Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must be so frustrating! I haven't roleplayed here on RPN yet, but I do know how confusing it is, as it also happened to me in the past. What exactly should I do? Thank you? Try small talk? The roleplayers can't really discuss much without at least a basic plot and discussing ideas. In the end, that lack of motivation when it comes to the roleplay and their lack of understanding the rules reflect that maybe they are not that interested afterall, or that they simply don't respect the rules stated by the roleplayer who posted those ideas.
And that's so sad. It is sad to see some analogic behaviours in daily life situations too. Frustrating.
It is, trust me. I'm not going to try to pull teeth just to get a response out of someone. I think if you are serious about approaching a potential partner, you will bring your A game meaning showing them why you should partner up in the first place. Have ideas, acknowledge reading their request thread, contribute, and it all starts by that first PM.

Or the RP posts that are just "He nodded."

If anyone gives me a reply of less than three sentences they are forever blacklisted and dead to me.

One of my Discord pals said she was in an RP and the responses got smaller and smaller until one post was just "..."

NOT EVEN A WORD. XD

So there's recently been a person that I have for our groups that has joined a few days ago. He jumped in without a sheet causing a panic for me at least. I gave a small message saying that he jumped in and everything is back to normal.

That saying, jumping in is one of my biggest pet peeve of role playing

If anyone gives me a reply of less than three sentences they are forever blacklisted and dead to me.

One of my Discord pals said she was in an RP and the responses got smaller and smaller until one post was just "..."

NOT EVEN A WORD. XD
I have a friend who says that someone had somehow managed to send a completely empty message to them as a reply. No letters at all.
I have no idea how that happened, but I think that takes the cake.

Interest checks which are super vague and ambiguous and the GM doesn't answer your questions.
Additionally, when they want certain parts of the plot to be a secret, but the more questions you ask the more you realize the WHOLE plot is a “secret”. Heck off man I want to know what I’m getting into.

Additionally, when they want certain parts of the plot to be a secret, but the more questions you ask the more you realize the WHOLE plot is a “secret”. Heck off man I want to know what I’m getting into.

Yeah, this ends up getting super railroady and stalled in plot. I had a partner that the RP started off strong with us just building a story together exploring their world and dealing with trouble. But then they suddenly 'had an idea' and changed course with the plot. And wouldn't tell me anything telling me they didn't want to ruin the plot. And it ended up in a huge circle and several times in OOC "Your characters keep messing up the plot!"

Yeah, this ends up getting super railroady and stalled in plot. I had a partner that the RP started off strong with us just building a story together exploring their world and dealing with trouble. But then they suddenly 'had an idea' and changed course with the plot. And wouldn't tell me anything telling me they didn't want to ruin the plot. And it ended up in a huge circle and several times in OOC "Your characters keep messing up the plot!"
Oh, I'm entirely guilty of this. It's surprisingly an easy hole to fall into... The thing is that most people get into RP because of inspiration from characters from TV, books, anime, ect. Except... You can't really play out a RP like a movie. Movies are linear. They have a plot they're meant to abide by the entire way through...The characters move through the plot, revealing secrets and making discoveries until it reaches a thought-out climax, and inevitably, a conclusion.

A RP is more like an expansive, multi-choice video game. You can't force your players down one specific route and have them slowly discover all your secrets, laid out meticulously for them. You need to plan ahead, you need to collaborate, you need to know what to do when a curveball gets thrown your way... cause they will. And if they're not, then you're doing something wrong.

This is further complicated by the fact that RP isn't even like a multi-choice video game, since in those cases you have the phenomenon of "I need to make the right choice to progress the story", which (In RP) tends to be an effect of a storyline that's too linear. Roleplay, unlike anything else, allows for true creative freedom: there isn't a right or wrong choice for your characters to make, only complex actions in the heat of the moment that have some sort of impact on the world around them. You can't lose the game, because "the game" is literally just a story unfolding.

