Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to have total creative freedom over the plot at all times or you complain that it's not fun, you're not a real story teller, you're a hobbyist writer, so kindly excuse yourself from this story, and take your over-used, ultimately uninteresting plug & play character with you.
As a man who is writing and working on a comic book that I plan to get published I don’t think that you’re using the term “Hobbyist” correctly as I believe that true hobbyists do what they do with the same amount of passion and love for the craft as anyone else. I do believe that you are referring to people who use the Hobbyist term to deflect criticism which is a much more understandable take

Same for all of these. Bad faceclaims can ruin the vibes of the RP if they're being used in. I was going to make my own complaint on the subject, but I thought my general dislike of faceclaims would've discredited me.
Oh, it would've at least made sense if it was just a bad faceclaim. No no no, this was original art made for the purposes of the RP, drawn by someone in the RP.
Mate I hate how most superhero rps ban illustrated face claims but use instagram models for their claims
If you run a superhero RP folks, remember to make a "no e-boy" rule. If a CS says they're the child of Captain America or Spider-Man but looks like an instagram model, turn it down by default.

I don't get people's aversions to using art. It's a comic RP, you should be used to seeing characters in different art styles.
Assuming they bothered reading a comic.

No, quirkiness and a withdrawn, introverted writing style does not make your character interesting, but rather an awkward oddball that feels as though it doesn't belong in the story
I think you mean characterisation which doesn’t make the character themselves not fit in the story. If you mean the narrative style then I may be more inclined to agree. It can be jarring but I still think a little levity has its place

Last edited:
I just want to rant about the people who join a multifandom RP with a thinly veiled Self-Insert wish fulfillment OC that only exists for the player to make themselves feel better. Especially when you say that you don’t want other characters having negative opinions on them and “make them feel like shit”

Yeah it always makes me want to just be like “Hun if you have to make people say nice things about you than it’s not going to do your self esteem any favors. You should probably talk to someone IRL about this. The internet is not the place to get pseudo therapy (unless it’s one of those therapy apps were you can Skype a licensed professional). “

Like I get it it hurt my feelings when people told me I wasn’t good too. But I had a mini cry and I got on with it. I didn’t forbid people from giving me their honest opinions, even when those opinions where legitimately toxic

Yeah it always makes me want to just be like “Hun if you have to make people say nice things about you than it’s not going to do your self esteem any favors. You should probably talk to someone IRL about this. The internet is not the place to get pseudo therapy (unless it’s one of those therapy apps were you can Skype a licensed professional). “

Like I get it it hurt my feelings when people told me I wasn’t good too. But I had a mini cry and I got on with it. I didn’t forbid people from giving me their honest opinions, even when those opinions where legitimately toxic
Said person left the RP because I told them to do their research and read a book. Whined about how he RPs for fun but really I don’t like it when their idea of fun ruins the fun for other players

Communication should not be difficult; equal reciprocity. If someone gives effort to you, you should either not reciprocate at all, or give equal parts in return. Especially when you approach someone else. Be clear.

Said person left the RP because I told them to do their research and read a book. Whined about how he RPs for fun but really I don’t like it when their idea of fun ruins the fun for other players

Ooh it’s that “it’s just a joke relax” mentality. It’s usually because they know deep down they did something snotty but they don’t want to be called on it.

If I’m mad it’s not a joke and it’s not fun.

People complaining that a fandom rp doesnt stay true to the fandom even though the add clearly stated that it's an AU and was always intended as a "what if these characters had x happen instead." It doesnt mean that ALL of it's different or changed, but seriously what do you think Alternate Universe means? It's still said fandom universe and things that happened prior can still be cannon, but one event or another made things so the path x characters took made things different for them.

...if that makes sense.

When anyone who is interested in one of your plots just responds with hi/hello/hey.

I want to have a nice dialogue about what we're both interesting so it's clear what we're both looking for. First impressions matter a lot in that regard.

