Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep been there mate. The inverse is just as bad or even worse, in which ppl act like your character can ONLY interact with one character. I love character interaction and getting others involved in the RP, and quite frankly I wouldn’t want to limit my world to one person, so I find ways to interact or work with other characters as long as it fits in the context. Even with romance I think it’s especially important to show that a ship does not define that character. I once had a situation in a romance RP in which the person I was supposed to be with, god modded hella hard, dragged my character far away from everyone else so they could be alone and proceeded to RP some more after already a dddddtaking so many liberties. So many pet peeves with that action alone but long story short I had wanted to talk to other people outside of my pairing u know. Lol

EDIT: just remembered this happened outside of my character as well. I was trying to interact with someone and then the person who seemed to always be joined at the hip of said character cut in and dragged her off before we could interact without a real valid reason. They were playing 1 on 1 in a group RP I guess. Like dude....

I like 1 x 1 RPs with both people using multiple characters. It can be real frustrating when someone tries to isolate characters. Or in this last case get me to make a whole new character just for one of theirs.

I don't ship, and the couple times I agreed to let minor characters wind up with someone elses, clear I was only doing it because they were minor, and not to expect me to really be into any serious romance those people tried to shove out my mains and make it ALL ABOUT THE SHIP! They wouldn't even double up on plots to make things happening for to her characters. It all revolved around the two hanging out and frankly both cases their characters became awfully toxic and unlovable. Like they wanted my characters to 'save' them with love I guess. One RP ended when I was ghosted for making the character leave their's when he hit her and tried to ban her going back to her boss. The second I ended when I told them think we had two different wants in the story and in the fixing it talk they tried to joke out of hearing anything they didn't want to hear.

Yeah, I don't do groups online. The few times I tried things kept not working out. My friends that do online often talk about people forming cliques and ignoring others. Kinda makes you wonder why they group.

People need to understand that, just like, people, characters don't always click, they won't always be able to be friends, they won't always be able to fall in love. And people need to be able to also separate the roleplayer from the character. You wrote such, because it was how your character would act in such situation, and that should be respected, because that's precisely what's expectable. My characters are normally huge introverts, with similar tastes to mine, because it is easy to know how they'd think in certain situations. Yes, in some levels they kind of resemble myself. But damn, we are two different people. My characters are, most part of the time, despicable and inhuman as well. They will be violent in certain conditions. If they harm the other main character, that doesn't mean I don't like the other character or the roleplayer, that simply means that, in such moment, that was what they choose to do.
And if you stated from the beggining that you weren't searching for a romance focused roleplay, the other roleplayer should respect it. And if they wanted such to happen, then maybe such roleplay wasn't ideal for them. It isn't just fair to leave without any explanation. But unfortunately it happens regularly :/

S6Vqm94.jpg

It isn't a big deal, but I am bummed at the fact that I am eager to participate in some group roleplays, as they have such an interesting plot. But I can't do it at all, because I have no free time at all right now. In fact, I shouldn't even be here at the moment 😅

Time is certainly a downside to groups. It's a lot worse to get side tracked for a number of days at work with a group RP waiting or moving without you than a understanding 1 x 1 partner that you've established you may have time issues with.

People need to understand that, just like, people, characters don't always click, they won't always be able to be friends, they won't always be able to fall in love. And people need to be able to also separate the roleplayer from the character. You wrote such, because it was how your character would act in such situation, and that should be respected, because that's precisely what's expectable. My characters are normally huge introverts, with similar tastes to mine, because it is easy to know how they'd think in certain situations. Yes, in some levels they kind of resemble myself. But damn, we are two different people. My characters are, most part of the time, despicable and inhuman as well. They will be violent in certain conditions. If they harm the other main character, that doesn't mean I don't like the other character or the roleplayer, that simply means that, in such moment, that was what they choose to do.
And if you stated from the beggining that you weren't searching for a romance focused roleplay, the other roleplayer should respect it. And if they wanted such to happen, then maybe such roleplay wasn't ideal for them. It isn't just fair to leave without any explanation. But unfortunately it happens regularly :/

