Other What did you think about RPNation when you first joined it?

GreatDoggo

Ultimate Woofer
Henloz
When I first joined RPN, I quickly went to my profile page. I decided to give myself a profile picture, and a signature. I thought the customization on it was beautifully ranged. After that, I (might have I can't really remember) posted an Introduction. I loved the idea of having a stable site with good staff and to be able to post your fantasies, fandom's, and just have discussions with friends you meet. I was pleased to stuble upon RPNation. c:
(yeah I know this looks cringy v.v)

My memory is rather fuzzy on this subject. RPN was very different back when I first joined. Part of me was overjoyed at the sight of a place with proper roleplays (having come off the heels of the likes of deviantart and skype, which in turn had been a rather lackluster replacement for a site I absolutely loved roleplaying in but left due to awkwardness reasons), the other part a little worried about some of the rules. All in all though, it as pretty exciting and the site's format itself was neat too.

I remember the first thing I did was an introduction and then went straight to making an interest check. It was a fantasy roleplay which nowadays I would classify into the simple category. Back then I really loved the experience of my first roleplay on the site.

I had several years break in roleplaying, but two years ago my life took a turn for the worst, and I wanted some outlet to escape. So I googled some rp communities and found this site. It looked the most stable and active. I came across it a few years ago and I remember liking it, just that I didn't stay because the bad stuff irl had already started happening and I couldn't dedicate time to rp.
Most of my rp experience consists of forum roleplaying, so everything here was similar enough to things that I was used to. Another thing that made this site stand out is user-friendly UI and good mobile site version. Yes, for me it's important lol

So I registered here, added avatar and profile picture (both were very different from current ones), made an intro topic and then started looking for rp partners. And after a while I also started talking in other general threads, Roleplay Discussion and General Discussion being my favourite subforums where I keep lurking to this day.

Funny enough, I never made my own rp search thread, I was only looking through other people's threads and this was how I found all my rp partners.
Another funny thing, my most long-lasting rp partners on this site were the first two that I contacted after finding their partner search threads. And those rp are still ongoing, despite slowing down by a lot compared to the beginning. I hope we'll celebrate anniversary this year XD

I had little to no experience roleplaying, which was fun, but I'd been looking for a place for a Fairy Tail roleplay since the O N E I was in died on MAL.

The best part was that it was back when the threadmarks were in the form of legit tabs and such and I thought it was the coolest ass thing in the world

i couldnt stand rpn when i joined lol

id only joined as per a former friend's request, because he was in a roleplay that needed two more people. before then, i was roleplaying on ff.n, which was completely different from how rpn functioned, and i didnt understand how this site functioned. i wasnt used to using pictures for appearances, i thought we couldnt swear for until i noticed someone else did, i didnt understand the layout (and wasnt linked to the thread he wanted me to join), had never seen an interest check... the list goes on and on, and i hated it.

of course, seeing as that was years ago, clearly my viewpoint changed. what changed it? non-fandom roleplays. all ff.n had to offer was fandoms, so i hadnt roleplayed something that was just fantasy in years, and that kept me around.

I’d been doing chat rps on [sigh] Google+ for some time, but it wasn’t really doing it for me. Finding this site was a bit of a relief

Honestly, I didn't think I was going to stay very long. Maybe do a few RPs, and then go on searching for another, better site. But then I made a few friends, decided that the community and content were good, and decided to stay.

It's been three and a half years since then, and I regret nothing.

2015 was definitely a sort of Wild West-era on RPN in my opinion, it seemed like there was a huge boost of members and the site was even more active than it is now. The interface at that time was much better though in my opinion, with individual tabs for singular threads making it much easier to navigate seamlessly.

Now, RPN is sort of a juggernaut in terms of member population and popularity imo.

After not having roleplayed in years, I basically went to the first or one of the first hits on Google for "RP forum" or something, and it was this. I liked how the site looked organized and had categories for various genres (the forum I used earlier was centered around one fandom, with only a small subsection for other RPs). Also, the BBCode center sold me - while I'm not particularly good at coding, I love looking at everyone's wonderful creations.

Then once I joined, what I noticed and loved was how organized IC and OOC usually was, with separate threads for each (again, a concept unknown to my previous RP site). And I found the rating system kind of charming, too (I mean, cookies? Lovely!).

All in all, I'm very happy to have stumbled upon RPNation. People are generally friendly, there are lots of interesting RPs and even nice off-topic/general/... threads. I don't think it gets any better, does it? ^33^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back