Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a peeve of mine that has happened in the past finally happened again. I knew it was only a matter of time before I met one again... A Mary-Sue Oc.
Personally, I like Oc’s. I like using them and I like seeing what other people come up with for fandoms. I totally get why people don’t like Oc’s, I’ve seen (and made, I’m ashamed to admit lol) some really shitty ones.
I’m keeping it vague since this happened here on RpN very recently... but I get this Oc description.

Problem 1: “My Oc is the child of the main villain, even though that’s impossible unless they’re like three years old (this is a romance-involved fandom Rp, btw).

Problem 2: Personality: single word, single word, single word, not telling me a damn thing about their character’s actual personality, single word, single word.

Problem 3: This fandom involves having an ability/fighter of sorts. Their ability/fighter is just a female version of the main chatacter’s HELLA OP ability/fighter.
Like it’s very clear they didn’t put in any effort whatsoever.

Problem 4: OMG my character is soooo talented~ Their hobbies are singing and dancing and painting and drawing and she’s soooo talented~

I included weaknesses in my description because it’s pretty important for this particular fandom for combat purposes. They didn’t. Hell, they didn’t even describe what their fighter/ability could do because, like I said, they just made a female version of the main character’s super overpowered ability/fighter.

So a peeve of mine that has happened in the past finally happened again. I knew it was only a matter of time before I met one again... A Mary-Sue Oc.
Personally, I like Oc’s. I like using them and I like seeing what other people come up with for fandoms. I totally get why people don’t like Oc’s, I’ve seen (and made, I’m ashamed to admit lol) some really shitty ones.
I’m keeping it vague since this happened here on RpN very recently... but I get this Oc description.

Problem 1: “My Oc is the child of the main villain, even though that’s impossible unless they’re like three years old (this is a romance-involved fandom Rp, btw).

Problem 2: Personality: single word, single word, single word, not telling me a damn thing about their character’s actual personality, single word, single word.

Problem 3: This fandom involves having an ability/fighter of sorts. Their ability/fighter is just a female version of the main chatacter’s HELLA OP ability/fighter.
Like it’s very clear they didn’t put in any effort whatsoever.

Problem 4: OMG my character is soooo talented~ Their hobbies are singing and dancing and painting and drawing and she’s soooo talented~

I included weaknesses in my description because it’s pretty important for this particular fandom for combat purposes. They didn’t. Hell, they didn’t even describe what their fighter/ability could do because, like I said, they just made a female version of the main character’s super overpowered ability/fighter.
This is so common and it’s also an instant migraine on sight.

Natalie H Natalie H I always wonder in those situations why the person doesn’t just genderbend the main character and be done with it. It would honestly be less annoying and an interesting way to explore how the story might be different from a slightly different perspective.

What exactly were the drawbacks that she made for vampires and werewolves because I for one didn't see any.
I also failed to see how great of a job she did with world building. She just created a place and stuck characters there. It's still the real world but maybe I missed something through all of that garbage-the series.

The werewolves were into some pretty classic alpha/omega BS which led to what could be construed as non consensual pairings that negatively affected their interpersonal relationships. They also had telepathy and she went out of her way to show the negative side of having such a close bond when interpersonal relationships are failing. Now did she explore this in the best way across the board, no but that’s because IRL she has some problematic views on Romance and she went with what she knew.

The vampires had the bloodlust and the fact that newborns where OP but pretty mindless. They could also be killed by I believe chopping off their heads and presumably being mauled by the Wolves. They did still require blood to survive and had to deal with the non aging.

Both origins for the species were very unique and followed a consistent thorough line. I think vampire baby was definitely a drawback and again reflected the authors own problematic takes on a few things.

I mean I’m not saying it’s a unproblematic book just that the preternatural creatures aren’t where the problems lie. It’s pretty much solely in the thin writing for the main female character and Stephanie Meyers ideas of romance. Sort of similarly to Fifty Shades of Grey. The core story is fine the execution is problematic as hell because EL James has some seriously fucked up ideas about women/relationships.

Last edited:
Natalie H Natalie H I always wonder in those situations why the person doesn’t just genderbend the main character and be done with it. It would honestly be less annoying and an interesting way to explore how the story might be different from a slightly different perspective.
Oh definitely! It gets even worse too, because I inquired about abilities and weaknesses since this individual didn’t list anything. They proceeded to inform me that it’s abilities were a combination of the OP main character’s abilities, the SUPER OP villain’s abilities (we’re talking the ability to mess with time/space), and a lesser character’s abilities. So literally nothing about this Oc was original at all.
I wanted to have a damn stroke this pissed me off so bad!

Oh definitely! It gets even worse too, because I inquired about abilities and weaknesses since this individual didn’t list anything. They proceeded to inform me that it’s abilities were a combination of the OP main character’s abilities, the SUPER OP villain’s abilities (we’re talking the ability to mess with time/space), and a lesser character’s abilities. So literally nothing about this Oc was original at all.
I wanted to have a damn stroke this pissed me off so bad!

This is always a danger in anime RPs, as there's a high likelihood of ridiculously OP canon characters, making everyone think "If [HERO] can do this, my character should too!"

This is always a danger in anime RPs, as there's a high likelihood of ridiculously OP canon characters, making everyone think "If [HERO] can do this, my character should too!"
I honestly haven’t come across it in quite a long time, so it was a total bummer when it did happen! Especially since I haven’t managed to find anyone else to Rp this particular anime.
A rule of thumb I always try and follow is that if the Oc can beat the three to five strongest characters (depending on the number of characters), then there’s an issue. At the very least, I could tolerate it if it was something that happened over time... like they slowly get stronger throughout the Rp, but even then, it’s something that should be handled pretty carefully to avoid stepping into Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu territory.

