Viewpoint What’s your opinion on school RPs?

As for my own opinion on school RPs, I think they can be a really cool setting. They can be great for exploring lore, magic systems and such, and are a prime place for characters to have steady progression in terms of what they can do. Furthermore it’s a familiar environment which serves as a nice staple setting for more slice-of-life or romance oriented RPs.

However, they also suffer from a few fundamental problems, most of which tends to pertain to the players who often engage in them:

A) School is boring. Most players going into school roleplays aren’t actually in it for the school aspects of the roleplay, and 90% of the type they are even less interested in respecting the hierarchies and dynamics inherent to the setting. Simply put, the characters and their actions are framed at odds with the setting and not playing into it most of the time, forcing GMs to either put the core concept of the RP aside or have to railroad players into basic engagement with it.

B) By nature school RPs have a lot of interrupted scenes. This may not seem too bad until you realize even just a few players may be engaging at entirely different paces, meaning it becomes an impossible task to really give players time to wrap up their interactions without leaving others to hang for ages. As result, school RPs tend to be rife with awkward small time skips and unfinished business.

C) Despite how character-centric they usually are, these RPs have a tendency to feature players who come in seemingly expecting to have their hand held all the time- they design characters ill-suited for prompting interaction or having unique or engaging problems or arcs, then do not attempt to engage with others, and after that say they aren't posting because they don't have anyone to interact with. If you have maybe one is 8-10 players who is actively trying to engage with others, this is not going to be something they can handle. The issue only gets more exacerbating when one adds extreme character freedom. All in all, the moment there isn't something specific happening, school RPs tend to quickly become zombiefied.

D) I was guilty of this myself once, but perhaps adding to what I wrote in (C), both players and GM have a tendency to expect others to behave not in accordance to what they are portraying but in accordance to what they imagine or stated they should. GMs often exploit GMPCs just to put themselves in an edge above the players, or expect players to react in a certain way and refuse to change course when players don't. Likewise, a lot of players expect other player's characters to have a particular unwarranted attitude towards theirs.

Of course, a lot of this is just my experience, but I think it speaks to the very nature of school RPs. They aren't attracting an audience that likes them per say, they are attracting an audience that finds them convenient. School RPs are goldmines of potential if used right- even if tropish, in fact. But they have to be done by players who want to make characters to learn and form interesting character dynamics (and yes, everyone wants this of course, but I'm saying "want to make" as in an active priority and pursuit of these things rather than just expecting them to fall on one's lap), for starters.

Sandbox RPs in general are often destined to fail just as quickly as they start up. They have no direction, and everyone is just bumbling around.
How ironic that it was a sandbox RP that got picked for the fourms monthly newsletter. :xFtongue:

Joking aside, I get your point. Apparently, people lose the point of what a sandbox is and tend not to actually engage beyond just bumbling around.

Sandbox RPs in general are often destined to fail just as quickly as they start up. They have no direction, and everyone is just bumbling around.

I played in a Sandbox game for over two and a half years, with the site itself going for now ...5+ I think? EDIT: Not a school.

They are very very reliant on player engagement and players stepping up to lead stories, locations, etc. They can be great for those people whose characters create stories through their own motivation, but they do not work for "pawn" or passive players.

If you have a good community and a critical number of players who can take charge of parts of the sandbox - whether running quests or creating scenarios or locations, or playing "bad guys" - and crucially who are prepared to initiate new players and help them get involved, then they can be amazing. If that house of cards falls, it can be devastating.

I don't think they are any more likely to fail than any other type of roleplay.

Having said all that I'm not sure a school is a good setting for a sandbox. It's too restrictive and doesn't give players much of a chance to take charge of things (unless they are the teachers...)

With lore and a neat setting, they can be fun, but they are the cliche and are more likely to attract less experienced roleplayers which makes me reluctant to participate.

I played in a Sandbox game for over two and a half years, with the site itself going for now ...5+ I think? EDIT: Not a school.

They are very very reliant on player engagement and players stepping up to lead stories, locations, etc. They can be great for those people whose characters create stories through their own motivation, but they do not work for "pawn" or passive players.

If you have a good community and a critical number of players who can take charge of parts of the sandbox - whether running quests or creating scenarios or locations, or playing "bad guys" - and crucially who are prepared to initiate new players and help them get involved, then they can be amazing. If that house of cards falls, it can be devastating.