Yeah, that is one of my main things with RPs. My motivation to RP is getting into the heads of my characters. People who try to force some scenes and set in stone events above what my character would do is a real mood killer for me. And yes, it made me rather annoyed as I thought it was clear I only agreed to the romance as they were both side characters and them marrying should have just been an extra thing for that setting and plot. The wedding actually setting up some potential things as far as groups and settings in the RP. But then they tried to change the whole thing to a PTSD husband and his wife trying to save him. And as for sticking in character the PTSD was out of nowhere and didn't pop up until after the wedding. A whole huge mess for sure. I actually didn't really care about the ghosting it all was so weird.

The wedding actually setting up some potential things as far as groups and settings in the RP. But then they tried to change the whole thing to a PTSD husband and his wife trying to save him. And as for sticking in character the PTSD was out of nowhere and didn't pop up until after the wedding. A whole huge mess for sure. I actually didn't really care about the ghosting it all was so weird.

Time to get a divorce. Just railroad it through. XD

Time to get a divorce. Just railroad it through. XD

Not just railroading also running rough shod over your partner. Worst sort of RPer.

LOL It was pretty much a divorce at the end. I had her leave him and flat out told them I wasn't making her go back or having my characters pity him. It's why the other person ghosted.

Last edited:
Can we please stop with the shotty quality low-resolution FC pics. It is 2020 image search is so easy to do now, why can I still not make out your character's face? Why do they look like they've been drawn over with a blow pen?

i think the biggest thing that gets on my nerves is people controlling my character — i understand in some circumstances, such as if we're in the middle of a dialogue heavy scene and in order to keep things somewhat interesting, the characters move to a separate room, something along those lines, but when it gets into the territory of making my character do or say things (normally without discussing it first) it just really gets on my nerves. i don't mind collaborating on a post, just please ask.

i think the biggest thing that gets on my nerves is people controlling my character — i understand in some circumstances, such as if we're in the middle of a dialogue heavy scene and in order to keep things somewhat interesting, the characters move to a separate room, something along those lines, but when it gets into the territory of making my character do or say things (normally without discussing it first) it just really gets on my nerves. i don't mind collaborating on a post, just please ask.
I have no tolerance for people controlling my characters in any way shape or form. I RP to get in my characters head. So someone taking over instantly removes me from the immersion of the story.

I understand that people always want to go after the available female roles in a roleplay. I have no problem with that, but when there are plenty of male slots open as well, I hate it when they are left out for one reason or another. Especially in a setting that needs guys around, too!

Idk, my head is wonky today and I just am pretty particular with gender ratios 😂

This little forum is just to vent and let your frustrations out. I find joy hearing other people's frustrations and being able to relate so I'm feeling very... frustrated right now.

"i onLy pLAy aS a fEmALe"

or when people will say they looked at your search thread but then ask redundant questions that are already answered on the thread.

JUST PAY ATTENTION PLEASE ITS NOT THAT HARD ;_;

ok I'm done.

EDIT:

this thread is SPECIFICALLY for pet peeves, not comic book heroes, not about if you think your character is x, y, or z -- PET PEEVES. please make ur own thread or pm to discuss that, this aint the place for it sweetie

View attachment 690187

Oh dear, you have no idea. I haven't been so much frustrated lately, because when it comes to the internet it takes a lot to get me ruffled and so it takes repeated mistakes for me to get "agitated". One of my HUGEST pet peeves however is. When people don't read what I have just said and I have to repeat myself a million times. It's like, just read the thread buddy, its not that hard !!!!

I just hate making others look unintelligent and I hate being treated unintelligent. I literally had to repeat myself five times in a thread. I really don't like it when people just can't accept that everyone has varying opinions on things. I often come across this with younger people however.(16-18 ) You know, those people who have little experience with handling the word
"no" or "I don't agree with you." I like to think its a bit of societies fault and bad parenting .I usually give those under the age of twenty one the benefit of the doubt, their brain is still developing,(14-21 frontal cortex is going through major development). Now that's not saying young means immature. I've met really really mature twelve year old's and teenagers in my work with elementary and high schools as a youth worker. I also really really detest when people take me as mean when I simply don't agree with them or I reject them from a role pay. It's like. This is my choice who I let in and out. Stop being a silly bitty and leave my thread alone.

