Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters OMG villain character. I freaking hate when people want to basically re-write villain characters for a romantic pairing. I am pretty sure I mentioned this already but I was in a fandom roleplay once. The pairing was Villain and OC.

Now the person assures me that OC is really well rounded and not a one-note character. And proceeds to describe a "Not Like Other Girls Cliche." Like the entire background was just "she's a doctor who works in the same company as Villain." That the two fall in love because she "understands Villain better than others."

And I'm like.
1. This is a universe where Villain has surrogate kids. That he has worked with for years and who understand him pretty well.
2. This is a universe where Villain straight up murders one of his surrogate kids. And is super duper not sorry about that.

So I'm like...exactly how does she understand Villain? Cuz she seems to have not the slightest clue what this person is capable of. Or even what his personality is.

And it really all comes down with people just looking at a hot actor and building a romantic hero based purely on their looks. And not really paying close attention to the character as written or portrayed in canon. And I mean hey if you think the actor is hot that's fine. It has nothing to do with the character and you should probably just ask your partner to make an OC using that actor's face.

Last edited:
This happened all the time to me when I still allowed my online status to show. I always state in my RTs that I can be very slow and I try to get posts out at least every other day, yet I still would get messages EVERY HOUR/EVERY DAY with people going:

"Did you get my reply?"
"Do you have time to RP right now?"
"Hey/Bump/You okay?"
"Did I write something wrong?/Are you still interested?"
Etc.

IT DROVE ME UP THE WALLS.

People need to remember that sometimes a person has multiple RPs/partners they need to reply to. And some people really need to learn patience, especially when they should know (if it's stated in the rules) that someone is not a super-speed poster!

It got so bad once, I literally wanted to change my username to: BePatientWithMePleaseOMG

But it probably wouldn't have worked anyways, so I didn't do it... XD

Hi! I'm so glad I get to vent
I'm new to this site literally a few hours old and I'm already annoyed and have a peeve but its probably just me.
I get interested messages and then when I message back they turn me down realizing I'm new to the site and don't know what they are talking about.
Helloooooooo you were new at one point too! Maybe help me instead of writing me off?
Sorry I'll shut up now.

Hi! I'm so glad I get to vent
I'm new to this site literally a few hours old and I'm already annoyed and have a peeve but its probably just me.
I get interested messages and then when I message back they turn me down realizing I'm new to the site and don't know what they are talking about.
Helloooooooo you were new at one point too! Maybe help me instead of writing me off?
Sorry I'll shut up now.

Anyone who acts like RPN is rocket science is likely a bad partner anyway, there's like five rules lol. lt makes sense for them to want a writing sample because you don't have much content on the site, but new users shouldn't be disqualified for being new. Honestly that's ridiculous.

Anyone who acts like RPN is rocket science is likely a bad partner anyway, there's like five rules lol. lt makes sense for them to want a writing sample because you don't have much content on the site, but new users shouldn't be disqualified for being new. Honestly that's ridiculous.
Thank you that makes me feel a bit better.

MysticPainter92 MysticPainter92 also if you need someone to answer questions you might have you can pm me. I’m on most days just chilling waiting for my partners to reply.

And answering questions is like 60% of my IRL job so I’m pretty good at breaking things down.

This happened all the time to me when I still allowed my online status to show. I always state in my RTs that I can be very slow and I try to get posts out at least every other day, yet I still would get messages EVERY HOUR/EVERY DAY with people going:

"Did you get my reply?"
"Do you have time to RP right now?"
"Hey/Bump/You okay?"
"Did I write something wrong?/Are you still interested?"
Etc.

IT DROVE ME UP THE WALLS.

People need to remember that sometimes a person has multiple RPs/partners they need to reply to. And some people really need to learn patience, especially when they should know (if it's stated in the rules) that someone is not a super-speed poster!

It got so bad once, I literally wanted to change my username to: BePatientWithMePleaseOMG

But it probably wouldn't have worked anyways, so I didn't do it... XD
Hah, one of the main reasons I turned my online status off! I haven't come across a person like this, but I don't intend to, either.
Besides, RpNation is home for more things than RPing to me. Sometimes I just want to hang out/chat with friends. Sometimes I'm busy with other duties. And you know, sometimes I just want to read your post over a couple times throughout the day before responding. I need time to think of things, just because I haven't replied right away when it says I've read your post doesn't mean you're getting ignored!

This extends all over areas of roleplay. Some people constantly blowing up on threads or status updates about ghosting as if there should be a law against it or they are the only one it has happened to.

This extends all over areas of roleplay. Some people constantly blowing up on threads or status updates about ghosting as if there should be a law against it or they are the only one it has happened to.

