Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people try to guilt trip you into roleplaying with them even after you've politely rejected the idea.

I think one of the things that has annoyed me the most in the past, and something I want to still say sometimes in regard to roleplaying experiences is this:

I understand if you are on a certain standard for your writing. I understand if you like to detail EVERY little part of your OC. I know I'm not the best writer, but don't insult my OC just because I don't make her personality match exactly what her astrology sign should be! And don't insult my character just because she's justifiably depressed! It's not edgy if written correctly and respectfully, it's also not edgy if you've DONE YOUR RESEARCH

Wait aren’t astrology signs based on date of birth? It sounds to me like that person didn’t understand how astrology works if they were pissy about personality. They have literally nothing to do with that. It’s not like a Hogwarts house which you get to pick. It’s “your born on this day in this year, here’s your sign”.

Also as someone whose deal breakers specifically state “no real world mental illnesses” I think there are ways to respectfully decline those types of characters without being a dick.

I just say “I’m sorry that’s a deal breaker for me. I have too many family members with depression to be comfortable writing about it in roleplays.”

I can be a little critical of CS but it’s usually in the vein of “Your personality and backstory contradict each other.” Or “That power doesn’t make sense in the setting”

And people rightly call me out when I’m being obnoxious about it.

One thing I do wish I said more though is the bit about mental health. As someone whose entire family has mental health issues, I find it frankly bizarre when people act like it’s perfectly fine to substitute professional therapy with Roleplaying.

Especially since the way some of the people treat mental health makes it seem like their just making excuses. I mean again I am not a doctor so maybe they really are XYZ. But as someone who deals with people who have diagnosed mental health issues you learn to pick up patterns of behavior that are legitimate and people who just don’t want to have personal responsibility.

When people try to guilt trip you into roleplaying with them even after you've politely rejected the idea.
Been there. DA has gotten bad about people trying this. Usually using family issues, mental illness and such to try and make you feel bad about not wanting to do you things you don't enjoy, or are flat out triggering for you. And they come at you like you are old pals betraying them when they literally only talked long enough to be told no. "I really wanted to do this for a long time and no one else wants to do it. It's really making me feel like I'll never get a rp I like." "I'm at home all day because of my problems, I need a distraction." "It won't kill you to do something different." "People like you are why the rest of us can't have fun" "It's selfish to only do what you want to do."

The big one was someone I actually did talk to for a long time. And got weird after we roleplayed awhile it ended because she wanted to go a direction I didn't. A direction that I could honestly say she should have known I would not do. And I explained to her no. And even offered an alternative meeting in the middle. It got kind of hostile and the RP just ended all together.
Then later I got a ranty message about how "I" didn't beg and plead to keep the RP going . . . . Yeah, really kind of went from don't want to RP this to don't want to talk to them at all.

Wait aren’t astrology signs based on date of birth? It sounds to me like that person didn’t understand how astrology works if they were pissy about personality. They have literally nothing to do with that. It’s not like a Hogwarts house which you get to pick. It’s “your born on this day in this year, here’s your sign”.
Okay, so, I don't believe in Astrology or horoscopes or any of those things but I do know how it works.

I'm not gonna give you an in depth explanation or a long list of zodiac signs and traits so here's the breif and summarized gist of it.

There are 12 Zodiac signs, but I'm betting you knew that. If you are born on a day in a specific span of time (April 20th to May 20th cor Tauros, for example) than you're assigned the Zodiac sign of that time span. Now, again, I don't believe this but apparently your sign is supposed to dictate your personality. For example, a Gemini is intelligent and a Leo is dramatic. How true this is is super debateable and I don't believe it but it's a thing. Also it's much more complicated and math heavy than my brief description but I don't have a college degree in it (you can get that, by the way) so I've got no idea on the finer workings of it. Here's an information Website, wikipedia article, and TV Tropes page (beware life ruination) if you're interested in learning more.

So... yeah, they're not doing research wrong (at least, not entirely) but they're still whiny jerks.

Been there. DA has gotten bad about people trying this. Usually using family issues, mental illness and such to try and make you feel bad about not wanting to do you things you don't enjoy, or are flat out triggering for you. And they come at you like you are old pals betraying them when they literally only talked long enough to be told no. "I really wanted to do this for a long time and no one else wants to do it. It's really making me feel like I'll never get a rp I like." "I'm at home all day because of my problems, I need a distraction." "It won't kill you to do something different." "People like you are why the rest of us can't have fun" "It's selfish to only do what you want to do."

