Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I just don't understand it considering there's like a million people who would probably RP their ideas.

This is the thing that makes me really hate fetishers. I came to RP Nation when someone told me they had a no sex rule as on my old site you had to wade through fetish ads to find a decent roleplay ad. Yet people still try to find people not interested and force it in. Had one after I called them out for being a sicko as they tried to pull a whole pity story that actually pretty much admitted to picking people not into fetish and trying to slip it in was "No one into my thing writes well or actually wants to do story!"

Not going to RP when you literally admit you feel you can't and shouldn't have to quit forcing your stuff on others because your fetish friends won't write actual story in between your character being a perv. Not my circus not my monkeys.

People who give the run around. Dealing with one gal from a different website who's been doing this for two days.
She wants to roleplay. But she just won't tell me anything about her character, and keeps gushing about romantic nonsense.
And she continuously ignores everything I say about my character, cause I've had to repeat the same thing five times today alone.
I give it another two days before she's talked herself out of it entirely and this malarkey can stop.

I have a tone of started conversations for RPs that I'm the last to type on. Many dealing with people talking about their characters and me asking questions, then when I mention my character I get nothing. Like seriously? If you don't think they are story compatible or something at least say something.

Ugh, I hate romantics. Yeah, I literally list no romance and a couple times a RP talk ends with them asking for a character a different gender than what I show and I tell them "Yes, but to be clear I said I don't do romance."

Had one after I called them out for being a sicko as they tried to pull a whole pity story that actually pretty much admitted to picking people not into fetish and trying to slip it in was "No one into my thing writes well or actually wants to do story!"
PSA for everyone: Be sure to report anyone that tries this with you. We are VERY strict about our no-ERP policy - if someone is doing this, we need to know about it. :) We're glad you came to RpN to be at a safe haven and we definitely want to keep it this way!

This is the thing that makes me really hate fetishers. I came to RP Nation when someone told me they had a no sex rule as on my old site you had to wade through fetish ads to find a decent roleplay ad. Yet people still try to find people not interested and force it in. Had one after I called them out for being a sicko as they tried to pull a whole pity story that actually pretty much admitted to picking people not into fetish and trying to slip it in was "No one into my thing writes well or actually wants to do story!"

Not going to RP when you literally admit you feel you can't and shouldn't have to quit forcing your stuff on others because your fetish friends won't write actual story in between your character being a perv. Not my circus not my monkeys.

I have a tone of started conversations for RPs that I'm the last to type on. Many dealing with people talking about their characters and me asking questions, then when I mention my character I get nothing. Like seriously? If you don't think they are story compatible or something at least say something.

Ugh, I hate romantics. Yeah, I literally list no romance and a couple times a RP talk ends with them asking for a character a different gender than what I show and I tell them "Yes, but to be clear I said I don't do romance."

Doubtful those people don't find your characters story compatible. Sounds more like they only care about their own character and interactions, which is sadly kinda common.
I don't hate romance by any means, and enjoy having it as an element. But I totally get why you say 'no romance', cause some people will only focus on it. And those people are super obnoxious.
Also sorry you seem to have run into some fetish people. That's never fun and is kinda creepy since I doubt a lot of us on here are looking for that when we ask to roleplay. :s

not really a pet peeve, but there's a relative lack of really tantalizing group roleplay interest checks at the moment! maybe it's because so many people are in school right now, but nonetheless... i'll keep browsing!

For me right now, it's more frustrated at myself. I keep trying to start new RPs, knowing I probably shouldn't, then my lack of interest is glaringly obvious and I leave these poor people hanging because my headspace right now just... doesn't want to do certain types of RP (even when they're my plots!) I basically keep trying to find a spark for something new, but it's not happening.
I need someone to spray me with a water bottle like a misbehaving cat whenever I try to get new RPs that I know I won't last too long in.

New gripe:
People who come to me and have no clue what they want, but don't like any of my ideas either.
What purgatory punishment is this?

I like this thread an awful lot.

What I don't like is when people come to me just for writing. I know that writing is typically the main focus of things, but I enjoy making friends with the people I'm RPing with...and I also get really hyped about my 1x1's. I make mood boards and playlists, and it makes me really sad when people don't put out the same level of energy. I know not everyone is extra/has the time for that stuff, but at least be excited whenever I make custom memes!

