Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 'want ads' on a few different sites. All of them specify in the title and in the body that I'm only interested in queer/lgbtq+ romance/pairings. I've had five people in the past week ask me for het stuff and then get salty when I decline. Like...don't reply to queer-specific want ads if you're jonesing for het content? And please, *please* stop talking about plot/world-building stuff for 10 posts only to drop the 'het only' bomb. I'm not going to change my preferences just because we've spent some time plotting, and I'm not 'narrow-minded' for wanting romantic pairings that reflect my own IRL identity. :/
As a het RPer, I agree, lol. Seems odd that people would apply for stuff they don't actually want. It's like trying to sue Wal-Mart for not being Target.

having a TON of muse but just being completely unable to use it. either cos i can't find a good thread, or im waiting on responses or whatever. there's nothing more frustrating than being stuck with all this pent up writing juice with nothing to pour it into, especially when its so damn rare that i get any in the first place. i just wanna use that juice man ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

The fact that roleplay depression hit me hard right now. I wanna reply but my posts are absolute shit right now.

I'm only interested in queer/lgbtq+ romance/pairings.

Are bisexuals not queer? I know what you mean, but I enjoy playing bi/pan pairings so I often struggle to find queer rp partners who are willing to RP bi characters. I know whoever propositioned you probably stated they wanted to play a heterosexual couple, I don't doubt that, but as someone who RPs bi characters queer RPers can be a bit biphobic and difficult about anything other than explicitly m/m and f/f queerness.

Last edited:

The fact that roleplay depression hit me hard right now. I wanna reply but my posts are absolute shit right now.

advice. just post the damn post your partners won't care. rpers are like starving dogs we'll take anything you give us. besides it's the era of covid no one, not a single soul, absolutely no one is expecting perfection. we're all stress, sad, desperate people looking for small escapes.

so do yourself and your partners the favor and just give them some word salad. they're hungry and you're denying them a meal because you don't have any garnish. fuck the garnish give them the table scraps and eventually you'll write that golden gem . . . for now feed them, they're so hungry.

Are bisexuals not queer? Sorry I know what you mean, but I enjoy playing bi/pan pairings so I often struggle to find queer rp partners who are willing to RP bi characters. I know whoever propositioned you probably stated they wanted to play a heterosexual couple, I don't doubt that, but as someone who RPs bi characters queer RPers can be a bit biphobic and difficult about anything other than explicitly m/m and f/f queerness.

Of course, bisexuals are queer. They're right there in the acronym. I'm bisexual and genderqueer IRL, and I play several bisexual and genderqueer characters, and yeah: the biphobia in the LGBTQ+ community is gross and super problematic. That's really not the point of my post, though. The comment wasn't about queer characters, it was about explicitly requesting an m/m or f/f pairing, and being met with people getting mad when I don't want an f/m pairing. The sexual orientations or gender identities of the characters aren't the concern, the concern is having my clearly-stated requests ignored, and then being met with weirdness when I don't change my requests to align with whatever the person messaging me wants.

Of course, bisexuals are queer. They're right there in the acronym. I'm bisexual and genderqueer IRL, and I play several bisexual and genderqueer characters, and yeah: the biphobia in the LGBTQ+ community is gross and super problematic. That's really not the point of my post, though. The comment wasn't about queer characters, it was about explicitly requesting an m/m or f/f pairing, and being met with people getting mad when I don't want an f/m pairing. The sexual orientations or gender identities of the characters aren't the concern, the concern is having my clearly-stated requests ignored, and then being met with weirdness when I don't change my requests to align with whatever the person messaging me wants.

"How dare you make a clear, short, and not confusing at all request!" I do find it confusing though, I mean xD if you dont fit into the request, all you do is leave, not try to make people accept your idea. Respect is the keyword I guess haha.

That's really not the point of my post, though.

This isn't usually something I contend with in RPs but the 'this isn't the point of my post' reached so deep into my broken soul and recent frustrations. I made a passing comment that I wanted to be a Sponge in my next life (who wouldn't) and got subjected to a fair amount of time being lectured on the dangers of invasive species and endangering/disturbing ecosystems - I'm so tired of people who can't stop virtue signalling, or chasing that 'gotcha' high over fucking anything. I'm sorry for being an invasive sponge in my fucking day-dreams. Get off twitter.

Yeah there are some really homophobic people on this site (and some transphobes too who are even worse).

I had one person who wouldnโ€™t even allow me to say LGBTQ people existed as background characters. Like I wasnโ€™t even asking them to do a gay main pairing, I just wanted LGBTQ people to be side characters to help flesh out the world.

And then get super self righteous about it, like Iโ€™m not a bigot I just canโ€™t handle gay people existing in a fictional universe I created unless their celibate or in the closet.