All we can do is try to have patience and understanding for those who do fall into these traps, cause they're easy to fall into, and hard to get out of. c:

Oh, I'm entirely guilty of this. It's surprisingly an easy hole to fall into... The thing is that most people get into RP because of inspiration from characters from TV, books, anime, ect. Except... You can't really play out a RP like a movie. Movies are linear. They have a plot they're meant to abide by the entire way through...The characters move through the plot, revealing secrets and making discoveries until it reaches a thought-out climax, and inevitably, a conclusion.

A RP is more like an expansive, multi-choice video game. You can't force your players down one specific route and have them slowly discover all your secrets, laid out meticulously for them. You need to plan ahead, you need to collaborate, you need to know what to do when a curveball gets thrown your way... cause they will. And if they're not, then you're doing something wrong.

This is further complicated by the fact that RP isn't even like a multi-choice video game, since in those cases you have the phenomenon of "I need to make the right choice to progress the story", which (In RP) tends to be an effect of a storyline that's too linear. Roleplay, unlike anything else, allows for true creative freedom: there isn't a right or wrong choice for your characters to make, only complex actions in the heat of the moment that have some sort of impact on the world around them. You can't lose the game, because "the game" is literally just a story unfolding.

All we can do is try to have patience and understanding for those who do fall into these traps, cause they're easy to fall into, and hard to get out of. c:

I actually have thought of railroading RPers as forgetting their partner is a person and not a game console, or more accurately they are trying to be the game engine themselves. They just want people to hit the right page to move along and look forward to some huge plan. But most people play RPs in order to get into a character. And that means they aren't going to do what you planned. You are going to have a lot of tedium and loss of interest If you made your whole thing based on heading to the town hall to confront the leader of a town but the characters are more into breaking into the town records for info. Or if you make a huge plan for someone taking the villain prisoner but the people figure he deserves to die and not live. Or if you base everything on them working for one person but the bastards decide instead to go with the shady A****** instead. Real story building RP calls for a lot of thinking on the fly.

Having led RPs before IRL I can tell you that you can plan and look forward to unveiling all your world ideas and it usually ends up more "Well, guess we're doing this instead." and a lot of "Yep, that actually did just happen." and some wondering what the hey is wrong with these people you are playing with.

Overall certainly make plans for the plot but be open and have some ideas to help with moving away on the fly. The best RPs are the ones where the characters write the story and you go on for the ride.

using realistic face claims they are creepy and unsettling... I mean why are you using a real persons face for your made up character? I know it’s not stealing there identity or anything but it’s more unsettling then using some art realistic or otherwise, the focus some people have on expecting you to find photos of real people is annoyin, especially in rps that have a supernatural element since you can’t exactly have your vampire look vampiry when your restricted to having to use real actual people..

using realistic face claims they are creepy and unsettling... I mean why are you using a real persons face for your made up character? I know it’s not stealing there identity or anything but it’s more unsettling then using some art realistic or otherwise, the focus some people have on expecting you to find photos of real people is annoyin, especially in rps that have a supernatural element since you can’t exactly have your vampire look vampiry when your restricted to having to use real actual people..

I use stock photos. So I look at it this way - my library has a website that also uses stock photos as a part of their header. None of the people who are in those photos have set foot in our library. But we are not claiming that they have. The photos are meant to give off a feeling of "library". Furthermore those people took those photos with the expectation that they would be used by anyone who downloaded them for whatever reason they saw fit.

I agree that using actors images or just a random google search is a little weird. Because you have no way of knowing where those photos came from. But I would argue the same is true for artistic images. Unless you are drawing them yourself (something only a tiny portion of roleplayers have the skill to do) OR you are using dollmakers (something most people don't know exist) than you are also stealing someone's work and claiming it as your own. You are using a character they created for themselves or possibly for paying customers and just claiming it because you liked the look of it in a search.

That said finding fantasy people for real images is a pain. It's like man I don't want to have to make my own photomanipulation. It's hard and I don't have photoshop anymore. Can't I just describe the person and you just use your imagination?

I use stock photos. So I look at it this way - my library has a website that also uses stock photos as a part of their header. None of the people who are in those photos have set foot in our library. But we are not claiming that they have. The photos are meant to give off a feeling of "library". Furthermore those people took those photos with the expectation that they would be used by anyone who downloaded them for whatever reason they saw fit.