A similar thing happens in magic/superhero stories only at least there you can usually reverse the damage by just leaning into the camp. Oh you want to go crazy with your magical abilities/superhero powers awesome I'll do the same and we'll just make the laws of reality elastic as fuck. Starting with my character getting a mcguffin that cancels out all your characters powers.

I often think just leaning into the fun insanity of it can be helpful and just flat out refusing to let the person railroad you. Or if you are really annoyed just act unimpressed.

Like "pfft your character can do all these things? Whatever so can canon characters XYZ. your character isn't special. kind of a poser really."

It gets the point across quicker but it's a little mean.

When people can’t write romantic relationships without it getting sexual and then falling apart. Also (as much as I love angst) people throw in unnecessary angst out of the blue.

like one minute (random) they’re a cute easy going country boy and then their dad abused them and “yOu doNt UnDeRSTanD My pAiN”

if you’re gunna do angst. Establish it before, man

A similar thing happens in magic/superhero stories only at least there you can usually reverse the damage by just leaning into the camp. Oh you want to go crazy with your magical abilities/superhero powers awesome I'll do the same and we'll just make the laws of reality elastic as fuck. Starting with my character getting a mcguffin that cancels out all your characters powers.

I often think just leaning into the fun insanity of it can be helpful and just flat out refusing to let the person railroad you. Or if you are really annoyed just act unimpressed.

Like "pfft your character can do all these things? Whatever so can canon characters XYZ. your character isn't special. kind of a poser really."

You mean OoC, right? Doing it in-character usually results in their character starting a fight with mine.

It's really frustrating when I tell people to read my rules and when they don't I leave and they get angry at me. It's not hard to read something that'll only take a few minutes. I told you to read them, don't waste both of our time.

This past week I’ve had so many people messaging me, telling me they’ve seen my thread, and then proceeding to ask me to Rp something I explicitly said I either don’t Rp or Rp under certain circumstances. Like did you really read the thread? Because I’ve had three people in the past week that clearly haven’t...

This past week I’ve had so many people messaging me, telling me they’ve seen my thread, and then proceeding to ask me to Rp something I explicitly said I either don’t Rp or Rp under certain circumstances. Like did you really read the thread? Because I’ve had three people in the past week that clearly haven’t...
They don't read they browse, if even that. It becomes more about what they want to roleplay rather than your actual request thread. I had noticed a while back some people wouldn't even acknowledge reading my RT at all. They just jumped into ideas they were craving.

which bit ? The leaning into camp adding crazy powers to your own character and throwing logic out the window bit is IC.

The “your basic” bit could be both. It depends on your character honestly and how likely they are to be mean. Most of my characters are pushovers so I mostly say that stuff OOC if I want to cut out the bull.

which bit ? The leaning into camp adding crazy powers to your own character and throwing logic out the window bit is IC.

The “your basic” bit could be both. It depends on your character honestly and how likely they are to be mean. Most of my characters are pushovers so I mostly say that stuff OOC if I want to cut out the bull.
Did you mean to quote me?

lol yeah. sorry don’t know what happened.
But I meant the second part, about not taking the OP character in question seriously. They'll either attack your character, formally challenge them, or both, because they're making the character overpowered because they want to show off and someone thinking they're full of shit is a great target for a show of force.

But I meant the second part, about not taking the OP character in question seriously. They'll either attack your character, formally challenge them, or both, because they're making the character overpowered because they want to show off and someone thinking they're full of shit is a great target for a show of force.

I tend to just let my character get injured in that case. If the person is OP to the level I’m thinking they’ll seriously injure if not kill my character. So that way the role play is just over and the other person learns a valuable lesson.

Or if they don’t outright attack but just harass my character I get HR involved and either have my character refuse to engage with theirs OR use an NPC to put both characters in separate corners. Either way the end result is the role play is shut down pretty well immediately.

I tend to just let my character get injured in that case. If the person is OP to the level I’m thinking they’ll seriously injure if not kill my character. So that way the role play is just over and the other person learns a valuable lesson.

Or if they don’t outright attack but just harass my character I get HR involved and either have my character refuse to engage with theirs OR use an NPC to put both characters in separate corners. Either way the end result is the role play is shut down pretty well immediately.
But in a group RP?

When people make a search thread to then MIA. Sometimes I message people within a hour of posting their search and they never reply or just fall off the face of the earth! Hope they are okay.

When someone says "Oh yeah I write multiple paragraphs, I usually do 700+ easily." but send me an opener for their plot which is 70 words only no description about their character, the opening place, not a single damn thing. Yeah, nope.

When people don’t communicate what they want to do during a roleplay.

E.g. Person 2 asks Person 1 if they have any storyline ideas, and Person 1 is like “Ummm euughh not really.”

So Person 2 suggests something and checks if it’s something they’re down for and Person 1 is like “Not really but we can try.” Then when a RP has started, Person 1 says it’s not for them and they want something different.

Or when you figured something out for your character and they do the exact same thing

When people don’t communicate what they want to do during a roleplay.

E.g. Person 2 asks Person 1 if they have any storyline ideas, and Person 1 is like “Ummm euughh not really.”

So Person 2 suggests something and checks if it’s something they’re down for and Person 1 is like “Not really but we can try.” Then when a RP has started, Person 1 says it’s not for them and they want something different.

Or when you figured something out for your character and they do the exact same thing

I'm admittedly guilty of this kind of thing sometimes. I'm just so awful at coming up with plot that I rarely have any original ideas of my own. I'm a character driven writer so tend to just throw my characters in scenarios and see what comes out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back