Having said all that I'm not sure a school is a good setting for a sandbox. It's too restrictive and doesn't give players much of a chance to take charge of things (unless they are the teachers...)

When one of these sandboxes exist, where there's so much engagement going on and effort and interest, it's so great.

More often than not, a GM creates a sandbox RP (like a school) and steps back to let the players create the story. But then most of the players (and most rpers in general) are too introverted or timid to lead anything or have ideas of their own to execute.

I'd say whenever I see a school RP there are a handful of players who RP (who also have 4+ characters in play) and the rest are just... There. So you'd have the same 4 players playing 20+ characters by themselves, and this is so unappealing to me.

I guess I should reiterate to say: I think sandbox RPs are more likely to die at their start, more so than other RPs. lol

Well, lucky you I guess. Finding this unicorn mix of fantastic players seems to be the ideal situation in any roleplay, imo. I find it odd how on the one end, people in the community dislike it when other members create characters that overtake the storyline with their character's stories... but then here, you say that individual character motivation is the lifeblood of the sandbox. My biggest gripe with sandbox RPs, is that most of time it just becomes a bunch of people pairing off in disjointed 1x1s. At least that's been my experience with any sandbox groups I've been in. There is some vague story arc going on, but everyone is just paired off doing their own thing and nothing ever really gets done... maybe I'm just expecting too much out of the RP? I dunno. They've just never worked out. The RP tapers off VERY quickly after people get passed their character's introductory posts. The same thing often happens when a GM drops the ball in a non-sandbox setting as well, not having an actual direction to take the players.

With the danger of going off-topic (so I will only post this one last time here about sandboxes), in my experience all RPs are likely to not get off the ground after the first post round, Sandbox or not. I couldn't begin to count the number of RPs I've joined where everybody/the GM flakes immediately after character creation or after the first post. I just do not think this is a problem that affects sandbox more than any other type of RP.

Well, lucky you I guess. Finding this unicorn mix of fantastic players seems to be the ideal situation in any roleplay, imo.

Yep I agree. XD

I find it odd how on the one end, people in the community dislike it when other members create characters that overtake the storyline with their character's stories... but then here, you say that individual character motivation is the lifeblood of the sandbox.

Do they? Do they, though? I mean ... sure if there's a plot and one Mary-Sue is derailing it with a personal quest and spotlight-hogging. But I've never come across this as a blanket deal, or even an opinion that is widespread. Imo, if the RP isn't character-led, what is the point of making a character at all?

Ya know, I think the fact that you can go off into 1x1s then merge up with other storylines, and switch partners, and form small groups that disband and form other small groups is part of why sandbox RP is fun.

Do they? Do they, though? I mean ... sure if there's a plot and one Mary-Sue is derailing it with a personal quest and spotlight-hogging. But I've never come across this as a blanket deal, or even an opinion that is widespread. Imo, if the RP isn't character-led, what is the point of making a character at all?
I mean, everyone wants to develope their characters, but that shouldn't come before the central notion of the RP. And in a sandbox, everyone seems to be off on their own tangent. As far as the opinion being widely held, I read quite a few comments relaying that opinion in a thread here recently. I think it was the Worst RP Experiences one... but it might have been a different thread with something of the same sentiment.

Ya know, I think the fact that you can go off into 1x1s then merge up with other storylines, and switch partners, and form small groups that disband and form other small groups is part of why sandbox RP is fun.
I mean, ideally yes. But I don't think that is even close to being the norm. Most of the time, everyone goes off and tries to pursue their own agenda, while others bumble around trying to form some kind of cohesive storyline. Then there is always different people delaying the groups, and pair-offs have to just inelegantly drop out so that the people that want to continue at one pace jumble in together. Don't even get me started on timeskips, with one group doing a weeks worth of activity while another is still on day one. In my experience, sandbox roleplay is just riddled with metaphorical buried turds to be stepped on and kill a good time. lol

More often than not, a GM creates a sandbox RP (like a school) and steps back to let the players create the story. But then most of the players (and most rpers in general) are too introverted or timid to lead anything or have ideas of their own to execute.