Like the one I'm about to post right now...

mebeingextra.jpg

New gripe:
People who come to me and have no clue what they want, but don't like any of my ideas either.
What purgatory punishment is this?
This is why I have learned to simply say no thank you the moment I recognize that something is off. Whether it be very obvious like what you said, or a subtler feeling about someone. If my first impression gives me nope vibes then I listen and NOPE out. Sometimes I don't even reply to people who clearly do not care.

I'll admit I find locating a new RP partner unbelievably difficult now a days. I use to just say "hey you wanna do this" and we'd just start writing, the hababallo around just asking for a RP from someone has gotten so out of hand that it almost is easier to write on my own (as much as that gives me zero satisfaction). I find that even at my best attempts, my most conversational I fail to really vibe with many people.

So yeah you get to ride out the waves of bleh. I don't know why it happens . . . I can deduce from experience why it happens to me, but not really others! XD IT JUST IS!

Pet peeve:

If you write like a ten-year old in OOC, I'm gonna expect that you write like a ten-year old in IC. Not being mean, not calling anyone out, but please. I'm not saying you have to write like Shakespeare, but have the mental capacity to say "I" instead of "i"

Idk if it's getting spicy in here or if it's just my absolute killer hotness, but let's get back into the fun part of this thread.

Another thing I don't particularly like is when people stop talking to you in OOC outside of an infrequent "Hi" but keep writing in the IC like there's no awkward tension. This doesn't happen often, but when it does? Not very cool.

Idk if it's getting spicy in here or if it's just my absolute killer hotness, but let's get back into the fun part of this thread.

Another thing I don't particularly like is when people stop talking to you in OOC outside of an infrequent "Hi" but keep writing in the IC like there's no awkward tension. This doesn't happen often, but when it does? Not very cool.

Literally just happened to me recently, even though I tried to send like, memes and comments to maintain it.

Literally just happened to me recently, even though I tried to send like, memes and comments to maintain it.

Isn't it the worst? And then when they finally do talk to you outside of "Hi, how are you?" it's a soul-crushing three-word response.

Me: "And then I dropped the dankest meme and everyone clapped."

Them: "Yeah lol, cool."

I KNOW YOU CAN TYPE MORE YOU'RE DOING IT FOR OUR RP.

I've been dealing with this newfound issue (someone mentioned something similar earlier in this thread so it might be like the full moon or something).

I usually am the one asking questions to get the best start to an RP as we can but lately, a few of my new partners have non-stop asked me questions about every little detail to every little plot and I basically have to keep asking "Okay, we answered almost every question, can we start the RP now?" and they will find something else and it's like...omg...I thought you wanted to RP if I answer EVERY single thing about my character what exactly are we going to RP here? We've already solved the entire thing OOC!

It reminds me of those people who will read the end of the book on purpose just to spoil it for themselves or just can't not know what happens. This is fine if that's your style but it definitely isn't mine unless we are floundering for what to do next.

Like this guy kept asking me question after question and eventually after he asked what a face claim was (context being I wanted to know if we needed to use them since it's popular on the site I'm on) and he had no clue what it was, I answered the question and it was just "Ok, no I don't." like why do I have to hold your hand through this? If you're like this OOC I can't imagine you'll be moving the plot forward IC. I stopped answering and he never replied to me.

It reminds me of a sim. If you were to put a chair in front of them they couldn't figure to jump over it or any other solution. If I am not continuously asking him to RP he just isn't going to do it. Funny thing is, it was a one-shot so we had probably had more discussion than what we would have done in the RP.

I am also so happy I have this site so I can vent anon. Lol...jesus.

I've been dealing with this newfound issue (someone mentioned something similar earlier in this thread so it might be like the full moon or something).

I usually am the one asking questions to get the best start to an RP as we can but lately, a few of my new partners have non-stop asked me questions about every little detail to every little plot and I basically have to keep asking "Okay, we answered almost every question, can we start the RP now?" and they will find something else and it's like...omg...I thought you wanted to RP if I answer EVERY single thing about my character what exactly are we going to RP here? We've already solved the entire thing OOC!

It reminds me of those people who will read the end of the book on purpose just to spoil it for themselves or just can't not know what happens. This is fine if that's your style but it definitely isn't mine unless we are floundering for what to do next.

