Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but it's people having access to me. Even though it's digital I feel a bit...like my privacy is invaded? I mean I find texting weird so like I'm an oddball that's for certain lol I embrace this. I am that old man living in the mountains refusing to accept

When you have it set to only show you notifications that someone has messaged you when you actually open the app, or log into the site, its the same as RPN where you are contacted when someone sends you a PM.

Like I get it mate! I have location services turned off. Always. If I need to use GPS, I flick it on, then second I arrive, flick it off. Last social media thing I had was MySpace in middle school, but :D There are some tricks that help.

I JUST had this exact Discord thing happen with a really cool Yokai RP. I was all ready and gearing up then suddenly I woke up one day and literally everything was gone. Now I'm wondering if I should just do it myself, it's really hella frustrating.

I've had this happen twice, one was for this crime solving rp, where monsters of all sorts and humans lived together. And another was this apocalypse rp where after a catastrophic earthquake caused one half of the united states to go dead silent, and not long after strange monster began to emerge from that half. Both rps I was excited for.... Then suddenly I'm dropped from the face of the earth in a snap.....I have those two rps on my interest check post..... But... I haven't gotten someone to pick it again unfortunately.

I've had this happen twice, one was for this crime solving rp, where monsters of all sorts and humans lived together. And another was this apocalypse rp where after a catastrophic earthquake caused one half of the united states to go dead silent, and not long after strange monster began to emerge from that half. Both rps I was excited for.... Then suddenly I'm dropped from the face of the earth in a snap.....I have those two rps on my interest check post..... But... I haven't gotten someone to pick it again unfortunately.
Hey those sound really cool! I'd definitely be into those. I've been having a hard time finding interesting rps because I'm pretty new to the site and the whole interest check system in general.

here’s one:

“Hi my interests include fantasy, magic, supernatural creatures, and superpowers

I will only rp MxF (or any other one pairing) because that is closest to my life and the only thing I’m comfortable writing

OR

I only play female characters (or male, or nb, or whatever) because that is closest to my life and the only thing I’m comfortable writing”

like ok so you’re comfortable writing as a medieval magic elf queen but you can’t write a character that doesn’t share your sexuality or gender because it’s not realistic enough? make it make sense

i’m a raging lesbian and half my characters are men who like other men. total opposite of me, but i have no problem rping that because it’s all fiction anyway. and i mostly do slice of life/realistic rps, not even fantasy!

i get having a comfort zone, but i can’t imagine not getting bored of that quickly. shrug.

here’s one:

“Hi my interests include fantasy, magic, supernatural creatures, and superpowers

I will only rp MxF (or any other one pairing) because that is closest to my life and the only thing I’m comfortable writing

OR

I only play female characters (or male, or nb, or whatever) because that is closest to my life and the only thing I’m comfortable writing”

like ok so you’re comfortable writing as a medieval magic elf queen but you can’t write a character that doesn’t share your sexuality or gender because it’s not realistic enough? make it make sense

i’m a raging lesbian and half my characters are men who like other men. total opposite of me, but i have no problem rping that because it’s all fiction anyway. and i mostly do slice of life/realistic rps, not even fantasy!

i get having a comfort zone, but i can’t imagine not getting bored of that quickly. shrug.

Girl, are we the same person? Like, I don’t really care if people have a preference for characters— As long as it doesn’t have any influence on who I play. Unfortunately, that’s rarely the case.

When you have it set to only show you notifications that someone has messaged you when you actually open the app, or log into the site, its the same as RPN where you are contacted when someone sends you a PM.

Like I get it mate! I have location services turned off. Always. If I need to use GPS, I flick it on, then second I arrive, flick it off. Last social media thing I had was MySpace in middle school, but :D There are some tricks that help.
I had myspace in my early twenties and that was the extent of my exploration of those types of platforms. It was sort of the equivalent of 90's bumble for young adults back in the day. It was fun for a period of time but then it lost its lustre. I would thrive and would love a face-to-face collaboration on writing. Like that is what I remember growing up. Everyone around a table writing stories and passing them around or adding to it. I'm basically a tortise.

I had myspace in my early twenties and that was the extent of my exploration of those types of platforms. It was sort of the equivalent of 90's bumble for young adults back in the day. It was fun for a period of time but then it lost its lustre. I would thrive and would love a face-to-face collaboration on writing. Like that is what I remember growing up. Everyone around a table writing stories and passing them around or adding to it. I'm basically a tortise.