So yeah I can definitely see people like that also getting snotty about you not changing your LGBTQ character into a straight one.

partner search ads that are just unbelievably aggressive, and start off with 'i KNOW what i LIKE and i will NOT TOLERATE ANYTHING LESS', and they go on to write an incredibly detailed list of rules with hostile commentary to each line - 'if you do THIS it is OVER' and 'don't even talk to me if you ever dare do this'. it's super off putting - the rules aren't even unreasonable, usually, it's just that attitude is gross. it makes it clear that they'll be incredibly unpleasant to write with.

do i dislike it when people message me and claim to be writing at an advanced level when they are very clearly not? yes. but there's a simple solution: ask for a writing sample up front. don't put 'send me a writing sample, BECAUSE MOST OF YOU ARE GARBAGE AND I REFUSE TO BE SUBJECTED TO A SINGLE POORLY CONSTRUCTED SENTENCE EVER AGAIN LEST I BLOW THIS ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKER UP'. like holy shitballs batman, calm tf down.

also saw somebody mention how using an 'i' instead of an 'I' in OOC means you probably write like a ten year old IC - i don't even have words for that. surely no adult could genuinely believe something like that?

northerner northerner it depends on what their anal about.

If itโ€™s like - I will not do X kind of pairing because people have been toxic assholes about it in the past. Then honestly fair enough.

Or if itโ€™s you just be X age and Y gender because I have been cyber stalked in the past then sure.

But if itโ€™s just weird grammar rules or face claim restrictions then yeah they need to chill.

Edit (oops my fingers slipped.

Last edited:
Aggressive RP ads in general, including these players' bios. They typically, quite unironically, go something like this:

"I am a BITCH. I am a VICIOUS ALPHA DOG who protects her friends and WILL NOT tolerate BULLSHIT. I don't like FAKE people. I will NOT be your FRIEND. Don't FUCK with ME. My characters are MEAN and so am I. If you take it personally it is NOT MY problem. I am not for the SENSITIVE. I will CHEW YOU UP and SPIT YOU OUT."

Who...who hurt you? Do people actually enjoy this behavior and find it appealing? I don't care how good of a writer they are, if someone comes across that unapologetically abrasive in their description about themselves, I immediately stop reading and do a full on 20 mile sprint away from them.

Aggressive RP ads in general, including these players' bios. They typically, quite unironically, go something like this:

"I am a BITCH. I am a VICIOUS ALPHA DOG who protects her friends and WILL NOT tolerate BULLSHIT. I don't like FAKE people. I will NOT be your FRIEND. Don't FUCK with ME. My characters are MEAN and so am I. If you take it personally it is NOT MY problem. I am not for the SENSITIVE. I will CHEW YOU UP and SPIT YOU OUT."

Who...who hurt you? Do people actually enjoy this behavior and find it appealing? I don't care how good of a writer they are, if someone comes across that unapologetically abrasive in their description about themselves, I immediately stop reading and do a full on 20 mile sprint away from them.

I've... never actually come across intros like this, lmao. I mean, the alt of one of mine's kinda pissy, but eh, not sure.

Here's my "Pissy" intro for reference (I have two)

Eyyo, if you're a roleplayer put your hands up! Name's Flame and I am here to host this overtly irritated trip down my Roleplay Rules, Requests, and Regulations! Now, following along the lines of the earlier sentence, if you're a roleplayer who's just here for romance, get out. Like... now. Please leave. I've had enough of people trying to wrap my characters into noncon relationships, so go. Shoo.

'Aight. Now that I've weeded out... probably half of you, time for an introduction.

Hello, you can call me whatever you so desire so long as I know you're talking about me and you're respecting pronouns. I am nonbinary and like to keep it that way, and lo and behold, a minor. Heh... I bet another few people just left.

I've... never actually come across intros like this, lmao. I mean, the alt of one of mine's kinda pissy, but eh, not sure.

It's less of a problem on RPN thanks to the younger demographic. The last RP site or two I was on leaned towards an older audience; the best way I know to describe the atmosphere there is imagine a bunch of upper-class, middle aged women taking a yoga class but they're all extremely catty, cling fiercely to cliques, and have nothing better to do than start passive aggressive feuds with each other. It was...something else, seeing a bunch of grown ass 30-some-year-old adults posting things like that on their profiles. Literally high school drama.

Here's my "Pissy" intro for reference (I have two)

Out of curiosity, why be self-degrading about "oh no I bet half of you just left"? It seems like that alone could ward off people.

It's less of a problem on RPN thanks to the younger demographic. The last RP site or two I was on leaded towards an older audience; the best way I know to describe the atmosphere there is imagine a bunch of upper-class, middle aged women taking a yoga class but they're all extremely catty, cling fiercely to cliques, and have nothing better to do than start passive aggressive feuds with each other. It was...something else, seeing a bunch of grown ass 30-some-year-old adults posting things like that on their profiles. Literally high school drama.

Wait, I thought all Yoga classes were like that. Jokes aside, dang, sounds like a mess to go through. I love this site honestly.

