Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
really don't like being picky or exclusionary when this site is all about people having fun,

There is nothing exclusionary about declining a submission. Accepting whatever is thrown at you for the sake of inclusion does not serve the interests of your RP. Why accept the character if the character can't tell the story you setup?

Have to figure out how to kindly suggest to a person who clearly barely read any of the exhaustive background information you provided that basically everything about their character needs to change.

Weep.

I really don't like being picky or exclusionary when this site is all about people having fun, but sometimes it's really frustrating when people clearly just want to insert a character they like into any RP even if it's totally immersion breaking.

Having used to be super nice I can tell you that you should never feel like you have to bend over backwards to include or give a chance to everyone who approaches you. For everyone in an RP to be able to have fun it means people who don't fit don't join the RP to begin with. And if you are doing a group then keep in mind you don't want to force your other people to have to break emersion for just one person. Of all the people I talk to that do groups many RPs end "Because of this person that . . . . . "

Even only posting for 1 x 1 RPs when it being open playing a premade character and open to ideas of mixing genre I have had people throw characters that are so blasted niche or complicated I have had to be rather blunt that I don't think they will work. It's why I tend to throw in my rules NO section "Characters that don't fit/work in the setting. Or have issues that the whole RP is dealing with their issue."

If it helps a majority of the time the people kind of know they are asking to break rules (or didn't read rules) and all you have to do it point out the inconsistency or just say something and they leave you alone.

"I'm actually looking for an immersive story with character interactions and plot to it. I'm not feeling that this character will allow for that." Throw in a couple examples of your worries for that character in general so they know you actually thought about it and will go look elsewhere. Now and then I get a rude, entitled or bratty response that is just asking for a insta-block.

Last edited:
1. People who say their responses tend to be 4+ paragraphs and have roleplays/posted works that corroborate this but when you start an RP with them they give you basically nothing. If you're not interested in the roleplay after all that's totally fine, I understand, we can try tweaking the plot to make it more interesting or simply agree we're not a good fit as partners. But whyyyyy give 10% effort and not say anything?? Drives me up the wall.

2. Ignoring large chunks of dialogue/scene-making in a post. It's one thing to miss a couple little things in a response, but when it's big things that might inform the plot it just feels like the other person didn't care enough to actually read what was written. Half of RP is reading skills and I'm not going to end up sticking with an RP where my partner can't seem to read what I've written.

3. "Oh yeah, lets do well developed characters that have their own lives and any romance is just a sub-plot" but then you start the RP and it takes two paragraphs before their character is either in love with yours or a perfect Mary/Gary-sue with no room for character growth.... or both.

I'm just lucky that all my current roleplays and partners don't suffer from any of this, but man has it ruined roleplays for me before lol.
(to any of my RP partners if they ever see this... you guys are the best.)

yes, all of this!

I've got a couple contributions for today:

Dialogue-Summarizing, in an active conversation. This isn't like a planned summarization of a meeting or event, this is someone actively talking to your character, but rather than provide the details of what is said, they summarize it. HOW something is said, and what EXACTLY is said, are so very important, ESPECIALLY when it's a persuasion attempt! Or when OOC I have no idea what's the particulars are that are being summarized.

And then another one: not picking up other characters, particularly in settings like meetings, and ONLY focusing on your OC, leaving the other person to play every. single. role. Especially in a fandom setting, where the characters are from the series, and you're not stepping on anyone's toes about "claimed" characters, or NPCs they created for the meeting.

- People tacking on skills and abilities on characters without accounting for the journey it took to collect them, how it impacted their life and who they are today, etc.
- People tacking on skills just because it makes their character extra quirky and for not much other reason.
- Characters who are good at everything, especially if their skillset happens to start encroaching onto that of other characters who specialize in those skills.
- People giving their characters cliché tragic backstories; I've seen a lot of other people complain about this one a lot but never knew how bad it could get until recently.
- People collecting character pairing ships like they're Pokemon and not bothering to do or contribute anything to them or developing them.

People who think they can get you to RP any style despite you being upfront about the RP style your are expecting. Rules clearly say Third person paragraph only. No** or script styles. Even have an example of what I want to be reading while I RP.

Start RP and get a script. Their reasoning "I'll RP my style and you RP yours."

I get somewhat aggravated seeing people reboot the same idea over and over and over again with no sign that they've actually changed as a GM and will truly commit to the RP idea. It seems like people are more interested in setting up the interest check and the discord OOC than actually keeping the plot alive. If it dies, they just reboot again. Or post their umpteenth interest check for the hype points.

I really hate it when people project onto their characters to the point where any conflict that happens in the RP becomes OOC hurt feelings.

Like, I get it. It's good to relate to your character, write from experience, and all of that stuff. A lot of really iconic characters in literature are self-inserts. But there has to be a level of separation where characters can dislike your character or criticize their actions without you taking it as a personal attack.