Never done that. Like I've done tabletop roleplaying and wargaming via Warhammer and D&D, but never like.. writing on a paper and passing it around. Sounds kinda interesting in a way.

Hey those sound really cool! I'd definitely be into those. I've been having a hard time finding interesting rps because I'm pretty new to the site and the whole interest check system in general.
Oh heck, if you want I can send you the post to look through, I have to make a few edits on it but it's cool.

But they want to do it. They want it. By making it an option, you are telling them to conform to what you want. By making it an 'option', you are demanding that you get to pick and thus get what you want.

You don't see the issue here?

No I am not telling or demanding of anything. I just feel it should be more optional that requiremental. But hey what do I know?

I’m a lot of people’s “dream rp partners” in the sense that I prefer to write male canons. Don’t get me wrong, I’m capable of writing characters all over the gender spectrum, and world building can be fun, but my main craving is usually for fandoms, and the characters I enjoy writing and write best are usually male.

That means I get asked to write as the boyfriend to someone’s non-descript OC no less than 50 times a day. Which is fine except when your OC makes absolutely no sense paired with that particular canon.

ex “i need you to write the morally superior mr. lawful good who eats justice for breakfast and he’s going to fall for my oc bad girl who kills people for fun”

… i literally can’t

“okay, what about shattered, broken, mr m. tragic backstory who really needs therapy. he can date my somehow even more broken character and FIX HER”

how

When you know what you want to say but can't figure out how to actually put it into words. I'm building a character right now and while I know exactly what this character's like, I've also got writer's block trying to fill out the CS.

This might be a really unpopular opinion but I really hate when people recycle characters. I get it you like the character but isn't half the fun making the character in the first place? What's the point if you're just going to PR the same thing over and over again? I get maybe doing it from your own pool once or twice if you have a personal story you aren't sharing, but I've known some people to just have a rotating stable of three to five characters.
Not unpopular with me. If I see in an interest check that a person is using pre-made characters I will actually click off the page and look elsewhere. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm just petty, idk.

I’m a lot of people’s “dream rp partners” in the sense that I prefer to write male canons. Don’t get me wrong, I’m capable of writing characters all over the gender spectrum, and world building can be fun, but my main craving is usually for fandoms, and the characters I enjoy writing and write best are usually male.

That means I get asked to write as the boyfriend to someone’s non-descript OC no less than 50 times a day. Which is fine except when your OC makes absolutely no sense paired with that particular canon.

ex “i need you to write the morally superior mr. lawful good who eats justice for breakfast and he’s going to fall for my oc bad girl who kills people for fun”

… i literally can’t

“okay, what about shattered, broken, mr m. tragic backstory who really needs therapy. he can date my somehow even more broken character and FIX HER”

how
Oh God I FEEL this.

I actually love writing every gender of character and I love writing males but they'll ask me to write an unrelenting evil villain who is a cynic and violent... And then asks for them to be a Prince charming to their damsel in distress and I'm like: "that's physically impossible???'

I mean. I honestly have conflicting feelings about this thread. Why? Well, let me go on a ramble. Just perusing through this thread my methodical and brain-obsessed brain started thinking back to a book I read recently. Humans and how they F it up. So here is the thing with the brain and opinions. Very rarely is it completely possible for two humans to completely agree on...anything. Unless it is something mutual like law or religion but I mean that is country and community-based. But I digress. So, this book. It's all about how the human ego and mind literally has f up a lot of stuff in this world. It honestly really has. Let's think about how some petty wars were started in history. We are also, as humans, have a sense of free will and thought which we deem superior to others. OOOOOO
Superiority is REALLY dangerous. REALLY REALLY. I mean not just for the atmosphere of the environment you wish to live in but also it crumbles one's social and mental foundation if it gets out of hand.
And it often DOES get out of hand. I am someone who tries to live an egoless life as much as I can. It's hard sometimes but it's how I maneuver my life. I used to be someone who was really involved in opinions and pointing out when others were clearly wrong; in my mind. How naive I was. It causes a lot of anger, hostility and emotional pain to me. Over the past few years,I have tried to shift my environment and certainly my social media to sort of letting go of my self-proclaimed ego. My loud mouth speaker to the world. It was a struggle to keep my mouth shut and reflect with some grounding CBT work but it helped. Over the years it's much easier embracing other opinions or just sort of accepting we all have a different perspective of this world. It honestly makes me a much happier person. I mean to be humble does not mean to be stupid or weak. It's actually a great strength.

