Character Theory What kind of random things do you like to know about a character?

When creating your own character or talking about someone else's character what kind of random things do you like to know about them? Not the big things like powers and other obviously relevant things. Smaller things that can show a bit of character like favorite color, what do they carry in their pockets, food like and dislike?

Honestly whatever little tidbits my partner wants to share. I especially like thinking up pets for my characters and all the side characters too.

Last edited:
A fun one I like to think about is: What is this character's favorite animal? You obviously get all the cliché Wolf bad-boy wonnabes..

But I want to see a character spend a unhealthy amount of time petting a basset-hound puppy in absolute bliss.​

Honestly whatever little tidbits my partner wants to share. I especially like thinking up pets for my characters and all the side characters too.

A fun one I like to think about is: What is this character's favorite animal? You obviously get all the cliché Wolf bad-boy wonnabes..

But I want to see a character spend a unhealthy amount of time petting a basset-hound puppy in absolute bliss.​

The animals people like, don't like and especially love to have for a companion can be a good look into the characters thinking.

Food and drink. I don't mean their favorite food or drink, but what do they usually eat and drink.

That can be really good bit of info into a characters mind and habits. A characters food has always been a favorite topic of mine. Does he grab whatever is cheapest, does he pay attention to labels of ingredients and nutrition. Does he like food he enjoys or is it just a means to fill his stomach. Is his diet something special or would it make a doctor cry.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I love describing a character's body language and various subtle gestures that are exclusive for them.

I have a character that, when he gets nervous, subconsciously rubs his collarbone. Or he'll actually put his hand on his chin when he thinks, or he'll shy away from eye contact.

On the other hand, I have an intense, drill-sergeant-like character. She's not shy about eye contact, she'll cross her arms, she'll lean on one hip, and it takes a while for her to actually refer to people by name.

I have a sly demon character that will flick his tail in a fickle manner, is very active with his gestures and body language, and always has a smug, arrogant tone of voice.

I'm a big fan of describing those things, no matter who the character is. It adds flavour. Sometimes it's easy to forget to keep with those little quirks, but when you actually remember to use them, it's very endearing.

I also like "What animal would this character be?" Might not be one they especially like or want to be around though.

I also like "What animal would this character be?" Might not be one they especially like or want to be around though.

Hands down, Penguin...

I love hearing about a character's fashion sense and mannerisms.

For all of my characters, one of the things I first try to learn about is how they like to dress or how they would dress if they had all the money in the world. Some of them, of course, don't mind getting messy and will wear just about anything as long as it keeps them protected (I have a former slave character who is like this, he legit doesn't care) and I have characters that may not dress fancy or chic, but they like colors and to be in flowy and very pretty clothing (my lovely spear fighter loves making sure she looks like a graceful bird in flight at all times) and some of them like to constantly look like a Queen that is dressed to the nines and will look elegant even after an intense dragon fight (looking at you lil witchy).

I just think how someone likes to dress tells so much about them and I absolutely love it.

Mannerisms is the next best thing as I love talking about what my characters do when they get nervous or scared, how they react when something is going completely wrong. You know, the little ticks that give away their mood whether it be obvious or subtle.

I'll take literally anything my partners want to throw at me, though some ideas for totally random details that I like to add myself:
  • clothing style
  • (if I get into the character enough) what they smell like, how they talk, how they sign their name
  • likes/dislikes, fears, unique or odd behaviors
  • theme song that best fits their character

I make things up on the way. I had a character who was afraid of iguanas, for instance.

Overall, there's a lot to know about a character that's underneath a lot of blankies - favourite foods, homelife, all that. Most of the time the only way you'll know is through word of god.

What the character wants to do, is the only thing I can immediately come up with. But more pertinently, what the writer wants to do with their character.

One thing I find super interesting to know is a character's achievements. Now when I refer to an achievement I'm thinking more of what the character would think an achievement would be for themselves. Yes, you normally see stuff like honor awards or some sort of diploma, but I think it's fun to learn if someone's character believes that winning a food challenge by idk, eating a 3 pound bowl of pho, and getting their picture on the wall is a big achievement. It adds a little flavor to their history and personality.

I like to know all the little details my character would pick up when they get to know your character, like their height, posture, mannerism, voice, smell, all their little quirks. Basically the kind of things I could pepper in my own posts as well, as seen through my character's eyes. These are the kind of things you don't consciously think about but you'll learn to associate them with the other person, so it makes sense for our characters to pick them up as well. Of course you don't have to include all of them in your character's bio if you don't want to, but using those kinds of details in roleplay is a must for me.

I think what their room is like (if they have one) could be interesting to know. How big is it? What is on their desk? Do they even have one? Why do they have this thing instead of the other? Is the door locked? Things like that.

A characters family history. Their siblings, parents and grandparents, generational myths, intrinsic values, superstitions and traditions. The inconsequential details. The stories only they know, the consequences of which they might be unaware. The normality of which they assume.

I really guess it goes along with their opening post, but I like to know what my partner's character is thinking or doing. What brought them to where they are presently and where they might have been before. If they have a small goal in mind, I would like to read about it.

I like to know what they are planning next. If they are thinking about it. Like if they are gonna open a door and rush in to surprise someone in the other side, or what have you. When a characters inner monologue allows me to help them propel the story along in their favor without meta gaming it’s nice.

I honestly love getting a feel for who my characters are in action. When I create a character, I usually feel like what I have is a crude seed, and that can grow into countless forms. It's decided by their actions, response to story events, and what the other characters decide about them.

It isn't entirely untrue that I try to give them some quirk, but I try to make it relevant to the story. It should tell you something about my character, or make them stand out among tropes. A favorite food, but also how they eat food, their walk styles, an unusual ethnicity, maybe even a curse. Tattoos, body marks, and scars. Favorite type of music. Whether or not they would read. maybe they can't

I love knowing what a character's voice sounds like. I don't care if it's an actual real life voiceclaim or if it's just a description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back