Experiences What was your first RP character?

What was your first RP character?

• Total voters
My very first character was Pilot Kelson - a 16-year-old who lived with his abusive mother in a trailer park. She would make him work the streets and sell his body (or just let men have their way with him) so she could get money and drugs. His body was covered in scars and had a younger brother, Kenji, that was killed in front of him. The funniest thing was that his face claim was Jake Gyllenhaal (think Donnie Darko era). My 11-year-old mind came up with that (I'm 29 this year haha) on the neopets roleplay forum buahhaa

My first RP character was a sentient slice of bread that never rotted and always appeared near dangerous objects to activate them and hinder people.

My inspiration was the game I AM BREAD and it was such a ridiculous concept that I had way too much fun RPing bread. To this day I think I have issues.

My first RP character was a sentient slice of bread that never rotted and always appeared near dangerous objects to activate them and hinder people.

My inspiration was the game I AM BREAD and it was such a ridiculous concept that I had way too much fun RPing bread. To this day I think I have issues.

This is gold 🤣

A blue horned dog monster I wrote on a Neopets forum -- she was, inexplicably, not a Neopet. I was 10.

That poll was really specific and strange.

My first RP character was Bones Lancet.
d5uvl37-4b6334bb-b835-4bdb-84c1-7edfc85dc577.jpg

(Not his original reference image)

Back in 2006 I launched an RP called Pride Sin & Glory. It was set in a dystopian, post-apoc wild west where vampires and demons had destroyed human society. Bones was my main character for the story, and the first character I made for RP. I wrote him in first person because I found it easier to walk through a scene at that time, and I also felt it made a better read for that type of character.

Bones was found as a baby by a prominent gunsmith by the name of Flint Lancet. Flint named him Bones because he was so skinny and weak for most of his childhood. I never really went into it IC, or with any of my co-writers over the years, but Bones was supposed to have a mystic, sort of semi-divine nature to his existence. I never actually fleshed it out or gave a name to it, but I knew from the time I made him that he wasn't a normal human child.

As a young man Bones earned a name for himself as vampire hunter. Over time, that name became legend. When Pride Sin & Glory begins, Bones is now an aging man. He continues to complete mercenary contracts, but has become tired. Jaded, even. He was a hard nosed, tight lipped, take-no-shit badass.

Not the type of character I like to play today, but back in 2006, it was my go-to. Having said that, I do adore Bones, even to this day. I think I did the archetype in a tasteful, responsible way. He didn't over complicate things or step on other characters toes, and that's the most important thing with this archetype.

I kinda miss PSG, and I often think about ways to restructure the plot and setting to make it doable today as something more than the RP equivalent of fondue.

I feel like I should rename "your dark side made flesh" as Edgelord. Or do people think those aren't the same thing?

I feel like I should rename "your dark side made flesh" as Edgelord. Or do people think those aren't the same thing?
At least in my case, I thought "Your dark side made flesh" was more personal than "This character is a bad guy so he should be super edgy with no connection to my own desires"

My very first character was edgy and angsty as hell. This would have been when I was 13, I think, back around 2002 or 2003.
He looked like Sephiroth, had an energy blade like the Soul Reaver which was linked to a demon trapped inside him, and couldn't die because the demon kept bringing him back.
So he was just a wandering swordsman who relentlessly flirted with every single woman he met, was quippy and zany, except when I was feeling especially depressed and used him to angst about the futility of existence. Part of his whole shtick was wanting to die because living was torment, but of course, he couldn't.
In retrospect I was just externalising my depression and loneliness.

Bones was sort of an edgelord. He had no fucks to give, and no shortage of one-liner quips at the ready. The quiplash was real.

One of my best actually just because the RP lasted forever. He had some kind of light magic and it was a classic adventure-against-evil RP. Eventually the random character development took him to a place where he was actually an alien and became king of some small Orcish tribe. He died once and got revived by another character. I decided not to replay him (as most of the other people did) in the continuation RP set a few years after, which didn't last nearly as long.

Oof... Hmm, first character I was really serious about playing was... Gellert Grindelwald in a Fallout Roleplay. Weird choice, I know, but it fit at the time.

The very first character I ever made was when I was 13-14? It was a wolf called Rain.

First human was a one dimensional character girl in a Palaeolithic setting. Truthfully I never really described her her in all that much detail and the roleplay was entirely made of one liners. So I guess it she would class as a self insert?

Jewel_of_Akhayee on Yahoo Chat RP in the early 2000s or late 90s....it was fun. The most inspiring of all my RP characters and I fell in love with my partner in RP....it was amazing...we really hit it off so beautifully

Jewel_of_Akhayee on Yahoo Chat RP in the early 2000s or late 90s....it was fun. The most inspiring of all my RP characters and I fell in love with my partner in RP....it was amazing...we really hit it off so beautifully

omg another refugee from Yahoo Chat. Hi five.