I mean I know it's sort of off-topic but this is what really annoys me this morning. People who refuse to embrace other perspectives and insist theirs is the only right thing. I mean I guess I have a bit of a unique perspective too becuase there is scoop trauma in my family line. It really upsets me when people expect others to conform to their beliefs or like thought structure. I mean. Not to bring a totally dark atmosphere to this thread but recently hundreds of bodies are being uncovered in the back yards of residential schools. Youtube it if you want. Or not. That is sort of a metaphorical representation of killing something precious ( like the indian in the child sir john a's words not mine) just to conform to Canadian white standards. If only this country had embraced them five hundred years ago. Those bodies might not be in those mass graves..So I mean.Yeah.. What makes you angry. That does. Thousands of children's lives were cut short. Yup. Makes me pretty angry.

Blah blah blah

But this is crap that really upsets me and gets me angry. When opinions turn into emotional or physical violence.

Just my feelings at three am.

No I am not telling or demanding of anything. I just feel it should be more optional that requiremental. But hey what do I know?
I think the point that’s being made is that on one hand, saying “I don’t like to accommodate other people’s preferences” (doubling when that person obviously strongly prefers it), but then on the other hand wanting people to accommodate your preference (not doubling) is a double standard.

It’s not the fact that you have a preference that’s the problem, mind. It’s the entitlement.

… i literally can’t

how

I’m the same way! I don’t mind trying just about any canon if that’s my partner’s preference, but the worst is when they build up just how “awesome” their OC is going to be with this person, and then it turns out that they’re not compatible at all. I would say this scenario accounts for 100 percent of my ghostings. How do you tell someone that this OC, whom they obviously love, is not working for you? I would literally rather chew my own toes off than deal with that conversation. Ergo, deuces.

Not unpopular with me. If I see in an interest check that a person is using pre-made characters I will actually click off the page and look elsewhere. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm just petty, idk.

I had no idea this was so unpopular. A lot of my OCs have sheets already made because a) I like to commission art and use it, and b) I love character creation and making sheets makes my heart happy. I also rp in the same group of fandoms a lot, so having a few characters to offer people when we’re planning an rp feels good to me.

I could definitely see a problem with someone recycling, say, a Star Wars OC to use in a Lord of the Rings or Old West roleplay. In that case, I would just make a new sheet instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I had no idea this was so unpopular. A lot of my OCs have sheets already made because a) I like to commission art and use it, and b) I love character creation and making sheets makes my heart happy. I also rp in the same group of fandoms a lot, so having a few characters to offer people when we’re planning an rp feels good to me.

I could definitely see a problem with someone recycling, say, a Star Wars OC to use in a Lord of the Rings or Old West roleplay. In that case, I would just make a new sheet instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Personally I despise character sheets. I'm the type of RPer who likes to reveal their characters as the stories progress. It's hard for me to fully form a character before I even get a chance to write them in the story anyway. I need to write them out, get a full feel for their personality. Usually the only aspect I can determine before a RP begins are their histories.

Personally I despise character sheets. I'm the type of RPer who likes to reveal their characters as the stories progress. It's hard for me to fully form a character before I even get a chance to write them in the story anyway. I need to write them out, get a full feel for their personality. Usually the only aspect I can determine before a RP begins are their histories.
I do character sheets when I have to, but truth be told I also despise them. Character histories are also my bane. I'll have a few idea for them, but I mostly want to know their physical characteristics, their class/job/ and a bit of their outlook. Other than that, I love to just find out the rest on the way.

I think the point that’s being made is that on one hand, saying “I don’t like to accommodate other people’s preferences” (doubling when that person obviously strongly prefers it), but then on the other hand wanting people to accommodate your preference (not doubling) is a double standard.

It’s not the fact that you have a preference that’s the problem, mind. It’s the entitlement.
And I am not entitling anything. I am just asking that it would be better as an option. If it isn't optional then it isn't optional and I move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back