That's my rant for the day. I'm not frustrated or even ruffled but I've been on this site less than a week and this is the peeves I'm running into.

Not angry, or even frustrated really, but...

Character sheets, plot concepts and opening posts that are adorned with images and beautifully formatted... but all crammed inside a tiny box without a scrollbar. Small, cramped text is hard to read, and on top of that the wheel on my mouse has a mind of its own and is more likely to jump about than to gracefully scroll.

I often find that it's easier to just quote the post and read its contents from the reply box, ha. And am very grateful for those who offer a plain-text version of their post underneath the aesthetic one.

Not angry, or even frustrated really, but...

Character sheets, plot concepts and opening posts that are adorned with images and beautifully formatted... but all crammed inside a tiny box without a scrollbar. Small, cramped text is hard to read, and on top of that the wheel on my mouse has a mind of its own and is more likely to jump about than to gracefully scroll.

I often find that it's easier to just quote the post and read its contents from the reply box, ha. And am very grateful for those who offer a plain-text version of their post underneath the aesthetic one.

I have passed up a number of interest checks and RPs simply because of this. A lot of them are impossible to scroll on mobile devices or a laptop touchpad. I can't read tiny fonts. I can't read low contrast fonts.

If people are happy limiting themselves to only rp with others who put "aesthetics" over function then fine, but they are likely missing out on some good partners.

Btw first thing you learn studying ANY kind of design is that form follows function. Shoving the text into tiny boxes is the complete antithesis of this.

When you spent an excessive time typing a reply with lots of contents and details, and the response you get from someone is somehow, despite how "lengthy" or "detailed" it appears to be, completely irrelevant to what you said in your reply as if he/she did not read what you typed at all. Which is probably the case.

(For example, I once was doing a detective crime 1 on 1 RP. In my reply, I typed up where the body was found at which street (C street in particular), the details on the body and the witnesses, and how my character arrived at the scene. My partner replied by saying she found the body behind a bar in which she was at and contacted me to come. Sure, the details on the body matched. But everything else? No. My immediate assumption is she probably just scanned through my reply, spotted that one detail, and included it in hers then claimed that she "read my reply.")

Likewise, in a group roleplay as the GM, you accepted someone because he/she seemed to have read and understand the lore. However, as soon as the roleplay starts, he/she began to post as if he/she has not read the lore, or even my intro post which includes pieces of the lore, at all. Which, again, is also probably the case.

This happened more than once so I can't just pinpoint one example. The 1x1 case I mentioned is just more memorable than the rest of my similar experiences because of the amount of effort I put into that reply versus what I got.

I dunno. Just made me feel a little bit disrespected when that happened.

my main oc has a very large scar so finding faceclaims is impossible and rps that require real faceclaims are nigh impossible to join. i have to make my own art for him but i'm also terrified of sharing my art. i can't win.

my main oc has a very large scar so finding faceclaims is impossible and rps that require real faceclaims are nigh impossible to join. i have to make my own art for him but i'm also terrified of sharing my art. i can't win.

Photoshop tiiiime! :)

I feel this in a spiritual level hahah Unfortunately, even though it is not ideal nor realistic, I often use the faceclaim and then specify on the character sheet their special markings. If needed, I'll also design the markings (often when it comes to tattoos) and preent them individualy.
Yeah I've had to do that before, surprisingly finding kids with tattooes is remarkably difficult.

I feel this so hard. Scars, tattoos, piercings, whenever you get specific about anything on a character it becomes hard to find a faceclaim. And I find it especially hard to find a scarred woman whenever I want that.

Urgh, the struggle.