Like this guy kept asking me question after question and eventually after he asked what a face claim was (context being I wanted to know if we needed to use them since it's popular on the site I'm on) and he had no clue what it was, I answered the question and it was just "Ok, no I don't." like why do I have to hold your hand through this? If you're like this OOC I can't imagine you'll be moving the plot forward IC. I stopped answering and he never replied to me.

It reminds me of a sim. If you were to put a chair in front of them they couldn't figure to jump over it or any other solution. If I am not continuously asking him to RP he just isn't going to do it. Funny thing is, it was a one-shot so we had probably had more discussion than what we would have done in the RP.

I am also so happy I have this site so I can vent anon. Lol...jesus.
This sounds like you ran into someone who hasn't been RPing for very long and they were wanting you to teach them.

notafish notafish this on every level. I understand a handful of questions I expect something to be asked, but if you interrogate me I'm checking out. You want to kill an idea for me grill me on every detail. I have learned from the past that to define a world that rigidly in my own head only leads to disappointment and frustration. If you leave no room for the other person to wiggle they won't have fun.

Sometimes I wonder if this delineation of players who require lengthy explanations and, what I often feel is hand holding, are simply players from different roleplay backgrounds. I have encountered a few people who enjoy storyteller style roleplay, where one person leads and plays the majority of characters. While the other player plays one character who is practically guided along, responding to actions but never doing more to progress the story leaving it to the "storyteller" player.

Not sure how common that is around RPN, but I've done it with others and I've seen it on other sites.

In general though I agree it is rather difficult to have faith the other person will pull their weight when you feel like you're doing all the heavy lifting.

I've done the 1 x 1 with one person being in charge of the world many times. In these cases the best way to do it was to have a alien style RP where the non world makers characters somehow wind up in the other persons world. Be it portal, mysteriously waking up in the other world or alien ship crash. The fun in these RPs is basically the lead RPer gets to show off their world and the other person feels like an explorer and can have fun playing their character dealing with something out of the norm. As in any RP search I've come across both fun partners and less than ideal ones.

In this case a lot of questions are happily expected. People who like making the world love discussing their creation and the other player will want to make sure the character they use will be fun in the world they want to play in. The world builders are usually honing world building skills for stories or to practice GMing. Or so you hope. It is not fun to be told someone wants to be in charge of a world and they then don't even know what season it is. . . . . .

Not to mention you want to be sure your partner is compatible. It can be immersion breaking to suddenly have the alien player throw n their character comes across a city in the middle of a world that is suppose to be primitive, or a dinosaur in a modern style sci fi.

Or you start an RP on one premise and they change it suddenly. World described as mostly wilderness with small settlements turns into massive mega city with wall to wall crowding. They tell you a lot about diet and law but somehow leave out the mention of common cannibalism or woman being slaves if not married.

Or the world maker starts to be super railroady forgetting they make the world, but don't control your character. First sign this happens is if they don't want to discuss their world with you during the RP.

Yeah I have definately gotten people new to this particular style of roleplaying before. It is always a fine line between being a good mentor and actually progressing the story. I am the type of world builder CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters was talking about above, so I absolutely don’t mind showing off my worlds to newbies.

But it can also get a little draining to have to handle hold every single step.

So it’s definately something you have to be careful about. As you want to balance your enjoyment with your partners learning curve.

People who message me saying only "Hey, wanna rp?" and nothing else.

Like, if I'm bumping my search thread then there's a pretty good chance I'm looking for more people. And I don't know whether I'm interested in RPing with you specifically, because you have given me absolutely nothing at all to work with.

Ever try and look into a franchise for an RP, but the only means to watch or read it leaves things out?

I was looking for Classic Doctor Who because I want to try out the tabletop system and get some context for the comics and audio dramas. I saw that the first 26 seasons are only legally available on a Britbox which is an additional seven dollars a month to watch, and then it looks like they might not even have all the existing episodes.

Ever try and look into a franchise for an RP, but the only means to watch or read it leaves things out?

I was looking for Classic Doctor Who because I want to try out the tabletop system and get some context for the comics and audio dramas. I saw that the first 26 seasons are only legally available on a Britbox which is an additional seven dollars a month to watch, and then it looks like they might not even have all the existing episodes.
There are actually a lot of missing Doctor Who episodes. Some were taped over by the BBC and others were destroyed in a large studio fire a number of years ago. Its always very exciting when someone comes forward having actually recorded the episode so that it can be added back to the archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back