I agree that using actors images or just a random google search is a little weird. Because you have no way of knowing where those photos came from. But I would argue the same is true for artistic images. Unless you are drawing them yourself (something only a tiny portion of roleplayers have the skill to do) OR you are using dollmakers (something most people don't know exist) than you are also stealing someone's work and claiming it as your own. You are using a character they created for themselves or possibly for paying customers and just claiming it because you liked the look of it in a search.

That said finding fantasy people for real images is a pain. It's like man I don't want to have to make my own photomanipulation. It's hard and I don't have photoshop anymore. Can't I just describe the person and you just use your imagination?
I mean id be happy to just write description of how my characters looks but most DMs tend to want the FC

and as a counter point sure your using a stock photo.. but it’s still a real person, that’s what gets me.. they ARE someone.

sure what you said about the art stuff is valid but it feels less, creepy and bizarre, since there fictional to begin with yes you might be repurposing them for your on character... but with a photo FC your literally repurposing a person.. and constructing your on ideas and backstories into them... it’s just something about them being real and is so unnerving.... where as a art piece is totally fine

I mean id be happy to just write description of how my characters looks but most DMs tend to want the FC

and as a counter point sure your using a stock photo.. but it’s still a real person, that’s what gets me.. they ARE someone.

sure what you said about the art stuff is valid but it feels less, creepy and bizarre, since there fictional to begin with yes you might be repurposing them for your on character... but with a photo FC your literally repurposing a person.. and constructing your on ideas and backstories into them... it’s just something about them being real and is so unnerving.... where as a art piece is totally fine

If you are really worried about roleplaying a real person there is an actual website for that. This Person Does Not Exist
They aren't actual people it's just a computer generated image. It is random though so you would have to just keep refreshing the page until you ran across a image for your roleplay.

This extends to other SF genres. RPs that only allow realistic faceclaims but are based on illustrated media with wacky, out-there characters like comics or novels that only have graphic design covers or are from an era where illustrations were used exclusively are also a pain.

Gates here isn't gonna be in a movie any time soon, so how do you handle him?
1586827111013.png

This extends to other SF genres. RPs that only allow realistic faceclaims but are based on illustrated media with wacky, out-there characters like comics or novels that only have graphic design covers or are from an era where illustrations were used exclusively are also a pain.

Gates here isn't gonna be in a movie any time soon, so how do you handle him?
View attachment 709726

In my experience they usually use a combo of description and real images. So a basic image of how they think the "actor" for lack of a better world would look like. And then a description of the "CGI" or outfits or whatever.

I think we can all understand where I’m coming for though right?

I mean personally it doesn't bother me. But then my primary concern is that the images are given attribution. So as long as I know where the image came from I'm good. But if it bothers you that is certainly something that your partner should respect.

Using actors' faces doesn't bother me, because they are actors - you're just giving them a new role to act. But the way people use photographic face claims often tend towards being the same ten pouty symmetrical white twenty-year-olds and so I don't really like being made to use a photo for that reason. I.e. I know all the other characters will be bland af.

Yeah I'm generalising of course, but generalising from experience.

I don't do online group RPs or romance which seems to be the main area the specific face claims get really strict. Though I still had a potential partner make the demand of a photo or 'real person' face claim. And this isn't a nice thing to say, but quite frankly the demand came off as rather obsessive and possessive. The attitude actually made me opt out of the RP.

A: The attitude kind of made me look at this person as going to expect me to bend over backwards for them. Granted this was partly a large way this was handled by the person. Including only tossing in this DEMAND after talks were under way.

B: And also, if you can't imagine my character by description or art I've had done in your own mind in a style you like, then I question how creative the RP will be. I've RPed online mostly from DA. And have had people show me their characters in several styles from simple base recolors and slight alterations to full blown original art in many styles. Just like when reading a book just imagine the characters in whatever way you want as the story you are reading plays out in your head.