I feel this in a spiritual level hahah Unfortunately, even though it is not ideal nor realistic, I often use the faceclaim and then specify on the character sheet their special markings. If needed, I'll also design the markings (often when it comes to tattoos) and preent them individualy.

Yeah, that makes the most sense. I just worry people won't pay attention to it since it's a pretty big part of his character since he has a bit of a complex about it :P I don't want to be several posts deep into an RP and have someone be like, "Oh he has a scar?" because I haven't brought it up haha. It's happened.

Yeah, that makes the most sense. I just worry people won't pay attention to it since it's a pretty big part of his character since he has a bit of a complex about it :P I don't want to be several posts deep into an RP and have someone be like, "Oh he has a scar?" because I haven't brought it up haha. It's happened.
Yeah I've had this, one of my characters was dressed in leather armour with a mask and sword while stood in a class full of 11 year olds (long story) and their character didn't notice despite it being the first time they had met.

Something that I find slightly annoying is that when you join an RP that has gone on for quite a bit, lets say 13-15 pages, and so you insert your character in to the story by reading the most recent post so you can at least get the gist of what is going on. Now here's what I get a little peeved, when you ask the GM a few questions about the story since it's not answered in the Lore or any other place on the thread and instead of just telling you the information, they ask if you've read through pages of pages of existing content. I mean, one I just joined a day or two ago, and I'm only trying to introduce my character. Two, the information is imbedded in previous posts so I would have to sift through quite of bit to actually find the information I'm looking for and even then I'm not sure if it fully answers the question I've asked. Third, why is it hard to just answer my question or give me a brief summary of what's going on than requiring me to have read every post from page 1 to 15?

Admittedly, I do think you should read post if it were just like 1-2 pages since it's not to deep into the story, but I'm kinda skimming through 10+ pages. Maybe I'm the minority in this, and you should read all the post prior to posting yourself. However, I think it would be nice if the GM would answer my question or just direct me to where I can find it instead of implying that I haven't taken the time to read through the rp post of 13+ pages. I've has a few GM here and on other websites that insist on reading through every post so you understand what's going on. Again, I have no issue with reading through everyone's post if it's just 1 or 2 pages, but I'mma have to cut it off at 3. Especially if we the rp is already 15 pages in. I mean if I have time I would try reading a bit more, but even that's a bit of a stretch. I just dislike when GM wants you to go digging through days worth of content to answer something they could have told you right then and there. If it's frequently ask then place it on the Lore page or something so newcomers aren't constantly repeating the same questions.

-rant over-

When you spent an excessive time typing a reply with lots of contents and details, and the response you get from someone is somehow, despite how "lengthy" or "detailed" it appears to be, completely irrelevant to what you said in your reply as if he/she did not read what you typed at all. Which is probably the case.

(For example, I once was doing a detective crime 1 on 1 RP. In my reply, I typed up where the body was found at which street (C street in particular), the details on the body and the witnesses, and how my character arrived at the scene. My partner replied by saying she found the body behind a bar in which she was at and contacted me to come. Sure, the details on the body matched. But everything else? No. My immediate assumption is she probably just scanned through my reply, spotted that one detail, and included it in hers then claimed that she "read my reply.")

Likewise, in a group roleplay as the GM, you accepted someone because he/she seemed to have read and understand the lore. However, as soon as the roleplay starts, he/she began to post as if he/she has not read the lore, or even my intro post which includes pieces of the lore, at all. Which, again, is also probably the case.

This happened more than once so I can't just pinpoint one example. The 1x1 case I mentioned is just more memorable than the rest of my similar experiences because of the amount of effort I put into that reply versus what I got.

I dunno. Just made me feel a little bit disrespected when that happened.

Been there. Been there a few times actually. Some people I think are just in it to type whatever and have it read and then see a reply message pop up. The other person barely really matters. And other's I feel like they are half way fan fictioning my character and already planning what they want in their head and not really feeling the need to focus on what I'm saying. These RPs normally don't last long for good reason.

