Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBcode that turns character sheets or even whole posts into feckin jigsaw puzzles. Look I'm glad you enjoy coding and making everything look pretty but if I have to start clicking all around and scrolling my mouse wheel just to find where the words start? You've lost me. God help your soul if you're on mobile because it's even worse there.

Also still hate a "I use size 2 font and all lower case letters for the aesthetic" crowd. I have bad eyesight I shouldn't have to copy your post into pastebin plz.

I really dislike when real photos are required and art is not allowed. Like I get not wanting super anime pictures but there is a gradient. Photos just feel so odd like one day they might search their photos and read about using them in some roleplay.

BBcode that turns character sheets or even whole posts into feckin jigsaw puzzles. Look I'm glad you enjoy coding and making everything look pretty but if I have to start clicking all around and scrolling my mouse wheel just to find where the words start? You've lost me. God help your soul if you're on mobile because it's even worse there.

Also still hate a "I use size 2 font and all lower case letters for the aesthetic" crowd. I have bad eyesight I shouldn't have to copy your post into pastebin plz.
Maybe it's just me, but I see nothing aesthetic about typing all in lower case. It just seems lazy.

I really dislike when real photos are required and art is not allowed. Like I get not wanting super anime pictures but there is a gradient. Photos just feel so odd like one day they might search their photos and read about using them in some roleplay.
I think that if it's your character, you should have 100 percent control of what you want them to look like whether you choose to use a picture or not. There's nothing more off-putting than having someone dictate what you photos you have to use for your character. I also understand that certain settings may have something to do with what photos, if any, are used. Still, that decision should be for the person in control of the character.
If I see a request thread where someone requires me to use a particular photo, I skip it. Sometimes you can't find what you're looking for when it comes to pictures.

I think that if it's your character, you should have 100 percent control of what you want them to look like whether you choose to use a picture or not. There's nothing more off-putting than having someone dictate what you photos you have to use for your character. I also understand that certain settings may have something to do with what photos, if any, are used. Still, that decision should be for the person in control of the character.
If I see a request thread where someone requires me to use a particular photo, I skip it. Sometimes you can't find what you're looking for when it comes to pictures.
Definitely depends on setting for me. Like, if a RP is meant to be realistic then, say, anime FC's are a huge turn off. Has me bailing pretty quickly as it breaks the immersion for me.

To me I think there is a reasonable level of art keeping to more realistic proportions and details over full more anime.

Definitely depends on setting for me. Like, if a RP is meant to be realistic then, say, anime FC's are a huge turn off. Has me bailing pretty quickly as it breaks the immersion for me.
Yeah, I'll go by the setting depending on what picture I want to use. I just like to have that option to choose.

Spent all day yesterday moving into my new place, and my friend could not summon the patience or empathy to let me go a day without posting. And yet I've let her go a week without brining it up.

Great int check, great gm, great little bit of chatter from folks excited to get in.

Moment the character thread or OOC or discord is posted its like there was nobody there and no one speaks a word, you speak up and try chatter? Nothing. Try and talk characters? Crickets. Toss a shitpost? Not even any whining.

You ever wonder, why, people join a thing that is quite quinessentially a group thing and don't want to talk with the others in the group they actively joined? I get it folks don't generally have alot to talk about with others in a new group but... try... a little?

Just a tiny bit?

A dead ooc/discord is a dead rp.

Great int check, great gm, great little bit of chatter from folks excited to get in.

Moment the character thread or OOC or discord is posted its like there was nobody there and no one speaks a word, you speak up and try chatter? Nothing. Try and talk characters? Crickets. Toss a shitpost? Not even any whining.

You ever wonder, why, people join a thing that is quite quinessentially a group thing and don't want to talk with the others in the group they actively joined? I get it folks don't generally have alot to talk about with others in a new group but... try... a little?

Just a tiny bit?

A dead ooc/discord is a dead rp.
Some of us just don't like small talk. Get a bunch of us together and there's bound to be silence lol.

honestly, for me, writing in all lower-case is because i'm lazy. my major calls for hundreds of words being written every week in formal papers. i'm so tired of capitalizing for classes, by the time i get on rpn i just don't care anymore. why should i do it? it's not like my posts to forums or my ooc messages to rp partners are all part of an academic paper.

kudos to people who don't get lazy about it but it's just not something i can do.