I mean I understand getting upset about it, but at least go to an existing thread to complain. No need for the 3 new “why do you ghost” threads a week situation we have now.

M Mesenterium I mean I don’t mind the idea of someone falling in love with villain. Especially as that particular character had gone out of his way to appear charming and personable to outsiders.

But the series also made it super clear that was an act. It was not even remotely subtle writing that he was actually a very ruthless and manipulative person.

So it wasn’t so much a problem of romantic preferences as it was the other person didn’t seem to understand the characters personality and motivation.

Like if your character is naive enough to fall in love with a villain that’s totally fine. But don’t act like that means I have to change my characters entire personality so they aren’t mean or violent to your character.

every. single. character. is "moody/aloof but secretly kind/a softie". where are all the quirky ocs?? the shy awkward ones?? the ACTUALLY mean and nasty ones??
been seeing this trope played out constantly from the days i was rping as a preteen. sigh

Last edited:
CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters OMG villain character. I freaking hate when people want to basically re-write villain characters for a romantic pairing. I am pretty sure I mentioned this already but I was in a fandom roleplay once. The pairing was Villain and OC.

Now the person assures me that OC is really well rounded and not a one-note character. And proceeds to describe a "Not Like Other Girls Cliche." Like the entire background was just "she's a doctor who works in the same company as Villain." That the two fall in love because she "understands Villain better than others."

And I'm like.
1. This is a universe where Villain has surrogate kids. That he has worked with for years and who understand him pretty well.
2. This is a universe where Villain straight up murders one of his surrogate kids. And is super duper not sorry about that.

So I'm like...exactly how does she understand Villain? Cuz she seems to have not the slightest clue what this person is capable of. Or even what his personality is.

And it really all comes down with people just looking at a hot actor and building a romantic hero based purely on their looks. And not really paying close attention to the character as written or portrayed in canon. And I mean hey if you think the actor is hot that's fine. It has nothing to do with the character and you should probably just ask your partner to make an OC using that actor's face.

Yeah that sounds a lot of people I know that made me not even want to confess I liked tv shows because all they would do after was obsess about the bad guys. Literally referring to villains in terms along the line of "My bad boy/girl crush'. And if the show killed off that person then they would literally put on a huge mourning routine. For days. And even get mad at anyone that tried to talk about the show.

Also shipping villains with someone's character usually hits another thing I just cannot stand and likely mentioned before. People who literally just want to redeem a villain like the universe holds MLP FIM levels of forgiveness. Seriously with the bare minimum or no repercussions for all they did. Like the person I mentioned angry my character wouldn't rescue her villain and start a romance. Completely ignoring all established character for both people up til now. Character development needs a path to development. And these people are usually

"Showing love and forgiveness to her after her seeing what being the victim is like will make her good."

Oh your character is being tortured and raped by another villain. So sad. BTW you've had her torture people's family in front of them for info blow up building with people in them for not getting ransom helping with modern slavery deals including harvesting people for organs supplying human guinea pigs for labs and white slavery. And you've made her act like it's all a fetish for her. That she not only does it but enjoys it.

Yeah but my character isn't risking public safety on banking your character will do a 180 on personality and be a good guy just because she got to see the other side of the mirror. He would snipe her from a roof himself why would he bother to rescue her from being tortured when she's literally just getting what Karma threw at her.

I do love a good redeemed villain. But please make it believable with actual growth (and maybe seeing the consequence of past actions) and please don't use it for creepy attempts at trying to make me ship.

I have... quite a few, honestly.

My biggest would be people stealing characters off of Google. Just... plucking a piece of art off of it and saying it's their oc. No... no it is NOT your oc! You stole a character and you stole art. I am consistently appalled by the sheer number of people who do this and think it is perfectly acceptable. There are dollmakers, picrews, and even simply descriptions you can use.

My second would be people who ask if I am there a few hours after I replied. I am not an RP machine. Writing takes time. Rushing me will get me no where - in fact, it might make me not want to RP with you at all. I do my best to remain pretty active, but I do, in fact, have a life outside RPing! This seems to be a novel concept to some folks.

My third would be poor grammar and lack of spacing. I cannot, for the life of me, get into RPs where someone is too lazy to capitalize, add punctuation, and space out text walls. Now, I'd understand if I asked for non-literate RPs, but... please... spare me from the travesty of the poor grammar! Of course, I don't mind the odd mistake or whatnot, but... consistent lack of effort is... bleh.