The big one was someone I actually did talk to for a long time. And got weird after we roleplayed awhile it ended because she wanted to go a direction I didn't. A direction that I could honestly say she should have known I would not do. And I explained to her no. And even offered an alternative meeting in the middle. It got kind of hostile and the RP just ended all together.
Then later I got a ranty message about how "I" didn't beg and plead to keep the RP going . . . . Yeah, really kind of went from don't want to RP this to don't want to talk to them at all.
I wish I could like this +100 times over. This is a common occurrence for me in the roleplay community and it’s bloody infuriating. People need to learn that no means no. Guilt tripping isn’t cute, it’s a gross form of manipulation.

When you have to sit on the sidelines and listen to your mom and sister get into a mild argument about trans folks knowing that your mom is partially (if not very) transphobic and usususyushfhehensnnamamakkx

idk if Th is is anger or just gottam frustration but yeah I’m a big salt today

When you have to sit on the sidelines and listen to your mom and sister get into a mild argument about trans folks knowing that your mom is partially (if not very) transphobic and usususyushfhehensnnamamakkx

idk if Th is is anger or just gottam frustration but yeah I’m a big salt today
Valid anger, but uh...

This thread’s about salt specifically directed towards roleplaying. Not sure if you misread “rp” as “rl”, flatout didn’t see the bit about it being about rp, didn’t know rp was a shortening of roleplaying, simply was just so mad about this you didn’t care where it was vented, or something else entirely. Regardless, your reply is a liiiitttlleee off topic (unless you left out some context and this is completely rp related.). No hate, just letting you know.

sorry about spelling errors it is early and I am tired

Valid anger, but uh...

This thread’s about salt specifically directed towards roleplaying. Not sure if you misread “rp” as “rl”, flatout didn’t see the bit about it being about rp, didn’t know rp was a shortening of roleplaying, simply was just so mad about this you didn’t care where it was vented, or something else entirely. Regardless, your reply is a liiiitttlleee off topic (unless you left out some context and this is completely rp related.). No hate, just letting you know.

sorry about spelling errors it is early and I am tired
whoop, i completely and utterly missed that

on a more rp related note, i had to leave an rp for like, the third time because people were trying to justify op characters by saying "its not real anyways, why would you care?" (thankfully i could just leave that community- it was on a text-based site)

on a more rp related note, i had to leave an rp for like, the third time because people were trying to justify op characters by saying "its not real anyways, why would you care?" (thankfully i could just leave that community- it was on a text-based site)

I HULK out when I see that BS. I do fantasy based roleplays exclusively. And nothing makes me want to throw my keyboard more than when people hand wave world building lore as “It’s fantasy so whatever right?”

Um no bitch I just spend hours setting up this reality. You will follow the rules of GTFO.

They say that and then they have their character do everything before everyone else and fight other characters attempting to get a chance to shine.

IM BAAAAAACK.

well, ive been back but like floating around in pms. Not really having time to socialize. but as ive been floating, ive been able to gather the dumb crud making me ang-e-r-y

soooooooo lets-a-go!

• "i've had 50000+ years of experience" and then lists an absurd amount of what they expect rpers to do. When the actual rp starts, they give a mediocre response with multiple spelling errors. Yeah, sure buddy, you've got a lot of experience of being BAD
  • i feel offense against people like me where if we dont provide a one sentence response with a beautiful full page of bbcode, you're irrelevant. SOMETIMES I LIKE SCROLLING HERE ON MY PHONE AND LIKE READING POSTS, BUT CANT DO THAT IF ITS BBCODE THROWN UP IN MY LAP.
  • i know some people are like: i wont even bother to try and change things to view bbcode or stuff like that, sometimes I do though! I dont mind finding ways around yall's dumb coding to see if we can be decent partners -- but when i tried to ask someone if i could simply see a vanilla version of their work bc i couldnt view it, they kind of gave me a hard time???? like what is so hard just keeping a non coded version for mobile users to see???
  • OK SO WHY DO SOME PEOPLE JOIN RPS OR GROUP RPS AND THEN JUMP OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH. like the ones that go as far as making a whole character sheet, the whole nine yards, and even say like they're gonna respond -- but never do. I'm not bashing them at all! like hey i get it, shit happens. I know its relatively normal for rps to die out quickly on this site, but its really discouraging to not get a heads up and to put a lot of effort into projects you care about just for people to vanish. Like if youre gonna join, just stick w it or notify the GM, PLEASE.
  • ive said it, time and time again -- i dont understand why asking for the same requests is so hard for others. I like fandom rps from time to time, I enjoy writing as canon characters for others, I like doubling. I dont mind! But why, when someone asks me to do all of that, give me shit and leave the convo for not being able to reciprocate for me?? Like is it so hard?? Why even ask me to do that ?? That just doesnt seem fair that i have to pull all the strings while u relax w ur victim princess oc????? i hate u ?????