Last edited:
honestly, for me, writing in all lower-case is because i'm lazy. my major calls for hundreds of words being written every week in formal papers. i'm so tired of capitalizing for classes, by the time i get on rpn i just don't care anymore. why should i do it? it's not like my posts to forums or my ooc messages to rp partners are all part of an academic paper.

kudos to people who don't get lazy about it but it's just not something i can do.
Well, at least you're honest about doing it out of laziness rather than making up some excuse like "it's for aesthetics". That I can appreciate.

yes ditto i am happy to use all the grammar and capitalization in the world in my posts (and many many papers) because those are important and formal but my ooc messages? its just not necessary in my opinion.

My biggest pet peeve this week is mods that feel their story is so gd original. So when you make one similar they get all angsty and protective. Its so freaking weird. Like I mean I threw it in another thread so wont repeat myself but I was accused of trying to swip members. And touted not to invite any of their members. Insecure much?

Its like an marriage,werewof,vampire,acadamy, they have all been done and most of the rps already take plots from movies and shows. Is that original enough,hmmm?

Usually these mods rps die a horrid death and I am not ashamed to say some of those members already approached me for slots xD
Karma much?

Like I guess i am way past the age of investing too much emotional energy into a story to the point I'm protective.

Usually thats when I take step back.

So pet peeve. Controling angsty mods who speak for their team

Last edited:
For the past few years I've been doing only fandom rps. And now I feel like trying original plot and don't know where to start. Playing something else than my favorite characters would be strange.

Something that has really been driving me up a wall in fandom roleplays lately is people taking something from canon but removing all the context from it.

For example, I was recently in an Avatar: TLA roleplay where one of the guys playing a fire bender was a lot stronger than everyone else. When asked to tone his characters bending down a bit, he provided several examples from the show of fire bending on the same level as his character. But what he neglected to mention that said examples were a) done by fire bender masters which his character wasn't b)done during Sozin's comet, an event that drastically increased the power of all fire benders.

When I get a partner that feels I should write with them and them alone. That every time I come online I'm supposed to drop what I'm doing just to talk with them and if I don't, I'm ignoring them or I've ghosted them. Can you grow up🙄

When you purpose an idea for your character and your partner ignores it in favour of their own which contradicts the character as a whole. 😑I was nice about it the first time. But now I am angry.

What makes me angry is when a person refuses to do research for a story, setting or character. I see a lot of people, not necessarily on this site, creating generic Hollywood-esque versions of people, places, and things instead of doing the correct research to make these things feel real. I'm not perfect nor do I pretend to be when it comes writing. We all take liberties in our creative pursuits but dude come on. A little bit of research goes a long way.

What makes me angry is when a person refuses to do research for a story, setting or character. I see a lot of people, not necessarily on this site, creating generic Hollywood-esque versions of people, places, and things instead of doing the correct research to make these things feel real. I'm not perfect nor do I pretend to be when it comes writing. We all take liberties in our creative pursuits but dude come on. A little bit of research goes a long way.
This tends to be a common issue with faceclaims too. Like, because a lot of players will be using celebrity faces all the characters will be unusually good looking. Hollywood celebrities don't usually look like the average person.

I hate it when people are like 'YoU SHoulD EXPanD ur HOriZONS' regarding the characters you play. It's especially funny when they phrase it like that, too, because usually, it's entirely self-serving-- ie, they want you to play a character they would love to rp with. Like, no, I'm never playing MxF and I don't feel like my horizons are any narrower for it.

lol when someone comes into your role play telling you how to run things shadowed as suggestions. I just find that so interesting. You join a role play and work with those rules or you move on and find another one that fits your comfort zone.

uhg pushy pushy

goodmorning all *clinks coffee mug* the scaled monster is back

when you get ghosted immediately after you send a CS or a starter. i, of course, understand people get busy, but please let me know at least seeing as i put in the effort to make a nice CS or starter for you and was excited to you know... start, esp if we were talking regularly before that :-(. i don't mind getting ghosted during plotting/after some time in the rp because then it's more likely than anything real life getting hectic, but this always felt a bit different. it makes me think there was something so terribly wrong with my writing that made you just want to leave instead of asking me to fix things up. i know ghosting is never really personal like that, but when it happens like that i can't help but think that because that's the only conclusion my brain comes up with.

i guess this is less a pet peeve and more just a disappointment for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back