My fourth would be people who complain about overpowered characters and then proceed to make their character the BADDEST, most BESTEST EVER villain who can shoot LASER BEAMS and fart ATOMIC BOMBS. And then my character I beef up to make it more fair, yanno, so it isn't an easy fight and then I get "uh, no. your character is overpowered?" or someone being angry about me not wanting to have their character win every fight. I mean, I get it, winning is fun! But choreograph with me, please? Lets decide the winner and plan accordingly, making the characters face consequences as needed. Not this whole "BUHHH BUHHHH BUHHHH MY CHARACTER CAN SHOOT LASER BEAMS??? I SHOULD WIN WAHHHHH" sort of deal. Powerplay sucks. Don't do it!

And as a side thing... I don't like when there isn't OOC communication. Please, talk to me! Plan! Let's plot and work together.

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more at some point, haha.

My biggest would be people stealing characters off of Google. Just... plucking a piece of art off of it and saying it's their oc. No... no it is NOT your oc! You stole a character and you stole art. I am consistently appalled by the sheer number of people who do this and think it is perfectly acceptable. There are dollmakers, picrews, and even simply descriptions you can use.

Just want to say...Most people don't go around saying it's their OC, they just use the image as a description of their character. No one who uses them claims they have drawn it, make money of it or have any fame from using them in what is often a private RP.

Most of the people I RP with also precise the artist when they know it (especially if it's an RPN artist, just look around to see all the gorgeous profile pictures drawn by Peritwinkle), or the anime/visual novel where it's taken from. But sometimes you just find on pinterest the exact representation, don't know where it's from and so you can't credit the artist properly.

Also, (not a lawyer, do have some law knowledge), doing so is not stealing legally speaking, as the usage of image for private studies and interpretation is protected (in Canada at least) by the fair dealing law. Also, again legally speaking, if you find an image distributed on a website that is intended for public viewing (facebook or pinterest for example), that you use it for private matters (aka not for personal gain), it is still completely legal to do so. We could argue about the morality of it, but for me, especially if the original creator is named, I do not see the problem.

Soooo yeah? Most people on this website are young, or do not have the money to commission artists to make an OC everytime they start a new RP. Doll makers have their limitations. If it's something that annoys you, simply ask people to credit their image search, a bit like people do when they face claim a real artist, but as long as they don't claim they drew the thing when they didn't or they don't sell you for real money a spot to RP with THEIR precious OC....it isn't theft.

Edit to add Pinterest terms of service : You grant Pinterest and our users a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide license to use, store, display, reproduce, save, modify, create derivative works, perform, and distribute your User Content on Pinterest solely for the purposes of operating, developing, providing, and using Pinterest.

Last edited:
Just want to say...Most people don't go around saying it's their OC, they just use the image as a description of their character. No one who uses them claims they have drawn it, make money of it or have any fame from using them in what is often a private RP.

Most of the people I RP with also precise the artist when they know it (especially if it's an RPN artist, just look around to see all the gorgeous profile pictures drawn by Peritwinkle), or the anime/visual novel where it's taken from. But sometimes you just find on pinterest the exact representation, don't know where it's from and so you can't credit the artist properly.

Also, (not a lawyer, do have some law knowledge), doing so is not stealing legally speaking, as the usage of image for private studies and interpretation is protected (in Canada at least) by the fair dealing law. Also, again legally speaking, if you find an image distributed on a website that is intended for public viewing (facebook or pinterest for example), that you use it for private matters (aka not for personal gain), it is still completely legal to do so. We could argue about the morality of it, but for me, especially if the original creator is named, I do not see the problem.

Soooo yeah? Most people on this website are young, or do not have the money to commission artists to make an OC everytime they start a new RP. Doll makers have their limitations. If it's something that annoys you, simply ask people to credit their image search, a bit like people do when they face claim a real artist, but as long as they don't claim they drew the thing when they didn't or they don't sell you for real money a spot to RP with THEIR precious OC....it isn't theft.

I definitely understand this mentality, but it personally bothers me if someone uses art they don't have permission to use. Using an image (with credit) to show as inspiration is okay to me, but using the exact appearance is not. There are easy workarounds for it, such as descriptions or dollmakers - these are limited, sure, but not as much as one might think - I can make almost all my characters in makers, or describe them. While it may not "legally" be stealing, it does not sit right with me. As an artist, I would not be comfortable having my art or OCs being used by someone else. Furthermore, as an artist and character creator, I would feel awkward writing or drawing about an already existing character! That said, I do realize that is not legally an issue, and cannot be punished most places. If that's what someone wants to do that, that's their choice. I simply don't wish to be involved in it, it makes me feel wrong for doing so, considering out of the hundreds of artists I've spoken to, there have been zero to none that want their characters/art used by someone else.