ok i think thats all thats b een on my mind

thank u for coming to my ted talk i appreciate [most] of u all ;)

the main thing that really grinds my gears is people seeking their partner to be a specific gender??

unless it is for safety reasons (I.e “I only prefer to write with irl women Or nb folx because I’ve had negative personal experiences with men”)

I guess it’s mostly younger folk but like “I only rp with males irl” is both idiotic and limiting

what even is the reason for that? I can say from experience that someone’s irl sex or gender has literally 0 connection with how well they then write a character of that sex or gender

it’s just weird stop it

the main thing that really grinds my gears is people seeking their partner to be a specific gender??

unless it is for safety reasons (I.e “I only prefer to write with irl women Or nb folx because I’ve had negative personal experiences with men”)

I guess it’s mostly younger folk but like “I only rp with males irl” is both idiotic and limiting

what even is the reason for that? I can say from experience that someone’s irl sex or gender has literally 0 connection with how well they then write a character of that sex or gender

it’s just weird stop it

It always weirds me out when the reason is “My significant other only wants me to roleplay with X gender”.

Like your significant other sounds hella controlling if you can’t write made up stories with people based on their gender.

OH OOMF WAIT I FORGOT ONE MORE.

ok so ever since i made this thread, i mention scenarios ive had from multiple places, A LOT OF THEM FROM HERE.

some people think im calling them out and i think it's hilarious 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

LIKE LMAO GIRL/BOY, NOT EVERYTHINGS ABOUT YOU.

i dont even mention any names, im not @ ing you, leave me tf alone stop being salty and stupid.

I REST MY CASE

It always weirds me out when the reason is “My significant other only wants me to roleplay with X gender”.

Like your significant other sounds hella controlling if you can’t write made up stories with people based on their gender.

Omg one time I started a roleplay (it was medieval fantasy, we were ONE POST IN) and then they went “my wife won’t let me roleplay anymore” and DELETED THE THREAD

bro wHAT DELETE YOUR RELATIONSHIP that’s so toxic

(At thé same time, idk their life, maybe they had talked about it because this person was roleplaying too much over talking to her or something and he continued to do it— but regardless, something hella sus was going on there and left a terrible taste in my mouth)

Omg one time I started a roleplay (it was medieval fantasy, we were ONE POST IN) and then they went “my wife won’t let me roleplay anymore” and DELETED THE THREAD

bro wHAT DELETE YOUR RELATIONSHIP that’s so toxic

(At thé same time, idk their life, maybe they had talked about it because this person was roleplaying too much over talking to her or something and he continued to do it— but regardless, something hella sus was going on there and left a terrible taste in my mouth)

also deleting the thread is rude as hell. Like maybe I wanted to use the lore again or use the post as a sample.

like we can not roleplay without you deleting my work. At least ask if I want to save anything first.

One that has happened a few times.

You have a species that you created, put thought into, and made characters of. Then the other person decides to to tries to introduce a new character of said species. Usually trying to make them as utterly special and different from everything you said. Or flat out contradicting everything about them.

Seriously, just make up your own thing if you your going to do that! I'll be the bouncing board if you need to flesh things out. But don't literally trash my creation.

also deleting the thread is rude as hell. Like maybe I wanted to use the lore again or use the post as a sample.

like we can not roleplay without you deleting my work. At least ask if I want to save anything first.
Yeah, been there. Can be pretty annoying because sometimes you just want to read what you wrote in the past. Reason I hate SKYPE so much. It auto deleted a bunch of old roleplays because it couldn't hold a setting right.