I'd point at a failure that goes beyond being just introverted or timid, as that is not the whole equation there. Sometimes it's not even that the player is introverted, because in reality the biggest issue, in my view, is poor character design, for the player. A character that is timid or introverted is one thing, or the player themselve's being, but making one when you neither know how to seek interaction yourself nor how to manage yourself with solo posts results in a situation where at the first sign of the natural result of a character that is poor at seeking interaction by nature, you are unable to get them to be present without relying on others. Have enough of these players gathered, and now your entire RP hinges on maybe having one or two players to carry everyone else, who are likely to become exhausted or have something else, anything, to do at some points and the RP becomes frozen or zombified as a result.

Tbh, I think it depends. It's true that school RPs are overused and cliche and honestly 90% of the time it's just the same thing over and over. Very loose. Even with a properly set up lore and everything done "right," the roleplay just gets dry and empty. That's why for the longest time I've avoided it, even though I joined the RP community by joining one since frankly, as mentioned, academy/school-based RPs are the type beginners join the most lol.

And the first roleplay I ever GM-ed are academy RPs too :')

Ironically, though, after trying out different roleplays for so long in the end and GM-ing and coming up with other great roleplay ideas, in the midst of my busiest time in real life, I ended up going back to creating an academy RP once more and GM-ing with my friend as a co-admin. Like what everyone said, it's somewhat easier to manage. However, done with a proper lore, interesting background, enough control both in the roleplay and on the characters included in the roleplay (not my control over them, but like make sure everything are being kept together well), and a *clear* plot, or just a general idea of in what type of direction this roleplay can head to...Then, also supporting the roleplay as an admin/co-admin---it can make a cliche academy roleplay interesting. I just believe if done right, academy roleplays can have its potential too.

For example, books/shows/anime with an academy setting is still a thing. My Hero Academia--just pulling out one of an example out there---is an academy story after all. Academy roleplay just gets bland overtime since people don't really try to go in-depth in crafting out the lore of what the academy is based off, and the people who joined the roleplay are more so just to hang around, meet people, and not really working together to push the story to go above and beyond. Instead, most school roleplays just end up going with "the bell rings! they are all in the classroom! one is in the garden!" kinda stuff. When man, it can go so much further.

Academy setting *is* cliche. But if done right it can make a cliche good. We don't see that happening often, that's why 90% of the academy roleplays here are just blegh. I had the fortune to encounter a couple of good ones, and I'm trying to make a good one out of the setting right now too. All in all don't lose faith in school RPs yet. I still think sometimes it's worth checking over the lore and trying out some that looks like it has potential. Maybe, Idk, it's one of the rest 10%, just imo.

They're... well... they're a bit of a guilty pleasure, I guess. But I prefer non-standard school roleplays to just normal high school roleplays. And even then it's actually pretty hard to entice me into a school roleplay. Unless I make it myself.

School RPs peak when the characters leave the school, as in the school setting acts as a prologue for character- and world-building. In a shounen-esque way, you see the characters at the start of their journey, in a controlled setting, before they're let into the deep end and start developing and growing into their powers or whatever. I think Fire Emblem and RWBY fans could agree, though I claim no affiliation with the latter, fuck that. (The RP that alerted me to this was a RWBY RP, actually. It was handled really well and almost had a finale!)

I don't think a high school setting has to suck, though. A lot of the time writers use high school as a microcosm, exploring interpersonal relationships in a contained environment. But if you don't have an end goal in mind, it's easy for things to stall. A lot of new RPs have an organizational issue of how to address different classes which shows the GM wasn't thinking about anything but roleplaying in a high school: you should try to have some common motivator that ties the cast together.

Ehhh, really relies on how much meat there is on the bones. Is there worldbuilding? Worldbuilding besides basic ”there is spooky thing”? A plot beyond school? Is there fun stuff between the school time? If there's more of a plot and setting skeleton than an actual roleplay, then no. If they put some time into making it different from the bare minimum, maybe.

I think they can be fun, personally, although I wouldn't necessarily count it in my top choices. Maybe I've just been out of school long enough to be nostalgic about it, but it lends itself easily to some sort of structure.

I might be forgetting something but I think I've only been in one. It was set at my University and I was playing as my actual self, then the zombies came. I didn't survive long, sad to say.

Otherwise while Universities and Academies have occasionally shown up in roleplays they've never been the focus. I'm generally up for any setting so I think that's probably a lack of interest among my RP circles. I definitely have more of an interest in the University side of the spectrum but I'd participate in a Primary School or High School set-up if had the right appeal.

I love school rps. LOVE them. I can do anything within the confines of the rules of the rp that I so desire, why wouldn't I love it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back