Legally, is it okay? Yup, sure is!

Morally, is it okay? Not to me, no.

But that's my own personal opinion, and I would not stop anyone from doing what they wish.

First off, thank you for the civil debate :D and for clarifying your position. I understand better your point of view, even if I do not completely share it.

Because for me, using someone else's one art, it could be viewed to something very similar to doing fanfiction's of artists OC. It interprets the image to what the writer think it's personality would be, giving it a second life per say. I can understand feeling skittish with someone using your work, especially if you are not that well known and the person doesn't even credit you! But at the same time, it means your work inspired someone enough to create a story around it.

I am not a graphical artist, but I do write (gaps a writer on a RP forum? what a surprise) and if I manage to publish an actual novel, I would love nothing more for it and it's characters to be rewritten in thousands of different ways. Similarly, I have some artist friends who do not mind, or even enjoy this process, especially when they are credited, as they view their art as something more public, something that can be reinterpreted.

Plus here, using existing character is really common, especially in fandoms roleplays as people interpret canon characters and make them live different romances and adventures.

First off, thank you for the civil debate :D and for clarifying your position. I understand better your point of view, even if I do not completely share it.

Because for me, using someone else's one art, it could be viewed to something very similar to doing fanfiction's of artists OC. It interprets the image to what the writer think it's personality would be, giving it a second life per say. I can understand feeling skittish with someone using your work, especially if you are not that well known and the person doesn't even credit you! But at the same time, it means your work inspired someone enough to create a story around it.

I am not a graphical artist, but I do write (gaps a writer on a RP forum? what a surprise) and if I manage to publish an actual novel, I would love nothing more for it and it's characters to be rewritten in thousands of different ways. Similarly, I have some artist friends who do not mind, or even enjoy this process, especially when they are credited, as they view their art as something more public, something that can be reinterpreted.

Plus here, using existing character is really common, especially in fandoms roleplays as people interpret canon characters and make them live different romances and adventures.

Of course! I've definitely seen this debate before, and while I have a certain stance on it myself, I do try my best to understand and consider the views of others.

I love to inspire people to create and be imaginative. I, too, would love to someday create stories that feature characters that spawn fanfiction and OCs. I would say, for myself, I would not want someone creating fanfiction or using my OCs unless I had a published story featuring them to which they could be credited. That's a personal preference, one that I have stated publicly, and I've known some artists who hold their OCs to be deeply personal and don't particularly want them used without permission. And as you said, there's definitely some people out there who don't mind their OCs being used at all! Both of which are valid feelings to have.

I'm not the biggest fan of canon RP (I did it in the past, actually! ) but definitely see it around! I have reservation when it comes to using OCs belonging to another, too, because when I am looking for original characters, I usually want a character completely created by the RPer, appearance and all. Using art and moodboards and other forms of inspiration are fine by me - like, say, you see an OC that looks somewhat like yours! Perhaps you use different hair, change things up a bit, and use multiple inspirations to create a new OC out of different parts, as you cannot find a doll-maker or describe them quite how you see them. That does not bother me at all, provided it's all credited.

But when it's just an image off Google or a ref from another person's art account? I don't feel as interested in RPing with that, especially if it's uncredited, which it usually tends to be - that simply makes me uncomfortable, as an artist, even if it's okay legally. Even if the artist does say RP is okay (I see a lot more that say don't use their OCs than do, which is why I strongly hold this view), it doesn't really interest me. And if the artist explicitly says no to RP with their OC, or doesn't have anything regarding that on their profile and has not been consulted, then it's a hard no by me.

I hope that makes sense! Coming from an artist who hangs around other artists, I know how much people put into their OCs, and it very much disheartens me when they are left uncredited, and their OCs are used without their knowledge and against their wishes. While some artists might truly not care, or ever find out, I want to be as cautious as I can, and simply prefer to RP with OCs that belong to their writer entirely.