As I said, I don't group RP online. Way to many factors to make it not work. Talking to people who do group RPs it kind of makes me thing that the Game Master figures people seeing a set style on peoples sheets may help the game look more sturdy and have a stronger foundation. Sort of like not wanting your game to look like a Monopoly game that has Clue pieces replacing the game pieces and Trivia pursuit pies replacing buildings. And this makes it more likely to draw in serious RPers.

You can get this look in one of three ways. Demand using a maker which some people find cartoony, demand they have the art made by a certain person which is rather schemy or use real life pictures.

CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters Oh yeah with groups it is a hundred percent a consistency issue. It also helps you weed out the Exception Ediths. Where every rule has to have one exception and it's them. Oh you said everyone else had to have an actor for a face claim? Here's this hand drawn image I scanned with my phone. Oh you said everyone else could only have four powers? My character has six. And on and on it goes.

It may seem a silly thing but it is easier to just say - No everyone is going to do X, X, and X. That way you don't get any Exception Ediths who try to go their own way and end up looking like jackoffs or like the GM is playing favorites.

As for romance I expect it is because the person has a very specific idea of what their character is going to be attracted to and want that reflected in the visual for the character. At least that is always the feeling I get when they make the requests to me.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy yeah, when running something with a lot of people making sure you only get people interested in doing things by the rules is important. So being strict from the beginning on things can be important. When talking to others it's amazing how many of their RPs died because 'of that one person.' or because a small handful whined to change the rules and the serious RPers bailed because of it. My first attempt of my few attempts to group RP ended because of the GM not wanting to enforce things for one person so not to hurt their feelings. If they are forced to comply with a few hardcore entrance requirements to join you can weed out the trolls and attention hogs that seem to do nothing but try to jump into everything with the words RP and roleplay in it. (actually this can be said for a lot of things not just RP)

Yeah, I figured the romance RPers just wanted to have an attractive partner. It seems when people try to get romance with me they don't really care about anything other than you fitting their idea of a perfect mate for their fantasy. I've had people who suddenly start seeing 'chemistry' in our characters after agreeing to a platonic RP make all kinds of uncomfortable comments wanting me to tweak things in the character LMAO

CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters oh yeah those people used to drive me mad when I Co-Gm’d or did groups. Especially if they took a disliking to me and got me run off the roleplay. Had someone follow me into a peeve thread like this to bitch me out when they pulled the Favoritism crap on me.

Keeping in mind I didn’t mention specifics. So it’s like congratulations you just played yourself Karen.

As for romance hoo boy do I hear you. I had one guy who started out really nice go full on kinky boots in the OOC. Like would my character pet his like a dog and no no no no block ugh I need a shower.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy yeah, the people that seem to forget you're a person and not in charge of their happiness and then villainize you when you don't bend over backwards for them giving up your own fun. Had quite a few RPs go nowhere due to this kind of attitude. Especially the ones that basically act all okay with rules only to suddenly break them. Like you should be just so fine with that!

Yeah, people turning themselves in by seeing themselves in vague posts. I have a IRL person who lurks my art site account and recently confronted me for a non specific post I made, all upset it was about them. After they claimed they never looked on any of my social media accounts and were so over worrying about me. LMAO Then to top it off they were mad when I really hadn't seen any of their posts on any of their accounts because I really have better things to do than follow there drama.

Ah yes, the romance creeps. They want a romance and think even if you agree to no romance you will eventually cave. Because who doesn't feel the romance. Well, I don't. Because these freaking love stories actually seem to kill plot. Because they think the romance IS the plot all of a sudden. Even unrequited ones. And to be frank I find unrequited love obsession to NOT be romantic. It's more like a mental disorder for someone who can't stand the world not caving to them and being unable to move on. Especially when I don't see what my character did to 'lead them on'.

And yeah, I've been sent porn before and yes it's an instant block. One person as soon as they realized I was their preference of gender sent a post of their character well, getting kinky with themselves while dreaming of a passionate get together. Another person sent me a detailed rape scene because they were mad I wouldn't have my good guy rescue their villain who they were pushing would be a cute couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back