Also had someone delete so they could try to tell me and their friends I was lying about their behavior and why I 'abandoned' them because they knew I once I was confronted by outside sources forget privacy. I would screenshot evidence as soon as their friends tried to mediate/white knight.

So I have only ever posted in 1x1 Interest Checks for partner searches, yeah?

I don’t do group Rp’s, I don’t post in the search area for one, my threads all say “Searching for 1x1”

SO WHY IN LORD BUDDHA’S NAME ARE YOU GONNA MESSAGE ME AND ANOTHER PERSON ASKING WHAT CHARACTERS WE LIKE TO PLAY AND TELL ME IT IS FOR A GROUP RP WHEN BOTH OF MY MAJOR LISTS THREADS EXPLICITLY SAY THAT I DO CANON/OC, USE AN OC MOST OF THE TIME, AND WILL RP AS CANON CHARACTERS /IF WE ARE DOUBLING/?!

WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE TO WASTE MY TIME LIKE THIS?!

Like it wouldn’t be a big deal if it wasn’t for the fact that recently half the people responding to my thread searches clearly didn’t read my rules and what I do when I Rp... Much frustration!

I have so many because I'm a salty salty person lol but probably my biggest pet peeve, just based on how severely inconvenient and annoying it is, is lack of OOC communication with other muns. Or just, other muns flat out not listening to me. There's someone in an (off-site) group I'm in who is literally like a brick wall to plot with or talk to. They've appropriated my ideas and concepts, godmodded and written in for my characters, driven the goals of our threads completely off the rails, backed me into inescapable narrative corners, and every time I ask them to stop it they act like it was a big misunderstanding, as if I didn't Literally tell them beforehand not to do it in plainest wording lol. (It's also a small, casual group with no mods for me to complain to, and on top of that this person has a few years' seniority over me.)

I also don't have a lot of time or energy to just piddle aimlessly with a partner, I like to have a basic outline and a goal when I start a thread or scene with someone, and when the other person won't communicate with me about these things I'll just drop the whole scene lol.

Honorable mentions:
-People who project so far up into their muse's ass that any IC slight against their muse is taken as a personal jab. Had someone vaguepost about Negativity and Bullying once because my muse was being rude to their muse. It was our first interaction.
-People who are overly fixated on shipping. If chemistry happens naturally between two muses based on a series of interactions, and both muns are willing to ship, that's great. But I hate when people are so obsessed with it that their muse(s) can't even stand alone without being propped up by a ship, or when one mun is aggressively pushing a ship and the other mun is clearly not as jazzed lol. Ultimate Cringe.

Oh, another Great one is when people make their muses mind readers. I'm not talking about a setting where actual, literal mind-reading is a thing. I'm talking about when someone has their muse react to something your muse did not say or do, but mentioned in their thoughts/internal narrative. If I describe that my muse feels hesitant but doesn't say or do anything which reveals how they're feeling privately, why does your muse react as if they know somehow that my muse is feeling hesitant??? It completely neuters any interesting conflict I was going for. The culprits are often muns who are intimidated by conflict or misunderstanding between characters who are "supposed" to be on good terms. Or muns who can't stand letting their "hero" muse be beaten or outsmarted by a "villain" muse. But there's no such thing as a good story where everything goes right all the time! Your muse is not omniscient, quit writing like it!

Maybe I'm just being unreasonable but I had to back out of an interest check because the person in charge doesn't really seem to have themselves together on top of not having respect for anyone's time, completely ignoring questions and doesn't really seem to care much when they're the one asking for the RP in the first place.

BB code lol

Earlier I spent half an hour on something, then accidentally hit the RPNation logo and lost all my progress. So do not edit your bb code: note to self.

Also just BB code in-general. I feel like a chump for not using it, especially if other people are, but it gets pretty time-consuming with multiple posts. And it's hard to account for other people. I can read 10-pixel font on a dark backdrop but I can't be in the majority for that. What about mobile-users? What if my aesthetic that was cute two hours ago is actually unholy garbage for the person reading it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back