Advice/Help What kind of things go in a RP Discord server?

BlossomsOfRainbows

*Insert clever comment here*
I just made an interest check, and if it takes off I want a Discord server to go along with the RP like a lot of other people are doing. Problem is, I have no clue where to start with it or what kind of channels to put in it. Any ideas?

-Announcements
-Rules
-Info/Lore
-General Chat
-Meme Channel (to keep them them separate from the main chat)

Are pretty common ones to include. I also usually included a suggestion, welcoming and voting channels. And if the RP is based on, say, a fandom, it might be fair to include a channel or two pertaining to the fandom or the medium as a whole. Possibly another or those having a spoiler warning.

I think you would need at least an off-topic chat channel and one related to the RP itself, maybe a couple for example plotting and characters. Depending on how much you expect people to use the RP other than for just talking (for example making and displaying character sheets) you might want an images channel and a character sheets channel.

I would personally do a verification set up too, just to keep spammers out of the chats and try to keep people in the server as you’ll get a lot of people who join and then instantly leave. It’s quite common.

I would also try to get a mod that you’re friends with or know personally. Having more hands on deck will help you expand the group, but also keep it under control!

- decide if you want a private server or not. if you want private you'll want to get a handful of bots to help manage that. i personally like YAGPDB for role permission management and I found it the easiest of the bots to use; big one was the ability to auto assign, as well as setup self assignable roles. sometimes I like to have a poll bot and a form bot (so players can use the form bot to submit character profiles). bots aren't required by any means, but sometimes they are nice to have because utitlity! Once they're setup it does make running the sever easier in the long run!

- setup your roles second so that when you start setting up categories and channels you've got the roles already made so you can assign them to each category and certain channels as needed. Instead of having to do it the painful way afterward everything is made.

- setup your categories i usually have: recruitment, world building, ooc, staff. sometimes I have a character cateogry and each character gets its own channel; sometimes i have a single channel in the ooc where players submit a link to their characters profile (gdocs, tumblr post, forum post, toyhouse or w/e they decide to use a wixit page) and other times I'll use a form bot for character submissions (least used option, ppl aren't fans).

- for in character categories it depends on how you run your games; but I made ic categories as we need them. i like to use arcs and each channel is its own scene because I run linear games. in an open world or sandbox setup i usually setup districts with locations as channel.

Also if you like I can give you a basic server template that will auto setup all the categories and channels. Unfortunately it will not copy roles or bots over, just the category/channel setup so you'll have to do all that on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back