and Little Little ), all thanks to the stories we've created together. It's sometimes frustrating and time-consuming for me to go searching for roleplay partners but all those brainstorming sessions that never went anywhere and those roleplays that died before they could even get started are worth the pain if it means getting to find that one gem---a great writing partner and, if you're lucky enough, a great friend. That's why I keep roleplaying.

Oh my gawsh this sounded way more dramatic that I meant for it to be, but yeah.

To me it's about exploration, sharing, community and just not wanting to deal with the boring real. I am a rather creative person (but now genius by any means of course, I can barely remember my own colleagues names at times) , and I love to share my passions and what I create, all those random ideas and in-depth worlds and fascinating characters. I also love exploring those same ideas, worlds, characters and the themes that come with them or with which they come. Roleplaying an outlet to my creative which I know will have at least some reception, I know it will not just be lost and ignored. Couple that with an amount of creative freedom you rarely see, interactive stories that far surpass the boring reality of life, what more could you ask for?

Ok, a lot, but that's beside the point.

There is also the fact we have this community. I feel like RPN has truly become a second home to me. One of the big reasons to want to RP is to get to know and be with all these wonderful people. Even if a few are asses now and then.

Another reason I just recalled is that sometimes I simply want to get some story to have a continuation when there just isn't anything like it available. Like, sometimes I may read a manga, love it, then there isn't any more of it's kind and I just want to have more content of it so I make an RP based on it. Or maybe I want to give my own spin to an idea that was underused so I make an RP similar to it but with that key difference .

Yes many group Rps die, Also for me, Rp is just simply freaking a w e s o m e. Its like "HEY LETS cREATE A STORY TOGETHER" which can turn out 11/10 frankly.

I roleplay in hopes to progress my writing or improve my motivation and/or inspiration. Also it's incredibly fascinating to see the different ideals and writing styles that other rp-ers have.

For me I'd honestly have to say it's about making friendships and creating worlds. I love to write, I post some of my writings on online outlets to share them with others. I feel that I'm at my best writing when I'm doing it with others and pushing each other to become better. Looking back some of the best pieces I've ever composed were during roleplays. I love to see the world we can create and mold to a perfection we didn't know had previously existed as characters and traits and plot twists slowly reveal themselves to me as the rp progresses. It's my kind of drug.

Okok, serious question here... why we all so obsessed with roleplaying DESPITE knowing 95% of them never get past one month of activity?

I get value from everything I dream up as a roleplayer. Every character and backstory. Every original world. Every plotted story arc. Every writing sample. Every post. Every collaboration.

It doesn't matter when the bar closes so long as I take home the girl.

I feel like I need it because this is the only way I write creatively anymore. I've always been very self-conscious of my writing when I try to write novels; I hate how writing in that sense is only as "good" as the grade or the response from a publisher. I can no longer find the time or energy to try again.

I can let go of that when I'm on the Internet; the whole process of writing a story seems less daunting when you can collaborate with other people who share common interests. I suppose there is also some escapism for me, because I am much more motivated in RP's that are rooted in fantasy and sci-fi.

Last edited:
When you find a roleplay site and you see plenty of people roleplaying there, you see the roleplay and you find a world between the lines, you can see anything is possible in that world, you can do anything you want and there's nothing can limit you.
This world is the world of roleplays.
You can find anything you want. Do anything you want and make anything you always wanted to make. It's the world that you can never find anywhere else...

Honestly? A site which is dedicated to JUST roleplaying and it has active members who are interested in the same/similar things, we're bound to get addicted. We pick out a roleplay which catches our attention, a setting and scenario which we are specifically looking for and we see that world through the eyes of somebody else - our character. Just describing roleplaying as 'it's interesting' doesn't do the activity itself justice, in my opinion.

I don't feel like I'm addicted, as in RP takes over everything I do in life, but the reason I continue to RP, even if the chance of the RP failing is high is because I want to immerse myself with a world and cast of characters played by other roleplayers.

Okok, serious question here... why we all so obsessed with roleplaying DESPITE knowing 95% of them never get past one month of activity?
The reason for RP not getting past 1 month is simple.... Lack of GM participation and poor communication.

As to why I like to Rp...... Well Fanfics are a bit slow these days...Anime is just Fanservice nowadays and the only comedic thing in TV is Either "Will and Grace" or The US Government....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back