Experiences Why are we so addicted to roleplaying?

Actually most of my roleplaying goes over one month, but I mainly roleplay to see how other's creative brains are similar to mine and just create more friends. Bascially cure my boredom with something fun ^_^

Escapism, maybe? I know I first started to RP when I was younger to get away from what went on around me.Then again, rps were still pretty active when I first joined RPN on a previous account, and in the rp chats I was in before then. Nowadays, it's more like an outlet for me.

I haven't role played in a long time but recently I've felt myself thinking back to the good ol' days so I'm trying to get into it again.

Like most people are saying, I did it for the fun and the escapism. Now I'm also doing it to try and improve my own writing and gain more exposure to other styles of writing. Always loved writing and reading equally and roleplaying is the best of both worlds, especially if you're blessing with a dedicated partner.

Not sure why I ever really quit. Maybe it was because most of them never really got anywhere. I'm hoping to find some more luck these days.

Well, for me, roleplaying always had something...sheltering. Especially one roleplay I am currently writing. For myself, I'd call roleplaying a coping mechanism, oops. I can write scenes I would be unable to do in real life.
Like, getting friends, finding a job and being mentally healthy, ha ha. Help.

Well, for me, roleplaying always had something...sheltering. Especially one roleplay I am currently writing. For myself, I'd call roleplaying a coping mechanism, oops. I can write scenes I would be unable to do in real life.
Like, getting friends, finding a job and being mentally healthy, ha ha. Help.

Takes courage to admit that. Wish u all the best in character and out of character :) stay strong

Because reality is too boring? I mean, even if we -could- launch giant balls of firey death from our hands, we'd have some shitty law that says we can't BBQ random people all the time.

For the sake of experiencing things I can't experience, becoming someone I cannot be in real life and all that.
I know a lot of people who would say "just get out there and live a real life", but... I am living it. I earn money, have social contacts, organize events, go to concerts, have a band, go on vacations around the world, keep pets, dance, have university degrees and so on and so forth.
But somehow still... there are things I cannot change. Like the fact that I am a woman, living in this century, in this country, and looking like crap.

To be fair, I had roleplays that lasted YEARS.
Same but only one of the many i started :)

For the sake of experiencing things I can't experience, becoming someone I cannot be in real life and all that.
I know a lot of people who would say "just get out there and live a real life", but... I am living it. I earn money, have social contacts, organize events, go to concerts, have a band, go on vacations around the world, keep pets, dance, have university degrees and so on and so forth.
But somehow still... there are things I cannot change. Like the fact that I am a woman, living in this century, in this country, and looking like crap.
Riiiiiiiiip

I always think of RPing as controlled chaos. There are no real consequences, you have complete control of yourself and your environment, and all the time in the world to evaluate it and react. You're always able to be the best version of whatever self you're playing- good or bad. You get to go there.

Maybe we're all just narcissists. ;D

My parents hated when I played D&D. I didn't know it then, but there was a bunch of Christian propaganda condemning it because one mentally unstable boy died from being unable to separate fantasy with reality and he mother needed a scapegoat for closure.

Being unable to Role Play as a kid, at least within my house, I feel, has made me want to do it more as an adult.

I tend to enjoy Pathfinder or D&D based campaigns the most. I used to be in a RP community called Galadoria, and they had an RP that had been going on for YEARS. (I do believe the website is shut down now.)
But you got to make characters and each post that character did on the website would net a small amount of experience points. So after X-amount of posts your character would level up. I felt that this encouraged players to post more frequently as staying up to date in your RPs meant a stronger character.

Maybe because it's a way for writers to get out their itching to create worlds and characters even when they can't write it on their own? I know that's how it is for me because I adore writing and making new universes and constructs to explore but I can never do it on my own because I lose interest too quickly since I know everything that will happen to the exact lettering. With another person even if you roughly know how they'll react you are never 100% certain on what they'll say or exactly what they'll do! It adds an element of surprise and intrigue to your own stories.

Maybe because it's a way for writers to get out their itching to create worlds and characters even when they can't write it on their own? I know that's how it is for me because I adore writing and making new universes and constructs to explore but I can never do it on my own because I lose interest too quickly since I know everything that will happen to the exact lettering. With another person even if you roughly know how they'll react you are never 100% certain on what they'll say or exactly what they'll do! It adds an element of surprise and intrigue to your own stories.
That's really similar to me...

I'd even add on that the reason I started roleplaying is that I couldn't get that satisfaction from just reading. Often, books would be too predictable for me...

That's really similar to me...

I'd even add on that the reason I started roleplaying is that I couldn't get that satisfaction from just reading. Often, books would be too predictable for me...
In some cases yeah, haha. I've recently found a set that's pretty predictable in the major plot points but it's got a nice amount of guess work for the reader since the main character knows little-nothing about the situation as well. So, we learn alongside him as it plays out.

It's even better for me when it's my character in someone elses world. Because in mine I know how everything works, the proper ways to act for certain reactions, ect... When it's someone elses I don't know any of that and have to learn as I make decisions.

Creating stories makes my brain feel like it's going ninety miles-an-hour. Roleplaying is like solving a puzzle, because I'm creating a story with other people's pieces.

When I was younger, roleplaying was how I worked through my anxieties and such. I'd see the struggles my characters underwent and tell myself "I wrote them surviving through that, clearly I can handle what's going on in real life". It was as much a hobby as it was a coping mechanism from the cruelties of childhood and the isolation that social ineptitude tends to cause. It helped a lot.

Now that I'm older though? It's how I humour my imagination and it's a break from a taxing and mundane reality. It's like reading, except I'm the one making decisions in the world, or I'm the one creating it from the ground up. There's just this... weird satisfaction that comes with it nowadays I guess.

I'm never more content than I am when I've gotten so invested in a roleplay that I have daydreams about it.

It's a little bit of many things for me. Partly, it's to escape reality. I have to constantly focus on something that isn't real life, or else I find myself depressed. I think it's also an outlet. Mad? I can have my character go on a killing spree. Sad? I can play some sort of dramatic scene where somebody's true love dies in front of them. Happy? I can RP as somebody really excited, going on an adventure or something.
It's a world I can play with and do whatever I want without consequence.
Aside from all that, it's also a hobby. Kills time.
But I think, most of all, it lets me feel. Intense scenes, sweet scenes, shocking scenes.... emotions that I bottle up irl, or just don't feel irl.
And I'm addicted to the f e e l i n g s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back