Usually once you point it out once or twice they either stop or loose interest in the RP because they don't like you pointing out "Hey you kind of had my character do so-and-so when I said . . . " "Um that person isn't there . . ." or some other correction. But frankly I don't know how I'm suppose to invest in a story that contradicts what I write because my partner is being a ditz.

Had one person not reply back after I pointed out the reply made so sense for weeks. Then when they sudden;y messaged me asking if I was still RPing and I told them they never fixed the reply were like "Oh yeah that." Then sent another message wanting to start a all new RP they had an idea for!

tenor.gif

I guess that anyone in a real life setting would get a divorce after that o.O
And that mental illness thing... It is cool to explore new ideas, but I guess that portraying mental illnesses in a wrong way is more harmful than good, even in stories. That would be something that would make me feel uncomfortable, if I was in such roleplay. Hence, another roleplay pet peeve of mine XD

Oh I love to explore mental issues in characters. The thing is that odd little thing something you need to think about when RPing with someone. "Is my partner enjoying this RP?"

If you are whining and crying to go back to a character having some mental health issue and every post you have is a relapse you need to rethink. Curling into a ball and not responding, muttering a couple words over and over, or lashing out and hitting people in a fit of misplaced rage and nothing the other person does helps or has any effect at all then that's not really a RP. Nor is getting mad when the characters learn. Like my minor character leaving the husband 'destroying the RP' because she learned to not trust the man.

Or another where my character had no effect on a guy in the midst of a reoccurring mental issue getting word and instead of talking to him going to tell someone else. "They aren't even going to to talk to him . . . ." "No because all these ever lead to is a huge long ordeal of it getting awkward until they go and find someone he will respond too! Why should they keep trying when they should just go tell a freaking doctor and get his ' best friend' who is also your character!"

And the excuse they are trying to be realistic? Ever hear the quote "Don't let reality get in the way of a good story." Many people scoff that shows are not realistic (And I agree in some cases dangerous to people's knowledge) But real life can take a long time and be rather dull. I admit I'm one that watches a show and comments on the forensic team not wearing protective gear but I understand why a test is able to happen way faster in the fiction world.

Exploring a character suffering and being unhappy and everything is AWESOME. I have more than a few with bad backstories and even a character who basically specializes in dealing with a couple of them. It can be a lot of fun. But when doing it in a RP remember to communicate with the other person. And if they say something you don't like try to remove yourself from 'your thing' and think about the RP from their view. I had someone get really upset with me when I told them the RP was getting tedious and I sent them both a example of something I wrote on the side AND from a published book by a well known author of break down scene. Which kinda time skips the long drawn out repetitive stuff describing the wait itself in a timely manner.

Also, their is no reason if someone is freaking out and you don't want them to calm for someone else you can't have your characters BFF come in yourself! I'm in a RP right now with a pretty good partner and we have some triggered characters and it shows a lot more about a character seeing who can settle them and how than having them curled in a ball with a couple dozen back a forth of replies and them just curling deeper on themselves nothing.

If your issue turns out to be that you are waiting for the other person to do 'the right thing' or waiting for 'that certain trigger' then write that out yourself with your own characters because no one likes to be punished with monotony for not letting themselves be railroaded into your perfect scene.

Also pick your relapse moments for when it doesn't ruin something another player has looked forward to. If you characters and just can't wait to make the one with issues relapse then use another character!

If you have been RPing multiple story lines don't get so into the one liners of your character suffering you forget the other storyline!

Unless it's their thing don't expect the other persons only roll in the RP to be hugging your character and telling them it's okay every two minutes.

Remember that the difference between a hurt/comfort story and a mental illness fetish is that at some point you need to show the person can be helped. I don't judge people for what they are into in the confines of a willing relationship BUT If this is a fetish then please be up front and find a consensual partner! Don't turn a non fetish RP into something odd.

Sorry for getting ranty. I think this one is a huge trigger as I do really love making and dealing with dark pasts and their own triggers. Sadly I had a bad run of people ruining it so badly because they got all . . . weird with it and almost killed it for me. Fortunately I found a pretty good partner now for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back