My first roleplay character(I think started out as larping...cause we had continous story lines and stuff...and then we later did our roleplaying on msn) was named Katie Wong. I cringe about this now because I had no idea Wong was a Chinese name at the time. Katie was half-japanese with her father being from Japan and her mother was white and from England. Research was not my forte at the time. Anyway, they lived in England because it was a Harry Potter roleplay I did with a friend of mine. She was in Gryffindor. She was kind of smart like Hermione, but quieter about it. I remember her being loyal and brave too. She was the voice of reason character(mostly-she would do stupid things with Adrienne so that Adrienne would come out of it alive) to her prankster best friend. And yes they stalked the main trio. Her love interest changed frequently.....sometimes it was Ron, sometimes Seamus, sometimes a completely OC character. She was 100% a self-interest to start out with.

Kate98976 Kate98976

My first ever forum roleplay character was an adolescent dragon whose name I've forgotten. She was an Earth elemental, so she had that very natural look with her scales being light brown with darker brown spots, her horns yellowish bone color, and her wings were made out of green leaves. She was very shy and clumsy (ooh how original) and started out lost, looking for her family. Needless to say that it was a fantasy RP with all kinds of creatures from humans to elves to dragons to unicorns and so forth, so she fit right in.

My next character was a naga, and then I joined some canine RPs, and eventually I moved on to elves, vampires, demons and then just plain ol' humans.

He was a hedgehog from the desert who had fire powers. He was also cooler than Sonic and had his own sidekick except he was a coyote instead of a fox.

I was like ten years old.

I was about to make a thread like this and found this, how convenient.

My first OC was a warrior cats character I created really quickly, but the first one I spent time on was a fallen angel named DarkRaven. Wore all red and black, had black angel wings, stark black hair, red eyes, and I remember combat boots being part of the aesthetic. She had a twin brother angel named LightRaven. I wish I was kidding. DarkRaven was a character I would often insert into high school roleplays, realism be damned, and she would have her wings tied behind her back until I inevitably had them pop out from her back with the reveal that she was a katana wielding badass.

EDIT: OH and she had control over all four elements (plus darkness, OBVIOUSLY) and animals. Also her entire family died tragically because of course they did.

Oh boy, I can't even remember all that well if this was really the first or not, but she's definitely one of them. She was this majestic ice dragon named Prisma, I barely remember any of what her personality was really like but I think she was some kind of dragon queen that protected her mountains in some way. Also later down the line she ended up somehow having half wolf babies despite her mate also being a dragon? I wish I could go back and find this rp as well as all my early warrior cats RPs I had around the same time just to read them, I've come such a long way since then I almost want to try and find some way to revive and reuse the characters with my current roleplay styles and preferences

When I learned about RPing I was just as passionate about MLP as ever. My first character was Red Fork, a pony OC that I still use a lot in all MLP related roleplays:

His personality and concept is an amalgation of many things. Here's what Red Fork is made of:

-His color (red) was chosen because red is my favorite color. His second color (blue) is my second favorite color.

-"Fork" was due to his trait of having a huge appetite. I never really liked the whole thing about making edgy characters. Instead mine were always silly and cartoony.

-Most of his personality is based on me and some characters from other media I like a lot. His personality is basically my personality mixed with the personality of characters like Sonic the Hedgehog, Po from Kung Fu Panda, and many other characters I don't remember at the moment. All those characters have in common that they're some of my favorite characters from their respective franchises, and that I identified myself a lot with them.

-He's allergic to peanuts, which reflects my own allergy to peanuts.

-The first time I ever used him in an RP, he was the typical Gary Stu who has a ton of love interests. Half of all the female characters had a crush on him at some point. As I matured and learned to avoid Mary Sue-ish characters, I got rid of the whole thing about having a bunch of love interests, and made things a bit more realistic.

I think his first portrayal would definitely classify as an idealized version of myself. He's still a self-insert, but I've matured enough as a writer to know how to avoid him from being a Gary Stu, and now he's actually usable in RPs, in fact one of the best characters I have. Nowadays he's mostly a more silly and exaggerated version of myself. I mostly gave him most of my personality traits, along with an amalgamation of some of my favorite characters, and gave him a bit of exaggeration to use him in a more humorous way. He's no longer the idealized version of myself, he's now his own character that has some of the silliest moments in some of my stories and RPs.

- - -

It wouldn't be until about 2019 that I'd have my first human RP character. I think his name was Mark? He was a prince in a royalty x commoner RP, but at that point I had evolved a lot as a writer, so all my characters were completely separate from myself, so I don't think Mark counts for the purposes of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back