As a comic fan, this makes me sad.
as a person who is working on a comic book and was greatly influenced by comics it breaks my heart. Especially how practically everyone in a "Next Generation" Marvel RP get Spider-Man's character completely wrong when they sign up as their OC Spider-Man's child (Mayday is still the best because she is).

as a person who is working on a comic book and was greatly influenced by comics it breaks my heart. Especially how practically everyone in a "Next Generation" Marvel RP get Spider-Man's character completely wrong when they sign up as their OC Spider-Man's child (Mayday is still the best because she is).
I simaltaniously wholeheartedly agree but am also scared of being hypocritical because I myself worry about getting Spidey's character right.

Granted, I've only ever wrote about him in fanfics nobody will see but still...

I simaltaniously wholeheartedly agree but am also scared of being hypocritical because I myself worry about getting Spidey's character right.

Granted, I've only ever wrote about him in fanfics nobody will see but still...
Not to name anyone but there was one person who made a gay test tube baby/clone son of Spider-Man who didn't have a normal childhood and was just training and shit to be the next Spider-Man which goes against Spidey's down to earth nature. He wouldn't put his own child through that also said OC is named after his Faceclaim and not someone that Spidey cares about which irks me... Also the excuse as to why it wasn't even Spider-Girl or Spiderling was because "I don't want to take those characters away from them." is BS!

Not to name anyone but there was one person who made a gay test tube baby/clone son of Spider-Man who didn't have a normal childhood and was just training and shit to be the next Spider-Man which goes against Spidey's down to earth nature. He wouldn't put his own child through that also said OC is named after his Faceclaim and not someone that Spidey cares about which irks me... Also the excuse as to why it wasn't even Spider-Girl or Spiderling was because "I don't want to take those characters away from them." is BS!
I just felt a rational irrational pang of anger.

When I started reading that I thought it was going to go the way of "covert government project clones spider-man to make a super-soldier spider-man and trains him in an unforgiving training course" and not "Actual Spider-Man has a clone baby and trains him in an unforgiving training course to be super soldier spider-man despite this being a complete derailment of his character.

When I started reading that I thought it was going to go the way of "covert government project clones spider-man to make a super-soldier spider-man and trains him in an unforgiving training course" and not "Actual Spider-Man has a clone baby and trains him in an unforgiving training course to be super soldier spider-man despite this being a complete derailment of his character.
it's because they aged real time and for some reason he couldn't just have this guy be the gay son of Spider-Man or even gay grandson! No! It has to be cloned because of dumb BS! Like Spidey would do that...

Not gonna lie my best exposure to Spiderman is Tom Holland which makes that entire scenario seem like some Teen Mom baby drama on steroids.

Also rather than character assassinating an actual character why not just make it OCs all the way down? Or like one of those shapeshifing Aliens pretending to be Spider-Man? Or like evil doppelgänger Spider-Man?

I mean I don’t know too much about the comics but at least in the movies they did have the shape shifting aliens. And I think the last Avengers movie brought up the multiverse or something like it

latest

I'm gonna do a second round of these to try to get this back on track. Again, different people.
  • Dungeons and Dragons 5e isn't the only system in existence. You don't need to homebrew every IP into it, especially IPs that have their own RPG systems.
  • Speculative fiction has, in a lot of ways, stagnated on the site, and your fixation on military sci-fi isn't helping move anything forward
  • Just because you like World of Darkness doesn't mean every RP you do has to be a stealth nWOD RP for people who haven't played the game
  • A basic understanding of history doesn't make you as funny, quirky or interesting as you think it does

-> It’s great that you want to join my European renaissance inspired low fantasy but can you REALLY not be bothered to create a new character instead of your usual mysterious Feudal Japan ninja Kyo Shi who has an evil brother with an anime FC that you use in every other RP which also happens to be your avatar?

Someone’s gonna come at me with a pitchfork for this, I’m sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back