This kind of ties into the thing where people give their characters certain triggers without ever explaining that these are their own personal triggers, and then get upset when those subjects get broached in the game.

If your character becomes so intrinsic to yourself that you can't separate their pain and conflict from your own, it's time to take a big step back and reevaluate whether you're in a healthy state to RP right now.

What's making me angry today is that I can't seem to find a roleplaying partner who is whiling to be committed and to find someone who likes the same fandoms as I do for role-play. I also can't seem to find anyone that's in my time zone to do roleplaying with.

roleplay: starts and im doing the intro post

7 mins: Are you done yet?

Me: n o

10 mins: Please don’t write anything too detailed.

me: ok

14 mins: Im leaving the rp you are taking way to much time.

me: >:[

salem. salem.
I mean you probably dodged a bullet
I am so sorry that happened, that's just...I mean I type fast, but sometimes the thoughts don't come, distractions happen, and starters can be rough!

Bahaha I feel you deeply, some people are very inpatient and only write one-liners smh

Why people gotta make their posts in such small text? I got glasses I can't read that shit. Making me copy paste their post into pastebin smh.

Why people gotta make their posts in such small text? I got glasses I can't read that shit. Making me copy paste their post into pastebin smh.

I honestly hate this. It's like ... how does writing in a tiny ass font make your post more "a e s t h e t i c"? It just makes your posts illegible for a certain amount of people who otherwise might make good RP partners or friends. Hate to use an -ism here but it's basically ableist and I'm sure the people who do it don't realise that, but it is.

*cries in mobile*
I've skipped over so many potentially interesting search threads just because I could not read them.

Bonus points for white text on white background.

I feel like no matter how good the content is, if n interest check is buried in a ton of BBcode, I feel like I dodged a bullet being unable to read it, because I can't imagine having to write my posts like that for the whole RP. Like ... let people who like the code-heavy stuff stick together. XD

in their defense, a lot of people usually say they write rp normally and unreadable code and tiny text is just for the search thread XDD
But I totally agree, it attracts other people who love coding and there is nothing wrong with that :)

in their defense, a lot of people usually say they write rp normally and unreadable code and tiny text is just for the search thread XDD
But I totally agree, it attracts other people who love coding and there is nothing wrong with that :)

It would be more helpful for potential partners if the interest check and the rp were formatted in a similar manner.

I've come across people who use only lower case in the interest check but swear blind they use capitalisation in rp, and that I believe. XD

I always felt that was backwards personally. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a readable search thread (thus ensuring you cast the widest possible net) then just use the fancy code when you find a partner who can read it?

As it’s not gonna do you any good to go through the trouble of weeding out everyone who doesn’t like/can’t read fancy codes then turn around and use plain text for the roleplay itself.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a readable search thread (thus ensuring you cast the widest possible net) then just use the fancy code when you find a partner who can read it?
I don't agree. If I saw a good search thread and then the partner would make every rp post unreadable AFTER we agreed to rp, I'd be way more annoyed.

What is the point of casting a wider net if in the end you won't be compatible?
So in a way, unreadable search thread immediately weeds out people who dislike coding, so it actually does the job of protecting from incompatible partners. Because for some people pretty coding makes rp more enjoyable and they'd have to compromise if their partner doesn't like that. But like this they can find a like-minded partner.

I don't agree. If I saw a good search thread and then the partner would make every rp post unreadable AFTER we agreed to rp, I'd be way more annoyed.

What is the point of casting a wider net if in the end you won't be compatible?
So in a way, unreadable search thread immediately weeds out people who dislike coding, so it actually does the job of protecting from incompatible partners. Because for some people pretty coding makes rp more enjoyable and they'd have to compromise if their partner doesn't like that. But like this they can find a like-minded partner.

But that’s my point, if you like pretty coding than why switch to more assessable coding AFTER you narrowed your options down to people who can read fancy coding? As most issues with coding is down to the simple “I can’t read this on my device.” It’s not a matter of like/dislike it’s a matter of can/can’t read.

So therefore why go through the trouble of only accepting people who canread the inaccessible code when you aren’t going to continue to use it? You haven’t actually weeded out any meaningful attributes of your partner then.

You have just said “yes you can read this inaccessible text but ultimately that doesn’t matter because I won’t be using it going forward.”

edit : think of it this way if you go to the trouble of making your TV show accessible to those with hearing impairments but don’t make the commercial for the TV show accessible too than what’s the point? You don’t change the content of the show either way. And if you are going to go the effort to make sure those with hearing impairments can enjoy the show anyway than why not promote your show to them as well?

But that’s my point, if you like pretty coding than why switch to more assessable coding AFTER you narrowed your options down to people who can read fancy coding? As most issues with coding is down to the simple “I can’t read this on my device.” It’s not a matter of like/dislike it’s a matter of can/can’t read.
This tbh. It seriously makes me wanna ask this to such thread owners: "Are you actually requiring participants to hop into PC for RP-ing? Do you not want mobile users to join in?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back