On a semi related note, I hate it when people ignore things about your characters appearance. If my character is blonde, why the hell are you comparing her hair to dark chocolate? If she's six foot, how on earth is your 5"6 character observing the top of her head unless he's on top of the stairs? It just bugs me ;)

what really peeves me is when people don't try to help in the plotting process. it's so frustrating to have someone who wants to roleplay and you ask them if there are any ideas they have, and they give you one and leave the rest of the work to you. it just makes me aertyghjkjhgf

i just have to say that as an artist, i truly do not care if people use my art or designs for rp so long as they aren't claiming to have drawn it. while i do love my non-rp characters that i actually draw (i rarely do art of rp characters as i'd rather focus that time on my original work), the idea of someone repurposing them for a roleplay or similar usage doesn't bother me at all, even without credit, so long as they don't remove my signature. the artists i know irl are indifferent about it as well, so not everyone would get offended or even care. not looking to argue, just wanted to offer another opinion as someone who draws.

my personal peeve is the new trend of "application only" roleplays where the gm allows multiple submissions for a certain role and picks their favorite, or even skips the set roles entirely and just selects the characters that most appeal to them. obviously, not every character will fit in a setting and it's understandable not to accept op/joke/just plain bad characters... but if i spend hours creating a cs with a pretty code and a character that fits the lore, i expect to be allowed to join or told what i need to fix before i can jump in. the idea of putting in all that effort just to be ignored for someone else who is closer to a gm's personal preference doesn't sit well with me, personally. probably an unpopular opionion but oh well, i'd rather spend my time applying for roles i'll actually get.

i'm also not a fan of set roles in general unless they're vague, having relationships and backstories all pre-defined doesn't appeal to me at all, and forced romance is a big no-no. i'd be happy to snag the musician role, but not if he has to be dating the queen bee and the ex of the good girl... there's just not enough room to make the character my own if everything is already written out beforehand.

I think a good way to look at the art issue is a matter of courtesy. It isn't a matter of legal rights it's a matter of showing respect and courtesy to the people who put in the hard work of making the art piece your using. It also helps you learn how to search the internet responsibly which is just a good habit to have in general.

A lot of people are hoodwinked by false information because they don't know how to cite their searches. So a good way to get into that habit is to do a simple citation for roleplay images. It doesn't take that long either. You just click on the source of the image and see if there is an artist listed and just link the source with the artists' name.

You even put it in your cs :
Face Claim - Image by Artist from Site.

If you use sites like unsplash, pexels, pixabay, etc. they will literally provide you with a citation when you download a image. The same thing if you search through deviantart, zerochan, etc. The image creator is usually put somewhere on that site so you just look for them and add them into your CS.

I would say whenever possible search from the source itself but if you are going to use Google or Pinterest click on the image sourse. Not only do you get the artist but you also get a frankly better quality version of the image itself. I don't want to look at some pixelated thing you got by doing a ten second image search.

i just have to say that as an artist, i truly do not care if people use my art or designs for rp so long as they aren't claiming to have drawn it.

I absolutely share this position.

If you are using my art on the same site or especially same RP as I'm using it, we have a problem. Otherwise it doesn't bother me at all. Exceptions would be if someone has paid to commission me for their character drawing, in which case, I would not want other people to use it. But in general I don't mind people using my art for RP characters. It's non-profit-making use for a personal reason and that's fine.

Someone literally removing all your characters from being able to be around their only character they want to do something with and then get all upset you don't have any idea what you are suppose to do with the game as they left nothing to work with.

And they try to talk you into making a new character with 'ideas' of what they should be to help their character.

Seriously, they just literally just shut the whole thing down with refusing to reply to any of my character talking to their other characers and now what me to make a character specifically to deal with their LONER running off.

Someone literally removing all your characters from being able to be around their only character they want to do something with and then get all upset you don't have any idea what you are suppose to do with the game as they left nothing to work with.

And they try to talk you into making a new character with 'ideas' of what they should be to help their character.

Seriously, they just literally just shut the whole thing down with refusing to reply to any of my character talking to their other characers and now what me to make a character specifically to deal with their LONER running off.

Yep been there mate. The inverse is just as bad or even worse, in which ppl act like your character can ONLY interact with one character. I love character interaction and getting others involved in the RP, and quite frankly I wouldn’t want to limit my world to one person, so I find ways to interact or work with other characters as long as it fits in the context. Even with romance I think it’s especially important to show that a ship does not define that character. I once had a situation in a romance RP in which the person I was supposed to be with, god modded hella hard, dragged my character far away from everyone else so they could be alone and proceeded to RP some more after already a dddddtaking so many liberties. So many pet peeves with that action alone but long story short I had wanted to talk to other people outside of my pairing u know. Lol

EDIT: just remembered this happened outside of my character as well. I was trying to interact with someone and then the person who seemed to always be joined at the hip of said character cut in and dragged her off before we could interact without a real valid reason. They were playing 1 on 1 in a group RP I guess. Like dude....

i mainly roleplay with east asian fcs, but when someone uses the different east asian ethnicity interchangeably.

like i've seen someone use someone who was japanese as korean and when i tried to explain why that was wrong, they genuinely didn't get it. if you want a character of a specific ethnicity, then use a faceclaim of that ethnicity. it's not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back