It's less of a problem on RPN thanks to the younger demographic. The last RP site or two I was on leaned towards an older audience; the best way I know to describe the atmosphere there is imagine a bunch of upper-class, middle aged women taking a yoga class but they're all extremely catty, cling fiercely to cliques, and have nothing better to do than start passive aggressive feuds with each other. It was...something else, seeing a bunch of grown ass 30-some-year-old adults posting things like that on their profiles. Literally high school drama.

Oh, wheeze. Yeah, I can imagine that very clearly. Cheezits.

Out of curiosity, why be self-degrading about "oh no I bet half of you just left"? It seems like that alone could ward off people.

In my experience, people like playing romance. For every 3 romance rps (1x1s) I've seen, there's maybe one platonic rp. Also this intro is more of a... "If you like attitude, here's this" intro. My other one's much calmer and less self-degrading 'cause I know it can wig people out.

ScatheAriiasqDrayceon ScatheAriiasqDrayceon honestly your intro didnโ€™t seem pissy at all. As a platonic roleplayer I can definitely feel you frustrating with the over saturation of romance.

I think they were talking more something along the lines of this.

โ€œSo I expect you to be able to use proper grammar at all times. If your post has more than one typo or you canโ€™t hit (XXX) number of words/lines/paragraphs than donโ€™t bother replying.

I will also be playing a female and you WILL play my male love interest. Preferably with these face claims.

If you contact me at any point without me addressing you first I will leave. I donโ€™t like needy partners.โ€

I mean your thing more falls along the line of a reasonable preference. They were talking about just micromanaging with a shitty attitude.

ScatheAriiasqDrayceon ScatheAriiasqDrayceon honestly your intro didnโ€™t seem pissy at all. As a platonic roleplayer I can definitely feel you frustrating with the over saturation of romance.

I think they were talking more something along the lines of this.

โ€œSo I expect you to be able to use proper grammar at all times. If your post has more than one typo or you canโ€™t hit (XXX) number of words/lines/paragraphs than donโ€™t bother replying.

I will also be playing a female and you WILL play my male love interest. Preferably with these face claims.

If you contact me at any point without me addressing you first I will leave. I donโ€™t like needy partners.โ€

I mean your thing more falls along the line of a reasonable preference. They were talking about just micromanaging with a shitty attitude.

Yeaaaah, I can understand despising those xD

If I have to write rules, I try to... soften the blow a bit, lol. It can be a bit esteem-destroying or just flat-out frustrating to keep being turned away with some angry remark.

northerner northerner it depends on what their anal about.

If itโ€™s like - I will not do X kind of pairing because people have been toxic assholes about it in the past. Then honestly fair enough.

Or if itโ€™s you just be X age and Y gender because I have been cyber stalked in the past then sure.

But if itโ€™s just weird grammar rules or face claim restrictions then yeah they need to chill.

Edit (oops my fingers slipped.

yeah but none of your examples are actually hostile, though. i'm talking about the over the top drama queens who seem like they're in a sour ass mood writing their ad.

When people don't elaborate on the reasons behind the rules of their roleplay. It just makes it needlessly harder to follow the spirit of them.

Generally, the thing that annoys me the most recently are people who are all: "If you decide to leave the roleplay, you NEED to TELL ME WHY. DON'T GHOST ME OR I'LL ADD YOU TO MY BLACKLIST."

Like, man, reflect inwardly for just a second.

Just to add on to this! When you actually sit down and ask these kinds of people why the hell they're all mad-dog they'll give you every excuse under the sun to justify it: (1) You have no idea what I've been through on RPN and the people I've had to endure (2) There are a lot of people out there that experienced this too (3) If you don't get what I'm feeling, that just means you [haven't found a bad partner yet so you're lucky/are the part of the people I look down upon too] (4) Sure, not everyone sucks but I can't TRUST them to be good and roleplay the only way I deem acceptable

Hell, if you ask GMs who GM like this, you'll also learn that they will - and probably have - never apologized for anything properly. They go bat shit mad-dog on some poor innocent player whose only flaw was ... who knows, 'i' instead of 'I', and they'll call them every name under the sun, make up the nastiest assumptions about them based on the smallest of slips, because remember, they will not TOLERATE ANY BULLSHIT OR EXCUSES, and when they find out that all their nasty assumptions were wrong/don't exist/don't even matter because the person is just ... fine and dandy? "Oh. Well, they're still annoying."

Sorry for detracting but, god I'm taking your advice to just run away from the mad-dogs.

Generally, the thing that annoys me the most recently are people who are all: "If you decide to leave the roleplay, you NEED to TELL ME WHY. DON'T GHOST ME OR I'LL ADD YOU TO MY BLACKLIST."

Like, man, reflect inwardly for just a second.

They make me want to ask to RP and ghost. I don't. But it feels like bait and I wanna bite!

You're so right but at the same time I would 90% sign up out of morbid, masochistic curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back